Introducing Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Darryl Gregory

Re: Introducing Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera

PostTue Jul 30, 2013 3:08 pm

CaptainHook wrote:
thorthefifth wrote:Thanks. I hate to buy mft lenses since I already have some L lenses. That redrock adapter looks pretty sweet. May need to look into that.

I have the redrock adapter and the 85/1.2L doesn't work with it - it can control the aperture but focus still doesn't work. :(

Sorry to hear that Hook, May I ask does IS work when using the Live lens?

ryankroboth

PostTue Jul 30, 2013 7:53 pm

The livelens doesn't enable auto focus or IS, it is meant solely to be able to control the aperture of electronic lenses. Sorry for the bad news, but that autofocus won't work with any of your canon lenses =\

thorthefifth

PostTue Jul 30, 2013 8:36 pm

ryankroboth wrote:The livelens doesn't enable auto focus or IS, it is meant solely to be able to control the aperture of electronic lenses. Sorry for the bad news, but that autofocus won't work with any of your canon lenses =\

So the LiveLens can't activate focus by wire? I'm assuming the lenses I own are. Sounds like I'd better off buying a couple MFT lenses and calling it a day. That 12mm SLR Magic looks pretty sweet.

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jul 30, 2013 9:16 pm

thorthefifth wrote:I'm assuming the lenses I own are.

Which lenses do you own? The 85/1.2L is the only lens we have that doesn't work with the redrock adapter so it's still very much worth it for me. :)
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

thorthefifth

PostTue Jul 30, 2013 11:02 pm

CaptainHook wrote:
thorthefifth wrote:I'm assuming the lenses I own are.

Which lenses do you own? The 85/1.2L is the only lens we have that doesn't work with the redrock adapter so it's still very much worth it for me. :)

I have the 50/1.4 and the 17-40/4L and plan on getting more sooner or later as I'm primarily focused on stills at the moment.

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jul 30, 2013 11:20 pm

thorthefifth wrote:I have the 50/1.4 and the 17-40/4L and plan on getting more sooner or later as I'm primarily focused on stills at the moment.

I just tried the 50/1.4 and it works fine. I don't have the 17-40/4L to test but i have tried the following and they work - 14/2.8L, 24/1.4L, 50/1.2L, 100/2.8L Macro IS, 24-70/2.8L V1, 70-200/2.8L IS V2. Just our 85/1.2L focus doesn't work (aperture does) which is a big shame.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

thorthefifth

PostTue Jul 30, 2013 11:31 pm

CaptainHook wrote:
thorthefifth wrote:I have the 50/1.4 and the 17-40/4L and plan on getting more sooner or later as I'm primarily focused on stills at the moment.

I just tried the 50/1.4 and it works fine. I don't have the 17-40/4L to test but i have tried the following and they work - 14/2.8L, 24/1.4L, 50/1.2L, 100/2.8L Macro IS, 24-70/2.8L V1, 70-200/2.8L IS V2. Just our 85/1.2L focus doesn't work (aperture does) which is a big shame.

That is a shame. Amazing lens. I'm going to rent an adapter from our local shop and check it out. You may have talked me into it.

Dmitry Kitsov

PostWed Jul 31, 2013 2:25 am

https://twitter.com/Blackmagic_News/sta ... 2279985152

New Camera Utility 1.4 Software Update! Features support for now shipping Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera. Download now!
Dmitry Kitsov

Erik Swan

PostWed Jul 31, 2013 2:59 am

Turns out the "limited" shipment is actually just one camera per dealer. Yes, one. So basically no cameras for anyone until late August at the very earliest, and knowing how BMD likes to lie, probably late September if not early October.

Good job, BMD! :lol:

focuspulling

PostWed Jul 31, 2013 3:04 am

Erik Swan wrote:Turns out the "limited" shipment is actually just one camera per dealer. Yes, one. So basically no cameras for anyone until late August at the very earliest, and knowing how BMD likes to lie, probably late September if not early October.

http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?4 ... Update!!!!!

Good job, BMD! :lol:
The comment about Blackmagic "liking to lie" is uncalled for, and what you've linked to is really just one small vendor's plea for up-front cash. I'm more in favor of keeping things credible and patient in this forum, but there's always a bad (uppity) apple...
Paul Moon | FocusPulling (.com) | On the art & technology of filmmaking
www.focuspulling.com | facebook.com/focuspulling | @focuspulling

Erik Swan

PostWed Jul 31, 2013 3:16 am

focuspulling wrote:what you've linked to is really just one small vendor's plea for up-front cash.

No it's not. There's a good deal of evidence that this is credible:
  • Blackmagic did the exact same thing for the original EF camera
  • The information comes from a source within BMD
  • Henry Posner (Director of Corporate Communications for B&H) posted in the thread as well, didn't deny the information, and agreed that their PR & communication is amateurish.

You can try to be as optimistic as you want, but the facts and BMD's history points to this likely being true.

Panamatom

Nothing to complain...

PostWed Jul 31, 2013 8:16 am

Never expect ethical behaviour in capitalism. If that's the way they make money, they will continue. Everybody saw their marketing-plan when the BMCC came out. No surprise. That is exactly the reason why I didn't order anything until now. I like the idea of that camera. But who knows? Maybe I have another idea when the pocket is available in the real world.

Richard Oakes

PostWed Jul 31, 2013 10:13 am

So has Blackmagic started shipping cameras yet or have they just changed the july to buy it now on their page to fool people into thinking they made the dates they originally stated. And if they are just shipping 1 camera to each dealer then it's not really shipping is it?
Richard Oakes.

Zorik_IL

PostWed Jul 31, 2013 10:36 am

OK. I will wait till 01 of September,in case camera won't be available will take my money back.

magicvision

PostWed Jul 31, 2013 12:34 pm

I'm agree with you; it's the best thing to do, wait until september and take back our money for preorder,
may be we'll have an thrue and official anouncement for shipping

Vitorio Pagliuso

PostWed Jul 31, 2013 1:03 pm

I agree.
Yesterday a friend my talk to BH and they don't encourage him make the preorder's for any BMPCC or 4k.
So if nothing happens until a mid of august, i cancel my preorder !

Felix Steinhardt

PostWed Jul 31, 2013 1:04 pm

Called my vendor and urged him not to make the first pocket their demo. They agreed and since they were one of the first if not the first vendor to order from the distributor maybe.....who knows....I might get my pocket very soon.

Already loading the batteries and brushing the fur of my cat... 8-)

Jeff Troiano

PostWed Jul 31, 2013 1:18 pm

I have no intention of canceling my preorder. Looking forward to getting my hands on the Pocket Cam, even if its still a few months away.

David Franzo

PostWed Jul 31, 2013 2:12 pm

Welp, that's sad news about the one camera per dealer. Looks like Newegg is expecting a September 30th release: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6815710064

Chris Quevedo

PostWed Jul 31, 2013 3:46 pm

focuspulling wrote:
Tamerlin wrote:
hpmoon wrote:You should take a look around at the high-level performers in this area: the Super 35mm sensors on the Canon C100/C300 and Sony NEX-FS100/PMW-F5. Sure, they have flaws of their own, but in terms of crop factor and low-light performance, they kill the Blackmagic cameras (obviously).

You're basically claiming that no one can make movies with super 16 cameras, which is pure BS.

My point was that the Speed Booster/Lens Turbo adapters help to alleviate those major flaws.

Your point is still bogus, because they're not flaws in the camera. They're design parameters.

The speed booster and its ilk aren't there to correct flaws in the camera, they exist to allow people with lens sets geared toward super 35 formats to work with super 16 formats without investing in new glass.

I wasn't bothered by the size of the sensor, and neither has anyone else I've been working with lately, because we planned for the sensor size, so we have the lenses we need. We ran two BMCCs on a short film shoot this week, and we had no issues resulting from the format, and the low light performance on the cameras ended up being an asset for a lot of it.

If you still think that they're flaws, you should probably just go hang out on another forum where people are more interested in specs than in cinematography.

Your ego has gotten ahead of your logic -- a typical geek behavior, of staunchly defending toys owned, dogmatically -- but when reading between the lines, the fact is you compromised on quality -- just as surely as I'll compromise in certain areas when adding this camera to my kit, downgrading from my Super 35mm sensor but gaining more stops of dynamic range and a better codec. Different cameras for different purposes. Heard of the notion?

You evince a fundamental misunderstanding of lens optics, shrugging off the compromise of using ultra-wide lenses to compensate for the crop factor, while still being stubborn about the virtues of photosites being spread out over a larger sensor. Go read up on these fundamental concepts before posting, please. And good luck.

To everyone else, I promise this is my last response to his slapping match. Back on-topic...

ok a couple of things, and lets keep this civil guys. we all come for the same purpose, cause we love camera tech and film. we are creatives but lets not turn our creativity into being creative about how we argue.

i think the truth is between the lines anyhow. Super16, which the bmpcc uses a similar format, has been around for ages. it has been used in many film of many varieties. some people prefer it, such as the creators of the digital bolex d16. their film school has taught them its use.

now there are pros and cons, but the biggest issue is many have been spoiled by full frame 35mm. yes it will be harder to get ultra wide, so then why not plan for it and get a 5D mark iii with raw enabled for when you need an ultra-wide? yes its more money, but it would be a solution to the perceived conundrum that has developed in the minds of some.

Chris Quevedo

PostWed Jul 31, 2013 4:00 pm

frnz wrote:Welp, that's sad news about the one camera per dealer. Looks like Newegg is expecting a September 30th release: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6815710064

LAME!!!

tylerhinesfilms

PostWed Jul 31, 2013 8:47 pm

Is there a way that I can get this camera for free?

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostWed Jul 31, 2013 8:49 pm

tylerhinesfilms wrote:Is there a way that I can get this camera for free?

No soup for you!

:lol:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soup_Nazi

-

Chris Quevedo

PostWed Jul 31, 2013 8:51 pm

ok, i'm sorry but i have to ask. in what universe could this happen?

Andrew.Agnew@TheDoco.Co

PostThu Aug 01, 2013 3:23 am

Sure, they give them away each week with the Sunday Roast at The Free Lunch Shoppe...

Andrew.Agnew@TheDoco.Co

PostThu Aug 01, 2013 3:33 am

Andrew.Agnew@TheDoco.Co wrote:

Sure, they give them away each week with the Sunday Roast at The Free Lunch Shoppe...

Apologies, I shouldn't be so flippant. There are probably several ways you could earn a free camera. If you have an idea that needs one try crowdfunding, who knows if you try that and your idea has merit you might even garner some donations from the tight fisted bunch on this forum, if you represent a charity maybe you could convince BMD to provide you with a loaner for your project, perhaps Christine would be your first port of call if that applies to you.

...and if your just trolling... please go somewhere else... there's been enough anxiety around here of late,

hugh

PostThu Aug 01, 2013 7:51 am

I just wanted to point out to someone that its officially not July anymore, since he consistently liked to disagree with everything we said and just kept telling us to look at our calendars.

Richard Oakes

PostThu Aug 01, 2013 8:33 am

Briwil wrote:I just wanted to point out to someone that its officially not July anymore, since he consistently liked to disagree with everything we said and just kept telling us to look at our calendars.

ha ha
Richard Oakes.

bhook

PostThu Aug 01, 2013 1:33 pm

dimag333 wrote:it looks like july has been removed from the site and just BUY NOW is there, hmm

In the past that has meant they consider it shipping. Just don't take it literally and attempt to buy it NOW...you'll be very disappointed.

Richard Oakes

PostThu Aug 01, 2013 3:03 pm

Richard Oakes.

Christine Peterson

PostThu Aug 01, 2013 3:28 pm

dimag333 wrote:it looks like july has been removed from the site and just BUY NOW is there, hmm

I mentioned this in another thread yesterday, but pocket cameras have started to ship from the factory. It can take several days, however, for them to travel to our regional distributors, to the resellers, and finally to end customers. It can take longer in some regions than others due to different paperwork and processes that vary from country to country.
Christine Peterson

(Previously Community Relations Manager for Blackmagic Design)

bhook

PostThu Aug 01, 2013 3:41 pm

Christine, I have to ask another (perfectly legitimate and polite) question that I'm pretty sure will be ignored like the last ones...but I'm going to ask it anyway.

Why say "BUY it NOW" on your Website when you have to know that it is patently wrong and is actually impossible to BUY a Pocket Cam NOW?

You could say something like SHIPPING NOW, couldn't you?

Vitorio Pagliuso

PostThu Aug 01, 2013 3:51 pm

Christine Peterson wrote:

I mentioned this in another thread yesterday, but pocket cameras have started to ship from the factory. It can take several days, however, for them to travel to our regional distributors, to the resellers, and finally to end customers. It can take longer in some regions than others due to different paperwork and processes that vary from country to country.

Christine, one simple question. How many pocket cams started ship from the factory ? Numbers, please.

Gan Eden

PostThu Aug 01, 2013 3:59 pm

Quint A. Rahaman, Jr.

PostThu Aug 01, 2013 4:25 pm

Christine Peterson wrote:

Christine, for your latest post, thank you for the update. I do hope that even the negative and terse commentary that have been levied by some in this forum serves as a reminder that your products rock!!! As the Koreans say, "Fighting!" :D

Denny Smith

PostThu Aug 01, 2013 4:31 pm

It is not unusual in the photography world for a camera Manf. Shipping a new product to make the first shipment the dealer's "demo" cameras, followed by stock shipments. This was especially true before Internet marketing became the norm for announcing new products. Nikon, Hasselblad, Rollie, and Ziess all used to follow this procedure. The only difference now is, announcements are made with very short lead times on the Internet, instead of the 60-90 days lead time used by trade magazines of the past, that were used to make new product announcements. But, even with the additional lead time, many new products of the "past" were delayed past the planned announced availability date. All we ca do is wait and hope the BMPCC will be available soon. My distributor indicated mid to late August to me.
Cheers.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Christine Peterson

PostThu Aug 01, 2013 4:51 pm

Can't share any numbers, I'm sorry.

The "1 camera per dealer" information came from this email from Hotrod: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10538

"Pocket cameras will ship to select dealers (first ordered, first received) and 'limited' not only means a small number, the limited quantity for early order dealers is exactly one Pocket Camera. This is what Blackmagic did for their original EF mount Cinema Camera and it appears that history will repeat itself with the Pocket Cinema Camera as well."

With thousands of resellers around the world, we need to start somewhere! But shipping is a continuous process, so of course we're not going to ship 1 camera to each reseller and then stop. For more about how we try to fairly distribute cameras amongst our resellers, here is a great explanation from Blackmagic US President, Dan May: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5119
Christine Peterson

(Previously Community Relations Manager for Blackmagic Design)

Samjack

PostThu Aug 01, 2013 5:20 pm

In another word a trickle. And when it does start to ship in quantity Europe will again be left out.

focuspulling

PostThu Aug 01, 2013 5:30 pm

dimag333 wrote:only game in town, pun intended

This discussion is disintegrating into mindless one-liners, impatience, and grumbling. Since the forum backbone's notification system has only the one option, to send out an email for every single new post, shall we cut the small talk? Life is short...

Sean Pfeiffer

PostThu Aug 01, 2013 5:43 pm

Everybody needs to chill out. The cameras will come, but you gotta wait. I'm certain that if BMD had decided to ship out on time at the expense of proper quality control, the people on this forum who are complaining about delayed releases would be all up in arms about BMD releasing a defective camera and would almost certainly be saying "I would have had absolutely no problem if they had just delayed shipping the cameras a bit in stead of sending out an obvious beta."

The Pocket Cinema Camera is a camera that is about the size of a smartphone, it can record full HD raw footage(or at least ProRes at this point) and play it back, it can accept practically any lens ever made, can write to SD cards rather than the vastly more expensive CF cards, new batteries only cost about fifteen bucks, and can do all of this for under a thousand bucks. In all but one way(as a video camera at least), it is superior to the 5DIII which costs three times as much, and is better at its job than a lot of cameras that cost a lot more money.

I say stop whining about a missed release date and be glad that BMD is taking the time to ensure that their product works as advertised out of the box. Or would everybody here rather have their cameras now but find out that there is some kind of unforeseen bug in the firmware after a full day of shooting and suffer the consequence of lost takes?
Sean Pfeiffer

focuspulling

PostThu Aug 01, 2013 6:04 pm

dimag333 wrote:why wouldn't you just use either the "view your posts" tab or "view active topics" tab?

A discussion board is made for discussion right? :ugeek:

dimag333, seriously, we're talking about you. Stop.

Christian Schmeer

PostThu Aug 01, 2013 11:51 pm

I hope things will speed up a little over the next few months and I'll be able to get one easily (without pre-order/waiting time) towards the end of the year.
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

Samjack

PostFri Aug 02, 2013 5:36 am

Whirled_Peas wrote:In all but one way(as a video camera at least), it is superior to the 5DIII which costs three times as much, and is better at its job than a lot of cameras that cost a lot more money.

Not sure I would agree. If you are talking about the ML hack then no its not superior.
In some way yes because of the limitation of current CF card when paired with 5DMkIII and yes when you have 13 stop of DR but pure RAW video power concern with ML hack the 5DMkIII is moire free, FF or 135 is you may, better low light. I won't rule out ML perfecting DR in the near future to 14 stops.
Pretty sure someone will come up with a CF card interface with SSD in a not too distant future.

Sean Pfeiffer

PostFri Aug 02, 2013 7:31 am

Samjack wrote:Not sure I would agree. If you are talking about the ML hack then no its not superior.
In some way yes because of the limitation of current CF card when paired with 5DMkIII and yes when you have 13 stop of DR but pure RAW video power concern with ML hack the 5DMkIII is moire free, FF or 135 is you may, better low light. I won't rule out ML perfecting DR in the near future to 14 stops.
Pretty sure someone will come up with a CF card interface with SSD in a not too distant future.

Like I said, in every way but one, and that's even when considering Magic Lantern. The one way I was referring to is the sensor size which is a pretty big advantage to have, but it is far from everything. The fact that it can record footage in a format which is better than h.264(with better bit depth no less) out of the box and can play it back is almost enough to make it a better video camera(I do not consider what ML allows, playback). Now, I'm not farmiliar with the limitations with regard to the CF card on the 5D with ML, but if it is along the same lines as the DSLRs that use SD cards, then the limitation is beyond the scope of what A1ex and 1% can accomplish with Magic Lantern as it is something that cannot be changed through a firmware update.

I will stand corrected in that the raw format that comes out of magic lantern hacked canon's is 14 bit while the raw footage that the PCC will evetually(and better) put out will only be 12 bit, so I guess that makes it two things. Though I'm not prepared to concede on any issue regarding features that we have no idea if it will ever be available as theoretical future releases of Magic Lantern are all just speculation.

That being said, with all of the different features considered, IMVHO for 90% of all practical uses, the BMPCC is a better video camera than the 5DIII for a third of the price.

Granted, this is all academic talk, as we will not know for sure just how well all of the BMPCC's features work in the field until enough of them get out into common usage.
Sean Pfeiffer

Gan Eden

PostFri Aug 02, 2013 12:24 pm

Christine Peterson wrote:Can't share any numbers, I'm sorry.

The "1 camera per dealer" information came from this email from Hotrod: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10538

"Pocket cameras will ship to select dealers (first ordered, first received) and 'limited' not only means a small number, the limited quantity for early order dealers is exactly one Pocket Camera. This is what Blackmagic did for their original EF mount Cinema Camera and it appears that history will repeat itself with the Pocket Cinema Camera as well."

With thousands of resellers around the world, we need to start somewhere! But shipping is a continuous process, so of course we're not going to ship 1 camera to each reseller and then stop. For more about how we try to fairly distribute cameras amongst our resellers, here is a great explanation from Blackmagic US President, Dan May: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5119

WIll Australia, the backyard of BMD, be last on the list as per usual or will a special dispensation be Grant(ed)? ;)

Ikus77

PostFri Aug 02, 2013 12:46 pm

Hi,
I made a preorder on the BMPCC and send an email to my seller ta have some information on the date of the delivery.
I'm french and the seller is PBS video.
This the answer in french and an approximative traduction :

"Nous vous confirmons que votre commande est dans le 20 premieres enregistrer par notre etablissement sur ce produit.
En revanche BMD ne nous a communiquer aucune date de disponibilité. Les dernières informations "officieuses" nous laissent néanmoins penser que le matériel n a pas encore été mis en production et qu il serait assez illusoire d envisager les premières livraisons avant la fin septembre."

It said that i am in the 20 fist in the list of shipment of PBS.
And the last information they have (but it is not official) let's them think that the material is not yet in production and first shipments in europ not will not be made before the end of september.

Samjack

PostFri Aug 02, 2013 2:15 pm

Whirled_Peas wrote:
Samjack wrote:Not sure I would agree. If you are talking about the ML hack then no its not superior.

Like I said, in every way but one, and that's even when considering Magic Lantern. The one way I was referring to is the sensor size which is a pretty big advantage to have, but it is far from everything. The fact that it can record footage in a format which is better than h.264(with better bit depth no less) out of the box and can play it back is almost enough to make it a better video camera(I do not consider what ML allows, playback). Now, I'm not farmiliar with the limitations with regard to the CF card on the 5D with ML, but if it is along the same lines as the DSLRs that use SD cards, then the limitation is beyond the scope of what A1ex and 1% can accomplish with Magic Lantern as it is something that cannot be changed through a firmware update.

I will stand corrected in that the raw format that comes out of magic lantern hacked canon's is 14 bit while the raw footage that the PCC will evetually(and better) put out will only be 12 bit, so I guess that makes it two things. Though I'm not prepared to concede on any issue regarding features that we have no idea if it will ever be available as theoretical future releases of Magic Lantern are all just speculation.

That being said, with all of the different features considered, IMVHO for 90% of all practical uses, the BMPCC is a better video camera than the 5DIII for a third of the price.

Granted, this is all academic talk, as we will not know for sure just how well all of the BMPCC's features work in the field until enough of them get out into common usage.

In the grand scheme of things to many people who is into videos the ML hack is an assessory. Regardless of how you may make of it, it is a piece of software that improves your camera's ability such as a new more versatile lens or a editing software that get more out of ou camera. You cant do much with a BMCC without investing on a powerful PC or MAC with powerful editing software. ML hack is just another piece of software that makes the 5DMkIII sing.

focuspulling

PostFri Aug 02, 2013 3:46 pm

Whirled_Peas wrote:Granted, this is all academic talk, as we will not know for sure just how well all of the BMPCC's features work in the field until enough of them get out into common usage.

I'd bet money on overheating issues. Notice that the BMCC has an actual physical fan blower, but the BMPC doesn't?

IVIaverick52

PostFri Aug 02, 2013 4:49 pm

focuspulling wrote:
Whirled_Peas wrote:Granted, this is all academic talk, as we will not know for sure just how well all of the BMPCC's features work in the field until enough of them get out into common usage.

I'd bet money on overheating issues. Notice that the BMCC has an actual physical fan blower, but the BMPC doesn't?

The cinema cam has a higher resolution, higher RAW data rate, and pretty sure different CMOS manufacturer so those things could account for that.

On another note though, did everyone here check their email? Two sweet things to note, the 2.5K BMCC is now only $1,995, and they updated the bayer algorithm in the pocket to "increase sharpness in prores footage". Thoughts?

Chiaroscuro

PostFri Aug 02, 2013 5:10 pm

IVIaverick52 wrote:
focuspulling wrote:

The cinema cam has a higher resolution, higher RAW data rate, and pretty sure different CMOS manufacturer so those things could account for that.

Has the BMCC had overheating issues?... I don't know. It is however my understanding that outputting uncompressed raw to a SSD/SD card is much less CPU intensive than having to encode to some codec first (see magiclantern forum). ProRes encoding - I think - is also less CPU intensive than say DNxHD encoding. It remains to be seen then how hard it will be for the BMPCC's CPU to compress raw frames.
Jaco Spies
Visual Artist
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography