PC specs

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

murray finer

PC specs

PostWed Aug 19, 2020 5:16 am

Hi,
I'm in the process of having a new PC built and would like advice, or opinions on what the local computer company has offered me for the build.
I'll be doing a lot of music concert multicam editing, colour correction, camera colour matching etc.
some of the footage i have been given has not been that well recorded, so i will need to use a lot of effects.
Do these builds have built in graphic cards and if so, will they handle what I need to do?
Sorry, I'm new to all this.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Option 1

AMD RYZEN 9 3900XT 3.8GHz, 12 Core 24 Threads
Gigabyte GA-B450M-S2H mATX Motherboard, For AMD Ryzen
1 TB NVMe SSD
700w Power Supply
Microsoft windows 10
GIGABYTE 64gb Kit (2 x 32GB) DDR4

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Option 2

Intel Core i9 9900K 8 Core 3.6Ghz 16MB LGA 1151V 16 Threads
ASUS PRIME B365M-ATX COFFEE LAKE SOCKET 1151
1TB NVMe SSD
Silverstone ET650B-B 650W
Microsoft windows 10
GIGABYTE 64gb Kit (2 x 32GB) DDR4
Monitors

AOC U28P2U 28" IPS Monitor 4k UHD
or
Viewsonic VX3211-4K-MHD 32 4K MVA HDR UHD

Any advice or recommendations would be great.

Thanks in advance
Murray

alex0002

Re: PC specs

PostSun Aug 23, 2020 4:39 am

In an ideal world I'd want to be able to support fast external storage devices, which means I'd want to have 10Gb/s USB-C (USB 3.1 Gen 2) or Thunderbolt 3 ports. I'm not sure how much this would add to the price.

murray finer

PostTue Aug 25, 2020 10:56 am

Thanks for your input, I'll look into the costs.
Do you know if the graphics support will be high enough to handle heavy effects that I may have to use in davinci resolve 16 studio, or should I get additional graphics card/s as well.

Wouter Bouwens

PostTue Aug 25, 2020 9:48 pm

There are no graphics cards mentioned at all in these specs.
CPU: Intel Core I9 10850K
GPU: MSI Suprim X Geforce 3080
Motherboard: MSI Z590-A Pro
RAM: 32 GB Gskil Ripjaws 3600
SSD: Samsung EVO 970 M.2 NVME 1TB

murray finer

PostThu Aug 27, 2020 2:03 am

yes Wouter Bouwens, that was my original concern and asking if they had "inbuilt graphics cards".
i've sent an email to the company offering the builds, for information on graphics support, still waiting for a reply.
thanks for your input
Murray

Wouter Bouwens

PostThu Aug 27, 2020 3:11 pm

I am not sure what you mean with graphics built in. If its the cpu with integrated graphics, that will not be sufficient for what you want. Seeing as you want to apply a lot of effects, colorgrading etc, you'll need a dedicated gpu, with lots of or ram on the gpu, like 8gb or something like that.
CPU: Intel Core I9 10850K
GPU: MSI Suprim X Geforce 3080
Motherboard: MSI Z590-A Pro
RAM: 32 GB Gskil Ripjaws 3600
SSD: Samsung EVO 970 M.2 NVME 1TB

Knudsen

PostFri Sep 04, 2020 12:52 am

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B4 ... -rev-10#kf

Can't find option 2, this is a PRIME-B365M-A:

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/PRIME-B365M-A/

I would avoid mATX unless you really need the smaller sized box, you know exactly what you are getting and won't need expansion slots (you can predict the future). mATX does not have much for expansion slots. The Asus looks like it just has one, and that will probably be taken by a video card.

If you have the room, I'd tell him you want ATX in a mini-tower that takes full height cards and can hold more hard drives.

I have not rolled my own computer for eons, so I won't comment on motherboard brand. What's reliable changes all the time. Look into mother board reviews and google the MoBo model and keywords like problems, issues, etc. You'll find many issues with any popular motherboard, because there are so many hacks DIYing stuff. So look for repeat problems.

Maybe look into a Workstation (IBM or HP), not a PC. A workstation is more like server grade but made for desktop use. They often lack an integrated video card, but you'll likely want a separate card anyway. Video cards are options when ordering. My IBM has been running 24/7 for probably close to 5 years now.

jon

fajarpri

PostSun Sep 06, 2020 10:32 am

Hi,
Adding to other comments I'd recommend:
1. To add a dedicated GPU. This may need bigger motherboard and casing.
2. To check the read/write speed of the 1TB NVMe SSD. Usually the 1TB has slower speed than smaller like the 512GB. So, if it does preferably to get smaller NVMe SSD. Get 2 if you need the space.

murray finer

PostWed Sep 09, 2020 9:20 am

Thanks all for your inputs, leaves me a lot to think about and research.
The company got back to me with the graphics card they would install.

ASUS DUAL-RTX2060S-O8G-EVO-V2 DUAL GeForce RTX 2060S SUPER EVO OVERCLOCKED 8GB GDDR6 PCI-E 3.0 DVI-D HDMI DISPLAY PORT 90YV0DZ0-M0NA00 

Would that be powerful enough, or should I keep looking for a better set-up

Cheers Murray

robin0112358

PostTue Sep 15, 2020 2:16 pm

The RTX 2060 SUPER is a good card at the medium range. The price-to-performance ratio is excellent. Indeed, I recommend it in my DaVinci Resolve Computer Buyer's Guide, available at my resource page.

The main limitation of your system is that you have only one drive. I would highly recommend an M.2 NVMe SSD (the fastest type) as a cache drive, while a cheaper (still quite fast) M.2 SATA can be your OS and application drive. Then add regular old hard drives for longer term project storage (internal) and backup (external).

Your system should then be able to handle timelines up to 4K just fine, depending on what you actually do with the footage, of course!
Robin Parmar
robinparmar.com | theatreofnoise.com | stolenmirror.com

Mr.Boat

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 8:27 am

What the graphic car U wanna use?
1st build is better a little bit,if U buy a good cooling system and good case with at least 3x120mm coolers.
If You working with graphic design,or colors - second monitor is better.If no - try first one.

murray finer

PostMon Sep 21, 2020 9:01 am

Thanks again everyone, your inputs have been very helpful and thought provoking.
I'm going to revisit the builds offered and go for the best custom build I can afford, you've all given me plenty of choices to better what was offered
thanks again
Murray

Return to Off-Topic