Various Blackmagic Feature Requests

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Justin Barham

Various Blackmagic Feature Requests

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 6:39 am

Love your products. But, there's always room for improvement...

1) Make the playback devices work smoothly with Media Composer 6. As it stands, they have problems with audio during trimming. Live, fluid trimming is one reason one might prefer to use Media Composer in the first place. I have no idea what the solution is. I'm sure Avid's new I/O is partially to blame. But AJA's cards work while Blackmagic's and Matrox's don't. Fix it.

2) Put HDMI directly on at least one of your Decklink cards -- not something that requires an additional PCI slot.

3) Certify a more affordable Decklink card to work with Resolve.

4) Write Mac Pro drivers for your USB 3 products. Us Mac Pro users can't add Thunderbolt, but there are ways to add USB 3.

5) Make some tie-in software for that Teranex beast so we can put it's engine to work accelerating file transcodes.

Thanks for listening.Keep up the great work.
- justin barham -

Jesuan Soriano

Re: Various Blackmagic Feature Requests

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 1:45 pm

is just me?? but he sounded really rude??
Jesus Soriano

Justin Barham

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 7:07 pm

Sorry, I wasn't intending to sound rude. :oops:
- justin barham -

dmitry larionov

One more feature request

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 10:03 pm

Hi Blackmagic,

Thanks for making such a great product! Here's my five cents.

1. Node select and tree navigation using hotkeys, not just with Resolve panel. (next/prev node, go to start/end of a tree).

2. Grab selected part of a tree as still.

3. Let UI occupy both displays.

4. Add hotkeys for Curves/Qualifiers/PowerWin/Tracker, etc tabs. Meybe they're already there--then waiting for the hotkeys list to be posted on the official website.

5. Add full screen display on second monitor.

6. Add Reorder node, for re-wiring color channels and alpha. E.g., put blurred key alpha channel over RGB image for simple glow effect.

7. Support OFX (or other type) plug-ins.

Thank you! You did an excellent job.

Jesuan Soriano

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 10:08 pm

Justin Barham wrote:Sorry, I wasn't intending to sound rude. :oops:

don't worry maybe is just me that i read it in an angry mode!!! :)
Jesus Soriano

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Aug 31, 2012 9:21 pm

I'll just run down the list.

1> It's probably a little of Column A and a Little of Column B. Keep in mind here that AJA had an advantage as they were working with MC as far back as MC5. An option that was not available to us (and likely Matrox) as OpenIO was made available to us in MC6. So we could make some improvements, and we consistently do. They're just probably more incremental than people would like.

2> Cool idea! What would you take off? The Intensity Pro has HDMI in and out on the PCI bracket and it is just as stuffed as the Decklink HD Extreme 3D. You could case mod it, but I don't recommend this to anyone. You pretty much have to disassemble the entire chassis (for a mac pro, PC is simpler plenty of slots there) to cut a hole in the back wide enough for an HDMI cable to go in and out. It's hard to make look good.

3> We like to keep the range tightened to our most prolific products. But all boards work, as they run inherently the same driver. I don't frequently come across a problem that is specific to an un-certified board and not to the driver/app.

4> Problem here is not just the driver. The hardware is an important factor as well, as we can well see with the PC side of things, just putting USB3 on a peripheral board is not enough.

5> Much MUCH bigger project. But, cool idea.
Joshua Helling

Director of World Wide Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

MikeC

PostSat Sep 01, 2012 5:54 pm

Here's a suggestion for Resolve 9:

I think it would be cool if I could click on an additional icon for scopes on the lower right-hand side of the GUI (right above "Keyframes" and next to the "Light Box View" the magnifying glass and the info icons). That way you could toggle back and forth between "Keyframes" and "Scopes".

I think it would be a cool and useful addition for those of us who have to maximize our workspace because we're using *gasp* a MacBook Pro.

Thanks!

m1cst4rr

PostTue Sep 25, 2012 6:37 pm

Don´t want to open a new thread so here are some additional feature requests for Resolve 9 (light):

1. Monitor selection, so that the full screen application can run on any monitor attached and not just the primary display.
2. Type-in function for primary parameters like Gamma, Gain and the RGB Mixer.

Thank you!

Return to Post Production