Massive Audio Drift Issues - ATEM Mini Pro

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

quadjojo

Massive Audio Drift Issues - ATEM Mini Pro

PostFri Jun 26, 2020 9:42 am

Hey everyone,

my setup is:
Sony a6500 on 50fps 48Khz connected to HDMI 1 on the Atem
Macbook Pro with Keynote connected to HDMI 2 on the Atem (set to 50Hz, 48Khz)
Mic connected to Mic1 on Atem with 2 Frames Delay
Mic1 and Keynote audio are enabled.

Atem Mini Pro connected to a iMac via USBc with Zoom as my Main Program.
Atem Mini Pro is set to output 1080p/25fps

Im using a Greenscreen, so my Sony Image is keyed and the Keynote is my Background Image.

Zoom is set to use the Blackmagic Device for Video and Audio.

And now to the Problem :
Im getting massive Audio drifts with my setup in zoom that happen sporadically.
The Audio Sync is up to 1 sec off.
I also recorded the Atem output with OBS and the delay is still there, so zoom doesn't cause it.
Both Machines, iMac and Macbook are modern machines and should handle that easily.

Has anyone had a similar experience with the Atem Mini?
Any suggestions how to fix that problem?

Thanks!
Jojo

Canyons

Re: Massive Audio Drift Issues - ATEM Mini Pro

PostSun Jun 28, 2020 3:27 am

FWIW:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=116112#p639586

For me I've no evidence of it (yet) on the Mini Pro output, it seems to be at the player. But I'm noting these reports of about 1 to 2 second delay which is what infrequently comes up for us as well. I'd never seen or heard anybody notice this with our pre Mini Pro setups.

I do have one person who seemed to be having the issue more often when I maxed the feed quality versus minimizing it.

HTH

quadjojo

PostSun Jun 28, 2020 8:54 am

Thanks for your answer Charles,

but in my case the Delay isn't taking place on the Platform the Mini Pro is streaming to.

The delay occurs on the "Webcam Output" of the Mini Pro, regardless of the Software i am using
(Zoom, OBS, Skype, ...). I can see it when opening and displaying the Webcam out on Screen.

dave.j

PostFri Jul 03, 2020 3:41 pm

Any luck with a resolution for this drift issue?
I've been getting a similar issue - audio in via camera HDMI feed, then into laptop via USB...broadcasting with OBS and StreamYard has had similar issue - during the live stream a ticking noise starts, after some time there's 15 seconds of static & echo then the audio returns but it's up to a second lagging behind the visuals.

The only 2 consistent items in my testing are the ATEM Mini Pro & my macbook pro (though it's a pretty highly spec'd video editing machine so I doubt it's the laptop causing this).

Has anyone else had this issue...and solved it?

quadjojo

PostFri Jul 10, 2020 8:35 pm

Hey Dave!
No, sorry. I couldn't solve those problems and so i couldn't rely on the ATEM Mini Pro... i returned it.
I'm now using the all Software Solution Ecamm Live with a Camlink 4k Adapter - no problems.
Normally i prefer Hardware.. but that didn't work out...
Toby

SRQspeaker

PostWed Jul 15, 2020 6:34 pm

I too have this issue and it is rendering my ATEM Mini Pro useless for me. The audio drift usually starts anywhere from 45 to 60 minutes into a Zoom session. If I disconnect and reconnect the USB (or change video in Zoom to another camera and then switch back to ATEM) the audio drift is gone and all is well. Thinking it might be a driver (USB? or NVIDIA card?) but have no idea.

pturner

PostFri Jul 17, 2020 12:17 am

Hi all

Having the same issues.

Equipment:
- Pana GH5(on HDMI 1)
- Macbook Pro 15 (late 2016) ( in HDMI 2, presenting PPT screen), then out USB-C in for capture
- ATEM Mini
- capture into OBS

At first I thought this was the CPU of the MBP being overloaded, but ended up running a test using two MBPs - one to present + the other to capture the output. Same issue. Thought it might be OBS, but changed to quicktime + still had the issue.

Same as others. It will be okay for a while, then the audio beings to drift. The video appears to jump frames to then realign it later. I thought it might happen when switching between scenes, but it seems to occur randomly. Makes the work in post production almost impossible.

Thinking it is a problem within the ATEM Mini?
I'm going to do some tests to make sure that the audio is all set to 48kHz + set the frame rates to 1080p60 across all devices.

Failing that, it's going back to the shop.
I can't depend on it to capture content at the speed I need to produce it.

Anyone else have ideas?

Cheers
PT

fr4nkle

PostSat Jul 18, 2020 4:34 pm

I have also been having these issues with my ATEM Mini Pro and MacBook Pro, while streaming to Zoom.

I have been able to replicate this now 3 times tonight, 2 of them I've managed to capture with OBS.

Not sure what's going on but I'll go through the system logs and see if I can find anything.

MacBook Pro 15" Late 2015, 2.5GHz Quad i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Mojave 10.14.6
Zoom 5.1.2 (Also happened with 5.0.5)
ATEM Mini Pro, ATEM Software Control 8.3 (also happened with 8.2.3)

I'll also test with my old Dell Latitude E7250 running Windows 10 to see if it still happens ... I'll be annoyed if it does but probably more annoyed if it doesn't!

dlt123me

PostTue Jul 21, 2020 12:10 am

Is this happening only on Macs or is this also happening on PCS also?
What you believe, does not change reality.

Frank Engel

PostTue Jul 21, 2020 9:03 am

This has been reported previously in other threads and indications are that it started after a particular firmware update:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=112088&p=617577

If you search the forums you will find reports of similar sync drift issues with other past BMD products also, at least some of which were resolved via firmware updates, so I suspect this may be a BMD firmware issue rather than a MacOS or hardware one.

That said I have not yet experienced this myself.

Denny Smith

PostTue Jul 21, 2020 7:12 pm

Also, this eels to be a Zoom application issue, so it is computer/Zoom software issue, not the camera/ ATEM Mini if it works OK in other streaming applications. Previous versions of Zoom have been problematic with various video/ audio sources.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Frank Engel

PostWed Jul 22, 2020 9:07 am

Denny Smith wrote:Also, this eels to be a Zoom application issue, so it is computer/Zoom software issue, not the camera/ ATEM Mini if it works OK in other streaming applications. Previous versions of Zoom have been problematic with various video/ audio sources.
Cheers

If you check the 2nd reply on this thread, someone reported it is happening with multiple applications, including OBS studio, so it is unlikely that this is strictly a Zoom issue.

Denny Smith

PostWed Jul 22, 2020 6:44 pm

Thanks Frank, missed that one. One way to check is feed the usb to a flash drive, and see if the recorded audio drifts. If so, than it is the Mini Pro switcher, if not, than it is computer/ software issue.
Cheers.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

fr4nkle

PostFri Jul 24, 2020 1:51 pm

An update from my part of the world ...

Monday night Zoom with Dell e7250 ... no issues for entire 2 hour session.

Wednesday night Zoom with Dell e7250 ... no issues for entire 2 hour session.

Friday night (tonight) Zoom with Razer Blade 14" Late 2016 ... issues at 1hr30min ... exactly the same audio echo, distortion and then 1 second delay with normal audio. I was able to correct it by swapping to inbuilt audio within Zoom, and back to ATEM Audio.

Dell e7250 Specs:
i7-5600U Dual Core 2.6GHz, 8GB RAM, 256GB mSATA SSD, Intel 7265 WiFi, Intel HD Graphics 5500
Windows 10 Pro 1903, ATEM Software Control 8.2.3

Razer Blade 14" Late 2016 Specs:
i7-6700HQ Quad Core 2.6GHz, 16GB RAM, 2TB NVMe SSD, Intel 8265 WiFi, Intel HD Graphics 530, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB
Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 1809, ATEM Software Control 8.3

So ... any ideas or things for me to try? I do have a number of other computers to test out including the latest MacBook Pro 13" with 10th Gen i7 (Catalina 10.15.6), iMac 27" 2015 (Mojave 10.14.6), Desktop PC with i7-9700K & RTX 2070 Super (Win 10 Pro) and Desktop PC with i9-9900 & Intel UHD 630 Graphics (Win 10 Pro) ... however even in lockdown I still have other things that I should be doing this weekend, lol.

RitchieT

PostMon Jul 27, 2020 2:46 pm

I too am having this issue. Have been talking to tech support for nearly 2 months now. Here are my findings-

Issue Occurs on both my macs- (Both machines are highest spec available at time.)
2013 Imac (OSX 10.15.6)
2015 MacbookPro ( OSX 10.15.6)

I could not replicate the issue on a bog standard crappy windows 10 HP Laptop :lol:
I could not replicate the issue on my friends Macbook pro running High Sierra.

The issue is not a hardware one, but a software one. It happens on all platforms, OBS,Zoom and also direct to Youtube as webcam. Always around 1 hour or so, Even is not actually streaming live, but just connected and sitting idle.

Either switching ATEM off and on again, or rebooting any of the software resets the problem for another 1hr or so until it happens again.

The delay is not present in the ATEM Software control even when it is in OBS etc. So the problem must be when the ATEM software is routing the audio to other software.

santiagopilgrim

PostTue Jul 28, 2020 9:17 am

Hi Darren, any updates from you? I am having exactly the same problem. I am on email to support but there is no immediate fix, I am thinking of returning the unit as I can't trust it for any professional work. It's happening on two different machines so I'm finding in hard to believe that it's not an ATEM issue.

I have captured the problem happening here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i3dfuhkvpaqi9 ... 5.mkv?dl=0

As you can see there is a clap at the beginning and the sound is in sync. Then again another clap at 22.38 and everything is fine. Then we get the interference/distortion noise happening from 23.20, and you can see by a clap shortly after that at 25.50 the sound is out of sync. This doesn't happen using any other method other than the USB-C webcam out feed of the ATEM.

Frank Engel

PostWed Jul 29, 2020 6:26 pm

I was playing with mine a day or two ago and noticed that the video reaching OBS studio (for example) is delayed but the audio is not.

I wonder if what is happening is that the ATEM is feeding the video and audio separately to the computer such that between encoding the video and the computer needing to decode it there is a delay, but the audio is coming through in real-time?

They are selected separately in OBS which is one of the things that makes me wonder about that... if the video and audio sources are independent there would be no means of maintaining perfect sync between the two... I will need to look into this more later when I get some time again.

If I stream directly to YouTube via ethernet the video and audio is perfectly in sync.

ricdanger

PostTue Aug 04, 2020 11:49 pm

Exact same problem here.

Sony HXR-NX100 into Cam 1 in front of green screen
Macbook Air into Cam 3 (powerpoint)
Cam 1 keyed over Cam 3
Audio into Mic 1 (eight frame delay)
Output received into iMac (quad core I7, 16gb Ram)

When outputting via USB - recording to Zoom, Youtube or internally to OBS
* 23-25 minutes fine, then a ticking sound
* Then 10-15 seconds of interference
* Then audio sync out, comes good then drifts again in cycles of about 25-30 seconds

Glad to see I'm not the only one, have just spent $300 upgrading all my cables to no effect.

I upgraded from a Roland VR-1HD because of the better keying in the Atem, but now I regret selling it.

Come on BMD!
Ric
--
Another accidental streaming production manager.

Walter Sonius

PostWed Aug 05, 2020 8:05 am

@Frank Engel Makes a very important comment!

Frank Engel wrote:... If I stream directly to YouTube via ethernet the video and audio is perfectly in sync...

@ricdanger The Roland mixer probably used USB3 interface readon where the audio glitches from the USB2 Atem Mini Pro may came from ;-)
ricdanger wrote:...
When outputting via USB - recording to Zoom, Youtube or internally to OBS
* 23-25 minutes fine, then a ticking sound
* Then 10-15 seconds of interference
* Then audio sync out, comes good then drifts again in cycles of about 25-30 seconds

I upgraded from a Roland VR-1HD

To all modern Macbook (Pro) users with T2chip in this thread, which will use USB 2 (audio) interfaces such as a Soundcards or the Atem Mini Pro (which functions as a soundcard + webcam) should be aware that there seems to be issues with the Apple T2chip interferring with USB2 bus (not USB 3 or thunderbolt).

Louis Rossmann has a youtube video on this subject:

fr4nkle

PostWed Aug 05, 2020 1:06 pm

Walter Sonius wrote:To all modern Macbook (Pro) users with T2chip in this thread, which will use USB 2 (audio) interfaces such as a Soundcards or the Atem Mini Pro (which functions as a soundcard + webcam) should be aware that there seems to be issues with the Apple T2chip interferring with USB2 bus (not USB 3 or thunderbolt).

I don't believe this to be a T2 Chip issue as it happens on my 2015 MacBook Pro 15" ... very pre-T2 ... and also on a Windows PC ... nowhere near a T2 ...

The only common I can find so far is that they all have dedicated graphics. More investigation required though.

Coming from Pro Audio land before getting the camera/streaming bug I have a substantial amount of experience in sound cards and audio issues (IOAudioStream errors in Mavericks, Yosemite and El Cap ... solved in Sierra but Apple will never admit to it), so as time permits I'll keep testing.

I have nothing new to report yet though, I've been a bit stuck this last week here in Melbourne with next stage lock-downs taking place, I will test other computers (including 13" with T2) this weekend.

ricdanger

PostThu Aug 06, 2020 2:20 am

To all modern Macbook (Pro) users with T2chip

My iMac is late 2012, should have made that clearer earlier.

I'm wondering if I'm driving the audio input too hard? I'm taking a line level output from the wireless receiver and it's a straight through cable splitting the mono out into L/R into the ATEM. I do get clipping at the moment. So, if the Mic input was routinely running too hot, might this cause this kind of glitch?

Does anyone have a recommendation on a suitable line level attenuator, or alternatively a converter to take a balanced output from the wireless receiver into the unbalanced but stereo MiniPro mic input?
Ric
--

santiagopilgrim

PostThu Aug 06, 2020 11:09 am

Frank Engel wrote:I wonder if what is happening is that the ATEM is feeding the video and audio separately to the computer such that between encoding the video and the computer needing to decode it there is a delay, but the audio is coming through in real-time?

My audio is 2 seconds behind the video, not the other way around.

ricdanger wrote:

I'm wondering if I'm driving the audio input too hard?

Surely it shouldn't matter if the audio is running too hot. If that is there's no way you can risk using it in a professional environment. BMD are beginning to annoy me with how long they are taking to solve this issue. I have a £600 ATEM mini pro sitting idle as I can't use it to make money until this is resolved. I'm very close to returning the unit and going for a competitor product.
-

fr4nkle

PostThu Aug 06, 2020 12:00 pm

ricdanger wrote:
To all modern Macbook (Pro) users with T2chip

My iMac is late 2012, should have made that clearer earlier.

I'm wondering if I'm driving the audio input too hard? I'm taking a line level output from the wireless receiver and it's a straight through cable splitting the mono out into L/R into the ATEM. I do get clipping at the moment. So, if the Mic input was routinely running too hot, might this cause this kind of glitch?

Does anyone have a recommendation on a suitable line level attenuator, or alternatively a converter to take a balanced output from the wireless receiver into the unbalanced but stereo MiniPro mic input?

What "wireless receiver" do you have, brand/model please and I can advise on most correct cable setup.

Clipping the input won't cause these types of issues ... or every DJ production job I've done in the last 15 years would be hours behind :lol:

santiagopilgrim wrote:I have a £600 ATEM mini pro sitting idle as I can't use it to make money until this is resolved. I'm very close to returning the unit and going for a competitor product.

It's hard to pin-point the issue when it seems to work fine depending on your computer ... I have no issues at all when using it with my ordinary Dell Latitude E7250 (12.5" mass produced business laptop) dual core pegged at over 60% CPU solid for a 2 hour Zoom session, ATEM software on built in screen changing media and PiP settings and Zoom on an external 1080p TV showing 30+ clients ... oh, and connected to internet via wifi to a Telstra (ISP supplied) wireless router!

This is a AU$450 second hand laptop that runs faultless ... so you can certainly make money, you just need to lower your laptop standards!

fr4nkle

PostFri Aug 07, 2020 11:15 am

Time to add another configuration to the drift list ... 2 test Zoom meetings, both lasted just over an hour and then went out like the others:

MacBook Pro (13-inch 2020 Four TB3 Ports)
2.3GHz Quad-Core i7-1068NG7, 32GB RAM
macOS Catalina 10.15.6
Zoom 5.1.2
ATEM Software 8.4

Will test out a couple of PC configurations next ...

santiagopilgrim

PostFri Aug 07, 2020 1:01 pm

This is a AU$450 second hand laptop that runs faultless ... so you can certainly make money, you just need to lower your laptop standards!

I would never put this ATEM anywhere near a paying client or anything that puts my reputation at risk now, I've lost all confidence on it. I would need the problem solved and then thorough testing before doing any paid work with it.

Canyons

PostFri Aug 07, 2020 2:41 pm

I am not a zoom user, so I've no idea about zoom usage at this time.

Before the Mini Pro I'd not noticed internet audio and video getting out of sync ever. In our case I have had a tiny number of people in our Live Stream audience infrequently report the issue. It seems as if it is the same 2 people (PC's, not Macs). I check the YouTube recording and its fine. So it must be on their end.

Just yesterday I was watching someone elses feed (seems to be an uncommon service provider) and had the same issue on my 2013 Macbook Pro (no T2). Refreshing the page resync'd everything.

Obvously people are reporting seeing this locally on their Mini Pro so there is some issue there. But I'm seeing it infrequently as well in streams unrelated to Mini Pros, and I don't recall ever seeing this before this spring.

Is is possible there is some change on the player side (recent updates) contributing to what we are seeing?

craigneth

PostFri Aug 07, 2020 4:35 pm

So, here's a 'counter' data point. I ran a OBS session yesterday for ~4 hours with the following setup and no issues:

MacBook Pro (15-inch 2017)
2.9GHz Quad-Core i7, 16GB RAM
macOS Mojave 10.14.6
OBS 25.0.8
ATEM Software 8.4

I was just playing some Youtube orchestral music via HDMI out from another machine through the ATEM to verify that there were no sync issues (it's really easy to tell if the violinist's bow is going the wrong way!). No problems.

ricdanger

PostSun Aug 09, 2020 6:07 am

fr4nkle - the wireless receiver has two outputs, unbalanced guitar jack (Tip/Sheild) and balanced mic (3 pin XLR).

Update: After > 50 tests this weekend:

I can repeatedly recreate this error on my high powered but oldish iMac 27" (late 2012 quad core i7 3.4gHz, 16gb ram, 2Gb NVIDEA GPU) and the only way to stop the delayed audio is by a cold-reboot of the iMac

This is an example of the problem - ticks (0:00 to 2:05), then interference (2:05-2:30) then audio delayed: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3cpol4jm5fxwlde/minipro%20%201%20-%20example%20of%20error.mp4?dl=0

Problem doesn't occur if the receiving computer is a MacbookAir. However, it's so underpowered it drops video frames and is basically not up to the task.

I have just ordered a 2019 MacBookPro to be the unit receiving the WebCam so will update when I've got some data. BMD Support have all the info and ticket is logged.

In the meantime, the phone has started running hot for full-fee virtual work and I'm starting to panic.
Ric
--

victorytabernacle

PostWed Aug 12, 2020 1:18 pm

I have experienced audio drift for as long as I've had my ATEM mini. I have used two completely different PC's. The most recent being a Dell i7 with 16GB ram. I have gone through two different software packages OBS and XSplit for live streaming. The audio is behind the video about 1-2 frames per second every 5 minutes and that continues to drift the longer the stream. This issue occurs when you use video from the HDMI ports and audio from the mic inputs. My mic 1 input is coming from a Allen and Heath QU-16 digital mixer. Some posts I have read just HDMI for both audio and video. I'm not convinced that is an accurate test for this issue. I'm seeing it when video is from HDMI and audio is from mic 1. I have upgraded the firm along the way and now at 8.4. After hundreds of test and many, many combinations of settings, I was able to fix the issue by eliminating the mic 1 input and plugging it directly into the mic input on the PC and keeping the video from the ATEM USB connection. This eliminated the audio from the ATEM USB connection. I've been looking at everything including the audio sampling rate. Are there any settings or other places I could check? For example, USB output settings from the ATEM, device driver settings on the PC USB driver or the windows USB settings? I'm going to be running my stream with my band-aid fix until I get a concrete solution. It either has to be an issue with the audio and video coming from the ATEM via the USB or a setting on the USB driver, etc that is causing the issue. Any thoughts are appreciated. I've gotten, what I think, are useless suggestions from support asking me to try yet a third PC or third software package. When you completely replace a component with an entirely new or different solution, then in my mind that eliminates those pieces from the equation. It seems to be narrowed down to the combined USB from the ATEM or the audio processing from the USB audio on the PC side.

ricdanger

PostMon Aug 17, 2020 12:19 am

Update from me:

Support for BMD is outsourced here in Australia, basically level 1 (troubleshooting and simple things) maybe up to level 2 at best. This issue has been escalated back into BMD and there has been no information coming back from them at this point. They don't run a end-user ticketing system, although they might have one with the outsourced BMD support team)

I seemed to have solved my issue - I thought it might be the iMac (27'', late 2012, quad core, 16gb ram) even though it didn't raise a sweat - maybe something to do with the USB configuration. I replaced it on the weekend with a new Dell XPS 15 (i7-9750H, 512GB SSD, 8GB ram, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650) and ran 2 x 2 hour recordings and zoom sessions. No issues. Will keep testing.

I have 8 full fee events in the pipe for the next two weeks, so hoping this solves it. Hardly a good position to be in, but here we are.
Ric
--

Canyons

PostMon Aug 17, 2020 12:47 am

FWIW, that is the same setup we have for our signing service using ATEM Mini Pro running 8.4:

Started 2 weeks ago making that the third time the setup has been used. Only difference I can think of is the PC generated inset (via spliter) comes from a 150' fiber cable (HDMI 1), camera is A5100 (60 fps = out) on 10' HDMI cable (HDMI 2). Audio (Mic 1) and Ethernet are bundled with the fiber cable (so also ~150' each).

Now that I think about it, we have another setup that is the same as well, just running at 30 fps and no fiber.

I have had reports from some Live Stream viewers seeing that same 1 - 2 second delay, and I've seen it too on videos on youtube that are not ours. What I see and hear are not repeatable, and goes away with browser / player refresh. Its never in the recording.

I am now starting to record the events on USB drive, so far not seen anything. Other than settings and recording, I'm not using the USB. I have a parallel setup to that one running the audio into the XLR on the camera (panasonic 24 fps - out) going into HDMI 2.

HTH

victorytabernacle wrote:I have experienced audio drift for as long as I've had my ATEM mini. I have used two completely different PC's. The most recent being a Dell i7 with 16GB ram. I have gone through two different software packages OBS and XSplit for live streaming. The audio is behind the video about 1-2 frames per second every 5 minutes and that continues to drift the longer the stream. This issue occurs when you use video from the HDMI ports and audio from the mic inputs. My mic 1 input is coming from a Allen and Heath QU-16 digital mixer. Some posts I have read just HDMI for both audio and video. I'm not convinced that is an accurate test for this issue. I'm seeing it when video is from HDMI and audio is from mic 1. I have upgraded the firm along the way and now at 8.4. After hundreds of test and many, many combinations of settings, I was able to fix the issue by eliminating the mic 1 input and plugging it directly into the mic input on the PC and keeping the video from the ATEM USB connection. This eliminated the audio from the ATEM USB connection. I've been looking at everything including the audio sampling rate. Are there any settings or other places I could check? For example, USB output settings from the ATEM, device driver settings on the PC USB driver or the windows USB settings? I'm going to be running my stream with my band-aid fix until I get a concrete solution. It either has to be an issue with the audio and video coming from the ATEM via the USB or a setting on the USB driver, etc that is causing the issue. Any thoughts are appreciated. I've gotten, what I think, are useless suggestions from support asking me to try yet a third PC or third software package. When you completely replace a component with an entirely new or different solution, then in my mind that eliminates those pieces from the equation. It seems to be narrowed down to the combined USB from the ATEM or the audio processing from the USB audio on the PC side.

fr4nkle

PostSat Aug 22, 2020 2:31 am

Just had delivery of the ATEM Mini Pro ISO (and latest 8.4 software) and this issue is still present on my MacBook Pro 2015 15" ...

This was with Zoom as Host in my testing, and then as a participant in a real session. In both instances the distortion/delay/drift happened around the 40 min mark.

Bartek Podkowa

PostSat Aug 22, 2020 10:31 pm

Same issue. Did a dress rehearsal of a 60 minute show with no issues, kept the ATEM Mini Pro plugged in during the 60-90 minute break, by the time we got back to do the actual show the problems started. Was maybe 2-3 frames out of sync at first (with video lagging behind audio), but got worse as time went by. Ended up adding 10ms of audio delay every 3 minutes or so in the end to keep it in sync.

Computer used: ASUS TUF fx505gm
Software: vMix

Currently waiting for Blackmagic support to get back to me about that and another issue (incorrect ISO control over HDMI 1). Hoping this can be sorted out - got a big job at the end of September and can't afford to run into an issue like this. If it can't I'm going to have to find an alternative to the ATEM....

manatane11

PostMon Aug 24, 2020 12:16 am

I did a test to see if the atem mini was really the culprit and see if there was a sync problem over time. After 1hr 22mins of streaming and doing a clap test periodically through out the stream I notice in the fb stream health there was a sudden drop in mbs and audio bit rate. I did the clap test and my video was head of the sound rather than the sound delayed. So I decided to unplug the atem mini power socket to reset while still keeping the stream going through Vmix, I powered up the atem again and reconnected the camera input to vmix the sound and video was perfectly in sync. I use a pc laptop.

My specs

Alienware area 51m
RTX 1070 super
64 gigs of ram

I even used thunderbolt 3 to connect the computer to the atem mini and had the same drift issue with both the TB3 and USB-C connection

Steve Kanefsky

PostMon Aug 24, 2020 6:12 pm

The ATEM Mini Pro doesn't support Thunderbolt 3 so I'm not sure what you're talking about above. Thunderbolt 3 and USB 3.1 both use USB Type C connectors so it's definitely confusing. Maybe you meant you were using a cable that supports Thunderbolt 3 but that doesn't make it a Thunderbolt 3 connection. That's not necessarily a bad idea since there are some USB Type C cables that are meant primarily for charging phones and whatnot and only support USB 2.0 data speeds. I think any Thunderbolt 3 cable would support the highest USB 3.1 speeds but the whole thing is such a mess I'm not even sure about that.

James_Anderson

PostTue Aug 25, 2020 4:16 am

I'm also experiencing this issue. After about 60 minutes of streaming to zoom, there's a period where the sound is distorted, even appears to echo, and then there is a significant audio delay. I could share example, but forum is saying I can't share URL's. :(

I'm running the ATEM through a USB3 port on my new Macbook Pro. Latest firmware on ATEM mini pro and all upto date on the Mac (machine is only 2 months old).

I'm running sound and video from my Panasonic GH5 through HDMI to my ATEM mini pro. I also run two other video inputs into the ATEM mini (another GH5, and my computer). Sound is always through the same CAM1.

Is there any work around or fix for this? It makes the ATEM worthless for sessions over an hour.

James

Curtis Campsall

PostTue Aug 25, 2020 5:09 pm

Is this strictly a streaming problem? If being used for program production for later uploads is there any sync issues with USB disk recording or hdmi output?
Dop16mm on the other forum

James_Anderson

PostTue Aug 25, 2020 11:27 pm

Couldn't tell you if it is only a streaming problem. It only seems to occur after an hour or more - and I don't record pieces for that long, only steam them.

fr4nkle

PostWed Aug 26, 2020 10:51 am

James_Anderson wrote:I'm also experiencing this issue. After about 60 minutes of streaming to zoom, there's a period where the sound is distorted, even appears to echo, and then there is a significant audio delay.

Is there any work around or fix for this?

When in Zoom, toggle your audio source to in-built and then back to ATEM. This has fixed it for me, it comes back into sync but will go out again after another 40 min!

fr4nkle

PostWed Aug 26, 2020 10:53 am

Curtis Campsall wrote:Is this strictly a streaming problem? If being used for program production for later uploads is there any sync issues with USB disk recording or hdmi output?

From my testing HDMI output (when set to program) is fine, will stay in sync no problem. I have not needed to record to USB so cannot comment on that, nor have I used ethernet streaming.

santiagopilgrim

PostWed Aug 26, 2020 5:07 pm

I just wanted to update everyone.

After 30 emails back and forth Blackmagic took my ATEM in for insection.

They were able to replicate the issue and the next day I had a brand new unit sent to me.

I suggest other do the same as they don't seem to have a fix for it.

I will now test this new unit to see if the problem comes back... let's hope not.

James Ogilvie

PostThu Aug 27, 2020 7:26 am

santiagopilgrim wrote:I just wanted to update everyone.

They were able to replicate the issue and the next day I had a brand new unit sent to me.

I will now test this new unit to see if the problem comes back... let's hope not.

Hope this works out for you! I am having problems like these as well but I can't afford to be without my unit, in spite of it's problems, for my Zoom classes. Please let us all know what happens on your end!

James_Anderson

PostThu Aug 27, 2020 11:03 pm

I just wanted to update everyone.

I contacted my supplier here in AU with this request and received the following response.

I have spoken to Blackmagic’s Technical Support team here in Australia since the time you have submitted this Return Authorisation form about this matter.

They are very much aware of this issue and are working closely with Blackmagic HQ to try and get a firmware upgrade released which can fix the problem for their users.

All in all, Blackmagic are saying that they are not going to replace the unit for you as it is a system error which can be technically fixed via a firmware upgrade they believe.

Offering a replacement unit will only make you realise that it is experiencing the same issue again.

Until Blackmagic can prove elsewise and can confirm all units need to be replaced which are experiencing this issue, then unfortunately this can not be done at this current time.

Blackmagic are testing the matter day by day and have professional clients across the country who are experimenting with the problem and trying to come to terms on it with detail so they can correspond with HQ and be able to fix it.

We apologise that we cannot at this current time resolve the problem you are experiencing with the ATEM Mini Pro although we will ensure that we let you know of any firmware upgrade that may come out in the future to come which will rectify this case.

If you have any further questions or concerns please don’t hesitate to reply to this email and I will be sure to assist you in the best way possible.

___

So it looks like they aren't replacing all units.

Anyone from Blackmagic here know a time line on the firmware upgrade?

santiagopilgrim

PostFri Aug 28, 2020 12:52 pm

Unfortunately, they are correct. My new unit is doing exactly the same thing.

Hopefully now they are taking the problem seriously they will be able to resolve it swiftly.

dave.j

PostSat Aug 29, 2020 5:21 am

santiagopilgrim wrote:Unfortunately, they are correct. My new unit is doing exactly the same thing.

Hopefully now they are taking the problem seriously they will be able to resolve it swiftly.

Santiago...how did they replicate the issue on your unit?

Mine was sent to Newmagic, they couldn't replicate it in their testing, but they sent me a replacement AMP.
I've just tested the new/replacement unit today & the audio issues are still happening, so at least that confirms that my original unit wasn't a faulty item.

Testing note: my original tests were at 25fps, today's test was at 60fps and the issues started happening in about half the usual time...so anyone else running tests this is a great idea to speed up the process, run tests at 60fps!

If anyone else is reading this from outside of Australia, I've been told that 'other Blackmagic support regions are not getting reports of this issue' so PLEASE contact Blackmagic support in your part of the world & let them know you'd like this fixed asap.
From what I've seen Blackmagic are responsive to customer requests so the more of us experiencing this that let them know & ask for a solution the faster it should be resolved.

SeminrTechs

PostSun Aug 30, 2020 2:54 am

I'm having this same issue, and I can replicate it within 10 minutes from my GH4 to my ATEM Mini to my Asus Swift 3, into my OBS software, steamed to my Vimeo Livestream account.

Does anyone have a Black Magic contact email or online form? I can only find phone numbers...

~ Robert

dave.j

PostTue Sep 01, 2020 9:51 am

santiagopilgrim wrote:I just wanted to update everyone.

Santiago...I've just received an email from support in Australia saying "Blackmagic are still unable to reproduce this issue"...which country or local BMD support company did you send yours to?

dave.j

PostTue Sep 01, 2020 9:56 am

SeminrTechs wrote:I'm having this same issue, and I can replicate it within 10 minutes from my GH4 to my ATEM Mini to my Asus Swift 3, into my OBS software, steamed to my Vimeo Livestream account.

Does anyone have a Black Magic contact email or online form? I can only find phone numbers...

~ Robert

Online form is at -
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/contact/email

Let me know how you go with this...I'm still testing trying to resolve the issue...

santiagopilgrim

PostTue Sep 01, 2020 10:20 am

[/quote]

Santiago...I've just received an email from support in Australia saying "Blackmagic are still unable to reproduce this issue"...which country or local BMD support company did you send yours to?[/quote]

It was Blackmagic in the UK. They’re a bit of a joke not talking to each other.

I’ve made a phone call essentially asking them to sort it out. He said they are escalating it and talking to BM Australia now.

I’ve got it in writing that they were able to replicate the issue during testing, I assumed with my unit but I don’t have this confirmed.

Keep pressing them and hopefully they will start joining the dots and stop blaming our systems (I’ve got 3 very different machines all doing it).

dave.j

PostTue Sep 01, 2020 10:28 am

santiagopilgrim wrote:

Santiago...I've just received an email from support in Australia saying "Blackmagic are still unable to reproduce this issue"...which country or local BMD support company did you send yours to?[/quote]

It was Blackmagic in the UK. They’re a bit of a joke not talking to each other.

I’ve made a phone call essentially asking them to sort it out. He said they are escalating it and talking to BM Australia now.

I’ve got it in writing that they were able to replicate the issue during testing, I assumed with my unit but I don’t have this confirmed.

Keep pressing them and hopefully they will start joining the dots and stop blaming our systems (I’ve got 3 very different machines all doing it).[/quote]

Thanks...I've passed that on to my contact here via email...hopefully I'll hear something back tomorrow...
Next

Return to Live Production