ATEM Mini Pro audio monitoring

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Joe Mizera

ATEM Mini Pro audio monitoring

PostSun May 03, 2020 3:28 pm

Just received my Mini Pro, and am pretty blown away over all. In many ways, it is so much better than my old switcher. Built in streaming alone is a game changer. One issue, and I think this also goes for the non pro model, I was really surprised that there is no headphone jack. Alex Pettitt on youtube has done some great videos on the minis, and pointed out you can use a monitor with a headphone out, but it is of course delayed. HDMI after all. He also mentions using the usb connection to monitor on a computer using the webcam function. Unfortunately, I want to reserve that port for recording.

It would be awesome if one of the 3.5mm mic jacks could be converted to a headphone out. I assume this is locked in hardware. Does anyone know of another option?

Xtreemtec

Re: ATEM Mini Pro audio monitoring

PostSun May 03, 2020 3:44 pm

Not possible what you ask.. But the monitor with Headphone out is the way to go.. ;)

Keep in mind this is the cheapest!! Atem of all times.. They had to cut features to make it affordable.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Joe Mizera

PostSun May 03, 2020 4:36 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:Not possible what you ask.. But the monitor with Headphone out is the way to go.. ;)

Keep in mind this is the cheapest!! Atem of all times.. They had to cut features to make it affordable.

Thanks for the reply. Fair enough, and no mistake this is not a complaint. I just wondered if there was something I was missing. For the size and price, there is nothing even close. And the Pro with an added DVR and live streaming is amazing.

Satureyes

PostTue May 05, 2020 1:07 am

Xtreemtec wrote:Not possible what you ask.. But the monitor with Headphone out is the way to go.. ;)

And a headphone socket is an expensive feature?

Surely an absolute necessity. They push their software mixer and suite of controls for audio yet we can’t actually hear it!

Audio shouldn’t be treated like a third rate citizen.

eventpix

PostThu May 28, 2020 8:19 am

Has anyone found a workaround to monitor the audio?
A headphone jack would seem to be an obvious design omission.
My proposed setup is to feed the output from the mini into a laptop running OBS - should I monitor off my laptop through OBS?
And is there a delay at all?

Denny Smith

PostThu May 28, 2020 6:23 pm

If you use a monitor with audio or a headphone jack on it, you can monitor the audio on the HDMI output.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Joe Mizera

PostThu May 28, 2020 11:14 pm

Denny Smith wrote:If you use a monitor with audio or a headphone jack on it, you can monitor the audio on the HDMI output.
Cheers

Yes, this works. It does however suffer the HDMI delay. Might be good enough if you have well isolated headphones. I'll probably just plug into the camera used for primary audio. Shure, I would have preferred a headphone out, but I think BM did an amazing job overall for a bargain price.

CreativeVideoYYC

PostSat May 30, 2020 3:16 pm

I unboxed my Mini-Pro only to find no easy way to Monitor Audio?
Why give me a 6 band EQ, a Compression, a Gate if I can't determine what it is doing before going live! OMG I would of paid $200 more to have this feature! Or get ride of a Audio input for this!
I saw a You Tube video on WHY NOT to my the MINI-Pro and didn't watch it. I"m sure the first thing on the list was no easy way to monitor audio.
I want to love this switcher and I'm so stoked on what it can do!
Please BM come up with a easy work around and make me eat my RANT!

Suggestion which I though was how it would work when I didn't see a headphone jack. The audio jack on your connected computer would be the audio monitor

jonvalt

PostSat Aug 15, 2020 10:47 pm

CreativeVideoYYC wrote:I unboxed my Mini-Pro only to find no easy way to Monitor Audio?
Why give me a 6 band EQ, a Compression, a Gate if I can't determine what it is doing before going live! OMG I would of paid $200 more to have this feature! Or get ride of a Audio input for this!
I saw a You Tube video on WHY NOT to my the MINI-Pro and didn't watch it. I"m sure the first thing on the list was no easy way to monitor audio.
I want to love this switcher and I'm so stoked on what it can do!
Please BM come up with a easy work around and make me eat my RANT!

Suggestion which I though was how it would work when I didn't see a headphone jack. The audio jack on your connected computer would be the audio monitor

Headphone jack on your TV / Monitor dude. I was similarly dismayed, but luckily yes, it sends audio out the HDMI to your monitor.

Mike Wallis

PostSun Aug 16, 2020 1:14 am

The lack of a headphone jack is irritating I agree.

I use an HDMI audio extractor between the Mini and PC monitor. These are cheap and give rca and digital audio outputs that can be sent to a headphone amp, mixer etc.

It's not the most elegant solution but it works well.

eventpix

PostSun Aug 16, 2020 1:59 am

OK so I can monitor the audio via headphones plugged into my multiview monitor.

However at the bottom of this page you can see the "Mix your audio" dude with a laptop and headphones. https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/au/pro ... i/software

Monitor the audio via a laptop is the most logical way to do it.
There are headphone icons below each fader - but they are not active. There is also a headphone icon under the master fader - but once again I cannot activate it.
What am I missing?

Also - I'm using a splitter to feed 2 x microphones into my camera and in the Software Control I've split the audio into 2 x mono feeds - the Audio panel in the Software Control now has these as seperate channels - however Multiview Monitor now shows only one channel for each camera.

Steve Kanefsky

PostSun Aug 16, 2020 6:57 am

Would something like this work?

http://amzn.com/B07MYXCF26

Steve Kanefsky

PostSun Aug 16, 2020 5:14 pm

That one is USB powered too but it doesn't make any difference unless it's actually acting as a USB audio interface rather than just using commonly-available USB power adapters.

HDMI audio extractors are very common and usually you're dealing with multi-channel audio such as Dolby Digital or DTS and copy-protected HDMI connections so it should be trivial in this case where it's unprotected video and simple stereo audio. For headphone monitoring this one looks like a good one because it has a volume control and most of them just have fixed line-level or digital audio outputs and aren't designed to drive headphones directly.

Steve Kanefsky

PostSun Aug 16, 2020 7:09 pm

I was saying that the most common use case for an HDMI audio extractor is for people with a home theater system. In that case the HDMI is copy protected (HDCP copy protection) and the audio is usually in a surround format like Dolby Digital or DTS. The ATEM use case with unprotected HDMI video and simple stereo PCM audio is much easier for these devices to handle so I would expect just about any of them to work perfectly.

I was also saying that most of the time the purpose of the extractor is to send a line-level or digital audio signal to something like a stereo receiver. For example if you want to hook a DVD player to a TV but extract the audio to send to a stereo receiver. So very few of them have headphone amps with volume controls, although many will use a 3.5mm jack for their line-level output. But if you plug headphones into a line-level output the quality isn't likely to be as good as if you get one like the one I referred to which has a headphone amp built in.

BTW there is no copy protection on CDs. I was referring to copy protected video which is what you get when you connect a DVD player or a Blu-ray player or a streaming player (Roku, Apple TV, etc.) using HDMI. It's not uncommon to have handshake issues when you send copy protected video through a chain of multiple HDMI devices, but it's much less of an issue than it used to be in the earlier days.

Knudsen

PostMon Aug 17, 2020 4:42 am

goran diffner wrote:Probably what you wanna do is to check that the impendance on the headphones works for the únit you got, the K240 is 55 ohms and the sound is ok for a video broadcast but I would not use it to mix music.

Those are some really good ear muffs. Got a pair on right now. K92's seem pretty good too if you need fully sealed for feedback issues :mrgreen:

Steve Kanefsky

PostMon Aug 17, 2020 10:47 am

When CDs came out the whole idea of digital audio was pretty revolutionary. Encrypting the data in order to copy protect it was way beyond what anyone thought was necessary at the time. Some of the reasons I can think of are:

- CD players originally didn't have digital outputs so you couldn't copy the data digitally anyway

- There were no CD recorders you could use to make copies of CDs

- There were no CD-ROM drives you could use to read CDs on a computer

- Computers didn't have enough storage to hold even a single song (even 10 years later it would have cost thousands of dollars for enough storage to hold one CD).

- Computers didn't have high fidelity audio capabilities

- There was no compression technology like mp3

They did eventually come up with tricks to try and make it harder to copy CDs but it wasn't real copy protection. It's all kind of pointless since even the latest and most sophisticated copy protection for formats like Ultra High Definition Blu-ray discs has become easy to bypass. All it does is interfere with people who want to use the formats for legitimate purposes. If it weren't for copy protection we could probably all be using SDI for our home theater connections and things would work so much better.

Steve Kanefsky

PostMon Aug 17, 2020 4:51 pm

The Amiga had 8-bit sound so not nearly good enough for high fidelity audio.

No one had hard drives at the time so you were lucky if you had a computer with a floppy drive. It would take around 1000 double-density floppy disks to hold the data on one CD. When hard drives finally became available they only had a capacity around 5 megabytes and cost over $1000 so even then you would have needed over a hundred of them and the price of a house to store a CD :)

It wasn't until the mid 90's or so when mp3 allowed the data on CDs to be compressed by a factor of 10 or more and the data storage of computers had grown enough that you could store a reasonable amount of high-fidelity digital audio on a home computer.

It also wasn't until the mid 90's that CD burners and blank media were available and cheap enough that you could copy a CD onto another CD for less than the price of the original.

Steve Kanefsky

PostTue Aug 18, 2020 2:18 pm

goran diffner wrote:Yes but if I remember right midi was not far away.

MIDI is something completely different. It's like the difference between writing the script for a movie on your computer using a word processor versus actually recording the movie itself on your computer.

goran diffner wrote:In 1995 I went to recording school and I remember they had one of the first versions of Pro Tools and a mac but we backed up our music to those small digital tapes I forgot the name of now.

DAT (Digital Audio Tape). I had a Sony TCD-D7 around that time which I think was the first Walkman-style portable DAT recorder (I actually still have it in storage). They used tiny spinning helical recording heads so they were almost like tiny VHS tapes mechanically speaking (i.e. not very reliable). They were also used for computer backup using drives with SCSI interfaces and held about 4GB but they never became popular at the consumer level either for audio or as computer storage.

jonvalt

PostWed Aug 26, 2020 3:42 pm

For the record, as a musician, just wanting to say that owning a CD does not give you the right to use it in your YouTube videos. If you are building a channel that you hope to have monetized one day, do yourself a favor and don't use copyrighted music.

That is, unless it's music where the artist has an agreement with YouTube to not block but instead pay out the royalties that are due. But those videos will also be demonetized for you.

Or do yourself an even BIGGER favor and use your own music so YOU get the royalties (ask me how I know, lol). Then watch other people use your music without your permission and write things like "No copyright intended!" (whatever the hell that sentence means). Haha.

I'm still saving for that jet airplane.

Mark Malburg

PostSat Aug 29, 2020 7:16 pm

We just added one of these inline between the AMP and our MultiView monitor for headphone volume adjustment.

https://www.amazon.com/LiNKFOR-Extracto ... 98&sr=8-24

With the device inline, the MultiView now goes black and then will come on for about a second. It then goes black again for 4-5 seconds. Things off-on cycle continues indefinitely as if the signal won't lock. The sound through the headphones is only present when the MultiView is showing.

Does anybody have an idea for a fix? NOTE: all of our HDMI cables are 3'.

Steve Kanefsky

PostSat Aug 29, 2020 7:25 pm

Have you tried swapping various things to see if you can isolate the problem? Different cables, different monitor, different source of audio and video? You could also try selecting different output frame rates on the ATEM. That info would go a long way towards identifying the source of the issue.

Mark Malburg

PostSat Aug 29, 2020 8:04 pm

Tried other options except output settings. The output settings are where we want them for streaming.

The LINKFOR description does say "Please Set the devices to PCM or LPCM".

Is this configurable in the ATEM?

Steve Kanefsky

PostSat Aug 29, 2020 8:25 pm

It's usually worth trying different hardware and software configurations to isolate a problem even if they're not exactly the configurations you want to use. That will help you figure out if there's a solution or workaround that's acceptable to you. You said you tried other options but you didn't say what the behavior was. Did you get a solid signal with audio extraction using a different source device than the ATEM? How about with a different monitor? I'm assuming different cables didn't make any difference.

PCM or LPCM basically just means uncompressed stereo digital audio. The ATEM doesn't process surround sound (Dolby Digital, DTS, etc.) so that shouldn't be an issue.

Steve Kanefsky

PostWed Sep 02, 2020 1:49 am

Mark Malburg wrote:We just added one of these inline between the AMP and our MultiView monitor for headphone volume adjustment.

https://www.amazon.com/LiNKFOR-Extracto ... 98&sr=8-24

With the device inline, the MultiView now goes black and then will come on for about a second. It then goes black again for 4-5 seconds. Things off-on cycle continues indefinitely as if the signal won't lock. The sound through the headphones is only present when the MultiView is showing.

Does anybody have an idea for a fix? NOTE: all of our HDMI cables are 3'.

I just got the same extractor and it's working fine for me. I tested it with a consumer LG TV and also going through a Web Presenter which converts the HDMI to SDI (and USB) and connects to a SmartView 4K monitor.

With the TV I was using a 3' Monoprice cable from the ATEM to the extractor and a 15' Cable Matters cable from the extractor to the TV. With the SmartView I was using a 3' Monoprice cable from the ATEM to the extractor, another 3' Monoprice cable from the extractor to the Web Presenter, and a 15' Blue Jeans SDI cable to the SmartView. All cables were passive.

aari38

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 7:57 am

If you have any computer monitor or TV with HDMI in and audio jack you can use them as an extractor.
--DR Free 16.2.0.055
--macOS Catalina10.15.3 (19D76)
--4,2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
--32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
--Radeon Pro 580 8 GB
--Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2TB
--BM UltraStudio HD Mini
--Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 as audio I/O

JimBabcock

PostMon Nov 02, 2020 1:04 am

I totally get that to keep costs down, the ATEM mini Pro ISO and it’s predecessors lack a physical audio out. But, could you pretty please with sugar on top allow the ATEM Software Control’s Fairlight page on the computer to output to the computer’s audio input so I can monitor audio with the computer’s speakers and/or headphone out? This should markedly reduce/eliminate any latency created when you try to just split off audio from the HDMI out.
Judging audio by watching meters is like judging an oil painting using SONAR...

glennseale

PostWed Feb 03, 2021 11:58 pm

I read through the posts for this and can't figure out if there was a solution to monitoring audio without a delay/latency. I'm using a Mackie mixer into the Mic 1 input. I've monitored through Quicktime and through the video monitor that is receiving the HDMI output. Both sound great. Wanting to use this for Zoom webinars but the delay is throwing me off. Sorry if it's already been answered, but just trying to figure out a solution.

Steve Kanefsky

PostThu Feb 04, 2021 3:58 am

If the audio coming from the ATEM had no latency then it wouldn't be in sync with the video because the HDMI video will always have some latency and the audio needs to be delayed on purpose if you want it to be in perfect sync with the video. Either the cameras add the delay to the audio or you can have the ATEM do it in the case of audio through the mic/line inputs.

Some cameras give you the choice so you can either choose to have un-delayed audio over HDMI that's out of sync with the video or delayed audio that it's in sync with the video but which might be distracting to monitor in real-time.

Theoretically Blackmagic could add the ability to have the audio be in sync with video over one output (e.g. USB) but not another (e.g. HDMI) at the same time. That would also require that your audio be going through the ATEM's mic/line inputs or that your cameras also have the ability to disable audio/video sync since the ATEM can't undo delay that's already been added by the camera.

An easier solution is just to monitor audio before it enters the ATEM but that requires that you use some kind of mic preamp, mixer, audio interface, or a digital microphone with built-in monitoring. Only monitor the audio coming from the ATEM as a brief sound check to verify that it's functioning correctly before you start and then just trust the audio meters.

glennseale

PostThu Feb 04, 2021 2:40 pm

Thanks Steve. That all makes sense. Based on your explanation, I'm assuming there is no way to use the ATEM (with audio going through the Mic inputs) for virtual meetings, and hear your audio in real time along with others involved in the meeting. Thanks again.

Derfla

PostThu Feb 04, 2021 5:44 pm

glennseale wrote:I read through the posts for this and can't figure out if there was a solution to monitoring audio without a delay/latency. I'm using a Mackie mixer into the Mic 1 input. I've monitored through Quicktime and through the video monitor that is receiving the HDMI output. Both sound great. Wanting to use this for Zoom webinars but the delay is throwing me off. Sorry if it's already been answered, but just trying to figure out a solution.

Have you tried using the ATEM Software Control to adjust for the delay/latency?

Steve Kanefsky

PostThu Feb 04, 2021 5:51 pm

Derfla wrote:Have you tried using the ATEM Software Control to adjust for the delay/latency?

ATEM Software Control can only add more latency, not take it away. It's worth double checking that it hasn't been misconfigured to add a bunch of unnecessary latency, but it can't correct delay that's already there or that's required to keep the audio and video in sync.

glennseale

PostFri Feb 05, 2021 12:00 am

I finally figured out a solution that is working well. I ran an out from the audio mixer to the left input of a Sound Devices headphone amp, and then connected the headphone out of my Macbook into the right input of the headphone amp. Just did a Zoom meeting and everything worked great. I was able to hear the audio before it reached the ATEM and I was able to hear the attendees on the meeting. Thanks for the feedback.

St Louis Blues Fan

PostFri Feb 05, 2021 6:21 am

glennseale wrote:I finally figured out a solution that is working well. I ran an out from the audio mixer to the left input of a Sound Devices headphone amp, and then connected the headphone out of my Macbook into the right input of the headphone amp. Just did a Zoom meeting and everything worked great. I was able to hear the audio before it reached the ATEM and I was able to hear the attendees on the meeting. Thanks for the feedback.

Nice that you were able to sync it up without delays. I use a Soundcraft Sig 12 MT mixer and feed it to my ATEM Mini. But I added extra USB sound cards on my two laptops. The Zoom laptop feeds into my mixer from the extra USB sound card and I can mix minus back to it if needed. My headphones are plugged into the mixer, so I can bypass feeding the ATEM Mini with audio in case there is a sync issue. I also use a 2x4 Sterling Headphones splitter/amp that makes things even easier if I want to bypass the mixer all together. It allows control with knobs of 2 A/B inputs and 4 outputs.

BennoZ

PostTue Feb 09, 2021 10:07 pm

eventpix wrote:OK so I can monitor the audio via headphones plugged into my multiview monitor.

However at the bottom of this page you can see the "Mix your audio" dude with a laptop and headphones. https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/au/pro ... i/software

Monitor the audio via a laptop is the most logical way to do it.
There are headphone icons below each fader - but they are not active. There is also a headphone icon under the master fader - but once again I cannot activate it.
What am I missing?

Also - I'm using a splitter to feed 2 x microphones into my camera and in the Software Control I've split the audio into 2 x mono feeds - the Audio panel in the Software Control now has these as seperate channels - however Multiview Monitor now shows only one channel for each camera.

The headphones icons are there for the more expensive Atem's; the software is exactly the same for the mini and the bigger Items'.
You can monitor the audio by plugging in a headphone at your HDMI monitor. I'm using Ecamm for streaming and this software has the ability to sent all the audio to a specific output which is perfect in sync with the video.

Steve Kanefsky

PostTue Feb 09, 2021 10:31 pm

BennoZ wrote:I'm using Ecamm for streaming and this software has the ability to sent all the audio to a specific output which is perfect in sync with the video.
Perfect sync with the video meaning it's not in sync with reality so if you're monitoring yourself talking (or someone else who you can easily hear directly in addition to through the monitor) it can be very distracting. There's no perfect monitoring solution, just different tradeoffs.

BennoZ

PostTue Feb 09, 2021 10:36 pm

Steve Kanefsky wrote:
BennoZ wrote:I'm using Ecamm for streaming and this software has the ability to sent all the audio to a specific output which is perfect in sync with the video.
Perfect sync with the video meaning it's not in sync with reality so if you're monitoring yourself talking (or someone else who you can easily hear directly in addition to through the monitor) it can be very distracting. There's no perfect monitoring solution, just different tradeoffs.

There's always delay, you never get it in perfect sync with reality, but I thought you were talking about lip-sync problems.

Steve Kanefsky

PostTue Feb 09, 2021 11:02 pm

BennoZ wrote:There's always delay, you never get it in perfect sync with reality, but I thought you were talking about lip-sync problems.
It's a long thread but the recent discussion has largely been around the problem with the audio being delayed versus reality ("the delay is throwing me off" as glennseale wrote).

It's very easy to get audio monitoring that's in sync with reality as far as humans are able to detect (i.e. less than 5 milliseconds versus 50 milliseconds or more if the audio is delayed by a couple frames in order to sync with the video).

RRRoger

PostMon Dec 18, 2023 4:11 pm

I am using the ATEM Pro to Stream my Church's bible study.
The audio out is what I want to monitor with a head set.
Tomorrow, I will try two HDMI Audio Extractors on the HDMI output. One has a volume control.
Also will try USB-C to 3.5 HeadPhone jack adapter.

Next day: the Tendak with volume control is working well. The other two not at all.

RRRoger

PostFri Dec 22, 2023 4:32 pm

Satureyes wrote:

And a headphone socket is an expensive feature?

Surely an absolute necessity. They push their software mixer and suite of controls for audio yet we can’t actually hear it!

Audio shouldn’t be treated like a third rate citizen.

Audio has been my biggest problem with the ATEM mini, even the Extreme version
I would be glad to sacrifice two HDMI camera ports for a second out and a headphone jack on the Pro version.

There is cheaper hardware with all the connections needed called GoStream, but for my use. The ATEM mini Pro is far superior. I sent my GoStream back and got an Audio Extractor. I wonder what new low end products Black Magic might have available in the near future? Perhaps an ATEM with only two HDMI inputs but a headphone jack and second HDMI out?

Return to Live Production