Zoom H4n - US/UK Versions

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

nickdale

Zoom H4n - US/UK Versions

PostTue Sep 25, 2012 12:57 pm

Hi Guys - a quick and possibly silly question but I am going to go with a zoom for audio recording to use with my BMCC :)... but I've seen listings for US and UK versions... is there actually any difference ? I can't see how there can be but if anyone knows could you let me know?

PetePolyakov

Re: Zoom H4n - US/UK Versions

PostTue Sep 25, 2012 9:14 pm

no difference there.

Cameron Mckinlay

PostTue Sep 25, 2012 11:13 pm

Yeah after reading about the audio issue I will be using my Zoom on my BMCC. Such a great little recorder, I highly recommend it.
Cameron Mckinlay

bhook

PostWed Sep 26, 2012 12:41 am

cmckinlay wrote:Yeah after reading about the audio issue I will be using my Zoom on my BMCC. Such a great little recorder, I highly recommend it.

How do you plan to get a signal into your BMC for syncing?

Jason Davis

PostWed Sep 26, 2012 12:59 am

Easiest thing is to use a clapperboard if you want to sync audio. I can't remember the inputs the BMCC offers.

bhook

PostWed Sep 26, 2012 1:08 am

Jason Davis wrote:Easiest thing is to use a clapperboard if you want to sync audio. I can't remember the inputs the BMCC offers.

Well, that eliminates the BMC for event and/or sports recording now doesn't it? And so much for one man crews...

Cameron Mckinlay

PostWed Sep 26, 2012 6:58 pm

mhood wrote:
Jason Davis wrote:Easiest thing is to use a clapperboard if you want to sync audio. I can't remember the inputs the BMCC offers.

Well, that eliminates the BMC for event and/or sports recording now doesn't it? And so much for one man crews...

Not really, Clappboards are merely for on set work. if your running and gunning I have a few alternatives.
if the camera is on a tripod I will clap my hands in front of the camera once recording.
if I am running my steadicam i can clap or use one hand to use my "slate" app on my Galaxy S3.
get someone nearby to clap in front of the camera.
when I am shooting events like weddings and private functions, I dont need a full fledged clapboard with detailed information on it. I just need a audio and visual to sync up the audio. There is always ways around little problems. Be creative, thats why we are all here right?
Cameron Mckinlay

bhook

PostWed Sep 26, 2012 7:06 pm

cmckinlay wrote:
mhood wrote:

Not really, Clappboards are merely for on set work. ... There is always ways around little problems. Be creative, thats why we are all here right?

I've been getting my talent to clap their hands ahead of each take for a couple of years now with my 7D. It works but I guess Plural Eyes works better (but I think you do need the audio on the camera). Honestly, I was hoping to record all audio to the BMC and put all this clapping nonsense behind me. ;)

Jesuan Soriano

PostWed Sep 26, 2012 7:24 pm

Everybody clap your hands!!!! :lol:
Jesus Soriano

Jason Davis

PostWed Sep 26, 2012 8:43 pm

Geeze,

okay, I guess the easiest thing is to have onboard piezo and call it done.

mhood wrote:Well, that eliminates the BMC for event and/or sports recording now doesn't it? And so much for one man crews...

Top level sports aren't running video and audio in one feed. I know in the NFL especially steady cams specifically they are running wireless cameras and so many parabolic mics it would make your head spin. The merging of audio and moving pictures takes place far removed from the action. It's always best to have more than a 1 man crew, who is going to tell you that you are doing it wrong if it's just you? :)

cmckinlay wrote:Not really, Clappboards are merely for on set work. if your running and gunning I have a few alternatives.
if the camera is on a tripod I will clap my hands in front of the camera once recording.
if I am running my steadicam i can clap or use one hand to use my "slate" app on my Galaxy S3.
get someone nearby to clap in front of the camera.
when I am shooting events like weddings and private functions, I dont need a full fledged clapboard with detailed information on it. I just need a audio and visual to sync up the audio. There is always ways around little problems. Be creative, thats why we are all here right?

I always understood the clapper to serve 2 functions, 1 to provide the end editor / clip organizer with info about the shot as most features are shot way our of sequence. The second function would be to provide a visual marker in both the audio and video timeline for alignment. I don't think that they have to be used exclusively on a set per se, but anywhere you need to record information about a shot.

mhood wrote:I've been getting my talent to clap their hands ahead of each take for a couple of years now with my 7D. It works but I guess Plural Eyes works better (but I think you do need the audio on the camera). Honestly, I was hoping to record all audio to the BMC and put all this clapping nonsense behind me. ;)

I hate having everything set and clapping in front of the cameras to get a sync, but it worked a heck of a lot better than having to go blind. On board audio has always been a strain for me due to AGC on the Canons even with the Juiced Link box you still have some work to do in post, and if your audio is too low you have to build it and God forbid you clip...

Iain Anderson

PostSat Sep 29, 2012 10:43 pm

If you use PluralEyes or FCP X, all you need is a feed from the mic that's relatively close to the external mic. You can then sync in post quite easily, no clapping needed. PluralEyes really can work wonders. I've taken an entire shoot, a few days worth, and it synced it all in about 10 minutes. It didn't get everything, because the camera's audio was disabled for several clips (groan).

If the camera audio is too different — for example someone is talking near the camera who isn't audible in the external mic — then you could have an issue.

FCP X does a good job too, but you'll have to select each of the audio/video clip pairs yourself. This is easy if you make sure the time is set the same on the mic and the camera.

If it's possible (and this is perfect for a one-man-band) just feed a cable from the headphone socket on the mic to the mic socket on the camera. Works perfectly with a Canon DSLR, especially with Magic Lantern's added audio meters.

Return to Cinematography