Alpha woes

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

TimStannard

Alpha woes

PostSun Sep 06, 2020 8:51 pm

DaVinci Resolve free 16.2.6.005
I've created a dissolve of a graphic in a fusion composite (within Resolve) using particles. As it takes a while to render and I want to reuse this I'm rendering and re-importing.

The reimported footage looks dreadful - what look like black outlines around all the particles.

I've tried exporting DNxHR and CineForm both with and without alpha set to "Premuliplied" (when I import, the only option I have in Clip Attributes fo Alpha is PreMultiplied).

Suggestions?
What more information can I give you?
Intel i9 12900K. nVidia GTX 3080ti, 64GB RAM
Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.2715)
Resolve Studio 18.6.3

Jason Conrad

Re: Alpha woes

PostSun Sep 06, 2020 10:52 pm

It still sounds like a premultiplication issue. What's your Fusion node structure like and which color management are you using? There were bugs with ACES alpha in earlier versions, I *think* RCM, too, and I'm not sure if they're all completely sorted yet. Aside from trying DaVinci YRGB, try exporting with a Fusion saver node instead of using the Deliver page.
-MacBook Pro (14,3) i7 2.9 GHz 16 GB, Intel 630, AMD 560 x1
-[DR 17.0 Beta9]

TimStannard

Re: Alpha woes

PostMon Sep 07, 2020 8:47 pm

Thanks Jason,

My node structure is a simplified and more complex version of this
- simpler in that I don't use the FastNoise, just blur the edges and more complicated in that I have seven separate images, each with different timings of the animation.

I'm not using ACES - just DaVinci YRGB

Saver was a great suggestion, though. The results here are fine. It does mean I have to use Loader (and thus create a new Fusion Comp) which is no big deal. Resolve does allow me to import the exr files into the editing timeline, but just displays the image sequence as all transparent. Obviously something i don't understand there.

Anyway I have a workable solution and that's what matter, thanks again for your suggestion.
Intel i9 12900K. nVidia GTX 3080ti, 64GB RAM
Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.2715)
Resolve Studio 18.6.3

Return to DaVinci Resolve