BUG: BMPCC 2.8k RAW Plugin (6.9.6) in Premiere

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

marbro

BUG: BMPCC 2.8k RAW Plugin (6.9.6) in Premiere

PostThu Sep 10, 2020 6:25 am

The newest version of the RAW plugin (6.9.6) for premiere pro breaks down when handling 2.8K RAW footage.

I've ran a few tests, on PC & Mac and they both are showing the same issue when adding any kind of effect (including colour grading) it won't reflect in the preview monitor until playback has started or you manually move the scrub bar. From what I can tell it's only happening on 2.8K at any compression rate. 6K, 5.7k, 3.5k, etc all work. I deleted the plugin and went back to 6.9.5 and still had the issue, but when reverting back to an older build it worked fine.

Has anyone else noticed this?

antoine

Re: BUG: BMPCC 2.8k RAW Plugin (6.9.6) in Premiere

PostSat Sep 12, 2020 7:04 am

Could you send us a file sample .BRAW ? And also confirm what version of Blackmagic RAW plugin you are experiencing ? (6.9.6 is the Camera Firmware version I think)
BRAW Studio FREE and Premium for Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects, with a brand new Desktop .BRAW Player and Color Grader, as well as an automatic White Balance Color Picker tool

marbro

PostSat Sep 12, 2020 7:28 am

Yeah, 6.9.6 is the camera firmware but that installs the newest version of the premiere pro plugin as well I assume that would be the newest. Folder name is "7.0" in the premiere plugin directory.

Clip is too large to upload, here's a google drive link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1G_dgpd ... o3Lsq/view

antoine

PostMon Sep 14, 2020 7:51 pm

The MediaCore folder has nothing to do with the firmware version :)

Thanks for the .BRAW we will check it
BRAW Studio FREE and Premium for Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects, with a brand new Desktop .BRAW Player and Color Grader, as well as an automatic White Balance Color Picker tool

marbro

PostMon Sep 14, 2020 11:44 pm

What I'm saying is if you install the 27 Aug 2020 Blackmagic RAW 1.8.1 Update which includes the premiere pro plugin and then install 28 Aug 2020 Blackmagic Camera 6.9.6 update the premiere plugin gets updated. It even says in the description of the 6.9.6 update it'll install the newest version of the plugin.

So when I say 6.9.6 I mean the version of the plugin that comes in the package.

Cheers for checking it out mate. Looking forward to your reply.

antoine

PostTue Sep 15, 2020 8:00 am

Hi,
On my Windows 10 computer, Premiere Pro 2020 14.3.2, this footage works with BRAW Studio v2.1.5 and v2.1.4. Blackmagic Raw plugin from BMD also decodes this footage at version 1.7

What version of Premiere are you using ?

Could you send a screenshot ?

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Sep 15, 2020 11:14 pm

Hi, this is due to an issue with the camera writing the incorrect width for that resolution. We handled it in the premiere plugin in earlier versions but have moved the correction to the SDK itself but that won't get handled by the plugin until an update in the future. You'll have to use a prior version of the plugin for now until the new beta sorry.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

marbro

PostTue Sep 15, 2020 11:18 pm

Hey Captain. No worries, I'm just glad to hear I'm not crazy. I'll revert back to the version I know, looking forward to future updates.

antoine

PostFri Oct 23, 2020 2:59 pm

CaptainHook wrote:Hi, this is due to an issue with the camera writing the incorrect width for that resolution. We handled it in the premiere plugin in earlier versions but have moved the correction to the SDK itself but that won't get handled by the plugin until an update in the future. You'll have to use a prior version of the plugin for now until the new beta sorry.

Hi, Do you know when this will be fixed ? It seems to me that the correct resolution is given in BRAW 2.0 BETA API. Could you confirm it will be fixed in BRAW 2.0 official release ?

How do you plan on transitioning Premiere Pro projects that were started with the wrong resolution ? That seems to be a non-obvious issue to me here...

antoine

PostMon Mar 29, 2021 12:15 am

This bug is fixed with official BRAW 2.0 release, it also updates the Blackmagic PrPro plugin with the same fix. We also updated BRAW Studio at version 2.4.0 with this new SDK with this bug fix.

Consider this fixed ! Don't forget to change your Premiere Pro Sequences resolution to match the new correct resolution !

Cheers
Antoine

Return to Post Production