External Y/C SVideo Capture

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

dsheehan

External Y/C SVideo Capture

PostWed Aug 12, 2020 1:55 am

Which products support external capture of Y/C S-video?

UltraStudio HD Mini and UltraStudio 4K Mini seem to support YUV (over 3 BNC) and Y Composite (over 1 BNC).
Do they support Y/C (over 2 BNC)?
Can the Y/C pair be connected via the B-Y and R-Y pair?

Discontinued products like the UltraStudio Express and Intensity Shuttle seem to have formerly supported Y/C.

Denny Smith

Re: External Y/C SVideo Capture

PostWed Aug 12, 2020 6:27 pm

If you are trying to capture video tapes using SVideo Y/C signal, the BMD Analog to SDI mini converter will get you a SD SDI signal, and supports Y/C input using two of the three BMC connections. You will need a BNC to SVideo Din connector, or BNC to RCA, depending on the unit you are using. I have the Y/C Din to BNC cables available, $20 shipped in USA, PM me for details.

That said, analog tapes like VHS, Hi8, Beta, etc. will need a Time Base Corrector before sending the signal to a capture card, like the Intensity Shuttle, etc. Do a search on Video Tape to digital to see previous discussions on this topic.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Dave Scharf

PostSat Sep 12, 2020 9:14 pm

I'm about to start capturing some vhs and svhs tapes. I have a media express (SDI and component but no S-video) and I also have an old intensity shuttle (with s-video). I purchased a used Panasonic AG-1980 SVHS deck that has a built in TBC. Assume this is all I would need to capture the tapes? Thanks!

Denny Smith

PostMon Sep 14, 2020 4:57 pm

Might work, depending on the condition of the tapes. The Media Express should have a Y/C input option setting using two of the BNC component connectors. Look in the software menu for the Express card.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Getting Started