Atem mini webcam support on Linux?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

btspce

Atem mini webcam support on Linux?

PostMon Sep 14, 2020 6:09 pm

Hello all
Can anyone with an Atem mini confirm if the webcam function via usb works on Linux with a recent kernel?
Any issues to be aware of ?

Tried to find comparisons between the webpresenters downscaled 4k/1080p input to 720p vs the Atem mini 1080p but did not find any. Have anyone done such tests ?

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: Atem mini webcam support on Linux?

PostMon Sep 14, 2020 9:24 pm

In theory, I think this should work as the webcam output is a relatively standard USB Video Class device (UVC) which generally has pretty good support across different operating systems. The Web Presenter has a similar UVC output which does work with Linux as described in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=68856

Keep in mind though that the ATEM Software Control panel is not available on Linux.

In terms of the video quality, the 1080p webcam output from the ATEM Mini is higher in resolution than the 720p output from the Web Presenter (as you might expect). It's also available up to 60fps whereas the Web Presenter maxes out at 720p30. Otherwise, both devices use MJPEG compression for their webcam video output, so I think the compression quality should be similar.

leonmor

PostTue Sep 15, 2020 8:41 am

I am using Linux Mint 19.3 to display Bible texts. I set up ATEM in Linux as a monitor with resolutions of 1080 and 720, other resolutions are not displayed. OBS Studio sees ATEM perfectly.

btspce

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 7:20 am

leonmor wrote:I am using Linux Mint 19.3 to display Bible texts. I set up ATEM in Linux as a monitor with resolutions of 1080 and 720, other resolutions are not displayed. OBS Studio sees ATEM perfectly.

Thanks. Does the sound work as well in OBS ?
Do you know if Zoom on linux sees the webcam and the sound is working ?

ultrarunner

PostFri Sep 18, 2020 7:42 am

I can confirm that the USB webcam function of the ATEM mini works out-of-the-box under Debian 10.
btspce wrote:Do you know if Zoom on linux sees the webcam and the sound is working ?
Yes, it works with Zoom (Debian package) flawlessly.

btspce

PostSun Sep 20, 2020 5:48 pm

ultrarunner wrote:I can confirm that the USB webcam function of the ATEM mini works out-of-the-box under Debian 10.
btspce wrote:Do you know if Zoom on linux sees the webcam and the sound is working ?
Yes, it works with Zoom (Debian package) flawlessly.

Great! Thanks for answering my questions!

Return to Live Production