BMPCC 4k USB-C problem (?!)

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

dbstas

BMPCC 4k USB-C problem (?!)

PostWed Sep 02, 2020 9:24 pm

Hello Sirs,

I know there've been a lot of topics on the SSD connectivity issues, but nothing have worked for me.

So here is my specs:
BMPCC 4k (software is up to date 6.9.5)
SAMSUNG T5 500GB

When I bought the camera in the very beginning everything was fine, later I faced the problem that my bmpcc does recognize SSD only after turning on the camera and inserting USB-C cable after it, but that's not the main problem, I can live with that. The problem is that it can recognize SSD only with slow-speed cable from Ugreen, I guess it's 3.0 gen 1 and I can't record 60fps raw with it, it just drops after 2 secs. I bought myself a cable from amazon which is gen 2 3.1, but the camera doesn't even recognize the ssd. And yep, its working on laptop with 3.1 usb c port, and yes, I tried reformatting the ssd.

Any thoughts on this problem?
Davinci Resolve 16.2.6
Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

IvanovS

Re: BMPCC 4k USB-C problem (?!)

PostWed Sep 02, 2020 11:37 pm

The port on the Pocket 4k is gen1. I use startech usb3.0 enclosures with Samsung 850 pro and they work fine in 60p Raw. Have you tried another gen1 cable? Or it could be that the T5 is just not up to par for60p Raw, with the usb 3.0 overhead and it being a MLC drive.
AMD Threadripper 1950X
AMD Radeon VII
Decklink Mini Monitor 4K
Davinci Resolve 15.3.1
Ursa Mini 4.6K
Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
Pocket Cinema Camera
Production Camera 4K

dbstas

PostThu Sep 03, 2020 12:18 am

IvanovS wrote:The port on the Pocket 4k is gen1. I use startech usb3.0 enclosures with Samsung 850 pro and they work fine in 60p Raw. Have you tried another gen1 cable? Or it could be that the T5 is just not up to par for60p Raw, with the usb 3.0 overhead and it being a MLC drive.

Shouldn't it work with the gen 2? Why then my usb-c from Samsung T5 doesn't also work with the pocket? (its works fine with my laptop)
Davinci Resolve 16.2.6

IvanovS

PostThu Sep 03, 2020 10:39 pm

dbstas wrote:
IvanovS wrote:The port on the Pocket 4k is gen1. I use startech usb3.0 enclosures with Samsung 850 pro and they work fine in 60p Raw. Have you tried another gen1 cable? Or it could be that the T5 is just not up to par for60p Raw, with the usb 3.0 overhead and it being a MLC drive.

Shouldn't it work with the gen 2? Why then my usb-c from Samsung T5 doesn't also work with the pocket? (its works fine with my laptop)

I'm not sure how to answer this since I don't have a T5 to test. But you said it works with the "slow cable from Ugreen". Which I'm guessing its 3.0 cable. You won't get better speeds with a 3.2 gen 2 cable since the port on the pocket is just gen1 (aka 3.1 aka 3.0). If you have the option, try another usb 3.0 cable (3.1, 3.2gen1 - different names for the same stuff). The one that came with the T5?

Wish these naming conventions wouldn't change all the time.
AMD Threadripper 1950X
AMD Radeon VII
Decklink Mini Monitor 4K
Davinci Resolve 15.3.1
Ursa Mini 4.6K
Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
Pocket Cinema Camera
Production Camera 4K

dbstas

PostThu Sep 10, 2020 7:30 pm

UPDATE:

Downgraded my pocket to 6.2.1
Fully formatted my T5

RESULT:

Nothing has helped since this time. I bought one more cable from amazon basics, usb 3.1 gen 1,
nothing works. Can somebody help please?
Davinci Resolve 16.2.6

Nick Heydon

PostThu Sep 10, 2020 7:39 pm

As far as I know, the 500gb T5 isn't on the recommended SSD list that BMD have provided. I guess you've found out why. For best results stick to the media that they recommend. You can view the whole list here.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/faq/59025

With that said, I do use a 500gb T5 and can record 4k60p DCI, but I mostly shoot in Braw q5. Perhaps try different codecs to test for yourself what's possible and what's not.

dbstas

PostThu Sep 10, 2020 8:11 pm

Nick Heydon wrote:As far as I know, the 500gb T5 isn't on the recommended SSD list that BMD have provided. I guess you've found out why. For best results stick to the media that they recommend. You can view the whole list here.

With that said, I do use a 500gb T5 and can record 4k60p DCI, but I mostly shoot in Braw q5. Perhaps try different codecs to test for yourself what's possible and what's not.

The point is, my camera doesn't even see the disc. Everything worked fine like 4-5 months, then once after the shoot this happened. I'm not sure what to do know.
Davinci Resolve 16.2.6

dbstas

PostThu Sep 10, 2020 8:18 pm

One more time:

My camera doesn't see the disc with 2 cables:

1. usb 3.1 gen 2
2. usb 3.1 gen 1

It's sees the disc with the 3.0 slow uGreen cable only after I connect the ssd while the camera is on.
With this cable I can't record 60fps raw in any quality. Any thoughts what's the problem can be?

I already downgraded to 6.2.1 and fully formatted the disc.
Davinci Resolve 16.2.6

dbstas

PostFri Sep 11, 2020 12:33 am

One more stuff I found out:
I have 4 different cables:
1 of them is working OK with BMPCC 4k but I can't record 4k50p (but I need to plug it after the camera is on)
3 of them camera is not recognizing
1 of them doesn't work with my macbook (upd. already works)

the 1 which works is 3.0 Ugreen cable
samsung ssd t5 cable doesn't work with camera (usb-c - usb-c), arisen 3.1 gen2 doesn't work with the camera, amazonbasics 3.1 gen1 doesn't work with the camera.
samsung ssd t5 cable doesn't see the disc in my macbook (upd. it sees the disc with this cable), all other 3 work on macbook great with this SSD T5.

All this stuff is kinda confusing, is there anybody who maybe have the same issues? I can't just work with my camera, that's annoying.

P.S. when I plug in any cable that camera doesn't recognize, the LED (blue one) on SSD is glowing up, so that, every cable is working right.

P.P.S. The samsung t5 was fully formatted via acronis, later via windows disc manager. Tried formatting to ntfs, then reformatting it in camera. Nothing worked there.

P.P.P.S. I even checked a usb-c cable from my macbook charger, and you know what? It worked (also only after plugging it in after the camera is on) but it worked. It's really strange. Still I can't record 4k50 and not sure what to do..
Last edited by dbstas on Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Davinci Resolve 16.2.6

javier forza

PostFri Sep 11, 2020 4:01 am

Definitely you should test another T5 in the same camera.

Phil999

PostFri Sep 11, 2020 7:39 pm

Two 2TB and one 1TB T5’s work fine at my place. With the included cables.

dbstas

PostSat Sep 12, 2020 12:19 am

javier forza wrote:Definitely you should test another T5 in the same camera.

Will try my colleague's T5 on Monday, for now nothing helped :cry:
Davinci Resolve 16.2.6

dbstas

PostMon Sep 14, 2020 3:19 pm

So I've tested out another Samsung T5 1TB and it worked perfectly. Everything was fine. Any thoughts on what happened to my T5 500GB? Do you know the ways I can fix it up before buying another T5?

Thanks to all who replied.
Davinci Resolve 16.2.6

carlomacchiavello

PostMon Sep 14, 2020 5:46 pm

May be the t5 female connector to have problems?
May be the solution of mistery.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

dbstas

PostTue Sep 15, 2020 11:12 pm

I've made a speed test on a macbook and speed seems fine. What about windows, it can see the disc through 3.0 usb port, but only if you insert it half a way of the port. That's strange. Speed in windows is 48mb read and 44mb write, that's really hecking slow. Any thoughts?

P.S. Still bmpcc 4k doesn't recognize my T5 500gb with 3.0 cables
Attachments
119690780_2818791068396054_4089180607750660011_n.jpg
119690780_2818791068396054_4089180607750660011_n.jpg (258.34 KiB) Viewed 10050 times
Davinci Resolve 16.2.6

Ivan Baranov

PostWed Sep 30, 2020 9:11 am

dbstas wrote:Hello Sirs,

I know there've been a lot of topics on the SSD connectivity issues, but nothing have worked for me.

So here is my specs:
SAMSUNG T5 500GB

I also encountered such a problem, a 500GB Samsung T5 disk, I returned the firmware even to the February version, I don't remember the number, but I also updated it to 6.9.5, it does not help. I'll check the other disk when it comes. But. It appeared all the same - when the camera is turned on, the disk is not visible. Reinstalling the cable solves the issue. But it is impossible to write any 4k 50p, and even prores 1080 50. One of the treatments that helps is to delete the partition and complete formatting. But, it is unclear why this appears.

When I bought the camera in the very beginning everything was fine, later I faced the problem that my bmpcc does recognize SSD only after turning on the camera and inserting USB-C cable after it, but that's not the main problem, I can live with that. The problem is that it can recognize SSD only with slow-speed cable from Ugreen, I guess it's 3.0 gen 1 and I can't record 60fps raw with it, it just drops after 2 secs. I bought myself a cable from amazon which is gen 2 3.1, but the camera doesn't even recognize the ssd. And yep, its working on laptop with 3.1 usb c port, and yes, I tried reformatting the ssd.

Any thoughts on this problem?

Ivan Baranov

PostSat Oct 31, 2020 10:58 am

I have the same problem. stop recording 4k 50p with any bitrate or kodak settings.
one of the solutions we got was to completely remove the disk partition and format it completely. but after a couple of formatting everything comes back.
I checked the cable and tilt and my native Samsung. The funny thing is that everything works on the computer through the same cable, but not with the camera. or almost not, for example, it seems to be working now. but recently there was a recording failure on Q5 4k 50, after 15 minutes, then after 11, and then after 5 or 6 minutes.
there is no final decision.
Naturally, the firmware, like the new one, was rolled back, the problem is not solved.

Makc

PostSat Oct 31, 2020 10:59 am

Hello. I own two bmpсс4k cameras. I faced such a problem - both cameras cannot record video in braw 4K 50p format to an external SSD Samsung T5 500GB. In different compression modes - 3:1, 5:1, 8:1 and even 12:1 video is recorded no more than 2.5 seconds. However, this is not all. Braw 4K 25p video also cannot be recorded with a quality higher than 8:1. The camera just drops frames and stops recording. At the same time, CFast recording is going well. I tried to use different USB Type-C cables, but the result is always the same, 4K 50p is impossible to record, 4K 25p only with a quality no better than 8:1. If the same disk is connected to a computer and checked with various disk utilities, including blackmagic disk speed, then they all show good disk performance - about 400 megabytes for writing, and even more for reading. The disk did not work very much, about 1.5 years, at low loads. often the recording goes to CFast. What does this mean and how can I solve this problem?
Sorry for my English, I only study it yet.

Ric Murray

PostSun Nov 01, 2020 1:18 pm

Not all SSD's are created equal, and speed tests do not tell the whole story. If the SSD doesn't work on either of 2 cameras, it's probably not the cameras fault, its the disk. SSD's usually contain a caching scheme in the firmware that accelerates read and write when starting a read or write. Write speed will slow down after the initial burst and most speed tests just show an average. Simply put, if the disc is not on BM's approved list it's not going to work right.
Creativity is the ability to accept ambiguity.

hanskuna

PostThu Jan 14, 2021 1:54 pm

I have a new, formatted and approved Samsung T5 2TB SSD on a new BMPCC 4K and have the same problem:
- SSD only recognised if I plug it in after camera is turned on
- Dropped frames after a few seconds with 4K BRAW (any compression)

Any ideas?

hanskuna

PostSat Jan 16, 2021 1:46 am

hanskuna wrote:I have a new, formatted and approved Samsung T5 2TB SSD on a new BMPCC 4K and have the same problem:
- SSD only recognised if I plug it in after camera is turned on
- Dropped frames after a few seconds with 4K BRAW (any compression)

Any ideas?

I got a hi-speed cable and now it works fine. A little surprised that Samsung would not supply a cable that matches the speed of the SSD.

Regards,

Hans

AaronFreeman

PostMon Jan 25, 2021 10:54 pm

Bro can you post the one you bought!? Not just say a 'high speed one' haha.

I am currently tearing my hair out over this. Bought Samsung T5 500GB. Usb c didn't work that came with it.

Spent *£26* on the lovely tilta usbc that mounts on the cage.

Doesn't work.

I dont even know where to look or go. If a 26 quid tilta cable doesnt work - which does?

tootansimooon

PostWed Feb 10, 2021 5:51 pm

Hey

Did you ever find a solution?

I have a shoot in a week and it seems I have similar issues. 1tb samsung ssd. Various usb c. I can record 16.3 seconds at dci Q:5 and it seems fine at Q:8 and lower.

Previously worked fine for a year, not using it all that much.

If you found a solution, please share.

Thanks!

dbstas

PostSat May 29, 2021 9:16 am

Hello, now I want to post the results after many tries of different things.

First of all I'm really impressed of Blackmagic Support indifference. Every post of such subject (there is really a lot of people who have the same problem) got no reply from a single support person of BMD.

But ok, let's go to the fun part:
1. Firstly I got samsung T5 500gb with connectivity issues. Then I sold it.
2. I bought samsung T5 1TB and everything seemed fine with it, BUT, not for a long period of time. The same thing happened to me. BMPCC 4k can't recognize it, only with a slow speed cable and only after I plug it in after the camera is turned on.

I can say that I wasted money for 2 of the SSD's and can finally say that even if samsung T5 on approved list, it's nothing more than a bull$#%^.

Can anybody recommend any good alternatives to samsung t5 or maybe somebody faced the same problem with T5's and solved it somehow?

Thank you guys.
Davinci Resolve 16.2.6

Robert Niessner

PostSat May 29, 2021 12:23 pm

dbstas wrote:Hello, now I want to post the results after many tries of different things.

First of all I'm really impressed of Blackmagic Support indifference. Every post of such subject (there is really a lot of people who have the same problem) got no reply from a single support person of BMD.

You have to know that this is a user to user forum with BMD stuff occasionally reading and writing here.
If you need direct support you should user their website's support area and fill in the support form for a support ticket.

On the other hand it is very difficult to diagnose a cable problem without physically having the things in front of you. Many first time users here posting about an issue stay quiet vague and expect anyone else to somehow magically read their minds. Countless times I for example wasted my time in an attempt to help such a user by asking follow up questions and give them steps to test. Then either the user never comes back to answer the questions or ignores the steps and does something random without success. And then disappears. Which is quite frustrating when you want to help and spend some significant time for people somewhere on the other side of the world.

dbstas wrote:I can say that I wasted money for 2 of the SSD's and can finally say that even if samsung T5 on approved list, it's nothing more than a bull$#%^.

Can anybody recommend any good alternatives to samsung t5 or maybe somebody faced the same problem with T5's and solved it somehow?

If you really want something worrying free then buy a CFast2.0 card from the recommended list.
Angelbird, Wise, Transcend and others seem to work very well.
Personally I have been using Angelbird AV Pro and Transcend X650 cards since many years without any problems. Yes, CFast2.0 cards are more expensive per GB than SSDs but the peace of mind is priceless.

If you still want to stay with SSDs have a look at the recommend drives list and go with Angelbird, G-Technology, Wise:

The Samsung T5 line is great for computer users but for the camera I think they are to finicky.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Ryan Earl

PostSat May 29, 2021 5:17 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:The Samsung T5 line is great for computer users but for the camera I think they are to finicky.

I had an issue recently just trying to get the files off of a Samsung T5. I rented a Sigma FP and with the cable that came with the T5 I was able to fill the drive with 12 Bit CDNG. Though when it came time to offload the video it kept dropping off the PC and the disk needed to be checked and restored. I wasn't able to use the clone tool in Resolve and had to get the files onto another drive via an iMac first then clone them to the PC for an edit.

No other USB-C cables worked for me except for the one included with the T5 BTW. After researching, I've also seen some reports of users warning others not to lose the cable that is bundled with the drive.

dbstas

PostTue Jun 01, 2021 4:28 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:You have to know that this is a user to user forum with BMD stuff occasionally reading and writing here.
If you need direct support you should user their website's support area and fill in the support form for a support ticket.

Yep, you are right. But isn't it strange for you that there is that many cases with "recommended" T5 on board. Today I bought my 3rd T5 (and I will regret this soon I guess).

I'll continue the topic if I'll get any news with my new T5.
1. I'll use only the cable which came with T5.
2. I will use T5 only with the camera, nothing else. Only BRAW files.
3. I will format it all the time in the camera with exFat.
Davinci Resolve 16.2.6

Robert Niessner

PostTue Jun 01, 2021 6:25 pm

dbstas wrote:
Yep, you are right. But isn't it strange for you that there is that many cases with "recommended" T5 on board. Today I bought my 3rd T5 (and I will regret this soon I guess).

You could have tried any other SSD from the recommend list.
There is a reason that the Samsung T5 is among the cheapest options.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

S Fox iVs

PostTue Jul 06, 2021 4:40 am

I had this very same problem. Samsung T5. Wouldn't record higher fps no matter the settings.

I swapped to a different USB C cable (one I had kicking around. Not one that came with the T5) and it worked fine. It really does come down to the cable. Soooo strange.

Yannick Willox

PostTue Jul 06, 2021 4:13 pm

I have twelve T5 drives, 500 gb, 1tb and 2 tb.
I have used them in multicam shoots, p4k, p6k and even 12k.

No problems, with the original cables, using compression rates that are within the t5 specs.

Three of them needed a firmware update ! Check the firmware !

If it does not work then either the cable is defective, the t5 is defective or your camera.

RickySway

PostSat Jul 17, 2021 8:23 am

dbstas wrote:Hello Sirs,

So here is my specs:
SAMSUNG T5 500GB

Same issues here! Someone do something please!!!

My gear:
BMPCC6K (firmware 7.3)
Samsung T5 SSD 1TB + 2TB

bought 2 T5 SSD's. 1Tb and 2TB. both worked fine.
Filmed in raw C0, using it straight from the box with the cable that came with it.

Few days into filming, noticed the 'Samsung' cable only works plugged in one way.
If I flipped the connected plug (not the cable), it would say 'no card'.
Bought a recommended usb-c 3.2 'thunderbolt' cable as a replacement.
Tried it with my 2TB t5 SSD and it said 'no card'.
Figured had to flip. but nothing. So... back to original cable I thought.
Nope.
Whatever I tried, the T5 would not be recognized anymore.
Returned to amazon.

Bought a 1TB T5 SSD then.
Works great from the box, with the cable that comes.
I counted my blessings and treated it carefully from then using it.

3 shoots later, I am cleaning up footage on the PC my full T5 SSD.
I deleted ONE braw file, then figured I'm better off deleting it on camera / formatting the drive there.
So I transfer the SSD to my camera, as I have done carefully over 3 months.
But nope. SSD not recognized.
Since deleting that file the SSD T5 1TB can no longer be found by my BMPCC6K... wtf right.

The T5 SSD is read everywhere EXCEPT on the BMPCC6K.
Even connected to my PHONE (with a usbs-usba adapter) it works every time, but not on my BM.

This is more than just the matter of turning on the camera before plugging in.
This is a programming issue in the BM if you ask me.

Like you, I also bought a u-green usb-c cable.
The T5 SSD will be found with that cable by my BM all times, but it's only allows slow speed usb3.0 connection. Pretty useless SSD for BM that way.

People always come down on the same answer: It must be the USB-C cable.
But that isn't true !

I have a WISE 1TB SSD and it never failed on me. any setting.
It works. Great. But it's 2.5x the price of a T5 SSD >:(
I use the stock cable that comes with it.

Even when I unplug this drive and connect the T5 in it's place, using the 'WISE' usb cable,
the Samsung T5 wil not be found by the camera. No Card.
It formatting settings are identical to my WISE SSD.
Both 1TB, ExFAT 128 kilobytes.

When I plug in the WISE SSD with the 'samsung' cable, it records c0 just fine.
But that cable, which came from Samsung, wont have the BM read that T5 SSD 1TB.

So this is NOT just a matter of the USB-C cable.

@BlackMagic:
can you provide more details about how exactly this wasn't resolved in the Firmware update???
This issue has been around since 2019 and your buyers are left with half answers pointing at cable quality and shrugs about compatibility lists.

Give some proper technical support here man, come on.

You could at the very least just dump a note saying 'we know. its because Samsung uses a cheap IC chip for the high speed readability which toggles back after .... happens while connecting.'

Or whatever the problem is here... Explain to me the technical differences between a WISE ssd and a T5 SSD, and how the BM is able to say 'No Card' while the T5 says 'Yep I am connected. I got my blue light on and I'm sucking power'.

In Firmware 7.4: make it say 'issue with card.' and add a button that says 'format&fix'.

Robert Niessner

PostTue Jul 20, 2021 6:57 pm

I just repeat myself from above:

Do yourself a favor and start using CFast2.0 cards. More expensive, yes. More reliable, hell yes.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

RickySway

PostTue Jul 20, 2021 8:34 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:I just repeat myself from above:

Do yourself a favor and start using CFast2.0 cards. More expensive, yes. More reliable, hell yes.

Amen to that, oh wise one.
And as I wrote, that's why I bought a WISE ssd. It's on the approved list and it works like a charm.

But that doesn't change the fact though that there's a problem here, and it could use technical input from the proper people. Your (repeated) remarks don't add to the solution, but thanks for caring to input ! :)

Return to Cinematography