Resolve not accepting media files and crashing

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

John Whiteway

Resolve not accepting media files and crashing

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 9:35 pm

I've been trying to set up a FCP7 project in Resolve 15. The XML seemed to transfer quite nicely from FCP, though a certain percentage of the clips appear in Resolve as off-line. No problem, I'll just find the media files from that old project and manually import those files into Resolve. This has largely worked but there are 12 clips that remain a problem. I select “import media”, “select files” etc. but when I select these remaining files they just won't import into Resolve. As an experiment I located all these problem files and made copies of them and put them into a new folder and attempted to import them into Resolve from here, but still Resolve will not accept them.

Anybody have any idea what might be going on? I've gone separately to these Quicktime files on the hard drive and they all open, so the problem doesn't seem to be corruption. I'm at a loss.

Further to all this, as I've begun editing with the media that is on the timeline I'm finding that Resolve is crashing. This old project was shot SD so as I've been editing I've been bringing each shot to full black plus sharpening each image, going from 50 to 44 (just an experiment at this point). Is it all this sharpening that is perhaps causing the crashing? Or are these problems I'm encountering somehow because the Resolve project file began as XML?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

John
MAC OS 10.12.6
IMac 5K 27 inch (2017)
Processor 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 32 GB 2133 MHz DDR4
Start up Disk MAC HD
Graphics Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB
Storage MAC 2.12TB Fusion
External 3TB USB disk

Resolve 15.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Resolve not accepting media files and crashing

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 10:26 pm

Hard to know on a system running an OS and Resolve code that old.

If you can provide a link to one of the files that is not working, we can see if it works on a current Resolve version.

Are you using the free or Studio version of Resolve?
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

John Whiteway

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 10:53 pm

Hi.

Thanks for the reply Dwaine.

The OS on the MAC I'm using is 10:12:6. I've not upgraded because I still want occassional access to FCP on this computer. All I can say is I've been doing a great amount of editing on that machine with Resolve 15 - large 4K projects with lots of colour correction, etc. and all has gone swimmingly.

All of the files I'm linking to are the same - Quicktime .mov files. I can't imagine how the ones that wont link might differ. I even opened a new project and tried importing just these problem files. But same thing; they won't import.

You suggest I provide a link to one of these files. Can I ask you how I'd do that.

The Resolve 15 I'm using is the free veresion. I'd be fine upgrading to the Studio version and 16 if that would solve my problem. I've stayed with 15 and the free version for frankly it's phenomenal and has been more than up to any of my needs so far.
MAC OS 10.12.6
IMac 5K 27 inch (2017)
Start up Disk MAC HD
External 3TB USB disk

Resolve 15.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 11:21 pm

You would put the file on a file sharing site, and provide a link to the file here.
Dwaine Maggart

John Whiteway

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 11:40 pm

Sorry Dwaine. Guess I'm pretty dumb but other than something like Vimeo I don't know of any sharing site. Can you give me a suggestion?

John
MAC OS 10.12.6
IMac 5K 27 inch (2017)
Start up Disk MAC HD
External 3TB USB disk

Resolve 15.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Sep 17, 2020 12:10 am

Ones that seem popular here are Dropbox, WeTransfer and Google Drive. There are lots of others...
Dwaine Maggart

John Whiteway

PostThu Sep 17, 2020 3:54 pm

Hello again Dwaine.

I've downloaded the app for Google Drive and am trying to figure out how to upload a sample video now. I may have my answer by the time I finish doing this, but in case not can you tell me how I direct my Google Drive uploaded video to you and the Blackmagic Forum site? All my media are full downloads of what was then the camera's one hour tape, so the one I'll be uploading is between 5 and 6 GB.

I tried a few more experiments this morning. I'd transfered all these old media files from an 800 firewire to a USB3 drive. I went back to the original hard drive and found Resolve wouldn't connect to these problem files on it either. I note, too, that the XML file when opened in Resolve says "119 clips not found". I was able to import all but 12 of the tapes containing these clips yesterday. (When the project is open in FCP on the same computer all the project's media files are recognized - though I did have to manually reconnect a whole lot of these when I first opened the old project.)

Thanks a lot for the help you are offering.

John
MAC OS 10.12.6
IMac 5K 27 inch (2017)
Start up Disk MAC HD
External 3TB USB disk

Resolve 15.

John Whiteway

PostTue Sep 22, 2020 11:43 pm

Well here's something weird.

As I wrote a few days ago, I imported an XML into Resolve 15 from Final Cut Pro 7. The XML imported just fine but about half of the media didn't. I'd thought I'd just manual import each of these missing files but found that of the dozens missing only a few would import. No matter what I tried I couldn't get Resolve to recognize all these other quicktime files. I tried importing them from another drive, tried putting them in a different folder...but nothing. Dwaine Maggart in your reply you asked that I upload one of these problem files for you to examine, and I did try to do that. Problem here was Google Drive was only uploading about 10% of the 5.5 GB file each night. I plugged away at that till today when all that I'd uploaded so far disappeared. I got the idea then to see if converting the files might be away to solve this problem. My computer has IMovie so I used it to convert one of these .mov files to ProRes. When I finished I tried it, and sure enough Resolve accepted it. I then went though my project and listed the remaining dozens of failing .mov files, with the intention of slowly converting each to ProRes. After I'd converted six of these (using the same name for each new ProRes file as the .mov files) I decided I better check that all's well and that these would import and connect as well. They did, but like magic, suddenly the whole project turned green! The half of the timeline that had been off-line red was green! Wow! What happened? Somehow changing seven files to PreRes and importing these suddenly made Resolve recognize all the other .mov files it would neither recognize nor let me import. it will be interesting to check tomorrow to see if Resolve is recognizing the ProRes versions of the six files I converted or if it's now recognizing their .mov versions.

Well, if all things stay like this my problem is solved. I just thought you Resolve wizards might find my experience interesting.
MAC OS 10.12.6
IMac 5K 27 inch (2017)
Start up Disk MAC HD
External 3TB USB disk

Resolve 15.

Return to DaVinci Resolve