Can you do two BRAW edits?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

abba2566

PostMon Mar 02, 2020 11:07 am

I was just wondering if it is possible to do two different grades on RAW footage?
I shot a video doing a walk through of a building site on a gimbal, some of it is quite well lit and some of it is somewhat darker, but it's all in one continuous clip.
I'm using the plugin for Premiere, but it applies any RAW changes at the master level, meaning that the change effects the clip as a whole, even when cut up in the timeline for example.

Is there any way to apply two different BRAW grades on the same footage, in the same timeline. Or is the only way to do the BRAW grade, export it out. Do the second grade and export that out and work with the exported clips

Uli Plank

Re: Can you do two BRAW edits?

PostTue Mar 03, 2020 1:24 am

Get Resolve!
A sliding grade (keyframed) is no problem at all. You don't keyframe the RAW values (use a middle ground), but the latitude to grade is still there in the Color page.

If you want to stick to Premiere, try two tracks and a dissolve.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Brad Hurley

PostTue Mar 03, 2020 11:48 am

It's hard to believe that Premiere doesn't have the ability to keyframe exposure changes within a clip; even Final Cut Pro X can do this (and not just with exposure but color temperature and other attributes). You might want to check the Premiere manual to see if keyframing exposure and color temperature changes is possible; I'd be surprised if it isn't.

Resolve can do this keyframing too of course, or you can use the Color Stabilizer OFX in Resolve to smooth out color temperature and exposure changes within a clip.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Nick Heydon

PostTue Mar 03, 2020 1:27 pm

Brad, Premiere can indeed keyframe all colour and exposure adjustments - If they're made in Lumetri or another clip effect. The problem comes when you adjust the master clip with the raw panel. any changes there are applied to the master and it doesn't allow key framing. I'm not sure on the reasons why exactly, but since Blackmagic make the plugin, it's not really anything to do with Adobe. In fact, I think the same rules apply in Resolve when you're adjusting raw settings.

As for the original question - you could make a duplicate of the clip on your hard drive, import the original and the duplicate and cross fade between them as the light changes. That way the raw settings will treat the clips as their own entity and won't know that they're the same thing with a different file name.

timbutt2

PostTue Mar 03, 2020 5:05 pm

Resolve gives you Versions for multiple grades. That way you can grade one way and then another and compare the two for a client. Completely nondestructive!

DaVinci Resolve is a far superior color grading tool than Adobe Premiere. Don’t waste your time and energy in Premiere. Get Resolve!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Nick Heydon

PostTue Mar 03, 2020 6:46 pm

Sure - but some clients require specific software. I have one who're locked into Adobe for example, and need all project in Premiere on their archives. It's not my job or position to argue over which software should be used.

Knowing how to do the same thing in many different suites - with or without a workaround - cannot be a bad thing. The original question is about Premiere, so I don't understand why people say switch to Resolve.

My motorbike has a puncture, please don't suggest I get a car because it can carry a spare.

carlomacchiavello

PostTue Mar 03, 2020 8:00 pm

Nick Heydon wrote:The problem comes when you adjust the master clip with the raw panel. any changes there are applied to the master and it doesn't allow key framing. I'm not sure on the reasons why exactly, but since Blackmagic make the plugin, it's not really anything to do with Adobe.

no, the same limits is on Red, Arri, Sony raw elaboration, on master tab there disabled all keyframe when you edit raw, the limits is in SDK of Adobe,

Anyway, if you duplicate clip in project window you can edit raw like two different clip.
Is one of reasons behind the workflow where you start to do in out in media browser and directly drag on project windows instead to import single long clip and cut later in timeline

abba2566

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 6:33 pm

Nick Heydon wrote:Brad, Premiere can indeed keyframe all colour and exposure adjustments - If
As for the original question - you could make a duplicate of the clip on your hard drive, import the original and the duplicate and cross fade between them as the light changes. That way the raw settings will treat the clips as their own entity and won't know that they're the same thing with a different file name.

Ah, this is a great suggestion! This time round, I ended up doing what I suggested in my original post and exporting out a high quality version with the first set of changes and then editing with that and the original BRAW.

Just to speak to some of the other comments, I was doing the edit on site at a clients and they only had premiere and wanted a 4K final file (I believe the free version of Resolve is limited to FHD exports?) And at that point I was still very new to Resolve (I still am, but I use it for most of my grading now!)

Uli Plank

PostThu Sep 17, 2020 12:28 pm

The free version is limited to UHD exports, just a tad short of 4K.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Hendrik Proosa

PostThu Sep 17, 2020 2:22 pm

Just for information, it is actually possible to do this kind of changes also in sidecar file, it can contain keyframes based on timecode. Unfortunately with constant interpolation (value is held until next keyframe). Not sure this is actually documented anywhere, some examples of how to use it are in my braw player thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=92559
I do stuff

antoine

PostThu Sep 17, 2020 3:20 pm

Yes you can do that. You can simply import twice the same .BRAW it will create two different Project Item in your Project Panel, each one having its own Source Settings !

In BRAW Studio PrPro Panel we have a special button to ease this workflow : https://www.autokroma.com/blog/BRAW-Stu ... aw-footage

"Set New Source" button to give a different color grading for the same .braw footage
The Source Settings are applied on the Source, so in Premiere Pro on a "Project Item". If you have 2 clips in your timeline which come from the same Project Item (for example after cutting a clip with the Premiere Pro Razor tool), both will be linked with the same Source Settings : if you change the Source Settings from one clip, the other one will be affected.
In order to have different Source Settings for the clips in your timeline which come from the same "Project Item", you need to duplicate the Project Item, replace the clip in your timeline. But the in/out points of the initial clip will be lost, as well as its speed settings, its scale, position, opacity and any effect on it.
That's why we made this new feature ! With the "Set New Source" button, you just need to select a clip in your timeline and click on the button. The original "Project Item" will be automatically duplicated without loosing any setting (It will keep the same footage interpretation, effects on the master tab, ..). You can find this new Project Item in the Project Panel, in a new Folder called "BRAW_Studio_Items". The clip in the timeline will be re-assigned to this new Project Item (Don't worry, the clip will also keep all its settings : speed, position, opacity, effects, ..). You can now set the Source Settings for this clip without having other clips affected !
BRAW Studio FREE and Premium for Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects, with a brand new Desktop .BRAW Player and Color Grader, as well as an automatic White Balance Color Picker tool

Howard Roll

PostThu Sep 17, 2020 6:25 pm

You can't keyframe Raw Tab changes in Resolve either. Can't speak to Premier from experience but you may try to duplicate the clip in the Bin rather than duplicating and/or exporting re-importing the media externally. Will likely save you disk space and still allow you to cross fade between tracks.

Good Luck

lost_soul

PostThu Sep 17, 2020 11:57 pm

Say you shot a 10min clip in BRAW but only really wanted to save 30 seconds of it. Is there any way to cut out the junk and save the rest back into a BRAW file? I am not talking about any other changes than cutting the file.
Centos 8
RX 580
AMDGPU-pro
Studio (What ever the latest is)

Uli Plank

PostFri Sep 18, 2020 4:11 am

Yes: Media Manager.

Nicolas from Autokroma

PostFri Sep 18, 2020 9:32 am

About the ability to use keyframes on some BRAW parameters in Premiere Pro, and also the last question about cutting out the junk, you can vote in this form to see them in BRAW Studio (bottom of the article).

https://www.autokroma.com/blog/BRAW-Stu ... e-Features

We are currently working and studying all these new features, and the form is here for us to know what the BRAW Studio users would want the most in Premiere Pro !
Autokroma BRAW Studio - FREE and Premium plugin for Premiere, After Effect & Media Encoder with a brand new Desktop .BRAW Player and Color Grader, as well as an automatic White Balance Color Picker tool

Return to Cinematography