fast forward rewind

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

barrywilkes

fast forward rewind

PostWed Aug 14, 2019 8:47 am

How do I fast forward rewind a clip on the keyboard cheers Barry

Charles Bennett

Re: fast forward rewind

PostWed Aug 14, 2019 9:59 am

On Preview or Timeline Shift+J or Shift+L keys, K to stop. Pressing the J or L keys more than once while holding down Shift will speed up the forward or rewind. Or to go directly to the front or end, the Home and End keys.
Resolve Studio 19.0b build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Jim Simon

PostWed Aug 14, 2019 1:28 pm

I'm assuming you forgot the "and" in your request? Fast Forward and Rewind? (You know they're separate functions, yes?)

Or are you asking for something different?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

barrywilkes

PostWed Aug 14, 2019 8:40 pm

yes ff and rewind

vegasprouser

PostWed Sep 23, 2020 1:08 pm

Is there a way to slow down the fast forward functionality? I don't need it to jump straight to 2x. I need it to fast forward 1.5x or so. Is this possible? How can you edit through material at a higher speed than 1x without changing the speed of the clips? 2x is just too fast to understand dialogues.

Jim Simon

PostWed Sep 23, 2020 3:47 pm

No, that's not currently possible.

There is a separate forum for Feature Requests.

viewforum.php?f=33

Best practice is to search first, to see if someone already asked. If not, post one idea per thread with a very brief description of the idea in the thread's title.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

vegasprouser

PostWed Sep 23, 2020 3:58 pm

I've just found out from the Russian forum that there's a feature to speed up going through initial stage of editing in the Cut mode. Will look into it and then share what I discover.

Edit: Oh, nevermind. The guy was actually pointing me towards "Fast Review" feature, which is useless in case of just speeding up the editing process slightly. He also said, that something like that is available with the BM surface. Well, I guess I'll just follow you advice, Jim.
Last edited by vegasprouser on Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jim Simon

PostWed Sep 23, 2020 4:01 pm

Source Tape on the CUT page might be to your liking.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

vegasprouser

PostWed Sep 23, 2020 4:27 pm

Hmm, yeah, now I see there's no other workaround at the moment, but to either begin editing in Premiere and then export to Davinci, or buy this thing for a grand. :D

The fast review mode on the cut page is just crazy fast. While I'm working primarily with dialogues, meaning I should be able to comprehend the meaning of words. Even 2x is overloading my brain. Or maybe I just need to start watching YouTube at 2x and eventually train myself. :D

Jim Simon

PostWed Sep 23, 2020 4:31 pm

Well, I saw a video from an ACE editor recently. His advice was to watch all the footage, in real time, twice, before you even begin editing.

The first time just watch, the second time make notes.

His view was that such was critical to get a proper feel for the project.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

vegasprouser

PostWed Sep 23, 2020 4:43 pm

Looks like my assumption about the glorious editor keyboard doesn't solve the problem either. It has this jog wheel, but I doesn't seem to do what I need - that is to speed up the overal playback at a certain rate. So, looks like I'm stuck with "feature request" option and hope for the best.

As to "ace's advice", he clearly doesn't deal with TV project that are shot today and have to submitted tomorrow, or very soon. There's no time to watch even one time at 1x. Not to mention two times. You watch faster than 1x and edit right away. The program goes out, it's aired once and then it's forgotten. So, for a hardcore production like that 1.25x or 1.5x is absolutely crucial. I'm slowing myself down with DaVinci Resolve at the moment.

Jim Simon

PostWed Sep 23, 2020 4:44 pm

No, he's a Cinema editor. Big budget stuff.

What I find more difficult about that kind of scanning is not the 2x speed, but that the audio goes out of phase when you scan.

I'd love for that to get changed.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

vegasprouser

PostWed Sep 23, 2020 6:32 pm

Well, at least I'm lucky not to have this out of phaze issue, Jim. My system handles the fast forward just fine. If people would talk a bit slower, I could actually scan material like that no problem.

vegasprouser

PostThu Sep 24, 2020 6:18 am

Actually, I just realized that the perfect solution to this problem would be to just optimize playback quality for increased Playback Frame Rate in Project Settings. This would be the perfect solution. Just raise FPS and there you go. The audio/video desync and choppy sound is what makes this recepy unusable at the moment.

What I also discovered this morning is that the problem occurs primarily in the audio channel, probably because it needs to preserve the same tonlity while increasing speed. For example, in Vegas, when one would increase playback speed, the tonality of audio would also go up. Would be nice to have an option somewhere in Resolve to untick the preservation of audio tonality - then, I assume, this would work.
Last edited by vegasprouser on Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Timo92

PostThu Sep 24, 2020 6:35 am

vegasprouser wrote:Actually, I just realized that the perfect solution to this problem would be to just optimize playback quality for increased Playback Frame Rate in Project Settings. This would be the perfect solution. Just raise FPS and there you go. The audio/video desync and choppy sound is what makes this recepy unusable at the moment.

+1

I have the same problem. Please, developers, fix the audio/video desync and choppy sound when changing the Frame Rate in the Project Settings.

vegasprouser

PostMon Oct 05, 2020 3:24 pm

The workaround, at the moment, is to just utilize Change Clip Speed option. Like, if I have to go through a long chain of interviews to reduce 1 hour of footage to 3 minutes of valuable dialogues, I do this:

1) Change Clip Speed for one of the clips on the timeline with Ripple Sequence checked
2) Select that clip and copy it into clipboard
3) Paste Attributes onto all clips in the category of Retime Effects with "Ripple Sequence" checked

Now that I'm done cutting through all the clips, I again change one of the clips to 100% and paste attributes of that clip onto all clips on the timeline. And that works splendid. Cause everything that needs to be done afterwards is anyway best performed in real-time. At least for my workflow it's acceptable, until Resolve evolves the Playback Frame Rate parameter to something more stable and usable.

ChrisSpiegl

PostMon Mar 15, 2021 6:23 am

Adding more granular fast forward with 1.25, 1.5, 1,75x as well as 2.5x would be incredibly helpful.
And adding to that keeping the playback pitch reasonable as well — I found that this got a bit better now but it seems to take a moment to analyze the clip before playback at 2x is pitched 'normal'.

Really hope something basic like fast forward at 1.5x would be added more quickly to improve an aspect of editing probably almost any editor has to go through instead of adding and improving things that are down the line and only affect few.
Creating Videos at youtube.com/ChrisSpiegl
Working on a 2021 MacBook Pro M1Max 16" (64GB 1TB 32 Core) with an LG Ultra-wide Monitor
Creating with the Canon EOS R5 C · 2x Canon EOS R · Atomos Ninja V · Zoom F6 · ATEM Mini Pro ISO

Jim Simon

PostMon Mar 15, 2021 5:35 pm

ChrisSpiegl wrote:Really hope something would be added

We can ask.

viewforum.php?f=33

Best practice is to search first, to see if someone already asked. If not, post one idea per thread with a very brief description of the idea in the thread's title.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

peterfox

PostThu Dec 09, 2021 1:11 pm

Yes please! 1.5x/1.75x and 2.5x/3x would be nice so nice!

aquinox

• Warnings: 1

PostSun Jul 17, 2022 12:02 pm

please add this to DR 18!
AMD3700x
32GB DDR4
RTX2060 super
SSD
Win10

Time wasted due to resolve bugs: 38 hours (and counting.. just used for 6 months)
Time wasted due to Premiere bugs: 108 hrs (final)

dagabeTO

PostSat Nov 26, 2022 5:25 pm

Davinci Resolve's inability to play back speeds between 1x and 2x is the sole reason I won't use it for my own projects, and it's something I always warn people about when they ask me about Resolve. (I'm not looking for an argument; if someone doesn't need that feature for their project or workflow, great, but for me it's essential.) FCP and Premiere Pro can both do it. When I first started on Avid Media Composer you could only do it using a complicated mouse feature--or using a separate hardware controller, which I purchased just for that purpose. Now even MC allows you to program keyboard shortcuts to easily adjust playback speed in 0.1x increments, mid-flow. I will be glad whenever Davinci Resolve gains that feature.

aquinox

• Warnings: 1

PostWed Nov 30, 2022 11:01 am

dagabeTO wrote:Davinci Resolve's inability to play back speeds between 1x and 2x is the sole reason I won't use it for my own projects, and it's something I always warn people about when they ask me about Resolve. (I'm not looking for an argument; if someone doesn't need that feature for their project or workflow, great, but for me it's essential.) FCP and Premiere Pro can both do it. When I first started on Avid Media Composer you could only do it using a complicated mouse feature--or using a separate hardware controller, which I purchased just for that purpose. Now even MC allows you to program keyboard shortcuts to easily adjust playback speed in 0.1x increments, mid-flow. I will be glad whenever Davinci Resolve gains that feature.

Yes please add this.. BM listen to your users...
AMD3700x
32GB DDR4
RTX2060 super
SSD
Win10

Time wasted due to resolve bugs: 38 hours (and counting.. just used for 6 months)
Time wasted due to Premiere bugs: 108 hrs (final)

Return to DaVinci Resolve