Blackmagic Cinema Camera Price Reduction

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline
User avatar

rick.lang

  • Posts: 13738
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:41 pm
  • Location: Victoria BC Canada

Re: Blackmagic Cinema Camera Price Reduction

PostFri Aug 02, 2013 8:00 pm

mhood wrote:A quick question... Was it something I said?


Love your sense of humour, Marc! More likely the email is in your Junk folder or went astray on the Internet. Hope you find it soon as it seems to be a noteworthy note, a missive that missed the mark for some people. Pardon my language.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang
Offline

Chris Quevedo

  • Posts: 61
  • Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:28 am
  • Location: california

Re: Blackmagic Cinema Camera Price Reduction

PostFri Aug 02, 2013 8:02 pm

Aaron Scheiner wrote:A price drop of this magnitude is not "inevitable".


hi aaron,

i personally don't own a camera yet, and i can feel your frustration and concern. really sorry you feel this way, but i have to agree that yes price drops are inevitable. at some point its bound to happen. and i say this because at the price they sell their cameras, they are probably not selling them for profit like canon. while they must make some profit, the profit margins are probably much higher on the post production products. selling their cameras as cheap as possible will leave more money in the budget for film makers to buy their post production stuff. since this is the model they've chosen, i'm betting their model is to make the cameras as inexpensive as humanly possible at all times.

so when you look at it that way, yes, it is inevitable that the price has to be driven down by this magnitude. thats why they give Da Vinci Resolve for free with each camera i believe. its so we'll be more convinced to purchase their non-camera products as well to work with it. think about it. ever wondered why they give Da Vinci Resolve away but the official color grading panel is big buck$? drive down camera prices and drive up their sales and they'll also make a butt ton of money selling racks and switchers and hyperdeck shuttles.

now i'm not saying this should make you ok with it, your concerns are real and i feel bad for you. but at the same time, i can't look at what i interpret to be their business model and say i didn't see this coming, or that several others of us should have as well
Offline

Haakon Sundry

  • Posts: 123
  • Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:23 pm

Re: Blackmagic Cinema Camera Price Reduction

PostFri Aug 02, 2013 8:03 pm

Rudy Satria wrote:I just received BMCC on May 2013. The price reduction announcement may sounds bad for me. I Im not the one who dropped an invesment to this camera for a rental business. its like just too fast. BUT the thing that matter for me is IM NOT REALLY FEEL SO BAD about this. Im still happy anyway :D the camera that i own today is worth that money. Tom was right, we have to deal with it as our decision to be the first adopter. If i look at the brightside there will more users and wider market for this camera which is GOOD.

The world needs more people like Rudy.
Offline

Samjack

  • Posts: 278
  • Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:00 am

Re: Blackmagic Cinema Camera Price Reduction

PostFri Aug 02, 2013 8:04 pm

Frank Glencairn wrote:I'm old enough, to remember a time, where it took cameramen 5-8 years (sometimes more) to pay off the credit for their Digibetas .
Some got into deep dept, some mortgaged their home, some where forced to take every underpaid crappy camera job for it, andwhatnot. Some guys even never got enough money or credit to come anywhere near of owning a Digibeta.

Getting ROI within a few months was absolute out of question back than.

And now we have a much better camera, with higher resolution, better DR, lossles codec and much better overall image quality for 5% of the price, that you can ROI within a few jobs and you guys complain, that you "lost" 1000 bucks, because you bought too early, instead of taking advantage of it and buy an other one?

Really?


I use to earn £25 per week enough to live on water and crisp while journey to work on public transport and I felt happy about it then. I wouldnt be now because I have higher expectation.

No point comparing the past with the present.

BTW its not anyone's fault for buying "too early" rather the problem is the camera arriving too late for the price cut. You got your camera early so it is understandable you don't share the same pain as those who had to waite nearly a year and then this price cut after they just recieve their camera.
Last edited by Samjack on Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Offline

Samjack

  • Posts: 278
  • Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:00 am

Re: Blackmagic Cinema Camera Price Reduction

PostFri Aug 02, 2013 8:13 pm

Andrew Reid wrote:
Frank Glencairn wrote:I'm old enough, to remember a time, where it took cameramen 5-8 years (sometimes more) to pay off the credit for their Digibetas .
Some got into deep dept, some mortgaged their home, some where forced to take every underpaid crappy camera job for it, andwhatnot. Some guys even never got enough money or credit to come anywhere near of owning a Digibeta.

Getting ROI within a few months was absolute out of question back than.

And now we have a much better camera, with higher resolution, better DR, lossles codec and much better overall image quality for 5% of the price, that you can ROI within a few jobs and you guys complain, that you "lost" 1000 bucks, because you bought too early, instead of taking advantage of it and buy an other one?

Really?


You can also look at the BMCC as a consumer camera to who $1000 is a lot of money and not everyone has the opportunity of turning a purchase into a profit. So I feel for them.


I agree with the last part. Some folks here seem to have forgotten the whole idea of BMD was marketing their BMCC cameras as an alterantive to the Canon 5D. I certainly don't see the BMCC as a pro camera because it lacks many features that one would expect a pro camera should have. To me a BMCC is more of a enthusiast control environment camera that needed bits and pieces to make it shoot reliably well in all situations.
Offline

Chris Quevedo

  • Posts: 61
  • Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:28 am
  • Location: california

Re: Blackmagic Cinema Camera Price Reduction

PostFri Aug 02, 2013 8:15 pm

Aaron Scheiner wrote:sebasti :
But like I said before, if BM is cool, they will listen each dissatisfied customer and work out some sort of compensation plan according to the when the camera was bought, when it was received.

Sebasti... that would be great... as I've said, a hardware rebate on future purchases would be wonderful... but absolutely NO suggestion that that will happen has occurred. No one bothered to think before sending out that mailer. Using something that BMD could do in the future is no defense for what has been done.

You get your camera, you make some money with it and then I take that money away from you. That's what BMD has done.

@woodybrando:
The real world :
A man buys a camera, new, for $3000. He resells it a year later for $2500.
A man buys a camera, new, for $2000. He resells it a year later for $1500.
The BMD world :
A man buys a camera, new, for $3000. He resells it a year later for $1500.

Did you see what happened ? The resale price decreased. Yes, the camera loses value as soon as you open the box, but the initial value that that depreciation is calculated against has been decreased by BMD. Apart from that, there are also other factors which influence the price of a camera, in BMD's case, the introduction of the pocket and 4k cameras. More choice translates into more supply, which, assuming a constant demand, decreases price.


ok, that only matters if you didn't like it and didn't expect your investment in it to last several years. also it shouldn't matter if you are using it for say, the next couple of years to make money. i mean, if you're using it on paid gigs, you should be able to accomplish a couple thousand a job and make back your investment. and its the same for someone who bought a Canon C300 for $15,000. they don't buy it unless they know it fits their needs and its gonna last them several years.

so if i may ask, does this concern really come out because you don't want it anymore and are trying to get your money back? just because a camera like this is cheaper than a red scarlet or a sony f55, doesn't mean you still shouldn't get into equipment like this as a disposable purchase.

so again, feel bad for you on the one hand cause you think you've lost a monetary investment, but to summarize my point, if this tool is gonna continue to make you money for several years, why does that matter to you? especially when you could have had it WAY worse had this been a Red like someone else said
Offline
User avatar

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

  • Posts: 2305
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:53 am
  • Location: Portland, Oregon USA

Re: Blackmagic Cinema Camera Price Reduction

PostFri Aug 02, 2013 8:19 pm

mhood wrote:
sean mclennan wrote:
mhood wrote:Whazup? Was it something I said?


It was. You said you bought a C100 :P


Guilty as charged...and was I ever livid when Canon dropped the price $1,000.00. :lol:


And percentage-wise that was a tiny price drop by comparison, too.

-
http://www.peterdv.com
Offline

Jorgdick

  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:40 pm

Re: Blackmagic Cinema Camera Price Reduction

PostFri Aug 02, 2013 8:47 pm

I would like to say thank you to Black Magic Camera for the drop..thank you,thank you :D we have all been early adopters at one time or another.Thank for making the dream of movie making just a little closer :lol:
Last edited by Jorgdick on Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Offline

Jorgdick

  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:40 pm

Re: Blackmagic Cinema Camera Price Reduction

PostFri Aug 02, 2013 8:52 pm

I always do a google BMCC search every couple of days to see what's up with the camera was I in for a BIG SURPRISE ! Or what I read the good news and couldn't believe it until I saw all of you mad and complaining.
Offline

Chris Quevedo

  • Posts: 61
  • Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:28 am
  • Location: california

Re: Blackmagic Cinema Camera Price Reduction

PostFri Aug 02, 2013 9:09 pm

Darkfable wrote:One reason could be that the pocket camera pre order is so vast that they are trying to change pre orders into BMCC sales to reduce the pre order que and save face when customers end up waiting another year for their pocket cameras.


well i was 6 weeks in before i pre-ordered. i regret not ordering sooner soooooo bad. i'm just worried that perhaps i'm so far down the que i should just cancel
Offline

Merano Winterstein

  • Posts: 15
  • Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:30 pm

Re: Blackmagic Cinema Camera Price Reduction

PostFri Aug 02, 2013 9:11 pm

i feel happy for every new customer who gets the camera that cheap and i am happy for BMD getting alot new customers cause of this price drop!
BUT we just got our camera 4 weeks ago and payed 1000 euros more ... if BMD dosnt do anything for us we feel really unhappy.

i think this makes me and many many others go crazy ...
Offline

Chris Quevedo

  • Posts: 61
  • Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:28 am
  • Location: california

Re: Blackmagic Cinema Camera Price Reduction

PostFri Aug 02, 2013 9:13 pm

metaljesus wrote:
Tom wrote:Oh by the way guys, in a year or so, the BMPCC and BMPC will probably come down in price - so you know....just so that this time next year you aren't complaining again.... you have been warned.


Do you think they'll suddenly be reduced by a 1/3rd in price shortly after being avaliable off the shelf?

That's the part that the people calling this 'normal' are missing.


maybe not a 1/3, but more like 1/4. but yes i fully expect this
Offline

Jorgdick

  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:40 pm

Re: Blackmagic Cinema Camera Price Reduction

PostFri Aug 02, 2013 9:14 pm

Good take that anger and craziness and write a good story or script
Offline
User avatar

Frank Glencairn

  • Posts: 1658
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:07 am
  • Location: Germany

Re: Blackmagic Cinema Camera Price Reduction

PostFri Aug 02, 2013 9:30 pm

Andrew Reid wrote:You can also look at the BMCC as a consumer camera to who $1000 is a lot of money and not everyone has the opportunity of turning a purchase into a profit. So I feel for them.


Weren't they happy to pay 3000 bucks for BMC cause they thought it was a steal for the money? Actually they where so happy couldn't wait to pay, so the pre-ordered.
Are you not happy for those consumers that can save $1000 from now on?
http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

I told you so :-)
Offline
User avatar

Hans Engstrom

  • Posts: 57
  • Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:24 pm

Re: Blackmagic Cinema Camera Price Reduction

PostFri Aug 02, 2013 9:46 pm

If you don´t want to risk loosing money on gear, budget on rental equipment when you agree to a job and rent everything. The last "pro" camera I owned was a Aaton LTR54 and it didn´t loose any value for several years and then within a year it lost almost all the value, I knew that was going to happen and I wasn´t angry.

I was initially going to wait and see what the 4K camera had to offer but as the 4k is EF only (so far) so it would have been far from perfect for my needs anyhow so I ordered the BMCC mft today. The BMCC is so cheap right now that it pays for itself with just a couple of days work. I was going to buy resolve anyway so the camera is a steal.

regards
Hans Engstrom
1st AC
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1357950/
Offline

Jorgdick

  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:40 pm

Re: Blackmagic Cinema Camera Price Reduction

PostFri Aug 02, 2013 10:27 pm

Hans Engstrom wrote:If you don´t want to risk loosing money on gear, budget on rental equipment when you agree to a job and rent everything. The last "pro" camera I owned was a Aaton LTR54 and it didn´t loose any value for several years and then within a year it lost almost all the value, I knew that was going to happen and I wasn´t angry.

I was initially going to wait and see what the 4K camera had to offer but as the 4k is EF only (so far) so it would have been far from perfect for my needs anyhow so I ordered the BMCC mft today. The BMCC is so cheap right now that it pays for itself with just a couple of days work. I was going to buy resolve anyway so the camera is a steal.

regards
Hans Engstrom


Hope you like your new camera can you confirm that RESOLVE software still comes packaged with the BMCC?
Offline

MaRsA

  • Posts: 22
  • Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:22 am

Re: Blackmagic Cinema Camera Price Reduction

PostFri Aug 02, 2013 10:36 pm

Actually the camera became only for 1000$ and another 1000$ is for DaVinci Resolve!, Am I correct?
Majed Albayed
Offline

Thor Knudsen

  • Posts: 12
  • Joined: Sat May 11, 2013 10:46 pm

Re: Blackmagic Cinema Camera Price Reduction

PostFri Aug 02, 2013 10:39 pm

MaRsA wrote:Actually the camera became only for 1000$ and another 1000$ is for DaVinci Resolve!, Am I correct?


Considering that you can't split the package; No you're not :)
- in principle though, you can think of it like that...
Offline

Neal Tate

  • Posts: 62
  • Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:03 am
  • Location: Indiana/Kentucky

Re: Blackmagic Cinema Camera Price Reduction

PostFri Aug 02, 2013 10:43 pm

ladies and gents, I think we just witnessed Grant set down to play a game of chess with Canon.

I'm my opinion, yes, it is somewhat a slap in the face to whoever currently bought one, and believe me, I paid $1k OVER retail to avoid the wait, and my buddy just traded a c100 for a BMCC.

Grants decision to do this seems like a move to make an individuals decision to buy a MK3 or BMCC a little easier. If the RAW thing didn't bust open to the canon world like it did, I don't think the price would have dropped. You have to remember that most people would also weigh the option of a 7D or a BMCC.

As others have said, that extra $1000 would have been nice for other equipment.

This may also be a way to take some of the attention off the 4K delay.
Offline

Christine Peterson

  • Posts: 662
  • Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:00 pm
  • Location: Boston, MA

Re: Blackmagic Cinema Camera Price Reduction

PostFri Aug 02, 2013 10:52 pm

mhood wrote:A quick question: About seven months ago (or so), I emailed Christine to be placed on the email list for notification of any updates. As best I recall, I have received one email and that was about five months ago (or so). I did not receive this email notification of the BMCC price reduction. Whazup? Was it something I said?

Ha, no I didn't kick you off! I was manually maintaining that list for shipping updates on the forum for the original BMCC. I haven't sent out one of those emails in a long time, since the last big shipping update from Grant on the forum for the BMCC was several months ago.

The price reduction news was sent out from Grant to our main email list, which customers can opt into at one of our events or by registering a Blackmagic product on our website. I just posted the full text of that email here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10728
Christine Peterson

(Previously Community Relations Manager for Blackmagic Design)
Offline

bhook

  • Posts: 1024
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:19 pm

Re: Blackmagic Cinema Camera Price Reduction

PostFri Aug 02, 2013 11:27 pm

Thanks Christine.
Offline

Nairbr

  • Posts: 6
  • Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:11 am

Re: Blackmagic Cinema Camera Price Reduction

PostSat Aug 03, 2013 12:05 am

Hi this is my first post on here but I have been a long time reader.
I just purchased mine yesterday online from Videoguys in Melbourne at the old price then 3 hours later I get the email from Grant and find out its nearly $1000 cheaper. I hope I get it at the newer price because they didn't have any in stock and would have to get one from the supplier.
Offline
User avatar

nonlinearedits

  • Posts: 44
  • Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:32 pm
  • Location: SEPA

Re: Blackmagic Cinema Camera Price Reduction

PostSat Aug 03, 2013 12:33 am

Can I have a free $1,000 BM Pocket Camera since I was just screwed $1,000 on the camera I just bought from you guys? That seems pretty fair.
Offline

Chris Quevedo

  • Posts: 61
  • Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:28 am
  • Location: california

Re: Blackmagic Cinema Camera Price Reduction

PostSat Aug 03, 2013 3:42 am

nonlinearedits wrote:Can I have a free $1,000 BM Pocket Camera since I was just screwed $1,000 on the camera I just bought from you guys? That seems pretty fair.


when you say, "just bought" why not just ship it back for a refund to the retailer and then repurchase it at the new price or just contact the retailer to see if they will refund the $1000
Offline

Chris Quevedo

  • Posts: 61
  • Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:28 am
  • Location: california

Re: Blackmagic Cinema Camera Price Reduction

PostSat Aug 03, 2013 3:44 am

Nairbr wrote:Hi this is my first post on here but I have been a long time reader.
I just purchased mine yesterday online from Videoguys in Melbourne at the old price then 3 hours later I get the email from Grant and find out its nearly $1000 cheaper. I hope I get it at the newer price because they didn't have any in stock and would have to get one from the supplier.


again, why is no one just going to the store they bought it from and asking them to fix this instead of complaining on here, you'll probably get it taken care of faster if you do
Offline

Michael Odhiambo

  • Posts: 151
  • Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:27 pm

Re: Blackmagic Cinema Camera Price Reduction

PostSat Aug 03, 2013 4:03 am

Grant posted this while giggling. Lol.
Offline

Chris Quevedo

  • Posts: 61
  • Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:28 am
  • Location: california

Re: Blackmagic Cinema Camera Price Reduction

PostSat Aug 03, 2013 4:55 am

ya know, i can tell a lot of people feel "shafted" right now. but honestly, do we really believe that Blackmagic's master plan is to do this sort of thing to mess with us? i mean come on, you guys make it sound like Grant is evil somehow and that he did this to intentionally piss you off.

but seriously now, what evil mastermind comes up with a plan for world domination that involves making less money by selling his product for less. give me a break!

"Mwua-ha-ha-ha!!! From this moment on, people will owe less money to buy my cameras! They won't know what hit 'em!"

shouldn't we be just thanking our lucky stars they didn't INCREASE the price upon realizing how many people want these things? it could easily have been price matched to a Canon C300 ya know, and that thing doesn't shoot anything close to RAW!
Offline

Rich Camp

  • Posts: 21
  • Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:32 am

Re: Blackmagic Cinema Camera Price Reduction

PostSat Aug 03, 2013 5:19 am

I wish I wasn't so excited to be a early adopter and supporter of the BlackMagic movement because now I feel taken advantage of for pre-ordering a camera and they drop my resale value by 30%. =( :? :cry:
Offline
User avatar

nonlinearedits

  • Posts: 44
  • Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:32 pm
  • Location: SEPA

Re: Blackmagic Cinema Camera Price Reduction

PostSat Aug 03, 2013 5:50 am

Chris Daniel wrote:
nonlinearedits wrote:Can I have a free $1,000 BM Pocket Camera since I was just screwed $1,000 on the camera I just bought from you guys? That seems pretty fair.


when you say, "just bought" why not just ship it back for a refund to the retailer and then repurchase it at the new price or just contact the retailer to see if they will refund the $1000


Just bought to me was in the last few weeks. Beyond the 15 day return period. Honestly though, we all wait a year for our camera to ship, just to find out it's selling a 3rd less than what we bought it for. How much does it really cost to make a pocket camera? I think BMCC could have made some sort of program to get a hefty discount or free pocket cam to make up for the $1k they were shorted on after waiting a year and a month for their camera to find out if they waited a month past that, they could have gotten it for $1k less.

Aside from this, are BMCC owners still getting the free Resolve upgrade?
Offline
User avatar

nonlinearedits

  • Posts: 44
  • Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:32 pm
  • Location: SEPA

Re: Blackmagic Cinema Camera Price Reduction

PostSat Aug 03, 2013 5:51 am

richcamp wrote:I wish I wasn't so excited to be a early adopter and supporter of the BlackMagic movement because now I feel taken advantage of for pre-ordering a camera and they drop my resale value by 30%. =( :? :cry:


Amen.
Offline
User avatar

Rudy Satria

  • Posts: 136
  • Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:01 pm
  • Location: Jakarta, Indonesia

Re: Blackmagic Cinema Camera Price Reduction

PostSat Aug 03, 2013 6:39 am

early adopter is a royal customer. somehow Grant didnt realize about people who are waiting the camera for so long and just received in several months or weeks ago. Im not blaming them who pissed off. But once again there's no point to cry here. Hoping compensation from BMD is almost impossible i think. Keep your heartbroken deep inside and learn from this and DON'T LOSE HOPE.
Rudy Iskandar
Offline

Anthony Vescio

  • Posts: 22
  • Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 1:58 am
  • Location: Buffalo, ny

Re: Blackmagic Cinema Camera Price Reduction

PostSat Aug 03, 2013 6:52 am

Chris Daniel wrote:
Nairbr wrote:Hi this is my first post on here but I have been a long time reader.
I just purchased mine yesterday online from Videoguys in Melbourne at the old price then 3 hours later I get the email from Grant and find out its nearly $1000 cheaper. I hope I get it at the newer price because they didn't have any in stock and would have to get one from the supplier.


again, why is no one just going to the store they bought it from and asking them to fix this instead of complaining on here, you'll probably get it taken care of faster if you do



Goddammit man! This is not the time for rational thought.
Offline
User avatar

earl riddick

  • Posts: 97
  • Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:56 pm

Re: Blackmagic Cinema Camera Price Reduction

PostSat Aug 03, 2013 7:16 am

Chris Daniel wrote:ya know, i can tell a lot of people feel "shafted" right now. but honestly, do we really believe that Blackmagic's master plan is to do this sort of thing to mess with us? i mean come on, you guys make it sound like Grant is evil somehow and that he did this to intentionally piss you off.

but seriously now, what evil mastermind comes up with a plan for world domination that involves making less money by selling his product for less. give me a break!

"Mwua-ha-ha-ha!!! From this moment on, people will owe less money to buy my cameras! They won't know what hit 'em!"

shouldn't we be just thanking our lucky stars they didn't INCREASE the price upon realizing how many people want these things? it could easily have been price matched to a Canon C300 ya know, and that thing doesn't shoot anything close to RAW!


i dont think anyone has said that grant or bmd as a whole are evil. This wouldn't be a problem if it weren't for one fact, MOST PEOPLE have only just started to see there pre orders starting to be for filled. in Europe for instance the whole stock situation has only just started to become "normal" with a lot of places still on back order. What there doing isn't legally wrong or "evil" by any means (everyone still has a great value camera which ever the cost you got it at) and many could argue that its not even morally wrong however this whole process has been a massive joke as far as im concerned. To wait on pre order supporting a company through a mass of change and hiccups to then have this after just a month or so after FINALLY receiving the product is just not a very nice way to communicate trust and care to your loyal customer base. Its also all very well people saying "well this just means you can get a second camera for cheaper" I (as with many i suspect) could barely afford the first camera i got.
Offline
User avatar

John Bartman

  • Posts: 351
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:15 pm

Re: Blackmagic Cinema Camera Price Reduction

PostSat Aug 03, 2013 7:18 am

Offline

nexus10

  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:17 pm

Re: Blackmagic Cinema Camera Price Reduction

PostSat Aug 03, 2013 10:04 am

x
Last edited by nexus10 on Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fred
nexus10@laposte.net
Offline

montmarek

  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:55 am

Re: Blackmagic Cinema Camera Price Reduction

PostSat Aug 03, 2013 10:47 am

15 days ago...and 1000 euros is much money for me. :evil: :(
Offline

Willzee

  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: Blackmagic Cinema Camera Price Reduction

PostSat Aug 03, 2013 12:25 pm

Wow! Awesome news on the price drop. I have been on the waiting list since April for a BMC MFT so when the price drop was announced, it was a pleasant surprise. Much to my luck, the BMCC MFT shipped today (on a Saturday) a day after the price announcement, so I contacted my reseller hoping to keep the MFT but receive a credit seeing as though my order was yet to fulfilled the day of the announcement. Anybody else in my position?
Offline
User avatar

John Bartman

  • Posts: 351
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:15 pm

Re: Blackmagic Cinema Camera Price Reduction

PostSat Aug 03, 2013 1:51 pm

Since the very first camera announcement and being part of this forum from the beginning, the summary so far:

LOVE THE VISUAL IMAGE
HATE THE AUDIO ISSUES
DISTRUST THE COMPANY
Offline

Theodore Prentice

  • Posts: 591
  • Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:56 pm

Re: Blackmagic Cinema Camera Price Reduction

PostSat Aug 03, 2013 2:18 pm

John Bartman wrote:Since the very first camera announcement and being part of this forum from the beginning, the summary so far:

LOVE THE VISUAL IMAGE
HATE THE AUDIO ISSUES
DISTRUST THE COMPANY


Im agreeing with Bartman..what in the hell is going on!?!? :mrgreen:

For me, Ive gone with AJA t-tap over BMDs similar product, going almost completely with SpeedGrade, will probably sell my Resolve dongle, and REFUSED to send my BMCC in for a service issue, investing in our FS700 4k capabilities vs the BMCPC4k

And this was before the price drop.

The image quality is just one part of the entire equation, i whole heartedly do not trust BMD to deliver on any of their claims for the next 6 months.
Offline
User avatar

Andrew Reid

  • Posts: 107
  • Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:03 pm
  • Location: Berlin

Re: Blackmagic Cinema Camera Price Reduction

PostSat Aug 03, 2013 2:39 pm

Grant's decision is not black and white. For some people it's GREAT. For others, it will be perceived as gut wrenching.

You can't please all the people all the time. Any attempt to paint it as evil isn't right. How is bringing the art of a cinematographer's down to consumer levels of accessibility in any way evil?

I respect Grant and I think if it wasn't for him we wouldn't have accessible cinematography tools at under $2000 and wouldn't have had our complimentary copies of Resolve or valuable experience grading raw material.

However...

Let's hear some sympathy from Blackmagic people right now on these forums for the customers who got in early and ordered, only to wait patiently for months... Let's hear some sympathy for those early adopters and customers who had their camera delivered only weeks before the price drop, after a long wait. C'mon. Those are your most loyal customers Grant. They trusted your vision way before those sitting on the fence were pushed into action by a big price drop.

Fact is a lot of these people are upset and feel distrustful, and that needs fixing.
British filmmaker and editor of EOSHD
Offline
User avatar

John Bartman

  • Posts: 351
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:15 pm

Re: Blackmagic Cinema Camera Price Reduction

PostSat Aug 03, 2013 2:57 pm

Andrew Reid wrote:
Let's hear some sympathy from Blackmagic people right now on these forums for the customers who got in early and ordered, only to wait patiently for months... Let's hear some sympathy for those early adopters and customers who had their camera delivered only weeks before the price drop, after a long wait. C'mon. Those are your most loyal customers Grant. They trusted your vision way before those sitting on the fence were pushed into action by a big price drop.

Fact is a lot of these people are upset and feel distrustful, and that needs fixing.


Another fair and reasonable comment Andrew,
But i fear it will sadly fall on deaf ears....
Offline
User avatar

John Bartman

  • Posts: 351
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:15 pm

Re: Blackmagic Cinema Camera Price Reduction

PostSat Aug 03, 2013 3:41 pm

Image
Offline
User avatar

Guisphoto

  • Posts: 33
  • Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:17 am

Re: Blackmagic Cinema Camera Price Reduction

PostSat Aug 03, 2013 4:18 pm

I received the camera on monday. One of the first MFT cameras in Spain. I was on holiday so I could not pick it up (also I could not payed it) . I call my distributor and told him that, of course, the price must be the last one. He answered me that they have payed at the first price. I think they have a problem because I am not going to pay 800€ more. This is unacceptable. In the case of the MFT cameras, in Europe all of them arrived last week. This is not a market question, this is not a technology question, this is a respect question. respect for loyal customers who have waited one year for a MFT camera. Do you think we are stupid?, is this the way for paying the patient of your most loyal customers?. this is a shame.
Alberto Ros
http://vimeo.com/guis
Offline

bhook

  • Posts: 1024
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:19 pm

Re: Blackmagic Cinema Camera Price Reduction

PostSat Aug 03, 2013 4:25 pm

I would sure like to know what deal BMD has made with their retailers. Surely they didn't stick them with all of their existing stock at the "old" wholesale price...or did they?
Offline
User avatar

Frank Glencairn

  • Posts: 1658
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:07 am
  • Location: Germany

Re: Blackmagic Cinema Camera Price Reduction

PostSat Aug 03, 2013 5:06 pm

I saw some discounts at German dealers, starting a few weeks ago - at least on the EF version.
Don't know if that has anything to do with it.
http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

I told you so :-)
Offline

Chris Quevedo

  • Posts: 61
  • Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:28 am
  • Location: california

Re: Blackmagic Cinema Camera Price Reduction

PostSat Aug 03, 2013 6:37 pm

Chris Daniel wrote:
Darkfable wrote:One reason could be that the pocket camera pre order is so vast that they are trying to change pre orders into BMCC sales to reduce the pre order que and save face when customers end up waiting another year for their pocket cameras.


well i was 6 weeks in before i pre-ordered. i regret not ordering sooner soooooo bad. i'm just worried that perhaps i'm so far down the que i should just cancel


i should qualify that i'm referring to the BMPCC....
Offline
User avatar

Richard Oakes

  • Posts: 490
  • Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:12 pm

Re: Blackmagic Cinema Camera Price Reduction

PostSat Aug 03, 2013 6:44 pm

Chris Daniel wrote:
Chris Daniel wrote:
Darkfable wrote:One reason could be that the pocket camera pre order is so vast that they are trying to change pre orders into BMCC sales to reduce the pre order que and save face when customers end up waiting another year for their pocket cameras.


well i was 6 weeks in before i pre-ordered. i regret not ordering sooner soooooo bad. i'm just worried that perhaps i'm so far down the que i should just cancel


i should qualify that i'm referring to the BMPCC....



If you can afford the BMCC I would. Luckily I pre ordered in hours of the announcement. But even those who pre ordered on the day might only scrape August. So tho k about how long it will take to fill 6 weeks of pre orders.
Richard Oakes.
Offline

Chris Quevedo

  • Posts: 61
  • Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:28 am
  • Location: california

Re: Blackmagic Cinema Camera Price Reduction

PostSat Aug 03, 2013 6:47 pm

jj tokenslot wrote:
Chris Daniel wrote:ya know, i can tell a lot of people feel "shafted" right now. but honestly, do we really believe that Blackmagic's master plan is to do this sort of thing to mess with us? i mean come on, you guys make it sound like Grant is evil somehow and that he did this to intentionally piss you off.

but seriously now, what evil mastermind comes up with a plan for world domination that involves making less money by selling his product for less. give me a break!

"Mwua-ha-ha-ha!!! From this moment on, people will owe less money to buy my cameras! They won't know what hit 'em!"

shouldn't we be just thanking our lucky stars they didn't INCREASE the price upon realizing how many people want these things? it could easily have been price matched to a Canon C300 ya know, and that thing doesn't shoot anything close to RAW!


i dont think anyone has said that grant or bmd as a whole are evil. This wouldn't be a problem if it weren't for one fact, MOST PEOPLE have only just started to see there pre orders starting to be for filled. in Europe for instance the whole stock situation has only just started to become "normal" with a lot of places still on back order. What there doing isn't legally wrong or "evil" by any means (everyone still has a great value camera which ever the cost you got it at) and many could argue that its not even morally wrong however this whole process has been a massive joke as far as im concerned. To wait on pre order supporting a company through a mass of change and hiccups to then have this after just a month or so after FINALLY receiving the product is just not a very nice way to communicate trust and care to your loyal customer base. Its also all very well people saying "well this just means you can get a second camera for cheaper" I (as with many i suspect) could barely afford the first camera i got.


ok well fair enough. i apologize if any of my statements make it sound like i'm being insensitive to your situation. whenever i look at a situation i always try to see it from the most realistic perspective i can, but that perspective may not always take the sensibilities of others into account.
Offline

Chris Quevedo

  • Posts: 61
  • Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:28 am
  • Location: california

Re: Blackmagic Cinema Camera Price Reduction

PostSat Aug 03, 2013 6:55 pm

i'm gonna start watching Amazon.com like a hawk. not to buy a used one, but to see how long it takes for them to adjust their used prices to reflect the change. i wonder also if all of this negative feelings on this forum means that we can expect the used market of BMCC's to increase or not. :?:
Offline

Dustin Uy

  • Posts: 76
  • Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:59 am

Re: Blackmagic Cinema Camera Price Reduction

PostSun Aug 04, 2013 12:12 am

Andrew Reid wrote:Let's hear some sympathy from Blackmagic people right now on these forums for the customers who got in early and ordered, only to wait patiently for months... Let's hear some sympathy for those early adopters and customers who had their camera delivered only weeks before the price drop, after a long wait. C'mon. Those are your most loyal customers Grant. They trusted your vision way before those sitting on the fence were pushed into action by a big price drop.

Fact is a lot of these people are upset and feel distrustful, and that needs fixing.

thank you.
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cruisen and 28 guests