Audio mixer fading out glitch bug error

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Raysacal

Audio mixer fading out glitch bug error

PostTue Oct 06, 2020 11:51 pm

I don't even know how to search for this or if this is a bug or just a problem of configuration.

While i'm playing any video the Audio Mixer volume just randomly fade out.
When I go back and play the timeline again it doesn't fades on the same place, but do it at any other random point.

It happened with another video source, another project in edit, fusion and fairlight.

I didn't touched anything on my keyboard or my mouse while recording the video below.
Sometimes, I'm working fine on the timeline, Alt+TAB to another application... when I come back, the volume is completely faded.

Please, help!!!!

PC Configuration:
32Gb RAM
1070Ti MSI DUKE 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Coolers everywhere
DaVinci Resolve (Free version) V. 16.2.7.010

Jim Simon

Re: Audio mixer fading out glitch bug error

PostWed Oct 07, 2020 4:22 pm

To clarify, you're hearing the volume fade? You're seeing the fader move on it's own? The mixer levels go down to match, or stay the same?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Raysacal

PostWed Oct 07, 2020 4:40 pm

I both hear the audio muting and see the dial dropping.
When it happens I have to double click the knob than it go back to -10 lvl.
It only happens on the track mixer. The main mixer doesn't move.

The forum doesn't allow me to post the video of it happening but i'm posting a print of the exact moment.
You can see the waveform on the timeline is ok, it was playing normally.

SUDDENLY, the volume knob fades down and I can't hear anything anymore.
If I click and drag the knob back to it's place I can hear again.

You see there's a little icon on the top of the VU, it's like a "minus" and an "Infinit" symbol (like a horizontal number eight). I've searched and found nothing about it on the PDF manual of Davici Resolve

Jim Simon wrote:To clarify, you're hearing the volume fade? You're seeing the fader move on it's own? The mixer levels go down to match, or stay the same?
Attachments
Error image.png
Error screen
Error image.png (689.06 KiB) Viewed 2109 times

Charles Bennett

PostWed Oct 07, 2020 11:12 pm

The audio tracks being a darker green is a clue that they have been modified. It is likely you have added some volume keyframes. Try this as shown in the pics.
Attachments
Keyframe Clip volume1.jpg
Keyframe Clip volume1.jpg (164.19 KiB) Viewed 2108 times
Keyframe Clip volume2.jpg
Keyframe Clip volume2.jpg (101.01 KiB) Viewed 2108 times
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Charles Bennett

PostWed Oct 07, 2020 11:34 pm

If it is not at the clip level, go to the Fairlight page and see if you have added automation there.
Attachments
Keyframe Automation1.jpg
Keyframe Automation1.jpg (315.82 KiB) Viewed 2105 times
Keyframe Automation2.jpg
Keyframe Automation2.jpg (306.89 KiB) Viewed 2105 times
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Charles Bennett

PostWed Oct 07, 2020 11:51 pm

If it's neither of the above then I am at a loss as I have never seen audio fading out by itself.

Raysacal

PostThu Oct 08, 2020 1:28 am

First, thank you so much for your answer...

I work with Premiere Pro for some time, but I'm a newbie at DaVinci Resolve.
I've struggled with this issue since the first lesson of DaVinci Intro course I'm taking.
I've barely touched keyframes at all.

I've looked into the places you told me to and found no keyframe activated (pics attached).
1.png
First step - No active keyframes
1.png (597.13 KiB) Viewed 2097 times

2.png
Second step - No automation on
2.png (274.4 KiB) Viewed 2097 times

I've explored a little the equalization tab on the prints above, but I've seen the same problem if I don't touch it too.
For testing, I've even created a new Project, a new Timeline, touched nothing, not even the volume of the track (the original audio is very low, maybe that was the dark green reason on the other pic). The EQ is untouched, played de track a few times..... And here it is again........

3.png
New project, new timeline, light green track..... still
3.png (282.91 KiB) Viewed 2097 times

(Sorry for any bad english. Not native)

Charles Bennett wrote:The audio tracks being a darker green is a clue that they have been modified. It is likely you have added some volume keyframes. Try this as shown in the pics.

Reynaud Venter

PostThu Oct 08, 2020 6:33 am

Raysacal wrote:I've looked into the places you told me to and found no keyframe activated
With the automation panel open, the automation lane needs to be enabled on the Audio Track to display active automation data.

Confirm that no fader automation is present on the Track.

automation lane.png
automation lane.png (23.34 KiB) Viewed 2078 times

For testing, I've even created a new Project, a new Timeline, touched nothing, not even the volume of the track (the original audio is very low, maybe that was the dark green reason on the other pic). The EQ is untouched, played de track a few times..... And here it is again........
In Resolve's Project Manager, right click the Project and export a Project Archive.

Zip the folder and post a link to the Project to allow confirmation of that behaviour.

Raysacal

PostThu Oct 08, 2020 7:27 pm

No fader lvl keyframes at all. As you can see, the pick below is from other project, other video source.
I don't think this is a keyframe issue because it doesn't happens at the same place, but randomly.
Sometimes I play the entire video and it don't happen.

4.png
No keyframes at all
4.png (274.8 KiB) Viewed 2040 times

Now I think I can post URL. I've uploaded it to Youtube:
Here's a video of it happening two times: at 00:03:36, the second time is at 00:06:13 (the pic above was taken right after the second one).

Reynaud Venter wrote:
Raysacal wrote:I've looked into the places you told me to and found no keyframe activated
With the automation panel open, the automation lane needs to be enabled on the Audio Track to display active automation data.

Confirm that no fader automation is present on the Track.

The attachment automation lane.png is no longer available

In Resolve's Project Manager, right click the Project and export a Project Archive.

Zip the folder and post a link to the Project to allow confirmation of that behaviour.

Reynaud Venter

PostThu Oct 08, 2020 7:44 pm

Raysacal wrote:No fader lvl keyframes at all
Is that behaviour only present within single Track Projects or is it also reproducible with Timelines containing multiple Tracks?

Raysacal

PostThu Oct 08, 2020 8:04 pm

Here it is again!!!

02:02 - It fades out with the playback paused, even before I press play.
06:14 - It fades out by no reason. I open inspector for any doubts about effects or anything. Than I play again the same part and It doesn't fade out anymore.

Raysacal

PostThu Oct 08, 2020 8:09 pm

I haven't worked with multiple tracks yet.
I'll try to record. If it happens too I'll post a video here.

Reynaud Venter wrote:
Raysacal wrote:No fader lvl keyframes at all
Is that behaviour only present within single Track Projects or is it also reproducible with Timelines containing multiple Tracks?

Raysacal

PostTue Oct 13, 2020 3:36 pm

Multiple tracks, only AUDIO 1 track fades for no reason.
The playback was PAUSED. I left my pc for lunch, when I came back, the AUDIO 1 track was faded

5.png
Audio 1 track faded
5.png (244.34 KiB) Viewed 1985 times

Reynaud Venter

PostTue Oct 13, 2020 3:55 pm

Raysacal wrote:Multiple tracks, only AUDIO 1 track fades for no reason
Does writing automation data for A1 with the fader at unity override the fader behaving abnormally?

Raysacal

PostTue Oct 13, 2020 4:12 pm

I have no idea how to do that.
Was I supposed to know how to work with automation data for editing videos on DaVinci or can I assume this is a bug on the software?

Does writing automation data for A1 with the fader at unity override the fader behaving abnormally?

Reynaud Venter

PostTue Oct 13, 2020 4:55 pm

Raysacal wrote:I have no idea how to do that
On the Fairlight page, open the Automation panel and ensure that “Write” is enabled, select “Fader” in the enables section, and ensure that “Hold” is enabled in the “On Stop” section.

On the A1 Audio Track use the automation drop-down and select “Fader Level” and enable the “Auto” button to the right of the drop-down. The Fader automation data curve will be visible in front of the Playhead and will display as a red line (indicating write mode is active) and the A1 fader will toggle to red.

Start the transport and then stop again. Automation data will be written for the entire Track, and the automation data curve will toggle to green (indicating read mode is active) and the A1 fader will toggle to green.

can I assume this is a bug on the software?
As this behaviour is not reproducible on either of my macOS systems, it may be isolated to the Windows platform or it may be a system specific issue.

Raysacal

PostThu Oct 15, 2020 9:49 pm

Case closed!
Apperently it really was a bug on DaVinci.

I've contacted BlackMagic support and the send me the following massage:

Hello, Raysa,
we normally do not provide support other than through the forums to users of the free version of Resolve.
That being said,
can I see the DRP of the project?

Do you see the same behavior if you were to disable the Resolve▸Preferences…▸System▸Control Panels: [] Use Midi Audio Console if that option is set? You will need to save and restart the app.

Regards,
Dmitry Kitsov
Technical Support Agent
Blackmagic Design Inc.

I've followed the steps, have been working with Davici for hours and the bug didn't happen anymore.
I've been struglling with some other bugs and glitches, mainly related to audio, but all other issues go away if I close and reopen the software.
It's a little frustrating, but no one is as near as the fading audio problem. It was making editing impossible.
I really hope BlackMagic fix theese problems because I'm really putting some effort into changing my main video editing software from Premiere to Resolve.

Thanks for everyone that replyed and helped me!

Dmitry Kitsov BMD

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Oct 16, 2020 11:06 pm

Thank you for your feedback, but I would rather protest the notion that there is a bug in Resolve related to this case.
Most likely, there is something on your system that generates MIDI control commands to which Resolve can listen with the setting enabled, and be affected by, as one of the functionalities of the application is the utilization of the third-party MIDI Audio Consoles as described in the manual chapters 152 and 156.
Not a bug, but a MIDI 'cat' sleeping on your keyboard equivalent.

Raysacal wrote:Case closed!
Apperently it really was a bug on DaVinci.

I've contacted Blackmagic support and the send me the following massage:

Hello, Raysa,
we normally do not provide support other than through the forums to users of the free version of Resolve.
That being said,
can I see the DRP of the project?

Do you see the same behavior if you were to disable the Resolve▸Preferences…▸System▸Control Panels: [] Use Midi Audio Console if that option is set? You will need to save and restart the app.

Regards,
Dmitry Kitsov
Technical Support Agent
Blackmagic Design Inc.

I've followed the steps, have been working with Davici for hours and the bug didn't happen anymore.
I've been struglling with some other bugs and glitches, mainly related to audio, but all other issues go away if I close and reopen the software.
It's a little frustrating, but no one is as near as the fading audio problem. It was making editing impossible.
I really hope BlackMagic fix theese problems because I'm really putting some effort into changing my main video editing software from Premiere to Resolve.

Thanks for everyone that replyed and helped me!
Blackmagic Design Sr.Technical Support Engineer

Raysacal

PostFri Oct 16, 2020 11:45 pm

Understood.
For the record: the setup I have is an Arturia KEYLAB61 and a Zoom H4N recorder.

Don't know which one may have caused the problem (probably the Arturia), but one of my first attempts to solve the problem, even before opening this post, was to unplug theese devices.
Even with the interfaces unplugged and rebooting windows the problem just disappeared by turning the option off.
I really don't know what may have happened between them (maybe the interface somehow got stuck on Resolve's memory [really... I have no idea]).

Thank you again for your support.
I'm leaving here most information possible in case anyone go through this anyday.
I really hope this topic help BlackMagic making Resolve even better.

Dmitry Kitsov BMD wrote:Thank you for your feedback, but I would rather protest the notion that there is a bug in Resolve related to this case.
Most likely, there is something on your system that generates MIDI control commands to which Resolve can listen with the setting enabled, and be affected by, as one of the functionalities of the application is the utilization of the third-party MIDI Audio Consoles as described in the manual chapters 152 and 156.
Not a bug, but a MIDI 'cat' sleeping on your keyboard equivalent.
[/quote]

Return to DaVinci Resolve