Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Need to apply a mask to footage to see image underneath

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

noregerts

Need to apply a mask to footage to see image underneath

PostSat Oct 10, 2020 7:46 pm

I'm pretty sure what I'm trying to achieve is not hard but I'm definitely messing up the Node sequence and not getting the desired result.

What I want to do is apply a Polygon Mask to my MediaIn1 so I can see an imported still image through what I've masked out of the original footage. I know I can just mask it out, put an image on the next lowest video channel on the edit page and see it that way, however, I need to animate the image with my tracker info so I need to achieve all of this on the Fusion page.

My Polygon mask is done. My Tracker info is already applied. I just can't see the still image in the cutout I've made in my original footage.

TheBloke

Re: Need to apply a mask to footage to see image underneath

PostMon Oct 12, 2020 1:36 pm

There are some things that can break transparency on Edit, like using Compound Clips. It might be that or it might be one of many other things.

We'll need to see some screenshots to be able to help properly. First show a screenshot of your Fusion nodes, with MediaOut visible in Viewer 2, and MediaIn1 visible in Viewer 1.

Then show a screenshot of Edit, showing the timeline viewer in the place where you're not able to see one layer through the other.
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

Sander de Regt

PostMon Oct 12, 2020 6:37 pm

Also, I don't know if MediaIn nodes support masks in the Fusion page. Personally I would always add for example a matte control with a mask AFTER the MediaIn to make sure there are no compatibility issues.
MediaIns are quite special in that sense.

But I agree with Tom: provide us with some more info and we'll provide you with more assistance :-)
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

noregerts

PostWed Oct 14, 2020 4:35 pm

This first image shows the mask working as it should. It cuts out the image and shows the Solid Color on the video channel below. Unfortunately, I don't want a solid color to fill this space, I want a still image.

One method I tried was substituting an image for the Solid Color on Video 1. The image is then visible but stationary. And the Fusion Tracking info from the item on Video 2, wouldn't copy over.

Then I tried inserting the image into the Fusion workflow in various places but I couldn't get it to fill the mask.

Here is my Fusion page for the video. I've removed all failed attempts and just left what has worked so far.

Return to Fusion