Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Fusion Lagging Incredibly Slow

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

derekirl

Fusion Lagging Incredibly Slow

PostWed Oct 14, 2020 1:29 am

Hi there, I am new to Davinci Resolve, everything is working very smoothly on it except for Fusion clips where even relatively simple clips are taking a very very long time to render on the timeline. I have tried everything I can find online about this, with proxies, optimized media, etc but nothing is improving it. If anyone has advice about this to guide me through it, I would deeply appreciate it as I love the program and don't want to change from it. Here are my brand new PC specs:

Intel Core i7-9700F CPU @ 3GHZ
RAM 16GB

TheBloke

Re: Fusion Lagging Incredibly Slow

PostWed Oct 14, 2020 1:33 pm

What version of Resolve are you running, exactly (check the About screen)?

What GPU do you have?

Do you have the latest GPU drivers installed?

16GB is a little low for Fusion in Resolve (I believe Blackmagic recommend a minimum of 32GB to use Fusion in Resolve), so if there are no other problems we can detect, upgrading to 32GB will likely help some.
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

derekirl

PostWed Oct 14, 2020 5:56 pm

Hi there, I updated to the latest version of DaVinci resolve a few days ago and the GPU drivers were updated last week.

It's NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Super with 6Gb of dedicated memory.

I could easily purchase 32gb of ram which would bring me to 48GM, I just want to make sure that it will significantly increase the performance as I've read some posts that say other factors are more important but it seems like everything else I have has a pretty good spec? Thank you!

Sander de Regt

PostThu Oct 15, 2020 7:40 am

One thing I noticed in your original post is that you never mention what you consider to be relatively simple clips and what you consider to be a long render time. Without actual examples it's hard to tell whether Fusion is slow or if you're being impatient. :P

Fusion was never built or intended to be anywhere close to realtime. It was created for high end visual effects where every pixel had to be perfect and accurate. This was more important than speed in that sense. A title roll in Fusion almost always takes longer than the 'same' title roll in your NLE, because it has a different approach to picture fidelity.

But it can also just be slow ;-)
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

derekirl

PostThu Oct 15, 2020 9:33 pm

Thanks Sander, yes for some of the built-in titles and transitions it take take 1 minute to 90 seconds to rerender when I change a word in it. For some of the more complex fusion clips with 5-7 nodes it can take 3 minutes or so to rerender even with a tiny change. I have tried all of the tips online to reduce this.

From reading online in different forums, it seems it would be a very good investment to move from 16GB of RAM up to at least 32 as this seems to be the mininum for Fusion to run more smoothly. I just wanted to confirm this with both of you before purchasing as I could also invest instead in a second graphics card but my guess is upgrading the RAM to 48 GB in total would be a better investment at this point?

Thanks for your help,

Derek

Return to Fusion