Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

How to add characters without breaking the format

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Kordanor

How to add characters without breaking the format

PostThu Oct 15, 2020 6:47 pm

Hey there,

this seems to be a super trivial question, but Davinci Resolve really doesn't come with a somewhat intuitive interface.

It took me quite a while to make a text with the text node, I enabled modifiers and, changed the text, made multiple adjustments, added new layers and so on.

Then I realized...I need to change the text itself. Problem: As soon as I go over the amount of previous characters, any surplus characters will not have the Format anymore. So if I had the word "Cat" and changed it to "Pig" all would be fine. But as soon as I make it "Pigs" the s would not have the same format anymore.

So now in any other program I would think that it should be easy to just copy paste it. But I dont find a way to copy/paste. Furthermore the undo function doesn't seem to apply for any settings there either.

So...what is the easiest way to...well...add an character and get the same format there?

Sander de Regt

Re: How to add characters without breaking the format

PostThu Oct 15, 2020 9:06 pm

I assume you're talking about CLS/Character Level Styling?

Unfortunately, there is no easy way. Fusion will effectively keep track of changes styles based on character count. So if you change pig to pigS the S will have a different style, as you've already found out.

Depending on the kind of titles you're making, it might even be a good idea to keep a seperate text per styling. Otherwise there is no alternative but having to select the letters you want to change in the viewport and change your settings manually while selected.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Kordanor

PostThu Oct 15, 2020 10:06 pm

So there is not even any way to apply the formatting of the first third letters to the fourth? ^^

That sounds like a pretty big flaw in design to me...

So If I like the other 3 characters, I need to basically screenshot all my settings there and try to replicate it for the fourth...

Thanks for your answer though. At least I know what to do now :(

And going to avoid that feature in the future. Especially when translating text into other languages it sounds like problems are pretty much unavoidable here.

xunile

PostFri Oct 16, 2020 12:21 am

Box Select the character you want to copy the settings from, right-click on the Characterlevelstyling header and choose copy. Then select the new character you added and right-click the parameter you want to change and choose "Paste Setting" or "Paste Group Setting". That should work. If you changed multiple parameters you might have to paste several times.
Attachments
2020-10-15 (1).png
2020-10-15 (1).png (482.23 KiB) Viewed 510 times
2020-10-15 (2).png
2020-10-15 (2).png (480.66 KiB) Viewed 510 times
2020-10-15 (3).png
2020-10-15 (3).png (482.15 KiB) Viewed 510 times
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

Kordanor

PostFri Oct 16, 2020 12:30 am

Not super elegant, but thats something! Thanks! :)

Return to Fusion