Newbie: compatible files between Hyperdeck Mini and Resolve

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

gspam1

Newbie: compatible files between Hyperdeck Mini and Resolve

PostThu Oct 15, 2020 3:00 am

20 hours in and still a fail. I cannot find a compatible format between DaVinci Resolve and the Hyperdeck Mini (HDM) which I just purchased. Using approved SD cards, only trying one test file at a time. Part of my issue is the nomenclature on the Hyperdeck Mini is different than in Resolve, so I can't match any two codec/format choices between the HDM and Resolve with any certainty. Probably not an issue for a pro.

I'm trying to use the Hyperdeck Mini as a playback device for Web-Ex presentations. The short clips being played will have been filmed on people's Apple or Android phones, so MOV or MP4 files. I have the ATEM Mini Pro set to 1080p 30fps, but will change to anything that will work. The ATEM MP sees and controls the Hyperdeck Mini just fine.

My plan, which now appears ridiculous, was to load the movie clips into Resolve and render them in a format that the HDM could play.

Does anyone know of a converter program that will take a mov or mp4 file and convert it to something the HDM can play? Or does anyone know any render settings in Resolve that will work with the HDM? I've tried dozens and dozens of combinations of render settings and HDM recording formats with no luck. Thank you.

ManchesterV

Re: Newbie: compatible files between Hyperdeck Mini and Reso

PostThu Oct 15, 2020 8:28 am

Have a look at these two videos -

gspam1

PostFri Oct 16, 2020 3:58 am

Thank you very much!!! The Doug Johnson video showed that Adobe Premier Pro can save files in a ProRes format that the HyperDeck Mini can read. Time to switch to Premier Pro.

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Oct 16, 2020 4:15 am

ManchesterV wrote:Have a look at these two videos -

I will offer that Resolve can make both DNx and ProRes files that play on the Hyperdeck Mini. Just match the settings in Resolve with files that you record on the Hyperdeck. It is not possible to make H.264 files for the Hyperdeck at this time. Stay safe.

Regards. Gary.
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

gspam1

PostSat Oct 17, 2020 3:36 am

I will offer that Resolve can make both DNx and ProRes files that play on the Hyperdeck Mini. Just match the settings in Resolve with files that you record on the Hyperdeck. It is not possible to make H.264 files for the Hyperdeck at this time. Stay safe.

Regards. Gary.[/quote]

Gary, I cannot find any combination of Resolve rendering settings that will play any file on the Hyperdeck Mini. I understand that if I record from camera directly to the Hyperdeck Mini, as you suggest, that the Hyperdeck will play that file, but I'm working with files given to me by others filmed on an Apple or Android phone or files that I film on Sony cameras outside the studio. In those cases, the files aren't recorded on the HDM. I was hoping it was possible to edit those in Resolve and then export them in a format acceptable to the Hyperdeck Mini for playback. I am using a Windows 10 machine, I should have mentioned that earlier.

Thank you, George

Tony B

PostFri Jan 08, 2021 7:50 pm

Repost from my other threads:

I use Premiere/media encoder. (see attachment) Curious if these settings work with DaVinci
.mov
prores 422

Hyperdeck codec must also be configured (via front panel) to "ProRes"

These setting will allow videos to show up in hyperdeck and playback (stability has been rock solid for years)

***BUT BUT BUT***
you will need to insert a scaler (we use a decimator) between the out of hyperdeck into your ATEM switcher, as it will not recognize the source (using ATEM settings 1080i 59.94) decimator scales to those settings and shows input of 1080p

We spent literally 30 hours of collective time to arrive at this solution. Trial and error, using every render output in premiere.

Hope this helps some of you

render settings for hyperdeck playback.png
render settings for hyperdeck playback.png (23.85 KiB) Viewed 598 times
www.hinckleyproductions.com

Return to Live Production