Eizo ColorEdge CS2740 vs Dell UltraSharp UP2720Q

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

robedge

Eizo ColorEdge CS2740 vs Dell UltraSharp UP2720Q

PostFri Oct 16, 2020 9:46 am

I plan to purchase one of these two monitors, which are both 27" and 3840 x 2160. Looking for comments on either from anyone using one.

I've read all of the reviews, which was easy because there aren't many. There's one review of the Eizo that says that the Eizo and Dell use the same panel, but I haven't seen that repeated elsewhere.

The Eizo is US$1700 and Dell is currently offering the UP2720Q for $1600. The Dell comes with a built-in colorimeter and a hood. If I want to use Calman for Dell software, the app is another $700, which is out of the question for me financially. The Eizo warranty is five years, Dell three years. I might be able to see the Eizo before purchase, but not the Dell.

I intend to use the monitor with Final Cut/DaVinci Resolve and Capture One, splitting the app between this new monitor for the image and an Acer 27" 2560 x 1440 monitor for app controls. No room for a 31" monitor.

Thanks

Eizo CS2740: https://www.eizo.com/products/coloredge/cs2740/

Dell UP2720Q: https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-ul ... ccessories

Andrew Kolakowski

Re: Eizo ColorEdge CS2740 vs Dell UltraSharp UP2720Q

PostFri Oct 16, 2020 4:33 pm

I don't trust Dell. Would still go with Eizo even if Dell may look better "on paper".
Dell is good as office screen :)

John Griffin

PostFri Oct 16, 2020 7:29 pm

I use Dell’s and always have even going back to the days of CRT trinitrons. Why don’t you trust them exactly? The higher end ones with 10bit hardware LUT control are more than adequate for basic grading duties. I have an older UP2718Q which is similar spec and it calibrates nicely using DisplayCal. The good thing with Dell’s is that you can often get massive savings in their outlet stores and I’ve never paid anywhere near full price for either dell laptops or screens. Eizo obviously has a good rep but it’s the higher end models which this mainly applies to. In this segment there’s good choices also from lots of brands.

Chris Leutger

PostFri Oct 16, 2020 8:19 pm

Several years ago I bought an expensive Dell and it had a magenta issue I couldn't figure out and I read that others were having similar issues. I went through two more from B&H before I paid more money for an NEC and never looked back. I'm not saying Dell can't make a good monitor as a lot of people use them successfully in a variety of capacities. But I trust Eizo's QC way more than I would trust Dell's. Every professional photographic print shop I've ever been in (NYC, SF, LA and Vancouver) uses Eizo's. If I could afford one, that would be an easy choice.
Amateur Auteur

AMD 7800X3d 8c 5 GHz - GSkill DDR5-6000 (EXPO) 32x2
Nvidia 1080 Ti 8GB - WD SN850x 2 TB
Resolve 18.5 - Ubuntu 22.04

robedge

PostSat Oct 17, 2020 1:56 am

Thanks very much for the comments. They were a good antidote to my humming and hawing. I’ve had a lower resolution Eizo CG-series monitor for several years. It has stood up and has been very reliable. I’ve decided to stick with the brand. I've arranged to pick up a CS2740 this weekend.
Last edited by robedge on Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSat Oct 17, 2020 10:58 am

John Griffin wrote:I use Dell’s and always have even going back to the days of CRT trinitrons. Why don’t you trust them exactly? The higher end ones with 10bit hardware LUT control are more than adequate for basic grading duties. I have an older UP2718Q which is similar spec and it calibrates nicely using DisplayCal. The good thing with Dell’s is that you can often get massive savings in their outlet stores and I’ve never paid anywhere near full price for either dell laptops or screens. Eizo obviously has a good rep but it’s the higher end models which this mainly applies to. In this segment there’s good choices also from lots of brands.

Eizo is not only about higher end models at all. All their monitors are relatively good.
Dell- hmmm. It's like with PC laptops vs Mac. Eizo is consistent in every aspect, where with Dell you will always find something to be relatively worse than other bit (eg. uniformity).
Dell is much better in "office market". Bought to 2 of them for my gf and for their price they are ok.
Maybe very latest models are better, but somehow I don't believe it :)

John Griffin

PostSat Oct 17, 2020 6:14 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:
John Griffin wrote:I use Dell’s and always have even going back to the days of CRT trinitrons. Why don’t you trust them exactly? The higher end ones with 10bit hardware LUT control are more than adequate for basic grading duties. I have an older UP2718Q which is similar spec and it calibrates nicely using DisplayCal. The good thing with Dell’s is that you can often get massive savings in their outlet stores and I’ve never paid anywhere near full price for either dell laptops or screens. Eizo obviously has a good rep but it’s the higher end models which this mainly applies to. In this segment there’s good choices also from lots of brands.

Eizo is not only about higher end models at all. All their monitors are relatively good.
Dell- hmmm. It's like with PC laptops vs Mac. Eizo is consistent in every aspect, where with Dell you will always find something to be relatively worse than other bit (eg. uniformity).
Dell is much better in "office market". Bought to 2 of them for my gf and for their price they are ok.
Maybe very latest models are better, but somehow I don't believe it :)

This post was about a top end Dell vs low end Ezio and not a general Dell vs Ezio comparison. BTW I’d take my Dell laptop over a Mac laptop anytime (and the cash saving in my bank).

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSat Oct 17, 2020 10:23 pm

Use to be PC only person, but not anymore.
Mac laptops work as whole package with every bit been relatively good (with touchpad (also Retina technology with its scaling) been unmatched by any PC laptop+ goodies of OSX itself). I agree that price is crazy these days (specially in non-US countries).
I've tried 2 Dell XPS laptops and both were sent back (problem with keys, camera, touchpad and dreaded coil noise!). For now I'm fine and won't be changing my private 5 years old Pro 13 inch model. There is simply no need :D I also have newer 15inch for work, but those old ones are more robust.

robedge

PostMon Oct 19, 2020 3:19 pm

A follow-up...

Before going ahead with the 3840x2160 CS2740, I also spoke with B&H and my favourite NY dealer, Foto Care, about the CG279X. The CG279X has lower resolution (2560x1440), and costs more, but there’s an argument for it. Both stores essentially recommended that I purchase the CS2740. Although not central to the decision, the choice was made easier by the fact that I already have an X-Rite i1Display Pro calibrator.

John Griffin

PostMon Oct 19, 2020 5:54 pm

I can't go back to 1440 27" screens as the pixels are too noticeable at viewing distances. Maybe there are reasons for the color being better but the image just looks too digital compared to a 4k screen of the same size. YMMV

robedge

PostWed Oct 21, 2020 10:37 pm

John Griffin wrote:I can't go back to 1440 27" screens as the pixels are too noticeable at viewing distances. Maybe there are reasons for the color being better but the image just looks too digital compared to a 4k screen of the same size. YMMV

I was particularly interested in what Foto Care had to say. In business for 50 years, with a working relationship with some of the most important photographers in the U.S., and the dealer that I purchase cameras from, Foto Care is particularly strong on still photography.

The fellow that I dealt with thinks that 3840x2160 is the way to go even for stills. That view somewhat surprised me. As an Eizo dealer, his view is that there is no meaningful difference in quality of colour, for my needs, between a CS series monitor and a CG series. The CS2740 has presets for Adobe sRGB and Adobe RGB, but it's possible to fine-tune these presets for Rec.709 and P3 if one thinks that's necessary.

As mentioned earlier, I have an older ColorEdge Eizo, 24" 1920x1080, with internal calibration. In other words, in its day top of the line. It still works beautifully, but I have it 3000km/1900 miles away, in another country, and it's not for video. The CS2740 is similar in build quality and layout. It isn't pretty. On the other hand, some months ago I purchased a very sleek, quite expensive, Asus 32" ProArt monitor, glowingly reviewed on the internet, that I wound up returning due to a number of problems before even getting to build quality.

This September 2020 Webinar is worth watching for info on what to look for in a monitor and using one for colour work. The presenter woks for Eizo, but most of what he says is not brand dependent. It's a pretty informative presentation:

Cheers

robedge

PostTue Nov 10, 2020 11:03 pm

I thought that I'd add a comment about this paragraph on Eizo's web site:

"EIZO offers optional HLG and PQ curves for the ColorEdge CS2740 as an upgrade. The optimized gamma curves render images to appear more true to how the human eye perceives the real world compared to SDR.”

B&H's site, in its Qs and As for the monitor, says that this has to be done at the factory and that it voids the warranty. Neither statement is correct. It's done via a download and has no impact on the warranty. There is also no charge for the download. The one limitation is that the standard profile and the optional profile can't be used at the same time. Only one can be installed at once. You can't just switch between them.

robedge

PostSat Nov 28, 2020 7:47 pm

Here are my views on the Eizo after some time with it.

Last year, I purchased an expensive 32" Asus ProArt monitor (PA32UC) that had great reviews. It was good at its primary function, colour accuracy. However, like some reviewers, I had reservations about the build quality. Among other things, there were buttons on it that seemed destined for a short life. Then I found out that Asus's calibration software wouldn't work on MacOS. Asus support is pleasant, but as is typically the case these days, bureaucratic and hierarchical. Support couldn't tell me when, or even if, the absence of MacOS support would be fixed. Although I could live with it, at 3840x2160 there was a scaling/print size issue. Finally, I was getting odd behaviour from some of the menu settings. Asus support decided that the monitor was defective. Luckily, I purchased the monitor locally and was able to return it to the vendor for a full refund. Packing up a 32" monitor and shipping it somewhere would not have been a fun exercise. There's a good chance that I would have been responsible for the shipping cost, too.

The Eizo is also good at colour accuracy. I am not only unconcerned that it's 27" rather than 32", I prefer the smaller size, in part because I'm also using a second monitor. At 3840x2160, I do not have any scaling issues. I have a lot of confidence in the physical design and build quality. In any event, the monitor has a five year warranty. The calibration software - ColorNavigator 7 - works perfectly on my Mac. All of the monitor controls work the way that they are supposed to. E-mail support, which appears to be based in Japan, is knowledgeable (I got clear answers to the issues discussed in the post just above), but can be a bit slow. That said, when I wanted to speak with Eizo U.S., I got to the right person almost immediately.

In other words, I am really happy with this monitor. The one problem for potential buyers, at least in the U.S., is that it is difficult to see Eizo monitors prior to purchase. Few vendors have any on display, and if they have one, the odds are that it won't be the model that you're interested in. I was not able to see the model that I bought, which was launched this year, before purchase. With few exceptions, vendors don't even carry stock. It appears that almost all orders are drop-shipped from Eizo's U.S. office in California. That's how I received mine. Some people, especially people who have never used an Eizo, may see this way of doing business as an impediment to purchasing an Eizo.

robedge

PostMon Nov 30, 2020 2:42 pm

The Eizo monitor and ColorNavigator 7 are currently cleared by Eizo for use with macOS Catalina. Thought I'd mention that I installed Big Sur a few days ago, and both the monitor and ColorNavigator seem to be working fine.

Return to Post Production