Auto Audio Sync not working

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Utapez

Auto Audio Sync not working

PostThu Jan 16, 2020 2:01 am

I have the latest version of DRS 16.1.2 and the auto sync does not function using wave form.
I take a clip shot on my Sony A7iii (audio is 16bit) 23.9 fps, bring it into a bin containing a Zoom audio clip (24 bit), high-lite (choose) both clips right click, choose sync to wave form. No error message, but when I drag the clip to the timeline, the video clip still has the original audio in place and the Zoom audio clip is attached to the tail of the clip. Weird! I just finished syncing 21 interviews manually because I could not get this darn thing to work. Does auto sync waveform in DRS 16.1.2 work for anyone?
Thanks for your help in advance.

Jim Simon

Re: Auto Audio Sync not working

PostThu Jan 16, 2020 7:11 pm

Is the same mic on set feeding both camera and Zoom? I've found Resolve has difficulty syncing a mic feed with nat sound.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Brad Hurley

PostThu Jan 16, 2020 7:15 pm

Did you choose "Auto Sync based on Waveform" or "Auto Sync based on Waveform and Append Tracks?" If you choose the former, the scratch audio in the video clip is replaced with the synced audio. If you choose the latter, the scratch audio is preserved and the synced audio is appended.

Auto-sync by waveform has worked very reliably for me, including in v. 16.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Jim Simon

PostThu Jan 16, 2020 7:22 pm

Brad Hurley wrote: the synced audio is appended.

But normally not at the end of the clip. When working, it's added to the clip in sync with the original as an additional audio track.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Utapez

PostThu Jan 16, 2020 8:14 pm

Thanks for the replies. I chose just auto sync to waveform. I ran a separate mic/recorder, no feed into camera, clapped in. I found it only works if I convert the recorder file to mono before auto sync. I don’t like I have to take this extra step. Not so automatic.

Jim Simon

PostThu Jan 16, 2020 9:43 pm

In the future, the process will likely work better if your camera gets the same feed as your audio device.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

tanami.greg

PostFri Jan 24, 2020 10:11 am

I too have been unable to sync footage using the normal workflow after updating resolve. The footage and audio had been timecoded but each time i selected to sync by timecode nothing would happen. After choosing sync by waveform it would go through the process and have reaching 100% it would come back to say that it hadn't been able to sync any of the clips. I should add that there was a direct feed to camera as well.

I ended up doing it in premiere pro with no issues at all. Something is not right with the latest update.

kortina

PostFri Oct 16, 2020 4:24 am

Trying to sync audio (using Auto Sync Audio Based on Wave Form) for a WAV from a G3 Sennheiser lav with a BRAW containing camera audio and it's not working for me either.

DaVinci Resolve Studio Beta 16.3

Any updates on whether there is a known issue here / or some sort of work around?

Jim Simon

PostFri Oct 16, 2020 3:50 pm

I wouldn't expect that to work for you, Andrew. Lav/boom mics and camera mics often fail in Resolve. They just not similar enough.

You'll have to sync that manually.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Uli Plank

PostSat Oct 17, 2020 3:07 am

Give PluralEyes a try, they have a time-limited, fully functional demo. It has been syncing waveforms for me which DR didn't.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Ryan Scott

PostMon Oct 19, 2020 8:37 pm

This isn't working for me either. Both timecode and waveform syncing don't work. Having the same issue as the OP when I choose to append the audio - it is added before the clip and in-camera audio(so in the timeline it's my boom audio followed by my video clip and it's in-camera audio below it).

Alexa Mini with a feed going into the camera. Slated. Timecode. Should easily be syncing. Very frustrating.

Resolve 16.2.7.010

DWaldorf

PostFri Apr 02, 2021 9:24 am

For me audio sync wav works between camera recording and separate sound on MixPre3 recorder but it fails when using Ninja V and MixPre3 wav sync. Has anybody figured out a fix? Thanks!

leodsouza

PostMon May 17, 2021 3:08 pm

Even I am having issues Auto Audio Sync based on Wave.

Video and audio recorded from different camera but audio is the same. So extracted the audio from one camera 1 then tried the audio with Camera 2 but i get a message no audio to sync.

I suspect there is a bug BMD Engineers should investigate.

Regards
Leo DSouza
Resolve 17.3.1 Build 5
ASUSTeK COMPUTER PRIME B450M-A
AMD Ryzen 3 1200 Quad-Core Processor
DDR4 - 48 GB
NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 4GB
POP_OS 20.04 LTS

Rohit Singhal

Blackmagic Design

PostThu May 20, 2021 9:55 am

Can you send us an example of the clips which are unable to sync audio for you? You can pm me if you like.
Rohit Singhal
DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

venison

PostWed Oct 06, 2021 4:25 pm

I am having a similar issue. I drag a video clip that has audio to the timeline and add the corresponding audio clip beneath it. Right-click, auto-align, based on waveform just moves the audio clip to the start of the video clip but it does not sync waveforms. Am I doing something wrong or is this feature not working?

--DaVinci Resolve Studio Version 18
--macOS Monterey Version 12.3.1
--Apple M1 16GB RAM
--Samsung T5 SSD Drive for DaVinci Resolve project files and cache

CtheProducer

PostThu Nov 25, 2021 5:16 am

I seem to be running into a problem with this as well. It was working like a charm before, even with a little Nat / boom sound involved. Things that used to sync are no longer syncing, in-fact, nothing syncs for me unless I use the sync bin. Then it syncs using the same audio......

Studio 17.4.2 build 9

Return to DaVinci Resolve