Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Rectangle and Ellipse Mask Anchor Points

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Derek Howard

Rectangle and Ellipse Mask Anchor Points

PostFri Oct 16, 2020 7:47 pm

I love the controls that come with the default rectangle and ellipse masks.

However, there are many times where I want to do something like animating the width of a rectangle, but I need it to start from somewhere other than the center of the shape. I've looked everywhere and I can't see any way to change the anchor point of the mask.

Is this just a limitation of Fusion or am I missing something?

Sander de Regt

Re: Rectangle and Ellipse Mask Anchor Points

PostFri Oct 16, 2020 8:20 pm

You're not missing anything. This is a limitation of Fusion at this point in time.

You could give the macro at this link a try. I don't know if it works with masks, but it does work with images.

https://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckl ... 263#p25263
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Derek Howard

PostFri Oct 16, 2020 9:02 pm

I was afraid of that. But I really appreciate the link. I'll look into the Marco. Thanks!

TheBloke

PostSat Oct 17, 2020 9:12 am

I recently tried Nuke for the first time, and one of the small things I liked was that with the Rectangle I had the option to expand any edge independently, or adjust from the centre by holding a modifier. It achieves this by defining the rectangle with four numbers, defining the X,Y coordinates of its bottom-left and top-right points.

Anyway, an alternative in Fusion would be to create a Polygon node, then with the Polygon selected, right-click in the Viewer and at the bottom of the context menu expand "Polygon1:Polyline" and choose Create -> Rectangle.

You'll get a popup in which you can specify the size in Fusion's usual 0-1 scale:

You can use that to define its size, or just click OK on the defaults and alter it later.

Now you have a standard Polygon defining a perfect rectangle. It defaults to animated, so remember it'll add its first keyframe on whatever frame you're on when you create it. You can now select any two points in the viewer to move any edge independently.

Or, for more precise control, select all points and Publish them (available in the right-click Context menu, and as an icon in the Polygon viewer menu), which will give you four X/Y co-ordinates in the Polygon node which you can use modifiers on, Connect To things, or just see for reference as to what area your rectangular polygon is defining. With the points published like this, the Polygon is defined in a similar way to Nuke's rectangle - albeit using twice as many data points to do it.

Polygon defining a rectangle with its four points Published:
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

Return to Fusion