Choppy Video

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

carlosclarkmd

Choppy Video

PostFri Oct 16, 2020 8:12 pm

When I drag my video into my timeline from the preview area on top it becomes choppy. Plays smooth in the preview pane on top then choppy when it gets into my timeline. I've already tried the optimize and media render cash settings to DNXhr SQ, background cache to 1 sec, generate optimized media, Playback settings to user and Use optimized media if available is checked. I have a new, powerful computer and graphics card. I'm using Davinci Resolve 15.3 on a PC. Any ideas? Thank you in advance. :)
UPDATE** Just upgraded to Resolve 16 Studio (was going to upgrade regardless).. Same issue.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Choppy Video

PostSat Oct 17, 2020 5:33 am

Is there a different clip VS timeline frame rate?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

carlosclarkmd

PostSat Oct 17, 2020 2:13 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Is there a different clip VS timeline frame rate?

All the clips are the same resolution/frame rate. The particular clips causing the problem are close ups of a building taken by a drone. That's the only difference that I can tell. Note that watching the MP4 in any media player or even in the preview pane in Davinci are fine. It only becomes choppy when I drag it into my timeline for editing.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Oct 17, 2020 4:08 pm

What is the frame rate of the timeline.
Are the drone shots the only ones on that codec type.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

carlosclarkmd

PostSat Oct 17, 2020 4:19 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:What is the frame rate of the timeline.
Are the drone shots the only ones on that codec type.

They are at 29 fps. I have some DJI osmo footage at 60 fps that seemed to do fine. This is a new problem as I've used the same footage for an earlier project and it did fine in the time line and rendered product. This is something that's different or not correct within Davinci when footage is moved to the timeline area. Again, works fine in the preview area. Thanks for everyone's suggestions. 8-)

carlosclarkmd

PostSat Oct 17, 2020 6:09 pm

carlosclarkmd wrote:When I drag my video into my timeline from the preview area on top it becomes choppy. Plays smooth in the preview pane on top then choppy when it gets into my timeline. I've already tried the optimize and media render cash settings to DNXhr SQ, background cache to 1 sec, generate optimized media, Playback settings to user and Use optimized media if available is checked. I have a new, powerful computer and graphics card. I'm using Davinci Resolve 15.3 on a PC. Any ideas? Thank you in advance. :)
UPDATE** Just upgraded to Resolve 16 Studio (was going to upgrade regardless).. Same issue.

**RESOLVED**
I found the problem.. Upon looking closer, my DJI Osmo footage was a little choppy as well it just wasn't as recognizable as it was inside footage. I was using 30 and 60 FPS footage but my master settings in Davinci for Timeline and Video monitoring was set to 24fps. Once I bumped that up to match the FPS and resolution of my initial footage the lag and choppy outcomes seem to have resolved.

Uli Plank

PostSun Oct 18, 2020 3:26 am

Some drones don't record in a constant frame rate. Please check with MediaInfo.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Yasir Salah

PostSun Oct 18, 2020 4:40 am

Carlos
makes sure few things are in order, are your original media files on the PC or on an external, and are you saving to external?

Also, are you checking in the Project Settings, make sure they match your clips frame rate.
Shift+9 opens your project settings

Then Alt+N create new timeline, use custom setting, make sure everything matches, and yes check all your clips.
When you playback in a smaller window vs full display do you get the same choppiness, you can try it after you go through your settings.

I hope this helps.

Yasir
Attachments
New_Timline_Check_Box.png
From this box you can see under video you frame settings, and can change here.
New_Timline_Check_Box.png (152.92 KiB) Viewed 1007 times
Shift_9 for Project settings.png
Here scroll down you can check your playback speed as well, and other settings
Shift_9 for Project settings.png (311.54 KiB) Viewed 1007 times

Return to DaVinci Resolve