BMPCC 4K camera i/o ports

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

Story is everything

BMPCC 4K camera i/o ports

PostSat Oct 17, 2020 4:06 pm

Hi hello to all,

I am in process of a DIY project for building a Film digitizer. I have had acceptable results from the prototype setup with an older Nikon stills camera. I like to replace that Nikon camera with a BMPCC 4k to take advantage of better color sciences of the PockeCam4K and Resolve combined.
Currently on that old Nikon camera I am using the remote control infrared signal to initiate each capture - frame by frame. We all know that stills images out of Pocket 4K are simply magical and with 4K resolution I have more than enough deep pixels to work with for the film digitizing. But here is the question:

Are there any external ways of initiating a stills image capture with Pocket 4K ala old fashion infrared remote controls ?

Jim Simon

Re: BMPCC 4K camera i/o ports

PostMon Oct 26, 2020 4:31 pm

This might be better asked in the Cinematography forum.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Story is everything

PostMon Oct 26, 2020 10:24 pm

I was hoping to get a reply from the hardware/ firmware people around here. I cannot imagine any cinematographer being interested in digital and analog signals coming out of i/o ports of BMPCC 4K.
I have an appointment with an electronic engineer to run a few specific tests

Denny Smith

PostWed Nov 11, 2020 7:11 am

The answer to your question of remote stills single frame capture is No. The Piocket 4K does not have IR remote built in, and Bluetooth remote using a smart phone only starts/stop video recording.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Off-Topic