'Media Offline' timeline problem.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Brian Dick

'Media Offline' timeline problem.

PostWed Oct 14, 2020 10:52 am

A small number of graphics on my timeline (Resolve Studio 16) have started to suddenly become offline place holders (red, with 'Media Offline' on them) and relinking or replacing doesn't solve the issue. Reducing the size of the project has made no difference, nor has renaming these graphics in Photoshop, but changing them in Photoshop from .png to jpeg seems to be working. Uncompressed .png files would be my preference so they can be tweaked in Photoshop. Any thoughts gratefully welcome. (Although Marc Dejonghe posted a similar problem a while ago it wasn't quite the same).

Nigel Scott

Re: 'Media Offline' timeline problem.

PostWed Oct 14, 2020 12:47 pm

Not an answer I know but I have not had any media off line problems since I upgraded my GPU and added another SSD disc to hold my working media.
MacBook Pro M1
16gb Memory

Windows 10 64-bit
Intel Core i5-4690K CPU @ 3.5 GHz, 32.0GB RAM, NIVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER
DaVinci Resolve Studio Version 18.5 Public Beta

Brian Dick

PostThu Oct 15, 2020 1:46 pm

Thanks. Yes, an SSD with upgraded NVIDIA GeForce is probably the way to go. For now I've used workarounds and all's well 'til the next time . . .

philhzss

PostSat Oct 17, 2020 4:10 am

I'm also experience this issue since a short while (was not having this problem before).

Oddly enough the only way to fix it is to disable hardware accelerated H.264/H.265 decoding in the preferences. I know H.264/H.265 aren't editing codecs but I never had this issue before and now some files are randomly saying "media offline" when they aren't, unless I disable GPU acceleration... I suppose it's a bug.

Turning off acceleration makes everything way slower but at least I don't have the media offline issue

Brian Dick

PostSun Oct 18, 2020 11:04 am

Thanks for that. I've disabled as you suggest and it'll take effect next time Resolve loads up. Not having the offline problem at the moment.

Tom Watson

PostSun Oct 18, 2020 4:28 pm

I have had this happen on large projects when the clip cache filled-up the 1TB SSD that I use for cache. I simply deleted ALL Cache and then re-linked the clips.
Resolve Studio 16, Windows 10 Pro, i9 9940X, MSI X299 Carbon MB, EVGA RTX 2080, 128GB (4x16)Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200, Decklink mini 4K GH5 camera, S1H camera

philhzss

PostSun Oct 18, 2020 5:03 pm

Tom Watson wrote:I have had this happen on large projects when the clip cache filled-up the 1TB SSD that I use for cache. I simply deleted ALL Cache and then re-linked the clips.

Thats interesting. Do you mean like the "optimized media" and the "Fusion Cache" things? Either way though my caching SSD is more than 75% empty so I doubt that's it in my case.. but thank you!

Return to DaVinci Resolve