Anyway to import Matroska .mkv files?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Pixelslayer

Anyway to import Matroska .mkv files?

PostSun Oct 18, 2020 12:49 pm

For some lame-brained reason OBS defaults to the .mkv format when recording video, so I now have a couple of hours of footage in a few .mkv files. Is there any way to load these files into DaVinci Resolve?

I suspect I'm going to have to use something like Handbrake to transcode them into something usable. A possible further complication is that I was trying to capture them with an H.265 hardware encoder. Not sure if Handbrake can handle that...

jmorby

Re: Anyway to import Matroska .mkv files?

PostSun Oct 18, 2020 12:52 pm

OBS has a remix function built in (Files -> Remix recordings) that does this for you automatically

Or you can just change the default output format (subject to caveats it warns you about when you change the default setting)

No need for handbrake / etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lover of film, IT geek, editor, creator and sailor
Using Davinci Resolve Studio (Licensed)

Uli Plank

PostSun Oct 18, 2020 2:30 pm

Don't recompress with Handbrake, just re-wrap into .MOV or .MXF. A program like Shutter Encoder can do that.
It's a pretty fast process if your source and destination are on different media, preferably SSD.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Jim Simon

PostSun Oct 18, 2020 3:22 pm

I always recommend hardware recorders for screen capture you intend to edit. They typically offer editing friendly options like DNx and ProRes, whereas software normally doesn't.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... ideoassist
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Uli Plank

PostSun Oct 18, 2020 3:27 pm

OBS does, you just need to choose it. Planning of your workflow should be the start of your project, not recording.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Pixelslayer

PostSun Oct 18, 2020 7:51 pm

jmorby wrote:OBS has a remix function built in (Files -> Remix recordings) that does this for you automatically

Or you can just change the default output format (subject to caveats it warns you about when you change the default setting)

No need for handbrake / etc
Thanks for this, you probably just saved me a few hours of transcoding. I've remuxed video before with FFmpeg but it was rather difficult getting the syntax just right.

I'm new to this, so I'm still making noob mistakes, and likely will for a while...

Uli Plank

PostMon Oct 19, 2020 1:48 am

That's why I suggested Shutter Encoder, it's actually just a front-end for ffMPEG, but a nice one.

aussiemartin

PostMon Oct 19, 2020 3:02 am

oh cool - thanks for the tip on Shutter Encoder - will come in handy
macOS 12.2.1, 3.7GHz Intel Core i7, 64G DDR4 Ram, Radeon 8G RX580 GPU, 250/500Gb SSD storage, Synology 920+ 8T NAS

Mel Matsuoka

PostMon Oct 19, 2020 6:22 pm

Just an aside that Shutter Encoder is an absolutely amazing, and underrated app. It can also do Cinedeck style insertions into existing Quicktime masters (I really wish Resolve could do this, natively), as well as auto detect “Media Offline” screens in masters for all the major NLEs. It has an ugly-AF UI, but it’s quickly become one of my go to Swiss-army knife utility apps for post-production.
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 12.5.1, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

Return to DaVinci Resolve