Massive Audio Drift Issues - ATEM Mini Pro

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Luc Laflamme

Re: Massive Audio Drift Issues - ATEM Mini Pro

PostSat Oct 17, 2020 8:19 pm

Has I said I a recent post on this thread, we had a very very bad "audio drift / out-of-sync / robotic sounding" early this month on a classical concert livestream gig.

This ATEM mini pro issue actually made me lose the contract money, and lose the client.

Firewire 8.5 did not fix the issue. The similarities between people's story here are very obvious.

I will try to reproduce the problem tomorrow at home because I have three Livestreams , (concerts and conferences) at the end of the week and I cannot that a chance with a faulty piece of hardware.

I will post the result's of this test here later this week. But let me just say that I am extremely disappointed at Blackmagic for not thoroughly acknowledging the problem.

-L
Cinematographer - Producer
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU
64 Gig Ram DDR4
GeForce GTX 3080 12GB
ROG PG279Q
Focusrite Scarlett
Running on Windows 11

santiagopilgrim

PostSun Oct 18, 2020 7:07 pm

Is anyone experiencing this issue using a USB-C to USB-C cable? In other words connecting the ATEM to the computer using USB-C rather than USB 3.0?

The latest update fixed my ATEM on my laptop and home computer, but my third machine in the office experienced the problem. The only difference was it was plugged in using a USB-C to USB 3.0 cable.

I am doing some testing now to explore the issue further.

Steve Kanefsky

PostSun Oct 18, 2020 7:12 pm

USB-C is a type of connector and you can have a USB 2.0 connection or a USB 3.0 connection regardless of whether you're using a USB-C to USB-A cable or a USB-C to USB-C cable.

In my case I was getting USB 2.0 (480Mbps) using a USB-C to USB-C cable and when I moved the cable to a different port on my computer the connection switched to USB 3.0 (5Gbps). That didn't solve my problems using QuickTime to record the webcam output of the ATEM however.

santiagopilgrim

PostSun Oct 18, 2020 9:42 pm

Steve Kanefsky wrote:USB-C is a type of connector and you can have a USB 2.0 connection or a USB 3.0 connection regardless of whether you're using a USB-C to USB-A cable or a USB-C to USB-C cable.

In my case I was getting USB 2.0 (480Mbps) using a USB-C to USB-C cable and when I moved the cable to a different port on my computer the connection switched to USB 3.0 (5Gbps). That didn't solve my problems using QuickTime to record the webcam output of the ATEM however.

You are right, I should have been more specific. I'm plugging it into my USB-C port on my RTX2080i GPU, and on my laptop into the USB-C port of my XPS 9550, I think both would be USB 3.1 gen 1 or even gen 2. I would try USB 3.1 and see what happens!

Steve Kanefsky

PostSun Oct 18, 2020 10:17 pm

All my ports are USB 3.1 gen 2 but the connection speed I got was different on different ports, probably because of other devices that were on the same bus. It's kind of complicated since you can have multiple ports per USB bus and multiple USB buses per port :). In the end I just had to check in software to see what speed the ATEM was connecting at, but as I said it didn't help in my situation anyway. I no longer even bother connecting the ATEM to my computer via USB. I use ethernet for control, a separate encoder for my webcam, and I only use the USB port to attach SSD drives directly to the ATEM for ISO recording.

Aaron Brown

PostTue Oct 20, 2020 6:14 am

I am posting just to add MORE to this list of frustrated people on here trying to use a professional "piece" of equipment and having it fall short of expectations. Using it like most on here, through Zoom. And trying like hell to figure out what was going on when people were saying (after about 2 hours, over a few days with a few 2-hour intervals), that audio was out of sync, our mic had to be muted because of crazy sounds or echos...etc. And I couldn't figure out what the problem was until I ran a sync test this eve and somewhere around 2 hours (likely 1:50 based on all accounts here), the zoom audio was 5 seconds out of sync (audio was behind video). On slightly older mac from mid-2015 running Sierra (2.8Ghz i7, 16gb Ram, AMD Radeon R9 & Intel Iris Pro 1536). So not the current fastest, but its clean and runs smooth and was barely breaking a sweat on the zoom stream. This is a very frustrating situation, like many, because this is a paid job that is to last for the next two months! I have had the ATEM for like 10 days! Not sure how long it will stay, but a huge disappointment on Blackmagic peeps for not having fixed this issue yet (and the firmware was updated the moment I plugged it in the first time)! So, yeah.....NOT HAPPY!

------EDIT-------
So, turns out my Atem FW was NOT updated to 8.5! When I plugged it in the first time, it asked to update and I said yes (this was like 10 days ago). Well, I guess it didn't actually do it! But I saw when I just randomly decided to check! So, updated (and confirmed), and updated the mac to Mojave (was on High Sierra because of certain programs and stability I liked)! Ran a LONG test last night (3.5 hrs), and client gig today (almost 5 hrs)! Both were good! On the test, I did nothing to mitigate any problems (like randomly switch audio inputs...etc), but in the client one today, there were many opportunities to do that and so I did. No idea if it helped, but I did not have any problems.

The older UltraStudio Mini OTOH with Zoom? Ayyyyy, MANY issues! :roll:

dalebraithwait

PostFri Oct 23, 2020 10:05 am

v8.5 has certainly improved things, but it isn't fixed.

I was on a 45 min event after the update, and started getting approx 1s latency in Channel 1. I switched cameras, and moved back to CH1, and the latency disappeared.

After the event, I tested it, and after a while it came back. I had to do a full reboot this time to fix it. Yesterday, I used it for home working for 3 are without issue, then it came back. But this time, switching channels sorted it out again.

Very odd behaviour, but it really needs fixing.

James_Anderson

PostTue Oct 27, 2020 5:30 am

Is anyone else still experiencing this issue. I've upgraded to latest software, firmware and latest version of zoom and still experiencing this issue.

I've just spoken to Black Magic in AU who believed the issue had been resolved, but were going to do some more testing. They also stated they through the problem was with zoom, not with them. :-(

Would love to hear if anyone has found a successful fix for this.

I'm on a new macbook pro.

dave.j

PostTue Oct 27, 2020 7:02 am

James_Anderson wrote:Is anyone else still experiencing this issue. I've upgraded to latest software, firmware and latest version of zoom and still experiencing this issue.

I've just spoken to Black Magic in AU who believed the issue had been resolved, but were going to do some more testing. They also stated they through the problem was with zoom, not with them. :-(

James...there are several posts earlier in this discussion since 8.5 firmware that are still experiencing it.
I also found Blackmagic’s assertion that it has been fixed since 8.5, despite multiple posts on their own forum from people stating otherwise, really frustrating.

My ‘fix’ was to get a refund from the retailer.

After months of testing & investing hours of my time troubleshooting I decided to abandon live streaming with the ATEM Mini Pro. Despite 8.5 seeming to resolve the audio issues on my specific setup with a 2014 MacBook Pro, as soon as I upgrade my laptop or attempt to use the ATEM with another computer there is potential for the issues to occur...until Blackmagic have conclusively fixed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aaron Brown

PostTue Oct 27, 2020 10:22 pm

Totally agree. I am having mixed results in my upgraded setup, and managing it with switching audio sources (and my scenario is lucky enough that I can go long stretches without needing to output audio). But for sure, its still something to watch. I lost video the other day in Zoom (hadn't seen that before). I swapped to other cam sources and they were there, but not the ATEM. Reboot brought it back.

dave.j wrote:
James_Anderson wrote:Is anyone else still experiencing this issue. I've upgraded to latest software, firmware and latest version of zoom and still experiencing this issue.

James...there are several posts earlier in this discussion since 8.5 firmware that are still experiencing it.
I also found Blackmagic’s assertion that it has been fixed since 8.5, despite multiple posts on their own forum from people stating otherwise, really frustrating.

My ‘fix’ was to get a refund from the retailer.

After months of testing & investing hours of my time troubleshooting I decided to abandon live streaming with the ATEM Mini Pro. Despite 8.5 seeming to resolve the audio issues on my specific setup with a 2014 MacBook Pro, as soon as I upgrade my laptop or attempt to use the ATEM with another computer there is potential for the issues to occur...until Blackmagic have conclusively fixed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve Kanefsky

PostWed Oct 28, 2020 1:55 am

The ATEM Switchers 8.5.1 Update is out as of today, so people still experiencing the drift issue might want to check and see if this update fixes anything.

Aaron Brown

PostWed Oct 28, 2020 2:32 am

Gosh...I am tempted to try 8.5.1, but I am in the middle of daily streaming until early December, so I might wait (unless things go haywire)!

AveaMedia

PostFri Oct 30, 2020 1:30 pm

I've had same sync issues with Atem mini pro firmware 8.5.

Firmware version 8.5.2 was released today and I've been running test with it for several hours now. Setup has been up for almost 4 hrs and zoom-stream has been active for ~3hrs and no sync issues thus far.

In current setup I have mic connected to camera. Video and sound from camera is sent via sdi cable through sdi-hdmi converter to atem. This looks promising - I'll let it run for one more hour.

Next I will test mic connected to atem's mic port directly. But I don't expect there issues if current setup works ok. I'll post my findings later...:)

dalebraithwait

PostMon Nov 02, 2020 11:00 pm

Still having issues with 8.5.1. It seems to be Ok with only one input. As soon as we add multiple cameras, we eventually get the problem. We know it is the ATEM as the latency is the same on all inputs, and happens suddenly. If we add a camera directly the computer, it is fine. Only the ATEM has the video latency. It wouldn’t be so bad if the audio mic inputs were also impacted, but I they aren’t.

I haven’t checked if the HDMI audio is impacted, as we take audio for a mixer into mic input 1

I think 8.5.2 only fixes the SD card issue, so I will update, but I’m not expecting it to fix anything.

dalebraithwait

PostWed Nov 04, 2020 1:45 pm

Curtis Campsall wrote:Is this strictly a streaming problem? If being used for program production for later uploads is there any sync issues with USB disk recording or hdmi output?

Yes - it is the same when just monitoring or recording on a mac using OBS or mimoLive. I haven't checked the HDMI out, as this would narrow it down to the ATEM mini itself vs the webcam input into the computer.

Andreas T.

PostTue Dec 15, 2020 4:07 pm

Hi

Extreme newbie here. I may be having a similar if not the same issue, sync issues in Zoom when using my Item Mini Pro. Is that still what we're talking about here?

Andreas

Vpilatesmtl

PostWed Dec 16, 2020 12:19 am

Hi!
I am a fitness instructor using Atem mini pro for live classes. I have a 2 sec video delay in my zoom ? When I test the video and sound in the Atem preview I still have a tiny video delay, but really barely noticeable. When on zoom it’s at least 2 sec. What can I do?

My setup:MacBook Pro late 2012
Cam : iPhone XS plugged in adaptor and in cam 1 on Atem mini
Mic plugged in mic 1 port on atem
Music plugged in mic 2 port on Atem
Atem plunged in via USB cable to my Mac

Thank you all for your help, I have been struggling with audio/vidéo sync ever since I got the Atem mini pro, and it’s just insane That we pay so much money for this and it’s not working top notch...

Michael_Andreas

PostWed Dec 16, 2020 3:24 am

Andreas T. wrote:Hi

Extreme newbie here. I may be having a similar if not the same issue, sync issues in Zoom when using my Item Mini Pro. Is that still what we're talking about here?

Andreas

If it's a sync between the audio input to the ATEM Mini Mic input Vs the video and it's a constant offset with the audio leading the video, then there's a setting in the control software to offset.

If it's a drifting problem, then update to the latest ATEM firmware and try again.

Aaron Brown

PostWed Dec 16, 2020 4:58 pm

I had to downgrade from 8.5.2 to 8.5.1 because I started having HDMI source issues (a laptop wasn't showing up any longer). Went to 8.5.1 and it worked again! Super weird. Audio drift seems ok in 8.5.1, but this was a little discouraging.

Andreas T.

PostThu Dec 17, 2020 7:54 pm

Michael_Andreas wrote:
Andreas T. wrote:Hi

Andreas

If it's a sync between the audio input to the ATEM Mini Mic input Vs the video and it's a constant offset with the audio leading the video, then there's a setting in the control software to offset.

If it's a drifting problem, then update to the latest ATEM firmware and try again.

No. I understand and am using the audio delay function in the software. It's all good coming out of the Atem. It's in Zoom that the sync issue occurs. No problem with Skype. Just Zoom.

Joel__B

PostSun Jan 17, 2021 12:41 pm

Hi everyone, thanks for this thread.

I have the same issue with ATEM mini pro ISO, which feeds:
- HDMI output to a monitor
- Usb-C output to MacBook Pro

On the MacbookPro:
- Black Magic Webcam into OBS
- Black Magic audio interface audio source into OBS

When I ran this live on Friday, I had no problems.
When I ran this live today, there was a significant lag between the audio and video coming from the Atem over usb. This delay was more than was correctable with the frame offset in the Atem control software.
And I did not see this lag over the HD monitor - only over the usb / webcam link.

The only difference between my set up Friday (worked) and today (audio video out of sync) was the USB cable I used between the Atem and by macbookpro.

On Friday I used a short Apple branded thunderbolt-capable usb c to usb c cable. (I know atem is not thunderbolt, I’m just describing this as a higher quality cable, likely usb 3.0) - Search Amazon for Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) Cable (0.8 m)

Today I used a longer Anker usb c to usb c cable, which I believe is only USB 2.0 - search Amazon for
USB C Cable 100W 6ft, Anker Powerline III USB C to USB C Charger Cable 2.0,

I will do some more testing this afternoon if I get a chance.

Have others seen a difference with cables like this?
And have others still seen the problem when using a decent usb 3.0 cable?

Regardless, what is really annoying is that the audio and video can get out of sync when coming over the same cable from the Atem. This is really disconcerting. I would prefer the connection to not work at all, or the quality to drop but for audio to stay in sync with video, than for the two sources to detach like this.

Thanks!
Joel

santiagopilgrim

PostTue Jan 19, 2021 7:02 pm

Joel__B wrote:Hi everyone, thanks for this thread.

I have the same issue with ATEM mini pro ISO, which feeds:
- HDMI output to a monitor
- Usb-C output to MacBook Pro

On the MacbookPro:
- Black Magic Webcam into OBS
- Black Magic audio interface audio source into OBS

When I ran this live on Friday, I had no problems.
When I ran this live today, there was a significant lag between the audio and video coming from the Atem over usb. This delay was more than was correctable with the frame offset in the Atem control software.
And I did not see this lag over the HD monitor - only over the usb / webcam link.

The only difference between my set up Friday (worked) and today (audio video out of sync) was the USB cable I used between the Atem and by macbookpro.

On Friday I used a short Apple branded thunderbolt-capable usb c to usb c cable. (I know atem is not thunderbolt, I’m just describing this as a higher quality cable, likely usb 3.0) - Search Amazon for Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) Cable (0.8 m)

Today I used a longer Anker usb c to usb c cable, which I believe is only USB 2.0 - search Amazon for
USB C Cable 100W 6ft, Anker Powerline III USB C to USB C Charger Cable 2.0,

I will do some more testing this afternoon if I get a chance.

Have others seen a difference with cables like this?
And have others still seen the problem when using a decent usb 3.0 cable?

Regardless, what is really annoying is that the audio and video can get out of sync when coming over the same cable from the Atem. This is really disconcerting. I would prefer the connection to not work at all, or the quality to drop but for audio to stay in sync with video, than for the two sources to detach like this.

Thanks!
Joel

The problems typically described in this thread are not correctable using the audio drift function, they are delays of almost 2 seconds if not more.

eliabe

PostTue Feb 16, 2021 3:17 pm

buy one of these:
Creative-Labs-70SB173000000-Sound-Blaster

Boooom problem solved

Canyons wrote:FWIW, that is the same setup we have for our signing service using ATEM Mini Pro running 8.4:

Started 2 weeks ago making that the third time the setup has been used. Only difference I can think of is the PC generated inset (via spliter) comes from a 150' fiber cable (HDMI 1), camera is A5100 (60 fps = out) on 10' HDMI cable (HDMI 2). Audio (Mic 1) and Ethernet are bundled with the fiber cable (so also ~150' each).

Now that I think about it, we have another setup that is the same as well, just running at 30 fps and no fiber.

I have had reports from some Live Stream viewers seeing that same 1 - 2 second delay, and I've seen it too on videos on youtube that are not ours. What I see and hear are not repeatable, and goes away with browser / player refresh. Its never in the recording.

I am now starting to record the events on USB drive, so far not seen anything. Other than settings and recording, I'm not using the USB. I have a parallel setup to that one running the audio into the XLR on the camera (panasonic 24 fps - out) going into HDMI 2.

HTH

victorytabernacle wrote:I have experienced audio drift for as long as I've had my ATEM mini. I have used two completely different PC's. The most recent being a Dell i7 with 16GB ram. I have gone through two different software packages OBS and XSplit for live streaming. The audio is behind the video about 1-2 frames per second every 5 minutes and that continues to drift the longer the stream. This issue occurs when you use video from the HDMI ports and audio from the mic inputs. My mic 1 input is coming from a Allen and Heath QU-16 digital mixer. Some posts I have read just HDMI for both audio and video. I'm not convinced that is an accurate test for this issue. I'm seeing it when video is from HDMI and audio is from mic 1. I have upgraded the firm along the way and now at 8.4. After hundreds of test and many, many combinations of settings, I was able to fix the issue by eliminating the mic 1 input and plugging it directly into the mic input on the PC and keeping the video from the ATEM USB connection. This eliminated the audio from the ATEM USB connection. I've been looking at everything including the audio sampling rate. Are there any settings or other places I could check? For example, USB output settings from the ATEM, device driver settings on the PC USB driver or the windows USB settings? I'm going to be running my stream with my band-aid fix until I get a concrete solution. It either has to be an issue with the audio and video coming from the ATEM via the USB or a setting on the USB driver, etc that is causing the issue. Any thoughts are appreciated. I've gotten, what I think, are useless suggestions from support asking me to try yet a third PC or third software package. When you completely replace a component with an entirely new or different solution, then in my mind that eliminates those pieces from the equation. It seems to be narrowed down to the combined USB from the ATEM or the audio processing from the USB audio on the PC side.

ianw01

PostFri Mar 05, 2021 5:52 pm

I just helped a user with a new M1 Mac. They had huge video delay (1-2sec) in the USB feed, even right after a power cycle (so technically not a drift issue per OP).

The ATEM Mini appeared as two camera choices in Zoom: 30Hz and 60Hz. Switching from 60Hz to 30Hz solved it completely.

NickHarrison

PostThu Sep 30, 2021 12:27 pm

I'll chime in to say I've been having these issues for 18 months now, with audio slowly drifting away from the video on Zoom, both on my PC and 2019 MacBook (and tested on another 5 Mac's through this time). I teach full time and have recently past 250 days in lockdown - I use the setup constantly and it's a huge pain.

I've spent so much time trying to troubleshoot this issue - numerous hours every week since it started...

Originally I purchased an ATEM mini with a Canon 7Dmark 2 - had this issue.
Upgraded to an ATEM mini Pro with a Canon 5Dmark 4 - had this issue, got a refund on the ATEM.
Brought an ATEM mini Extreme ISO and a Black Magic 6KPro purely to try solve that issue - which I currently use - same issue with the audo eventually seperating from the video during almost every Zoom call.

I've used around 25 different USB C cables - mostly mac cables, several of the Samsung solid-state drive cables etc. I have a pro version of Zoom and tested mostly with that but plenty with the free version. I've spent time trying all the frame rates, doesn't solve the issue.

Every day I spend time thinking and testing ways to solve it. Last year I spent a month holding frozen peas under my ATEM mini Pro (seriously!) whilst teaching classes and that has so far been the only thing I've managed to do that has had any effect on the issue.

I've use a 200Mbps download, 30Mbps upload wired internet connection.

My laptop cam is always perfectly in sync with minimal latency - even when the ATEM video is lagging like 5 seconds behind its audio, switch to the webcam and it's perfectly in sync...

I'm planning to send the 6KPro and ATEM mini Extreme ISO switcher back for a refund - my only use case for the units is for Zoom. If the issue is that Zoom can't handle the ATEM switchers,

If anyone hears of a solution to massive video drift off the audio in Zoom - please let me know. I'd happily spend another $1000 if that's what it takes to fix this issue, but also willing to switch to a different system if people have found that's the only solution.

dave.j

PostThu Sep 30, 2021 2:02 pm

Nick,
I totally get your frustration, I tried resolving it for 6 months...had the first ATEM Mini Pro replaced, then eventually got a refund, did so many tests...gave up in the end, not worth the hassle.
I haven't tried the Yolobox Pro unit but seen some good reviews...I think that would be your simplest option, get something else.

Dave

NickHarrison wrote:I'll chime in to say I've been having these issues for 18 months now, with audio slowly drifting away from the video on Zoom, both on my PC and 2019 MacBook (and tested on another 5 Mac's through this time). I teach full time and have recently past 250 days in lockdown - I use the setup constantly and it's a huge pain.

I've spent so much time trying to troubleshoot this issue - numerous hours every week since it started...

Originally I purchased an ATEM mini with a Canon 7Dmark 2 - had this issue.
Upgraded to an ATEM mini Pro with a Canon 5Dmark 4 - had this issue, got a refund on the ATEM.
Brought an ATEM mini Extreme ISO and a Black Magic 6KPro purely to try solve that issue - which I currently use - same issue with the audo eventually seperating from the video during almost every Zoom call.

I've used around 25 different USB C cables - mostly mac cables, several of the Samsung solid-state drive cables etc. I have a pro version of Zoom and tested mostly with that but plenty with the free version. I've spent time trying all the frame rates, doesn't solve the issue.

Every day I spend time thinking and testing ways to solve it. Last year I spent a month holding frozen peas under my ATEM mini Pro (seriously!) whilst teaching classes and that has so far been the only thing I've managed to do that has had any effect on the issue.

I've use a 200Mbps download, 30Mbps upload wired internet connection.

My laptop cam is always perfectly in sync with minimal latency - even when the ATEM video is lagging like 5 seconds behind its audio, switch to the webcam and it's perfectly in sync...

I'm planning to send the 6KPro and ATEM mini Extreme ISO switcher back for a refund - my only use case for the units is for Zoom. If the issue is that Zoom can't handle the ATEM switchers,

If anyone hears of a solution to massive video drift off the audio in Zoom - please let me know. I'd happily spend another $1000 if that's what it takes to fix this issue, but also willing to switch to a different system if people have found that's the only solution.

nims94

PostMon Nov 01, 2021 9:37 pm

For those still having issues with this the only fix iv been able to get success with is by routing the audio separately. I got it going through OBS and then using virtual cables to get it to zoom or webx that way you can still control any delay adjustments.

I was having issues around the 1h 40m of being live where I would get clicking and then suddenly it would go static for about 60s and then be massively delayed. Tried all sorts of options never assuming it was the device but after reading this forum I'm happy to say it is the device. I even downgraded the video to 720p and routed audio all through OBS thinking it was zoom or webx that was being overloaded. But noticed when I screen-shared streamyard into these platforms there was no delay. So I was certain the feed coming in from Atem Mini Pro was causing the issue after noticing this. But also be mindful of where you are plugging in the USB-C cable coming from the Atem. Not all ports on your PC or even adaptors for Mac are able to handle the signal from the Atem and that will only add to the issue.

Also another tip, I have a sound mixer (SoundCraft Ui12) which sends one output to my PC for the stream seperate to Atem and another output to a camera which feeds audio through the Atem or evening using the Audio channel on the Atem, That way if I needed to I can still run audio from the Atem eg.Audio Follow Video or if i need to run any sort of back up audio I don't have routed through the sound mixer, I still have back up. I can easily switch these on and off with the remote access that Soundcraft provides with their Ui series. Just need to switch the inputs on the stream platform or on OBS.

Can be a bit confusing but happy to discuss what worked for me with anyone! But might be easier to take the device back and try a different mixer :lol: I hope their other products arn't like this!

Norm Clare

PostThu Apr 28, 2022 12:58 am

Someone told me that if you select the 30p rather than the 60p source in zoom this fixes the issue.
Previous

Return to Live Production