Disable ATEM Software Control for Pocket 4K?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

MrHotter

Disable ATEM Software Control for Pocket 4K?

PostFri Oct 16, 2020 7:13 pm

I'm sure this is a dumb question, but I've not been able to find the answer yet.

Short question: Can I disable the ATEM camera controls for my Pocket 4K from the ATEM software or from the camera?

Longer version:
I was working with a team on a live production, and I had my camera set up the way I wanted. As soon as I was plugged into the ATEM Mini Pro, my settings were all off. Luckily this was a tech rehearsal, so the person on the ATEM adjusted my settings. My shutter speed was locked into the ATEM settings, but that's fine as long as the ATEM operator knows what he wants.

A couple weeks later, I'm setting up another stream (this time with my own ATEM) and when I connected my ATEM to the moderator's laptop my settings were changed again. This time, the laptop had the ATEM software control installed, but it was not running. The laptop was manned by a Zoom moderator, who had no idea what to do with the ATEM software.

If this is just how the software/hardware is set up, I'll just be sure to make time to adjust the camera after hooking up to the ATEM. I was not able to find anything in the documentation that would lead me to believe that I can turn off camera control in the software or on the camera. Did I miss something simple?
Mac mini
Apple M1 chip with 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, and 16-core Neural Engine
16GB unified memory
512GB internal SSD storage
various external drives

Mark Foster

Re: Disable ATEM Software Control for Pocket 4K?

PostFri Oct 16, 2020 7:22 pm

switch the input to other as blackmagic

page 81 in the manual
cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

Olaf at BMForum

PostSat Oct 17, 2020 10:11 pm

Use a repeater in the Hdmi chain - it will cut camera controls or alternatively just long HDMI cables.
Not that it is intended to do so, but BM’s HDMI camera control is extremely fragile

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Steve Kanefsky

PostMon Oct 19, 2020 6:52 am

Mark Foster wrote:switch the input to other as blackmagic

page 81 in the manual

It's under Preferences -> Mapping if you don't feel like looking it up in the manual (it's page 82 of my copy of the manual and it's not very clear about how it relates to camera control). When you change the value in the "Camera" column to "None" the whole panel for controlling the camera disappears. I was trying to verify that this prevents it from resetting the camera settings, except naturally this time I couldn't get it to reset the settings even when I left the setting at "Blackmagic" and restarted everything.

Another weird thing is that I could change my Cameras #1-3 to None and disable camera control, but it wouldn't let me change the 4th input with nothing connected to it to None.

One big advantage of this approach versus using an HDMI splitter or repeater is that it can still trigger BMPCC cameras to record and send the appropriate filename, timecode, and other metadata to the cameras even after you've disabled camera control.

Mark Foster

PostThu Oct 22, 2020 11:37 am

ok, prefs does not do anything, but . . .

here a solution to be able to record in prores and no control
when the pocket is attached to your atem mini ;- )

IMG_6222.jpg
IMG_6222.jpg (284.11 KiB) Viewed 934 times
cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

Olaf at BMForum

PostSat Oct 24, 2020 11:09 pm

page 81 in the manual[/quote]

One big advantage of this approach versus using an HDMI splitter or repeater is that it can still trigger BMPCC cameras to record and send the appropriate filename, timecode, and other metadata to the cameras even after you've disabled camera control.[/quote]

Hello Steve,
concider this if you are working BM Pockets only.

In case of a mixed cam shoot e.g. 2 Pockets and 2 GH5S with internal recording in each of them, you need to use external timecode to sync them in post again, because the non-Pockets have to be started manually.
And the ATEM is a beast - killing that timecode in the Pockets.

AND

if the ATEM drops out or stops reacting during a session and you have to unpower it and reload the settings ... you are happy if your cams just continue recording.

Return to Live Production