Automatic playback - Hyperdeck Studio Mini

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

DuncanBass

Automatic playback - Hyperdeck Studio Mini

PostFri Oct 16, 2020 9:41 pm

Hi all,

I'm a collections manager for an arts foundation and I'm new to the board.

I recently encountered a refurbished video artwork that uses a Blackmagic Hyperdeck Studio Mini as the primary playback equipment for the video in question. When we received the artwork the piece would automatically begin playback when it received power (literally plug and play). However, I recently removed the SD card to create a backup of the video file, and after reinstalling the SD card everything powers on normally, but instead of triggering an automatic playback, I now have to press play to initiate a looping playback. After consulting the manual, I can't find any information on plug-and-play settings for the Hyperdeck Mini--any advice on how to recreate this scenario when the artwork receives power would be greatly appreciated! Also happy to provide any additional details.

Thanks,
Duncan

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: Automatic playback - Hyperdeck Studio Mini

PostSun Oct 18, 2020 6:31 am

The HyperDeck units support an Ethernet control protocol for remote control over a local area network. One of the commands in this protocol is "play on startup" which can be used to enable or disable automatic playback of video clips when the deck powers on. There are also some sub-settings related to the "play on startup" command that can be configured via the Ethernet control protocol (such as whether to play a single clip or all clips).

So I suppose that it is possible that this "play on startup" setting got changed or reset somehow. I'm not sure that it is possible to configure this through the front-panel menus on the HyperDeck, but it should be possible to re-enable this setting through the Ethernet control protocol, if necessary.

You will need to have a computer connected to the same local network as the HyperDeck in order to use the Ethernet control protocol. Then you can use some kind of telnet client (such as PuTTY) to connect to the deck and type in commands. The command format is documented starting on page 66 of the HyperDeck manual:
https://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/ ... 5983610000

DuncanBass

Re: Automatic playback - Hyperdeck Studio Mini

PostMon Oct 19, 2020 2:26 pm

Thanks for the info, Dave!

This is helpful and answers some of the other questions I had regarding the internal wiring of the artwork in question (there's an ethernet hub that doesn't seem to be doing anything, clearly to access this limited local network).

I'll try to address this today with the Ethernet control protocol.

Thanks again!

Return to Live Production