Fuscript Quit Unexpectedly

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

AlDavis

Fuscript Quit Unexpectedly

PostFri Oct 16, 2020 5:33 pm

I run an iMac using OS 10.13.6, and use Davinci Resolve 16 (no upgrade -- just 16.0.0)

The other day, I tried opening Davinci Resolve and it stalled on "LOADING FAIRLIGHT PAGE", and gave me the warning "fuscript quit unexpectedly".

I've NEVER had any trouble with Davinci Resolve before, and I can't seem to find anything online.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd certainly appreciate the help.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Fuscript Quit Unexpectedly

PostFri Oct 16, 2020 6:04 pm

Try turning off your firewall, if it's on, to see if that might be blocking fuscript. Disconnect from the Internet first.

If that doesn't help, then assuming you are not using the Apple App store version of Resolve, in Finder, go to /Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve and run CaptureLogs.

Send us the file it creates on your desktop.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

AlDavis

PostFri Oct 16, 2020 8:46 pm

Hi Dwaine,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

I tried turning off the Firewall and running Davinci Resolve to no avail. Same problem.

I couldn't figure out how to follow your next instructions (running CaptureLogs) as there was no "DaVinci Resolve" folder in my Application Support folder (or was I supposed to do that in Terminal?).

I clicked on the "Report" button on the message that pops up saying that "Fuscript Quit Unexpectedly". I've included a screen shot of the first bit of that report.

I hope this helps.
Last edited by AlDavis on Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Oct 16, 2020 10:16 pm

You need to go to /Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve

CaptureLogs_Location_In_Finder.png
CaptureLogs_Location_In_Finder.png (381.38 KiB) Viewed 1713 times
Dwaine Maggart

AlDavis

PostFri Oct 16, 2020 11:23 pm

When I go into my Library folder, I can find the Application Support folder, but there is no Blackmagic Design folder inside of that.

When I do a search, the only Blackmagic Design folder that is anywhere on my iMac is at:
/library/Containers/com.blackmagic-design.DaVinciResolveLite/Data/Documents/Blackmagic Design

Inside of THAT Blackmagic Design folder is a Fusion folder which contains two other folders (Default AutoSaves and Queue) and they are both empty.

Looking at your attachment photo, I even tried doing a search for "CaptureLogs.App" and I can't find that either.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Oct 17, 2020 5:30 am

And you’re definitely selecting Library from Macintosh HD?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

AlDavis

PostSat Oct 17, 2020 5:54 am

I'm absolutely sure that I'm looking in the right area.

Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/ ...
... but there is no folder in there called "Davinci Resolve" or anything that is remotely close to that.

I'm really stumped!

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Oct 17, 2020 5:01 pm

You are looking for the Blackmagic Design folder first, not the DaVinci Resolve folder.

If you don't see the Blackmagic Design folder in /Library/Application Support, that would imply you are running the Apple App Store version of Resolve. Is that possible?
Dwaine Maggart

AlDavis

PostSat Oct 17, 2020 7:11 pm

Actually, I didn't even know the App Store HAD its own version of Davinci Resolve! I don't think I've ever boughten anything from the App Store for my Mac!

I downloaded my version of Davinci Resolve from the BlackMagic website.

You might not believe this, but I teach a videography class (high school), and we exclusively use Davinci Resolve, but strictly as end-users. I'm absolutely lost when it comes to anything technical when it comes to its software framework!

I'm guessing that some files must have accidentally gotten wiped off my computer, but I don't see how that would even be possible as I'm the only one who uses it.

If I have to end up uninstalling it and then reinstalling again, is there any way I can keep my work? (I'm guessing that that is going to be my only option). That being said, perhaps it's time that I just buy the full version. In that case, same question.

Much appreciation for all of your help with this!

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Oct 17, 2020 7:20 pm

Send a screen shot of your /Library/Application Support folder.

In the Finder View menu, make sure "Show Path Bar" is selected. If it is, you should see the "Hide Path Bar" menu in the View menus.

A normal reinstall of Resolve will not affect your user settings or project data.

If you don't still have the 16.0.0 installer, and you really want to stay on that version, you can download it from the BMD Support site, DaVinci Resolve and Fusion section.

If you are using the free version, make sure you don't download an installer with Studio in the name,
Dwaine Maggart

AlDavis

PostSun Oct 18, 2020 1:31 am

Here is the screenshot of my Application Support folder:
Last edited by AlDavis on Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostSun Oct 18, 2020 1:47 am

Well, that's very weird.

If Resolve 16 was the first version you ever installed on the system, then your project data might still be OK.

If you had Resolve 15 or earlier installed on the system, before 16.0, then the project data would likely be in the default Disk database, that is in /Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve/Resolve Disk Database. And if the Blackmagic Design folder is gone, that data is gone.

But, if 16.0 was the first version installed on this system, then the default Disk database would be in a user specific path:

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve/Resolve Disk Database

where username is the Mac user name you are logged in as.

If you have that Resolve Disk Database folder, then the rest of the path below that would be: Resolve Projects/Users/guest/Projects. If you see folders in the Projects folder, those would be your projects. If you do have those, I'd suggest you make a copy of the Users/guest/Projects folder for safe keeping.

You can try installing Resolve again, and see what happens.
Dwaine Maggart

AlDavis

PostSun Oct 18, 2020 3:15 am

Hi Dwaine,

When I go into my username folder, there isn't a "Library" folder in there either. When I do a FIND search [command+F], and search for "Library", it doesn't appear.

I also have an app called "EasyFind" (with a squirrel icon), and it confirms that the "Library" folder in my username folder DOES exist, but when I physically go into my username folder, it's not to be found.

Could it be that I have some sort of setting that is making folders invisible on my Mac?

I'm really at a loss as to what is happening.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostSun Oct 18, 2020 5:31 am

Yes, it's a hidden folder.

There is a Terminal level thing you can type to have Finder always show hidden files/folders.

But on High Sierra and Mojave, these keystrokes, with a Finder window open, should show you hidden files/folders:

⌘ shift dot
Dwaine Maggart

AlDavis

PostSun Oct 18, 2020 7:56 pm

When I press "⌘ shift dot", I still can't find the files and folders that seem to be missing.

Am I correct in assuming that I must have some sort of virus on my computer? Is that why I'm unable to find these files and pathways?

I realize that this is where it falls away from being a Davinci Resolve problem, but can you suggest a course of action?

AlDavis

PostMon Oct 19, 2020 12:29 am

BACK IN THE LAND OF THE LIVING!!!

Hey Dwaine,

I spoke with Apple Care (who were equally stumped), and they suggested that I upgrade to 10.14.6 Mojave.

I did that, and during the setup for the new OS, it asked if I wanted to upgrade to DaVinci Resolve 16.2.7, which I did. That has gotten me back into full operational mode again.

BUT ...

When I go to Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support, there is STILL no BlackMagic folder.

Strange!

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Oct 19, 2020 6:41 am

If the OS asked you to upgrade Resolve, then almost certainly you are using the Apple App Store version.

Which would explain why you don't see the folder.

Send a Resolve diagnostics log, generated from the Resolve Help menu, and I can confirm.
Dwaine Maggart

AlDavis

PostTue Oct 20, 2020 9:29 am

Hi Dwaine,

Here is the diagnostic report. I certainly remember installing DaVinci Resolve on all of the iMacs in my classroom from the BlackMagic website. I guess I must have installed my version from the Apple App Store, but I rarely use that service, so I assumed that I installed my version from the BlackMagic website as well.

Is there any difference between the App Store version and the BlackMagic website version?
Last edited by AlDavis on Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Oct 20, 2020 4:39 pm

Yes, you are using the App store version.

Yes, there are differences. Due to Apple App Store sandboxing policies, there are some things the App store version doesn't support that the BMD version does.

Whether those differences will affect you, I can't say.

One obvious difference is that logs are not in an easy to access location, making startup troubleshooting difficult, as we've just experienced.

Advanced and Avid Artist panels are not supported in the App store version.

OFX and VST plugins that are not Apple sandbox compliant won’t work.

App store version can't install PostgreSQL and does not come with the Project Server app. Would only matter if you wanted to work with PostgreSQL files locally. App store version can connect to remote PostgreSQL servers on other systems.

There are never any beta versions on the App store. So if you wanted to use the current 16.3 beta 3 Studio software, for support of the new BMD 12K camera, you couldn't.
Dwaine Maggart

AlDavis

PostWed Oct 21, 2020 12:07 am

Would there be anything stopping me from deleting the App Store version of Davinci Resolve, and downloading/installing 16.2.7 from the BlackMagic website?

Would I lose all of my projects if I did that? Is there any way to save them?

Any chance you could send me a link to download 16.2.7? Is there a fast way to upgrade to the non-freeware version once I have the BlackMagic 16.2.7 freeware installed? (... or is that another uninstall/reinstall procedure?).

Grateful thanks to you, oh Great Dwaine DaVinci Guru!

Finally ... I can SEE!

P.S. What is the point of Apple having their own version?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Oct 21, 2020 5:56 am

You don't need to delete the App store version. Because it's sandboxed, it does not conflict with with the BMD version. But if you wanted to delete it, you'd just delete the DaVinci Resolve Studio.app or the DaVinci Resolve.app file from the Applications folder. Those are the App store versions.

The BMD version creates a DaVinci Resolve FOLDER in Applications, and lives in that folder.

But I would suggest just leaving the App store version. Because...

The Resolve project data for the App store version, because it's sandboxed, does NOT show up in the BMD version. You would want to do a database Backup from the App Store version and Restore that backup into the BMD version, as the easiest way to get all your projects copied over. Or, if you just had a few projects you cared about, you could make project export .drp files in the App store version and Import those into the BMD version.

The downloads for all Resolve versions from 10.1.5 to the most current 16.3b3, all live on the BMD Support page, in the DaVinci Resolve area:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/suppor ... and-fusion

The versions labeled Studio are the paid versions that require a license. Either a dongle or activation code.

The versions without Studio in the name, are the free versions.

Apple doesn't have their own version. We have placed Resolve on the App Store.
Dwaine Maggart

AlDavis

PostWed Oct 21, 2020 8:12 am

Just to confirm ...

Do I download the DaVinci Resolve 16 file (posted on 09 Aug 2019), and THEN download last month's 16.2.7 update?

Thanks, Dwaine, for all of your help in this. You are truly a credit to BlackMagic Design.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Oct 21, 2020 4:16 pm

No, just download and install the version you want.

All the downloads are stand alone installers, not dependent on previous versions being installed.
Dwaine Maggart

Return to DaVinci Resolve