ATEM v8.1.2 settings now do not persist across power cycles

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Joshua Szanto

ATEM v8.1.2 settings now do not persist across power cycles

PostSun Apr 05, 2020 1:18 am

Hello!

Equipment: ATEM Television Studio HD

We recently upgraded from firmware version 7.2 to 8.1.2 and are now finding that configuration settings are not persisting through power cycles. Every time we power up the equipment we are now having to go to File > Restore in ATEM Software Control and restore from a saved settings file. We have tried the "Save Startup State" button but it does not seem to work?

Larry_KHCC

Re: ATEM v8.1.2 settings now do not persist across power cyc

PostMon Apr 06, 2020 7:16 am

Wondering about if this is global or a one off.

Satureyes

PostMon Apr 06, 2020 9:21 am

Joshua Szanto wrote:Hello!

Equipment: ATEM Television Studio HD

We recently upgraded from firmware version 7.2 to 8.1.2 and are now finding that configuration settings are not persisting through power cycles. Every time we power up the equipment we are now having to go to File > Restore in ATEM Software Control and restore from a saved settings file. We have tried the "Save Startup State" button but it does not seem to work?
Yup. Annoying !

DanielVideo

PostSat Apr 18, 2020 10:20 pm

Same problem here, with the Atem TVS HD. Settings are lost after reboot.

To test, I downgraded to v7.5.2. Then I tried to set input labels, and then reboot switcher. That is working normal. Uploading stills to media storage also working normal (stills are remembered after reboot).
Then I updated to v8.2.1 (but the problem started a few versions ago, i don't know which exact one).
After updating, the labels en media pool are te same, as it was before updating.
But, when I edit a input label, and then reboot switcher, that input label gets reset to (for example): "Camera 1" and "CAM1". Only the editted labels gets reset to this default values on reboot. If I click "Reset" at the labels, and type new labels and save. Then all labels are reset after reboot switcher.
New uploads to media pool are also not remembered. Only uploads from before update, are still there. The new uploads are gone after reboot.
Someone at BM accidentally changed filesystem of TVS HD to read-only? Or something like that? ;)
I hope it can be fixed... Very frustrating to set labels on every start.
Daniël Haarsma
ATEM 2 M/E Constellation HD | ATEM SDI Extreme ISO | ATEM TVS | Decklink cards (...)

James Hood

PostWed Jun 17, 2020 3:08 am

DanielVideo wrote:Same problem here, with the Atem TVS HD. Settings are lost after reboot. ... Very frustrating to set labels on every start.

Same issue here on ATEM Mini Pro. Saving startup state stores program/preview/etc., but labels won't persist. I'm not going to test my TVS HD just yet, but I suspect it isn't saving labels because I know it isn't saving media with the recent versions of ATEM Software.

Denny Smith

PostWed Jun 17, 2020 5:00 am

Just heard from BMD, the Mini and Mini Pro do not save Media Pool, so doubt labels are saved either. Anyway sent info about a Startup state loss to BM D Program Manager. Thus may be a bug in FW 8.2.1.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Denny Smith

PostWed Jun 17, 2020 4:02 pm

Heard back from BMD, Tim Shumann, FW 8.2.1 and later has a bug, which changed key label and Media pool file saving on larger ATEMs. He recommended tolling back to 8.1.0 before label file changed occurred. He added BMD is aware of this issue, FW changes moving slow with everyone working from home. Not sure when this will get corrected. This applies to regular ATEMs, not the Mini or Mini Pro
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

nkosonido

PostSun Aug 09, 2020 10:21 pm

HI folks!.. I´ve the same issue in Atem Studio HD. Does anybody knows if the las version (8.4 at 9AGO2020) fix this problem? I dont actualize this equipment every time... cause always is something missing.
Thanks a lot.

jrankin

PostWed Oct 21, 2020 6:24 pm

Thankfully I found this, I'm on 8.4 (Studio HD) and been wondering why settings/media were not being saved. Does anyone know if 8.5 helps? I'm not near the unit now but will make the trip if it fixes this problem.

Oh Reginald

PostThu Oct 22, 2020 12:31 am

I have been having this problem with a TVS HD and 8.5 did not help unfortunately.

Then again, I've tried multiple pre-8.2.1 versions that also did not help so your mileage may vary.

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Oct 22, 2020 2:35 pm

Hello Everyone. Please install 7.5.2 on the Television Studio models to be able to save settings and media. Stay safe.

Regards. Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

jrankin

PostTue Nov 03, 2020 2:27 pm

Any clue on when this might be fixed, it has been an issue for months now? Downgrading by multiple versions never seems right.

gartom

PostTue Dec 15, 2020 12:07 am

Gary Adams wrote:Hello Everyone. Please install 7.5.2 on the Television Studio models to be able to save settings and media. Stay safe.

Regards. Gary

Is there a detailed list of fixes from 7.5.2 to latest FW for the ATEM Television Studio models so we can make a fact based decision if it is better to stay on latest FW or downgrading?

Also, when is this issue planned to be fixed on main release branch for Television Studio models?

Calwalker1

PostWed Dec 16, 2020 5:02 am

Gary Adams wrote:Hello Everyone. Please install 7.5.2 on the Television Studio models to be able to save settings and media. Stay safe.

Regards. Gary

Hi Gary,
I've just come across this forum post due to having the same issue. Is there any update on this? I am running 8.1.1. I will attempt to roll to 7.5.2 but this is a little annoying to have no info about when this will be resolved. Cheers.
Cal

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Dec 16, 2020 3:51 pm

Hello Cal. We have no further information on this. Stay safe.

Regards Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

gartom

PostThu Dec 17, 2020 8:02 am

I can confirm that a rollback to v7.5.2 FW from v8.1.1. on our ATEM TVS HD fixed the issue with settings to be saved and be persistent across power cycles.

The rollback itself was a bit scary though. I first unistalled ATEM Software Control v8.5.3 (this version is using FW v8.1.1) from the Mac we have been using to controll the ATEM. I then installed v7.5.2 and started to do the update over Ethernet. Everything went fine up to ~70% of the update, then the software on the Mac threw an error message "Update failed!" and there was no way to get it running again as the ATEM could no longer be found on the network. The display on the ATEM showed a freezed picture with the text "Update". I don't know how it looked before the failure as I didn't look then.

When the Ethernet update failed, I connected a USB cable from the ATEM to a Windows 10 machine. At first, I didn't pull the plug from the ATEM as it never feels safe to do this when an update is ongoing, but as the update could not continue over Ethernet and nothing happened when connecting to USB, I had to pull the plug.

When the ATEM started up again, the boot code of the system started up the ATEM in reprogramming mode and the "ATEM System Update" software on the PC managed to get the ATEM up and running again, and now the saved settings are retained across power cycles.

michael.arman

PostWed Jan 06, 2021 10:27 pm

Hi, I've been having this very problem. I tried downgrading to 7.5.2, but that did not fix anything. When Install ATEM software 7.5.2, ATEM Setup still says the switcher is on 7.5.1. Is there another version that installs the correct firmware on the switcher. It it an absolute pain that the labels don't save on power cycle, very frustrating!

jrankin

PostWed Feb 17, 2021 8:19 pm

V8.6 now released, no updates or fixes for TVS products again. Do BMD only care about the Mini products now ?

gartom

PostSat Mar 13, 2021 10:05 pm

michael.arman wrote:Hi, I've been having this very problem. I tried downgrading to 7.5.2, but that did not fix anything. When Install ATEM software 7.5.2, ATEM Setup still says the switcher is on 7.5.1. Is there another version that installs the correct firmware on the switcher. It it an absolute pain that the labels don't save on power cycle, very frustrating!

Strange. As mentioned above, this downgrade solved the issue for me. I don't know if ATEM SW Control 7.5.2 actually have FW version 7.5.2 (even if I wrote that in my earlier post). I can check next time I have access to the switcher.

Have you tried do do a "factory reset" of the switcher (using the function "Clear startup state") to see if the settings gets initialized in a way that it solves the issue?

Charles Papert

PostTue Apr 13, 2021 8:16 pm

Hiya: Been using an ATEM Television Studio HD and an ATEM mini, switching between them with the same desktop software. Had been on 8.5.3. I just started experiencing the issue noted in this thread with the Studio HD where the startup state reverted to default after power cycle and I'd have to restore from backup each time. The Mini was unaffected. I can revert to 7.5.2 as recommended here but will that control the Mini...? thinking that was from before the Mini was released? It's just strange that this issue has only started in last couple of weeks with no other change to the software.

AVsupport

PostWed May 12, 2021 12:29 pm

This seems to be persistent on the Mini. Needs a fix, this is annoying

TomPWilson

PostWed May 12, 2021 9:57 pm

I'm also seeing this. I recently updated two switchers to the latest firmware (8.6.1), and I'm seeing this on both devices. I have the ATEM TV Studio HD.

Note that the Media Pool is also getting lost, although the IP address and macros seem to be saved.

I tried "Clear Startup State" and even went so far as to do a recovery setup (hold Set while powering up the unit)

I'm going to have to roll back to an older FW version to see if this fixes the problem...

** update: 7.x works. 8.6.1 does not.

Rolling back to the 7.x version did allow the settings to persist again. After power cycling the switch, media pool and other settings stayed the way I set them. So I updated back to 8.6.1, and none of the settings persist across a power cycle.

Interestingly, SOME settings do persist: the selected program and preview inputs stay set (when using "Save Startup State"), as do the IP address, video mode, and a few other things. The mixer settings, media pool, and labels do NOT remain across power cycles. However, you CAN store them to a computer's hard drive with the Save and Restore features in the control software. So for now, I'll add a "File -> Restore" step to my workflow.

eisenmen

PostThu Dec 09, 2021 11:31 pm

WTF - this thread is already 18 months old and there still isn't a fix through multiple generations of software updates? Can BM let us know if this will ever be fixed, or do we all live with two year old software from here on out? We have six of the Blackmagic Design ATEM Television Studio Live Production Switchers installed in various locations - we need them to all work properly.

- Michael

Joshua Szanto

PostMon Dec 13, 2021 12:02 am

We are running the latest ATEM software and firmware on our Television Studio HD as of the datetime of this post and still have this problem. Version 8.6.4 (7 Oct 2021)

AndyMcHardy

PostMon Dec 13, 2021 8:55 pm

IIRC there have not been any updates in the software that is for the TVS HD since 7.5.* so there isn't really a reason to update.

Also with the age of the TVS HD I wouldn't expect a fix to come
Flypack 1: ATEM 1M/E 4K | Studio Converter | Camera Converter | Hyperdeck Studio Pro | 12x12 Cleanswitch | SmartScope Duo 4K | Teranex 2D
Flypack 2: ATEM TVS HD | Hyperdeck Studio Mini | SmartView Duo
Office: ATEM Mini

Andy Coulthurst

PostMon Dec 13, 2021 9:19 pm

There is a problem with trying to use the Atem software when you have two types of hardware , for example a Constellation and a TV HD , the Atem Software wants to upgrade the firmware.

Charles Papert

PostWed May 18, 2022 11:05 pm

Has anyone had a chance to try out the new Constellation version of this unit and can confirm that this issue has at least been resolved there?

chjaway

PostFri Jul 22, 2022 1:02 am

Does Blackmagic post "Release Notes" anywhere?
v8.8 was just released yesterday, it would be nice to know if this issue was addressed without the tedious upgrade/downgrade process.

Tobias Dieterich

PostFri Jul 22, 2022 8:38 pm

The only changelog you get are those few lines on the download page. I have no hope that this issue will still be addressed...
Tobias Dieterich | T.D. Video Engineering | www.tdvideo.de

video and embedded software engineer
ready for SMPTE ST 2110

Dave Del Vecchio

PostSat Jul 23, 2022 2:26 am

chjaway wrote:Does Blackmagic post "Release Notes" anywhere?
v8.8 was just released yesterday, it would be nice to know if this issue was addressed without the tedious upgrade/downgrade process.
Firmware update 8.8 does not seem to apply to the ATEM Television Studio HD models as the switcher stays on the previous firmware without updating.

As far as I can tell, the latest firmware that has any updates that apply to the ATEM Television Studio HD is still 8.1.1 (which of course has the settings saving issue). It is a bit unclear what changes were included between firmware 7.5.2 (the last version where this feature worked) and 8.1.1 as all of the release notes for the versions in between just said: "General performance and stability updates."

Given that the ATEM Television Studio HD has now been discontinued in favor of the ATEM Constellation HD and ATEM SDI models, it's possible that there won't be any more firmware updates for the ATEM Television Studio HD.

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jul 25, 2022 8:11 pm

Hello everyone. I have posted this before but it's worth posting again. If you want the full designed functionality of the ATEM Television Studio HD or HD Pro, please install version 7.5.2. The media and saving the Startup State will work correctly. If you are willing to compromise this functionality, then the later firmware could be installed. In most cases the workaround would be to set everything up the way you want and save to an XML file. Upon power up, simply restore the XML file. We cannot promise if this will change in the future, but hopefully one of these scenarios will work for most everyone.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Julusian

PostTue Jul 26, 2022 7:23 pm

I don't think that restoring from XML file is a workable solution a lot of the time. I know of many users who do not use ATEM Software Control for day to day operation, so they are either being forced to for these steps, or they are relying on replicating the functionality in any 3rd party software they use.
The SDK doesn't provide a similar functionality of restoring from XML by itself, so it won't be easy to replicate this 'fix' into 3rd party software. And that also isnt factoring in those which use a reverse engineered implementation of the protocol, as those implementations are rarely complete making this pretty much impossible for them to do.

To say to stay on 7.5.2 also isnt really workable, as a lot of users have multiple ATEMs, and will likely need to be using 8.1+ for some of those which means they will have to have separate computers for use with the TVS HD and for everything else. As the SDK needs a matching ATEM firmware, they will likely face challenges with using 3rd party software too, which could cause even more issues.

I have users asking me to implement xml restoring in my application, which as it is opensource I cannot justify the tens or possibly hundreds of hours to implement this over other features. So what should these users do? A lot of them use our application to make a simple workflow for their volunteers. If you try and guide them through restoring an XML file, they are more likely to mess something up than do it successfully. So are they supposed to stick on an older firmware and have a second computer for using with their atem mini?
Luckily we use a reverse engineered connection library (because we need linux support), so our software can handle atems on different firmware. But if we were using the official SDK, then they would be left with only bad options.

I find it ridiculous that such a breaking bug which was reported over 2 years ago has not been fixed, 2 years of which it was a current model. There are some bugs I reported which haven't been fixed, but for those I can appreciate the lack of justification/business case. But to recommend running a 2 year old firmware on a then current model is very different.

If it was just the media that wasnt persisted then I would feel differently on this. That persistence is unique to these models after all, so is understandable how it could break and be hard to justify the cost to fix. But the rest of the startup state should still work.

What is the policy on which devices are still supported, or are being tested with in QA? Before I saw this thread I assumed that we could expect important bug fixes for any model still listed on the website. Now I feel like I should only expect it for the latest few models. The Constellation 8K hasnt seen new firmware in a while, is that EOL too? Should I give up hope on the minor bug I reported on that ever being fixed?

Xtreemtec

PostWed Jul 27, 2022 8:19 am

Gary Adams wrote:If you want the full designed functionality of the ATEM Television Studio HD or HD Pro, please install version 7.5.2. The media and saving the Startup State will work correctly.

Sorry Gary but how is it possible that a feature that worked out of the box, That worked a year ago is not working anymore in any current fw release.. Even more it has been reported over several FW versions and still the FW fix to repair the bug isn't made.. :o

I had a lot of trust in BMD but this really sounds like a Bad joke... :?
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Andy Coulthurst

PostWed Jul 27, 2022 3:44 pm

I have to agree with these sentiments. I have suffered from the settings bug in this model - but far worse am still waiting for bug fixes in the Constellation 8K - a flagship product which is not receiving fixes to serious issues.

Charles Papert

PostMon Aug 15, 2022 11:42 pm

100% on the above clarifications of scenario. I can't roll back because I am controlling the TV Studio and an ATEM Mini with one computer. And as pointed out above, this used to work fine before. Ugh.

Xtreemtec

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 10:11 am

Andy Coulthurst wrote:but far worse am still waiting for bug fixes in the Constellation 8K - a flagship product which is not receiving fixes to serious issues.

Dont hold your breath on updates for the 8K.. Seems BMD has moved on with the new Atem Const HD and Atem SDI pro models they dont look back anymore as what happens all the time with them. :roll:

Guess in 1 or 2 years the 8K is replaced with yet another new model with new features and the older mixers always suffer from it..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Andy Coulthurst

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 3:30 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:
Andy Coulthurst wrote:but far worse am still waiting for bug fixes in the Constellation 8K - a flagship product which is not receiving fixes to serious issues.

Dont hold your breath on updates for the 8K.. Seems BMD has moved on with the new Atem Const HD and Atem SDI pro models they dont look back anymore as what happens all the time with them. :roll:

Guess in 1 or 2 years the 8K is replaced with yet another new model with new features and the older mixers always suffer from it..

So the answer now is to fully test the product during warranty - and if any bugs are show stoppers - return the product - because it will not get fixed. I will be very careful in the future with any BM product.

AntonyN

PostWed Dec 20, 2023 2:47 pm

And it gets worse!

I have a ATEM TV Studio HD that I returned to 7.5.2 to fix the Start up issue, but now as I'm using a ATEM Mini Pro on latest software, the Software App doesn't recognise the TV Studio running the old version.

(Fortunately a Stream Deck still controls both versions - so I can push away)

Come on BMD - get yer finger out - this has been an issue for 3 years now!!

alochow

PostSat Dec 23, 2023 5:52 pm

Can confirm at least with 8.9 firmware that the Tint issue seems to be solved for the ATEM Television Studio Pro 4K after updating Software control to 9.3.1. Still has the White balance issue though. I really wish they would at least add a field where we can type in the WB value instead of having to click 900 times to get it from 5600 down to 3100ish... Anything that would speed this up would be appreciated. A slider, something in the Color Correction Window, something to improve quality of life here...

Return to Live Production