DaVinci Resolve 17 | Feature Requests

• Author

Agent83

Re: DaVinci Resolve 17 | Feature Requests

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 1:38 pm

Shrinivas Ramani wrote:Kay,

For issues with stability, please refer to the FAQs for what information we need to follow up. At the least we need a clear understanding of your issue and workflow, a complete listing of hardware, peripherals, OS and driver setup, and a link to a diagnostic log archive captured after a crash.

Using and exporting projects in 8K will invariably depend on getting multiple workflow factors right - GPU processing power, GPU memory, disk throttling, codecs used etc - as well as an understanding of overheads for each effect applied.

Providing this information in context of a bug will help us determine if there are hardware bottlenecks, OS related changes, driver issues, or limitations in our software.

Regards
Shrinivas

Hello Shrinivas, unfortunately I can't answer sooner. I am very aware of the special requirements for 8k video editing. As I work at the limit of the program's performance, the bugs only come to light faster.

However, Davinci Resolve has many errors in very simple functions, like cutting! I want to help you to eliminate these errors. That's why I opened up a new topic for "error reports". The topic is aimed at you, the developers. Here you can see comprehensible errors and if you want to eliminate them. The numerous trivial errors in Davinci Resolve severely restrict the program for a real professional use. I have already lost weeks and months with the program and have not been able to meet deadlines. In principle, I find the idea of the program and the interface very good. The quality can still be improved. To achieve this, I am happy to help.

Best
Kay
8-12k VR production.
ASUS Maximus Z690 Formula, I9 12900K, DDR5 64GB/5200,
2xNVIDIA P6000 24GB, 84 TB Workspace

Agent83

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 1:45 pm

jamedia wrote:...

+10 for this Stability first, then fixing/improving current things second then new features a distant third.

That's the way it is! Especially in programming. I can only fully agree with that.
8-12k VR production.

Agent83

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 1:50 pm

tlegvold wrote:+1 Stability first, new features second. If we can't rely on it as a professional tool, it doesn't matter how many bells and whistles it has.

That's the way it is! Especially in programming. I can only fully agree with that.
8-12k VR production.

Agent83

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 2:01 pm

Errors are costs. And more errors are more costs. At all levels.
I would also like to point out that for Blackmagic Design and its programmers it is becoming more and more difficult to keep the comprehensive program in the market if the bugs of the program are not eliminated. The programmers themselves are developing new functions on an unstable basis and will have more and more problems even in the future. At some point, Blackmagic Design will stop programming because the internal effort has become too high. This development can be avoided if you have a stable system in front of you as a programmer and on this basis you are driving the development of new functions. It is therefore in the own interest of Blackmagic Design programmers and this company itself to dramatically improve the quality of the software.

We are all happy to help.
Kay
Last edited by Agent83 on Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8-12k VR production.

jamedia

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 2:07 pm

Agent83 wrote: .....However, Davinci Resolve has many errors in very simple functions, like cutting! I want to help you to eliminate these errors.......
........The numerous trivial errors in Davinci Resolve severely restrict the program for a real..... use.
......In principle, I find the idea of the program and the interface very good. The quality can still be improved. To achieve this, I am happy to help.

+1
There are a lot of things that need fixing and sorting before new features. Stability should be paramount followed by fixing and improving the usability of current features. Eg Tool Tips.

I think one problem is that it is the same dev team from day 1 some 15+ years ago? They are set in their ways and only see things one way. The world has moved on. They have to listen to the majority of their users

I would suggest that with the launch and success of three versions of the ATEM mini Resolve's market and the work flow of the majority of Resolve users is not the way it was done in the traditional film world. So a shift in thinking is needed. FCPX was rejected by many traditional film professionals as iMovie+ but FCPX has more paid users than the total number of free and paid resolve users in less than a decade.
www.JAmedia.uk
[AMD Ryzen 5950X 16 Core CPU | 128GB Ram | NVIDIA 3080TI 12GB ]
[MB ASUS ProArt B550| C Drive:; 1TB M2 980 Pro | D Drive; 2TB M2 970 EVO ]
[ Win 11 home |Resolve Studio V18.6 | Speed Editor via USB | Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen| ]

Hendrik Proosa

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 2:09 pm

Resolves pricing model might be biting them in the ass. Every developer understands this but they will not rewrite the core in their free time if there isn’t enough resources allocated for this.
I do stuff.

jamedia

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 2:21 pm

Hendrik Proosa wrote:Resolves pricing model might be biting them in the ass. Every developer understands this but they will not rewrite the core in their free time if there isn’t enough resources allocated for this.

Chicken and egg. If Resolve is not stable and reliable then whilst many people, like me, will try out the free version, they are not going to pay money for it.

If BMD make the program stable, reliable and more usable (with the features it has) then a LOT more people would pay for it.

I fully intended to buy the Studio version however I will wait to see what BMD does.
www.JAmedia.uk
[ Win 11 home |Resolve Studio V18.6 | Speed Editor via USB | Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen| ]

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 6:24 pm

jamedia wrote:
Hendrik Proosa wrote:Resolves pricing model might be biting them in the ass. Every developer understands this but they will not rewrite the core in their free time if there isn’t enough resources allocated for this.

Chicken and egg. If Resolve is not stable and reliable then whilst many people, like me, will try out the free version, they are not going to pay money for it.

If BMD make the program stable, reliable and more usable (with the features it has) then a LOT more people would pay for it.

I fully intended to buy the Studio version however I will wait to see what BMD does.

Am I understand correctly that you don't have the full version (therefore never paid a dime to BM) but you're here to advocate for dumping linux version (and all the user with it) and redesign the software to your liking?

because this is what it seems.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Mel Matsuoka

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 7:35 pm

jamedia wrote:

You speak as if Resolve is the video post-production equivalent of the Edsel, when anyone who has used it professionally every day for over a decade (particularly “A-list” colorists like Walter Volpatto) would not agree with that assessment.

Resolve has a LOT of frustrating bugs and feature oversights. But not much as to make that product too unstable or feature-lacking to use for professional work. Every software application of this level of complexity has constant bugs and areas of instability, and if you’re going to “wait to see” if BMD will ship a bug-free version of Resolve that will be worthy of your $299, then you might as well move on to another app, because it’s never going to happen.

I paid $995 for Resolve when it was first ported to macOS with Resolve 7 (back in 2010, prior to which Resolve was a quarter-to-half-million dollar investment just for a basic working system). I haven’t paid a dime more to BMD for that license since then. Despite all the bugs and frustrating feature oversights, I have never—not once—regretted paying for that $995, nor have I had any hesitation in paying for the additional $299 licenses I have bought for my facility since then.

$995 for Resolve back in 2019 was an absolute bargain. $299 for Resolve today is effectively “free”, considering just how powerful and “usable” it is. There are a few showstopping bugs and missing features, but none are so bad as to render the entire application unusable. Only an ignorant person would say or even imply that.

It’s also highly ignorant to say that the Resolve team doesn’t care about user feedback, because if you’ve used it for any length of time, you would know that they have implemented many features (and fixes) based on direct user feedback. I posted a wishlist back in 2012, and when I look back on that list today, I can see that most of my requests were eventually fulfilled by BMD.

Personally, I wish they would charge more for Resolve Studio, if only so that more money can go directly to the developers. But I also understand that this isn’t BMD’s business strategy.
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 12.5.1, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

jamedia

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 8:06 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:
jamedia wrote:

Am I understand correctly that you don't have the full version (therefore never paid a dime to BM) but you're here to advocate for dumping linux version (and all the user with it) and redesign the software to your liking?

because this is what it seems.

I download the free version to try out with the intention of buying licenses. However my experience with the program and the large number of problems on basic stability have made me hold off on my decision.

Besides the number of Linux users is going to be a very small fraction of the 2 million Resolve users. It was only a suggestion to aid stability.
www.JAmedia.uk

jamedia

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 8:08 pm

Mel Matsuoka wrote: Every software application of this level of complexity has constant bugs and areas of instability,

That is not true by a LONG way.
www.JAmedia.uk

Mel Matsuoka

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 8:19 pm

jamedia wrote:
Mel Matsuoka wrote: Every software application of this level of complexity has constant bugs and areas of instability,

I invite you to specifically list the applications which support your contrary assertion.
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 12.5.1, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

jamedia

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 8:22 pm

Mel Matsuoka wrote:
jamedia wrote:

I invite you to specifically list the applications which support your contrary assertion.

Anything validated to D0187 DAL A, 61508 SIL4 , 26262 ASIL4, EN50128 etc etc etc
I have written non trivial software that was still running defect free 22 years later.
www.JAmedia.uk

Mel Matsuoka

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 8:35 pm

jamedia wrote:That is not true by a LONG way.

Mel Matsuoka wrote:I invite you to specifically list the applications which support your contrary assertion.

jamedia wrote:Anything validated to D0187 DAL A, 61508 SIL4 , 26262 ASIL4, EN50128 etc etc etc
I have written non trivial software that was still running defect free 22 years later.

I was referring to common, non-mission-critical "civilian" creative applications like an NLE, not applications that need to comply to ISO or IEC specs in order to meet obvious safety requirements.

A color-grading/editing app like Resolve clearly has a bit more leniency (and no requirements to meet any international standards) in regards to "bugs and instability" than an embedded system that may cause a train to derail if there is a bug in the codebase. The former is what we are discussing, not the latter.

jamedia

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 8:51 pm

Mel Matsuoka wrote:

jamedia wrote:That is not true by a LONG way.

Mel Matsuoka wrote:I invite you to specifically list the applications which support your contrary assertion.

jamedia wrote:Anything validated to D0187 DAL A, 61508 SIL4 , 26262 ASIL4, EN50128 etc etc etc

I was referring to common, non-mission-critical "civilian" creative applications like an NLE, not applications that need to comply to ISO or IEC specs in order to meet obvious safety requirements.

A color-grading/editing app like Resolve clearly has a bit more leniency (and no requirements to meet any international standards) in regards to "bugs and instability" than an embedded system that may cause a train to derail if there is a bug in the codebase. The former is what we are discussing, not the latter.

All those standards (and a lot more) are "civilian" and often widely used in in consumer areas.

However the fact remains that it is quite possible to write large applications that are stable, reliable and have few defects. It is also, counter intuitively, faster and less expensive to do so.

Your argument that no one is going to get killed is no justification for poor quality.
Last edited by jamedia on Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
www.JAmedia.uk

Timo92

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 8:59 pm

- Better window customizability
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=121522

- Overhaul the "Compound Clip" vs. Nested Timeline system
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=115706

- Make undo and redo available in the text editor on the edit page

- Zoom in to mouse cursor in viewer (like in Photoshop)
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=121405

Mel Matsuoka

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 9:43 pm

jamedia wrote:
Your argument that no one is going to get killed is no justification for poor quality.

I think you misunderstand my point. I wasn't trying to justify poor quality, I was making a point that because an complex NLE/grading/vfx/audio app like Resolve is not required to adhere to international standards of quality or safety, it is not unsurprising that numerous bugs exist, and has continued to exist across multiple releases. It's not a "justification", but rather just a simple statement of reality.

If it weren't for the fact that Resolve has at least SIXTEEN years of codebase behind it (including all the accumulated technical debt that comes along with it), and has a legacy that never expected to be expanded to commodity, consumer level desktop hardware like Macs and Windows PCs before the product was acquired by BMD, then I might be more inclined to be more harshly critical of the current state of the app.

If Resolve was a new application that was built from the ground up to target the market that it's currently targeting, then I'd have no arguments with you that there is probably a "quality" issue that is worthy of criticism. But again, let's remember that we/you are criticizing the quality of an application that once sold for six-figures only to highly niche-market customers who are more tolerant of software quirks, so long as the application offers an overall net gain in productivity and creativity, which it undeniably does.

I'd say the fact that BMD now sells Resolve Studio for only $299, and also offers a 5% "crippled" version for free, allows some level of slack to be cut for the numerous issues that remain unaddressed. This in fact was one of the reasons why I never felt great about them slashing the price of Resolve to $299, because even $995 was an irrationally cheap price to begin with, and I worried that the low cost of Resolve would gain them a huge influx of new users that they wouldnt be able to reasonably support, relative to the gross revenue from the sales of the software alone. I know many developers deliberately make some of their apps available for free, rather than charging for them, only because it absolves them of having to continually support it to the same levels of attention that users expect from a paid application.

Resolve is the dictionary definition of an application that suffers from "technical debt". But the same can also be said for almost all defacto standard creative apps like Adobe Premiere/After Effects and Avid Media Composer.

jamedia

PostThu Sep 17, 2020 9:16 am

To be honest if you presented the above in a project meeting you would be out on your ear.
Your excuses and that is what they are , excuses, don't hold water and are contradictory.
That the project is sixteen years old means it should be rock solid.

I liked what I first saw of Resolve but like others here I fined there are large numbers of small problems and like the others say I think they are solvable. Most fairly easily before they add things like support for 12K that very few are going to need but if they do they still need the other problems fixed.

I think there are a lot of people who would want to help improve Resolve but I think the vast majority are outside the Traditional LA/London bubble with a different work flow.
If the defects were fixed and the little niggles were sorted then I think a lot more people would buy Resolve .
Also it would be easier to ad new features to a stable codebase.

Before you answer I suggest you read The Economics of SQ Quality by Capers Jones
After that I can suggest a reading list of another 50 books and papers on real world software development including some of my own.
www.JAmedia.uk

philC_retired

PostSat Sep 19, 2020 11:56 pm

The histogram view beneath the curves is a great feature. Don't know if to call it a bug or just a missing feature behavior, but switching between 'input' and 'output' does not change the display until a change, albeit a small one, is made to the curves. I believe the display should switch instantly when the 'input' or 'output' is selected.

Phil Crosby
Studio 16.2.7 Win10.
Phil Crosby
Premiere Pro refugee
Retired engineer, photographer, jack of many trades.
Lenovo Legion5Pro 16"QHD, Ryzen7 5800H, RTX3070, 32GB, 2x2TB M.2 SSD
2xWQHD screens
DSLRs, trail cams, action cams, camcorder, & bridge cams.

Andrew Toul

PostMon Sep 21, 2020 9:28 am

I'd be very happy to see a version of Resolve that has no flaws in importing xml from Premiere. I have many customers who still use that NLE and when I get their xml, videos are placed properly but audio is all over the place. I've searched through the forums and found that this goes back to Resolve 12 and no one has a fix for it. So if BMD addressed that issue and made some under the hood adjustments for v17 id be really happy.
BlackoutVFX

waltervolpatto

PostMon Sep 21, 2020 5:22 pm

Andrew Toul wrote:I'd be very happy to see a version of Resolve that has no flaws in importing xml from Premiere. I have many customers who still use that NLE and when I get their xml, videos are placed properly but audio is all over the place. I've searched through the forums and found that this goes back to Resolve 12 and no one has a fix for it. So if BMD addressed that issue and made some under the hood adjustments for v17 id be really happy.

why not ask premiere to export a XML that make sense to the rest of the NLE world?
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled

Mel Matsuoka

PostMon Sep 21, 2020 8:40 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:
Andrew Toul wrote:I'd be very happy to see a version of Resolve that has no flaws in importing xml from Premiere. I have many customers who still use that NLE and when I get their xml, videos are placed properly but audio is all over the place. I've searched through the forums and found that this goes back to Resolve 12 and no one has a fix for it. So if BMD addressed that issue and made some under the hood adjustments for v17 id be really happy.

why not ask premiere to export a XML that make sense to the rest of the NLE world?

Or even better, let's petition all NLE manufacturers to start embracing OpenTimelineIO as a timeline interchange format.

https://github.com/PixarAnimationStudios/OpenTimelineIO

Andrew Toul

PostTue Sep 22, 2020 4:12 pm

waltervolpatto wrote: why not ask premiere to export a XML that make sense to the rest of the NLE world?

Well, Adobe doesn't deem to give a F about the rest. And I also don't give a F to improve Adobe products.
On the other hand , the other opinion makes sense. Adopting a single standard will help everyone 8-)
BlackoutVFX

Mel Matsuoka

PostTue Sep 22, 2020 8:02 pm

Andrew Toul wrote:
waltervolpatto wrote: why not ask premiere to export a XML that make sense to the rest of the NLE world?

Well, Adobe doesn't deem to give a F about the rest. And I also don't give a F to improve Adobe products.
On the other hand , the other opinion makes sense. Adopting a single standard will help everyone 8-)

I've done deeper research into OpenTimelineIO, and unfortunately it seems like it's not quite at a stage of development where it's appropriate as either a native timeline format for NLEs, nor as an interchange format between different NLEs. As you would guess, one of the main obstacles that they haven't been able to solve are variable speed time-remaps.

Right now it seems the primary benefit & focus of OTIO is for editorial to VFX pipelines, but they seem very open to expanding it to general NLE interchange, if there is "enough interest" in it.

jamedia

PostWed Sep 23, 2020 8:15 am

Why do people want to swap between NLE's?

I would have thought that if Resolve has fewer defects and is more stable there would be no need to swap. People would stay, or rather start off, in Resolve
www.JAmedia.uk

Mel Matsuoka

PostWed Sep 23, 2020 10:57 am

jamedia wrote:Why do people want to swap between NLE's?

I would have thought that if Resolve has fewer defects and is more stable there would be no need to swap. People would stay, or rather start off, in Resolve

Because most editors do not edit using Resolve. It’s as simple as that. It has more to do with familiarity of tools and preservation of established workflows, and little to do with the actual quality or technical capabilities of Resolve itself. You’re not going to get an editor who has been editing on Avid or Premiere every day of their career to switch to Resolve overnight, because there is a huge price to pay in terms of changes in workflows and learning curves, and most professional editors (esp in time sensitive scenarios like commercials or episodic TV or film) couldn’t spare the time to switch, even if they wanted to.

Also the desire for more robust timeline interchange comes more from colorists, not editors.

Andrew Toul

PostWed Sep 23, 2020 3:55 pm

Mel Matsuoka wrote:Also the desire for more robust timeline interchange comes more from colorists, not editors.

Yep. Colorists and sound mixers. Mostly editors edit in their native environment and then you have to elaborate and juggle to get a correct timeline I your colouring app or DAW. But I agree that the two major problems are
1. The proper interpretation between NLEs and
2. The developers not willing to get in trouble messing their code in favour of the common good.

But let's hope that either , the developers , collaborate or an independent developer makes a proper "translator"
for all these formats ( just like 7toX , Xtocc, etc)
BlackoutVFX

jamedia

PostThu Sep 24, 2020 9:19 am

Mel Matsuoka wrote:
jamedia wrote:Why do people want to swap between NLE's?

Because most editors do not edit using Resolve. It’s as simple as that.

Because Resolve is unreliable?

Resolve has I believe 2 million users. Most users of Resolve are going to be editors. Because Resolve is free the majority of users, will not be working in teams in LA/ London. I note that despite derision from "professionals" for FCPX: in half the time Resolve has been around FCPX has a similar number of users (all paying) across the world. The only place it is not popular is the LA bubble. The film world does not revolve around LA these days. In fact Mumbai Is the centre of the film world for the last few years and the market has changed a lot.

Whist Resolve is unreliable the vast majority of single users who want to edit in Resolve won't invest cash in buying it. Making Resolve more stable and getting rid of all the minor niggles will convert that many of that number to paying users of Resolve.
www.JAmedia.uk

Timo92

PostThu Sep 24, 2020 11:39 am

jamedia wrote:Most users of Resolve are going to be editors.
I thought the majority only use it for color correction?

jamedia

PostThu Sep 24, 2020 12:02 pm

Timo92 wrote:
jamedia wrote:Most users of Resolve are going to be editors.
I thought the majority only use it for color correction?

It might be a majority of paid users but not a majority of all users. You only have to read the forum that the vast majority of discussions are about other aspects of Resolve. Also I see LOTS of users on YouTube doing stuff about Resolve who are not Colourists.

It is a bit chicken and egg if BMD wants to greatly increase it's base of paid users then it needs to sort out the stability. I am not a colourist. I intended to be a paid user of Resolve but I won't be whilst it is as unstable it is now. There are other more stable options and don't need that level of colour correction.
www.JAmedia.uk

Håkon Broder Lund

PostSat Sep 26, 2020 4:51 pm

- Be able to use in camera proxy as optimized media. Color uses the fidelity of the raw/high fidelity and edit/cut uses the proxy media.

- In edit. When playing a audio file in a bin you can not drag the playhead on the waveform unless you pause the audio. Then you can drag. Make it so you can drag while playing. (if there is a setting I'm missing to make this happen already, please let me know)
Camera: UMP | P6K Pro | P4K | Canon R5 | Many EF and RF lenses
Computer: 3960X | 128GB RAM | 1080Ti
Remote: Top spec MBP 2015

Andrew Toul

PostSun Sep 27, 2020 1:16 pm

Håkon Broder Lund wrote:- Be able to use in camera proxy as optimized media. Color uses the fidelity of the raw/high fidelity and edit/cut uses the proxy media.

- In edit. When playing a audio file in a bin you can not drag the playhead on the waveform unless you pause the audio. Then you can drag. Make it so you can drag while playing. (if there is a setting I'm missing to make this happen already, please let me know)

+1 for these. Especially for the audio thing.
BlackoutVFX

skj1981

PostSun Sep 27, 2020 10:32 pm

Here's some minor features/ additions I'd love to see implemented into the next version:

In Fairlight:

To be able to use the zoom in/out keyboard shortcuts while on the timeline. As it is now you have to click off the timeline to use this function. Please fix.

A "selection follows Playhead' for audio-only options.

Audio gain using the standard shortcut 'ctrl+alt+-/+' just like it is used on the Edit Page.

Able to adjust speed changes to audio clips in Fairlight -- just like on the Edit Page.

Cheers
Last edited by skj1981 on Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Russ Blaise

PostTue Sep 29, 2020 1:58 pm

I use the "Transform" dialog box a lot. I'd love to be able to set and save multiple presets. For me it would be a major time saver.
Mac Pro (2012) 2 x 3.46GHz 6-Core, Catalina (Open Core), 96GB RAM, Radeon RX 580 8 GB, Intensity Pro 4k, Resolve Studio.

digitallysane

PostWed Sep 30, 2020 3:30 pm

brokenfeet wrote:--> or maybe have a full "fusion-like" key frame editor within the timeline.

This would be very useful.

I also find the timeline keyframe editor unusable.
The Fusion one would be a very good fit, as an UI it is much better suited for timeline editing.
Could also have a mode, like in Fusion, where the keyframes are drawn over the track itself.

And bring the Fusion splines too.

Rolands Briedis

PostSat Oct 03, 2020 6:08 pm

"PLEASE dearest Blackmagic Team, give us the ability to scrub through the waveform in the Source Monitor!"
+
Zoom in source monitor timeline. I have filmed 2 hours long talking head it is a nightmare to put precisely in/ out marks in the source monitor.
Another option would be to implement "Fine scrubbing". For example, while holding "alt" You could scrub more precisely in the source monitor.

RandyOK

PostFri Oct 23, 2020 9:02 pm

708 , srt.,.mcc, .vtt closed captioning please and thank you.
DaVinci Resolve STUDIO 18.5.3
Puget Systems
Windows 10 Pro OS
i9 9940X CPU
Dual RTX 2080Ti GPUs
64GB RAM

waltervolpatto

PostFri Oct 23, 2020 9:54 pm

RandyOK wrote:708 , srt.,.mcc, .vtt closed captioning please and thank you.

It does .srt.....

Timo92

PostSat Oct 24, 2020 3:59 am

+ Ability to turn snapping on while pressing the shift key, and off when the shift key is released
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=123919

Agent83

PostSat Nov 07, 2020 11:17 am

The same previews in all other pages as in the Fusion page. Especially the VR view would be very nice in the color page, edit page and delivering page. This VR view already exists in the Fusion page. The transfer to the other pages should therefore not be a technical problem.
8-12k VR production.

waltervolpatto

PostSat Nov 07, 2020 5:57 pm

Agent83 wrote:The same previews in all other pages as in the Fusion page. Especially the VR view would be very nice in the color page, edit page and delivering page. This VR view already exists in the Fusion page. The transfer to the other pages should therefore not be a technical problem.

Please don’t.

Timo92

PostSat Nov 07, 2020 8:24 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:
Agent83 wrote:The same previews in all other pages as in the Fusion page. Especially the VR view would be very nice in the color page, edit page and delivering page. This VR view already exists in the Fusion page. The transfer to the other pages should therefore not be a technical problem.

Please don’t.

Coud you explain why you don't want this to happen?
I don't like when people just say that they disagree with a proposal, without explaining why they disagree. It's not helpful.

waltervolpatto

PostTue Nov 10, 2020 6:40 pm

Timo92 wrote:
waltervolpatto wrote:

Please don’t.

Coud you explain why you don't want this to happen?
I don't like when people just say that they disagree with a proposal, without explaining why they disagree. It's not helpful.

The way the page worked in resolve was about the same for 10 years and it works. Literally millions of users use it in that way.

If you want uniformity, make fusion match.

mastix

PostWed Nov 11, 2020 12:58 pm

Love all the new developments in DR 17. Many great new features.

If I would suggest one more feature to concentrate on is Fusion. It is such a complicated beast that you need to constantly go in search for tutorials on how to. I wish it could be simplified. So many nodes to do simple tasks.

For example to clone out something and to track it is for me a nightmare. Why can it not be:
Media In- Tracking node - Paint and Media out

Instead you have to:
create a plannar tracker then transform it into a planar transform Than you have to connect clicking on "Center X" in "stroke controls" and make your choice between many options again,.........neverending story. Why all this if you could do it with 2 nodes : track first and apply the paint(clone).
The color and edit tab are so simple and straightforward that is alway mindblowing why it is so complicated inside Fusion.

So for me my only wish is that Fusion becomes more simple in the future.

By the way I love the magic mask, all the new titles and transitions presets. That are the things that make our life much easier and enjoyable. :)
Windows 10 64 bits
Davinci Resolve 18.1.4 Studio
INTEL 8700
32 RAM
NVIDIA RTX 3090

Zweistein

PostWed Nov 11, 2020 2:30 pm

Feature Requests

– Re-wrapping DCPs (no re-encoding, just new meta data along with existing .MXF files)

– "Gang viewer zoom with video output" option in Edit Page (currently only in Color Page)

– copy & paste subtitle track styles between tracks and timelines

– modify/change the preset for subtitle track style and create a preset library of subtitle track styles

– OMF export with the option to copy whole files without re-encode (currently just possible to add frame handles)

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to R17 <3
Cinematographerwww.janniktesch.comwww.sensorsizes.com
UMP 4.6K G1 6.9.4 – PCC4K OLPF 8.1 – Resolve Studio 18.6.5 – macOS 14.4 – MacBook Pro 2023, M2 Pro, 14"
EIZO CG247XUltraStudio Monitor 3G 12.5 – Micro Panel

bclontz

PostWed Nov 11, 2020 4:59 pm

I love the improvements to the Cut page in this release, there is just one more very basic feature that I wish was available:

Please add opacity handles to the top corners of each clip, so we can quickly add a fadein/fadeout to a clip. Its a bit annoying to have to switch over to the edit page just for that. And while you can also add opacity keyframes in the inspector, it takes a lot more effort than the solution that already exists on the edit page.

Rolands Briedis

PostTue Dec 15, 2020 4:18 pm

"I want to clear in and out marked points for all clips inside a Bin and I'm not able to do so, Mark > Clear In and Out (Alt+X) has no effect."

"Clear In and Out" for multiple clips inside a Bin as stated in this question:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=109704

Apaps1970

PostTue Dec 15, 2020 5:24 pm

I know that subtitles are boring but they are a necessity, so here goes.
There should be a way to save the track style (font, size, position etc.) in the Subtitle Track style.
And there should be a way to justify the position of the subtitle as anchored on top line.
We work with a lot of post production houses all around the world and commission a lot of films. Being able to export and send to the editors our in house style of subtitling would make life so much easer.
At the moment we have to punch in all the settings for every single sequence.

Also I think that being able to integrate Resolve with avid interplay would make Resolve grow exponentially.
Alexander Papadopoulos

Zweistein

PostWed Dec 16, 2020 12:10 pm

Apaps1970 wrote:I know that subtitles are boring but they are a necessity, so here goes.
There should be a way to save the track style (font, size, position etc.) in the Subtitle Track style.
And there should be a way to justify the position of the subtitle as anchored on top line.
We work with a lot of post production houses all around the world and commission a lot of films. Being able to export and send to the editors our in house style of subtitling would make life so much easer.
At the moment we have to punch in all the settings for every single sequence.

+1

I absolutely agree. Also having custom presets for subtitle track styles would be big a time saver as well.
Cinematographerwww.janniktesch.comwww.sensorsizes.com
UMP 4.6K G1 6.9.4 – PCC4K OLPF 8.1 – Resolve Studio 18.6.5 – macOS 14.4 – MacBook Pro 2023, M2 Pro, 14"
EIZO CG247XUltraStudio Monitor 3G 12.5 – Micro Panel

Bunny42

PostThu Dec 24, 2020 9:23 am

ProRes RAW support would be great
PreviousNext

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests