Introducing Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Ryan Jones

Re: Introducing Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera

PostMon Aug 05, 2013 11:04 pm

focuspulling wrote:
Mac Jaeger wrote:
Charles Stewart Jr wrote:From my experience 185mbps is normal for 23.98. I believe you get 220mbps at 59.94.

185 mbit/s is just right for 25 fps, and as australia is PAL-land, that's to be expected. 220 mbit/s is the maximum bitrate for 30 fps though. And at 24 fps you come as low as 176 mbit/s, or 22 mbyte/s.

Rather than relying upon speculation and memory, it's advisable to scroll up a few posts for hard data.

Funny, Mac's conclusions match your data link exactly.

Mac Jaeger

PostMon Aug 05, 2013 11:12 pm

Huh? I don't need to rely on speculation and memory, i use this stuff day to day. Sorry if i overburdened the forum with duplicate information, won't happen again...

focuspulling

PostMon Aug 05, 2013 11:14 pm

John Brawley wrote:
focuspulling wrote: I suppose it's just my vehement dislike for Apple that makes me loath using ProRes (which we must all admit is not at its peak as a codec after the decline of FinalCut) -- but I suspect also that DNxHD is a superior technology, in which Apple as usual gave us the inferior technology with commercial enthusiasm to compensate...

I suppose that all of this is just your opinion....? you 'Suspect" DNxHD is "superior ? Based on ? your suspicion of an Apple conspiracy ?

DNxHD is pretty much the same as ProRes HQ. Similar data rate, bit depth and compression technology. They are more or less the same for most people's needs...

You might loath Apple but ProRes is more accepted and more widely used.

"like" it or not, ProRes is the defacto high end codec for production. Arri only recently added DNxHD to the Alexa,after only having ProRes for over a year. And believe it or not, it's actually harder to get ProRes going because you have to have every single product approved by Apple. Before you can sell a ProRes camera they have to vet the camera to make sure they're satisfied that the codec is correctly implemented in that device.

The only time I see DNxHD being used is as a transcode format (from ProRes !) because AVID tend to do better file sharing of media for editing stations so most multi-episodic TV still gets cut AVID.

BMD have always been an APPLE oriented company. They had one of the first Thunderbolt devices. The have the only camera that has thunderbolt.

Apple have been a large part of their success and their customer base is more than likely to be an Apple user.

jb

Well, things do run in circles when one post expresses an opinion, then another expresses an opinion saying that the other post was just an opinion -- rinse and repeat. Be that as it may, ensuing posts here bore out yet more causes for complaint about ProRes, not just distaste for the Apple Corporation's predatory and command/control standards (part of my opinion indeed), but the actual operating system and application incompatibilities you do find in ProRes -- annoyances that DNxHD and CinemaDNG set out to avoid as more open-source inventions. You basically noted this yourself.

And don't forget about the raw statistical reality that filmmakers at many levels, from the small indie to the production house grunt, now are seated firmly in the pews before Adobe Premiere CC. No one should advocate writing off Final Cut X, while no one should forget the trainwreck that happened and the ensuing mass migration to Adobe. ProRes is going nowhere but less.
Paul Moon | FocusPulling (.com) | On the art & technology of filmmaking
www.focuspulling.com | facebook.com/focuspulling | @focuspulling

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostMon Aug 05, 2013 11:20 pm

focuspulling wrote:
Charles Stewart Jr wrote:
frnz wrote:Just downloaded the footage and threw it in Quicktime to see the specs. It's interesting that it shows the bitrate as 185.8mb/s. Shouldn't ProRes HQ be 220mb/s?

From my experience 185mbps is normal for 23.98. I believe you get 220mbps at 59.94.

It's a combination of frame dimensions, frame rate, and codec as always. Here's the official table; none of the numbers so far nail it dead-on, but only by a hair:

http://documentation.apple.com/en/final ... 6section=4

Hi Lee: And "image complexity", also mentioned in the Apple document you referenced. The content/imagery in a frame affects its compressibility, and so also the resulting bit rate.

ProRes is a variable bit rate (VBR) codec. Apple's listed bit rates for ProRes are target rates. The actual rate of a particular ProRes file will vary for all the reasons mentioned above.

Again, Apple's most recent ProRes white paper (PDF) is here:
http://images.apple.com/finalcutpro/doc ... r_2012.pdf

-

rick.lang

PostTue Aug 06, 2013 1:45 am

focuspulling wrote:
Charles Stewart Jr wrote:
frnz wrote:Just downloaded the footage and threw it in Quicktime to see the specs. It's interesting that it shows the bitrate as 185.8mb/s. Shouldn't ProRes HQ be 220mb/s?

From my experience 185mbps is normal for 23.98. I believe you get 220mbps at 59.94.

It's a combination of frame dimensions, frame rate, and codec as always. Here's the official table; none of the numbers so far nail it dead-on, but only by a hair:

http://documentation.apple.com/en/final ... 6section=4

I just thought it was 25 fps because John shoots in a PAL country, no?

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Gilly

PostTue Aug 06, 2013 2:27 am

John Brawley wrote:
Gilly wrote:I know this might be considered slightly off topic, but in regards to BMD's implementation of apple pro rez, it sure would be nice if the format was apple pro rez and not BMD's version of such.

Are you absolutely 100 % certain that your rendered file is Apple ProRes HQ ? If it's not that specific flavour of ProRes it wont work.

Please check you're rendering the right flavour. I don't believe you can make proprietary ProRes files.

I know that the camera will playback any ProRes HQ file, even ones that aren't recorded in the camera. I've rendered to ProRes HQ and then put the SSD drive back in the camera by accident and discovered they play.

jb

John & Others with Rendering Interests...

Spoke with Black Magic Support this morning... turns out I had my Shuttle on the wrong settings. That said, there are some render settings that BMD provided me. I still have to try them out, I was not able to today. Anyway here is what Julian from BMD Tech support sent.
Hi Bill,

As we discussed over the phone, here are the settings for exporting a ProRes file from FCP7 for use with the HyperDecks. Please keep in mind that as the HyperDecks were not designed to accommodate this workflow I cannot guarantee that these settings will work through other applications.

Toe Export ProRes Files from FCP7:

Choose File -> Export Using QuickTime Conversion and a save menu should pop up
Select the Options button to reveal the Movie Settings menu
Select the Video Settings button to set your codec and frame rate, make sure to set Compression Type to Apple ProRes 422 (HQ)
Select the Video Size button from the Movie Settings menu to set your output resolution
Select the Sound Settings button from the Movie Settings menu to set your audio settings. Make sure to choose 16bit little endian and Stereo, LR for HyperDeck compatibility
Click Okay and then save save your exported file. Transfer to the HyperDeck and playback

Hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Best,

-- Julian Fine
Technical Support Agent
Blackmagic Design Inc.
"Gilly"
Bill Gilbride
i7 3.5 ghz quadcore hackentosh with dual THUNDERBOLT
240g SSD
GTX 780 4k Ready!
I got tired of waiting on apple :)

Jace Ross

PostTue Aug 06, 2013 7:18 am

focuspulling wrote:... but the actual operating system and application incompatibilities you do find in ProRes -- annoyances that DNxHD and CinemaDNG set out to avoid as more open-source inventions.

How is DNxHD "more open-source"? Genuine question.

To my knowledge it's a proprietary codec owned by Avid and has a very firm licensing agreement. That's nothing like open-source and pretty much identical to ProRes. Feel free to correct me on this though.
BMPCC, FD Canon 28mm f2.8, Tokina 80-200mm F4, Tamron 70-300mm f4 C Canon J6x12 MFT SLR Magic 17mm T1.6, Sigma 19mm f2.8, Samyang 7.5mm f3.5
Rode VideoMic, Viewfactor Cage/Handle/Grip/Perspex backing

Pete Proniewicz-Brooks

PostTue Aug 06, 2013 9:55 am

Jace Ross wrote:
focuspulling wrote:... but the actual operating system and application incompatibilities you do find in ProRes -- annoyances that DNxHD and CinemaDNG set out to avoid as more open-source inventions.

To my knowledge it's a proprietary codec owned by Avid and has a very firm licensing agreement. That's nothing like open-source and pretty much identical to ProRes. Feel free to correct me on this though.

This has confused me to. DNxHD is in no way open source as far as I can tell. It is licensed for more platforms but that has nothing to do with wheter it is open source (a term that is often missaplied in this way). THe licensing procedures are likely fairly similar to.

Cinema DNG is an open source codec.

focuspulling

PostTue Aug 06, 2013 9:30 pm

Jace Ross wrote:

Sorry for the confusion; I had my own understanding of the term open source in my mind, instead of the more commonly accepted understanding. To me (and this isn't accurate), open source was qualitative with respect to flexibility of the codec, including compatibility, platform ubiquity, customization, etc. Whereas I realize now that the word source with "open" is the key: that true "open source" codecs don't require draconian licensing barriers found in ProRes and, to a lesser extent, DNxHD.

I'm a big fan of Ut Video Codec, which may or may not have been eclipsed by CinemaDNG as a true open-source lossless codec: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Ut-Video-Codec-Suite

Jace Ross

PostTue Aug 06, 2013 9:32 pm

focuspulling wrote:
Jace Ross wrote:

Sorry for the confusion; I had my own understanding of the term open source in my mind, instead of the more commonly accepted understanding. To me (and this isn't accurate), open source was qualitative with respect to flexibility of the codec, including compatibility, platform ubiquity, customization, etc. Whereas I realize now that the word source with "open" is the key: that true "open source" codecs don't require draconian licensing barriers found in ProRes and, to a lesser extent, DNxHD.

I'm a big fan of Ut Video Codec, which may or may not have been eclipsed by CinemaDNG as a true open-source lossless codec: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Ut-Video-Codec-Suite

Ok I get you now. Cheers.
BMPCC, FD Canon 28mm f2.8, Tokina 80-200mm F4, Tamron 70-300mm f4 C Canon J6x12 MFT SLR Magic 17mm T1.6, Sigma 19mm f2.8, Samyang 7.5mm f3.5

mike_d

PostWed Aug 07, 2013 3:17 pm

frnz wrote:I've searched the forum and surprisingly didn't see any results about the Komputerbay SD cards. Also the search commands don't even recognize quotation marks to indicate a full phrase for "sd card".
I am about to buy the Komputerbay 128gb 600x SD card. Does anyone own this card and can comment on its 60mb/s write speed?

Yes, I own this card and have tested it with CrystalMark. It does reach 60MB/s for sequential writes. This is the best value card at the moment for the BMPCC but will probably only work with ProRes, not raw.

focuspulling

PostWed Aug 07, 2013 3:38 pm

mike_d wrote:
frnz wrote:I've searched the forum and surprisingly didn't see any results about the Komputerbay SD cards. Also the search commands don't even recognize quotation marks to indicate a full phrase for "sd card".
I am about to buy the Komputerbay 128gb 600x SD card. Does anyone own this card and can comment on its 60mb/s write speed?

Yes, I own this card and have tested it with CrystalMark. It does reach 60MB/s for sequential writes. This is the best value card at the moment for the BMPCC but will probably only work with ProRes, not raw.

Adding to this, I'm pleased with the PNY, which is shy of $100, while reporting write speeds around 50 megabytes per second, or 400 megabits per second which is plenty of headroom for ProRes 422 HQ at 1080p/30:

http://amzn.to/pny128g

David Franzo

PostWed Aug 07, 2013 6:36 pm

mike_d wrote:

Thank you. Now does anyone know of a Firewire SD card reader? I don't have a computer equipped with USB 3.0 and the internal SD slot is running on a USB 2.0 bus so my read speeds max out at 20MB/s. Not sure why since the max speed should technically be 480mb/s (60MB/s), but that seems to be what fast cards are reading in other USB 2.0 readers as well.

CentOS 7.3 | 2x GTX1080 8GB | GTX1060 6GB GUI | DeckLink Studio 4K | 2x Xeon E5-2690 | 64GB DDR4

John Brawley

PostWed Aug 07, 2013 10:23 pm

Gilly wrote:
John Brawley wrote:
Gilly wrote:I know this might be considered slightly off topic, but in regards to BMD's implementation of apple pro rez, it sure would be nice if the format was apple pro rez and not BMD's version of such.

Are you absolutely 100 % certain that your rendered file is Apple ProRes HQ ? If it's not that specific flavour of ProRes it wont work.

John & Others with Rendering Interests...

Spoke with Black Magic Support this morning... turns out I had my Shuttle on the wrong settings. That said, there are some render settings that BMD provided me. I still have to try them out, I was not able to today. Anyway here is what Julian from BMD Tech support sent

So perhaps you should edit your original post ? Not only is it somewhat OT, it's simply not correct and might give people the wrong impression.

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Gilly

PostThu Aug 08, 2013 1:19 am

John Brawley wrote:

So perhaps you should edit your original post ? Not only is it somewhat OT, it's simply not correct and might give people the wrong impression.

jb

Edited original post. My goal was to add to the codec discussion.
"Gilly"
Bill Gilbride
i7 3.5 ghz quadcore hackentosh with dual THUNDERBOLT
240g SSD
GTX 780 4k Ready!
I got tired of waiting on apple :)

SergioV

PostThu Aug 08, 2013 2:02 am

Anyone seen this?:
http://www.redsharknews.com/business/it ... dy-to-ship

or this:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/revie ... aera.shtml

"The Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera is scheduled to ship in late July, 2013, a couple of weeks from when this article first appears. But, since Blackmagic has a track record of being late with new products it might be August or even September until these fall into customer's hands. Update: The BMPCC started shipping on August 2, 2013, just a few days later than scheduled."
Attachments
BMCC_1st_box_shot_Full.jpg
BMCC_1st_box_shot_Full.jpg (362.43 KiB) Viewed 16976 times

bhook

PostThu Aug 08, 2013 2:11 am

So who has received a shipment of Pocket Cams? The first week of August is over...somebody has to have gotten some.

Richard Oakes

PostThu Aug 08, 2013 10:25 am

mhood wrote:So who has received a shipment of Pocket Cams? The first week of August is over...somebody has to have gotten some.

Noone has any! It's all smoke and mirrorless if you ask me :P
Richard Oakes.

leepatterson

PostThu Aug 08, 2013 10:35 am

Not sure where to post this but this seemed the best place... I was looking at the side of the pcket Camera and all those lovely holes and was wondering if anyone has come across a simple rubber strip to seal them when they are not in use? (my pockets are full of bits of biscuits and other things;))

David

PostThu Aug 08, 2013 11:19 am

leepatterson wrote:Not sure where to post this but this seemed the best place... I was looking at the side of the pcket Camera and all those lovely holes and was wondering if anyone has come across a simple rubber strip to seal them when they are not in use? (my pockets are full of bits of biscuits and other things;))

This is some serious foresight. I too have issues with food stuffs in pockets. Someone needs to get on kick starter and pitch this. I'm in for ten bucks.
David Daniel
Dilettante

Michael Coviello

PostThu Aug 08, 2013 2:54 pm

leepatterson wrote:Not sure where to post this but this seemed the best place... I was looking at the side of the pcket Camera and all those lovely holes and was wondering if anyone has come across a simple rubber strip to seal them when they are not in use? (my pockets are full of bits of biscuits and other things;))

I figured I'd just use electrical tape or something of the like. That is, unless a third party manufacturer comes up with a better solution..

Jace Ross

PostThu Aug 08, 2013 8:02 pm

Perhaps cleaning your pockets may help. They aren't food storage devices ;-)

focuspulling

PostThu Aug 08, 2013 8:43 pm

FYI, Wooden Camera have received a BMPC and Tweeted that it was from a B&H order. So clearly priority is being assigned not quite in the order of receipt.

Here are their two rough Instagram videos:

http://instagram.com/p/cwszLSN7zR
http://instagram.com/p/cwuSlLt72L

David Franzo

PostThu Aug 08, 2013 11:25 pm

focuspulling wrote:FYI, Wooden Camera have received a BMPC and Tweeted that it was from a B&H order. So clearly priority is being assigned not quite in the order of receipt.

Well that's mildly upsetting. I just got one of those automated backorder emails from B&H yesterday stating how they have not yet received a shipment from the manufacturer.
Sure looks nice and shiny though!

CentOS 7.3 | 2x GTX1080 8GB | GTX1060 6GB GUI | DeckLink Studio 4K | 2x Xeon E5-2690 | 64GB DDR4

hugh

PostThu Aug 08, 2013 11:36 pm

focuspulling wrote:FYI, Wooden Camera have received a BMPC and Tweeted that it was from a B&H order. So clearly priority is being assigned not quite in the order of receipt.

Well, unless they just happen to have been the very first customer to have ordered it from B&H, which I guess is possible...

Lxd

PostThu Aug 08, 2013 11:45 pm

Well that's the camera nearly in the wild. I'm not really surprised that some orders will be prioritised over others. It makes sense that accessory manufacturers would be prioritised.

I'm more surprised that Wooden Camera have to order via B&H. I would have thought they would get the test units before release.

Looking forward to more footage, test, reports as the camera becomes available.
Alex Davidson
Auckland, New Zealand

Darryl Gregory

PostFri Aug 09, 2013 12:01 am

Briwil wrote:

Well, unless they just happen to have been the very first customer to have ordered it from B&H, which I guess is possible...

I am on the "#2" list at B&H and If I see one more pic or UN-boxing video of an order received in the next 2 days I'm simply going to cancel my order, There is a reason and I will not explain until much later, but this "Favoritism" from any Retailer needs to stop, "First come, First Served" should be the Defacto #1 rule.

IVIaverick52

PostFri Aug 09, 2013 1:34 am

It'd be nice if they'd implement DNxHD in the pocket if only for those of us who use PC based systems. I already incorporate DNxHD in my workflow and it's worked well for me. Of course one simple transcoding step at the start isn't a big deal, but we know we are all a bit OCD and would prefer as few renders as possible.

Chris Quevedo

PostFri Aug 09, 2013 2:13 am

IVIaverick52 wrote:It'd be nice if they'd implement DNxHD in the pocket if only for those of us who use PC based systems. I already incorporate DNxHD in my workflow and it's worked well for me. Of course one simple transcoding step at the start isn't a big deal, but we know we are all a bit OCD and would prefer as few renders as possible.

are you saying that PC users can't use the pocket cause it only shoots prores right now? doesn't it ship with drivers to get prores working on PC?

Darryl Gregory

PostFri Aug 09, 2013 3:16 am

Digest ProRes in yes, Render ProRes out from PC no, closest is h.264, There is word that h.265 is near release by the end of 2013.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/x26 ... ,3565.html
http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/09/nhk- ... -8k-video/

Karl Lehmann

PostFri Aug 09, 2013 4:48 am

Darryl Gregory wrote:
Briwil wrote:

I am on the "#2" list at B&H and If I see one more pic or UN-boxing video of an order received in the next 2 days I'm simply going to cancel my order, There is a reason and I will not explain until much later, but this "Favoritism" from any Retailer needs to stop, "First come, First Served" should be the Defacto #1 rule.

How do you know where you are on the BH list? When I called the guy couldn't tell me where I was on the list.

Darryl Gregory

PostFri Aug 09, 2013 5:37 am

Karl Lehmann wrote:How do you know where you are on the BH list? When I called the guy couldn't tell me where I was on the list.

Really Can't say, But here is a hint..They had to find a B&H purchasing agent on the floor at NAB to get a skew number before they could take my order, and it was barely daylight outside at the time.

Pete Proniewicz-Brooks

PostFri Aug 09, 2013 8:25 am

Chris Daniel wrote:
IVIaverick52 wrote:It'd be nice if they'd implement DNxHD in the pocket if only for those of us who use PC based systems. I already incorporate DNxHD in my workflow and it's worked well for me. Of course one simple transcoding step at the start isn't a big deal, but we know we are all a bit OCD and would prefer as few renders as possible.

are you saying that PC users can't use the pocket cause it only shoots prores right now? doesn't it ship with drivers to get prores working on PC?

Premire Pro works with ProRes on PC, but only to read I recall. But there are a number of readily avaliable programs which will transcode from it on PC. (Resolve again will ingest ProRes on PC I recall but not write it.

Jace Ross

PostFri Aug 09, 2013 12:12 pm

frnz wrote:

Well that's mildly upsetting. I just got one of those automated backorder emails from B&H yesterday stating how they have not yet received a shipment from the manufacturer.
Sure looks nice and shiny though!

From memory B&H tweeted photos of the BMPCC with them about 2 weeks ago.

ungovernedreason

PostFri Aug 09, 2013 2:21 pm

There is no problem with prores on a PC. since DNxHD is practically the same thing just export it as that from resolve.
Jonathon E Norris
Former Canadian Military
Videographer
UnGoverned Productions

Code: Select all
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwXLMT1XKyk&list=PL3XHcImUakQ30c-Xzd96iq5YEyk36LP-Z&index=2

Sean Pfeiffer

PostFri Aug 09, 2013 5:53 pm

Jace Ross wrote:
From memory B&H tweeted photos of the BMPCC with them about 2 weeks ago.

Your memory serves you well, a quick google search turned up results confirming just as much. After hearing from someone in a thread in the announcements forum about a British reseller expecting to start sending out pocket cams on the 14th and the posted expected ship date for viewfactor's BMPCC camera accessories of the 16th, I'm guessing that most of the major resellers will start shipping the cameras out to customers by the middle of the month. I'm guessing(and hoping) that most of us should have our cameras by some time in september. Can hardly wait, I've got a spot in my pelican case saved just for my pocket cam.
Sean Pfeiffer

kellyb

PostFri Aug 09, 2013 7:45 pm

I don't know if it's April 1st or not, but I JUST GOT my shipping confirmation for my Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera!! I ordered the minute that B&H opened up preorders on APRIL 8, so I'm guessing I was near the top of the list. Just wanted to pass this along to those of you who were just like me a few hour ago – totally despondent. Now I'm just excited as hell!! To all who have ordered – hope your BMPCC ships soon!

Mahmud

PostFri Aug 09, 2013 8:07 pm

I first want to Grant and his team in this mount a firmware's professional global shutterit is very important for BMD and think about this firmware well and gradually will be to come up with the firmware to 60 frames

Mahmud

PostFri Aug 09, 2013 8:10 pm

shooting 90% from the hands

ungovernedreason

PostFri Aug 09, 2013 9:12 pm

Well here is a response emailded to me from AVShop.ca in canada.

Hey Jonathon,

The BMD shipment of the PCC consisted of 6 cameras across the US! They have promised more are coming soon, but haven't told us how many / when they will be shipping.
Jonathon E Norris
Former Canadian Military
Videographer
UnGoverned Productions

Code: Select all
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwXLMT1XKyk&list=PL3XHcImUakQ30c-Xzd96iq5YEyk36LP-Z&index=2

focuspulling

PostFri Aug 09, 2013 10:06 pm

ungovernedreason wrote:There is no problem with prores on a PC. since DNxHD is practically the same thing just export it as that from resolve.

Previously: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6796&p=69033#p68380

More responsive to the issue raised is that you can now export directly to DNxHD format from within Premiere Pro CC, but also, there's UT as I mentioned in the earlier post.

Vitorio Pagliuso

PostSat Aug 10, 2013 12:50 am

If you search in Vimeo for "Blackmagic pocket" the results in the first page is fully the videos edits whit the same images.
All these videos probably are make for the loyal pre orders! This is sadness, because these peoples deserves make videos whit the own images shot by the own Pocket Cam. :(

intensem6

PostSat Aug 17, 2013 10:17 am

Hello guys!

I´m a first time caller... I just wanted to ask you guys about an issue you covered earlier in this string. I´m thinking about getting the BMPC and the LiveLens to run all my Canon-L lenses. Then I see that people say that it does not give you autofocus on some Canon lenses.

But if I use the BMPC in a rig-setup with focus pull, does it really matter at all as I´m not using autofocus anyway? And I´m going to use the 85mm 1.2. Is it so that the focus ring on the 85mm just won´t work or...

Terribly sorry for such a n00b question.

Bjorn
Norway

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Aug 17, 2013 10:34 am

Focus ring on the 85/1.2 wont work with the redrock livelens adapter or the BMCC EF mount (i have all 3). So you CANNOT focus the lens at all. The livelens won't give any autofocus function from the pocket cam, but i don't think it's something i would use that often anyway (even after testing out MFT lenses that it did work on). Just not my style. :)
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

intensem6

PostSat Aug 17, 2013 10:45 am

Thanks CaptainHook! That cleared things for me :)

Lee Mackreath

PostSat Aug 17, 2013 11:53 am

more awful footage from the bmpcc

Lee Mackreath

PostSat Aug 17, 2013 11:57 am

and now noise issues!

Mac Jaeger

PostSat Aug 17, 2013 12:39 pm

LMACKREATH wrote:more awful footage from the bmpcc

Do you blame the camera? The footage is ungraded, shot entirely handheld, by someone who doesn't know hwo to do it right (or didn't care). The only "awfull" thing this video reveals about the camera is the small amount of rolling-shutter distortions.

christiangruner

PostSat Aug 17, 2013 1:40 pm

LMACKREATH wrote:more awful footage from the bmpcc

If you download the original, you can only download a 730p version... the clip seems highly compressed to me, not something to benchmark from at all.

Lee Mackreath

PostSat Aug 17, 2013 1:59 pm

I don't blame the camera at all .. But I wished by now someone out there with the cam would be able to post something decent with good grading that can help those of us decide if the camera can produce good enough footage to warrant a purchase.

Why but the camera and then just post ungraded hand held stuff like that which is no help to anyone and doesn't show anything!
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography