Blackmagic Cinema Camera Price Reduction

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

sebasti

Re: Blackmagic Cinema Camera Price Reduction

PostTue Aug 06, 2013 12:45 pm

Bird wrote:my reseller never got a email from BMCC so they will not refund it

If the price change is effective from the day email was sent, including undelivered cameras, then according to the logic your reseller will get refund from Blackmagic no matter they got the email or not. It could be that they just play stupid to make extra $1000. If they are official reseller from Blackmagic's list, then maybe you should contact Blackmagic directly and see what happened. If they refunded the difference to reseller and reseller still refuses to give you the refund, then 1) It might be the end of that reseller selling BM products 2) You can complain about the reseller to the consumer rights protection association which would probably force them to pay you and fine them for violating your rights.

But if you got your camera only after the announcement you could have also chosen not to take it. If you took it home then the civilized countries usually have 10 or 14 days return right. If your country doesn't have that then you made a mistake when you accepted to take the camera with the old price. If the reseller is not official reseller of Blackmagic then they probably can't get their own cost refunded

Terry Frechette

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Aug 06, 2013 6:09 pm

John:

There is no truth to that very strange rumor. The Cinema Camera EF and MFT are very much alive and available.

Terry

Dmitry Kitsov

PostTue Aug 06, 2013 6:10 pm

Brian@202020 wrote:Just got confirmation over the phone from Markertek that both the BMCC EF and BMCC MFT are discontinued by Blackmagic Design.

I guess Markertek will not be enjoying the dealership status from now on, if they truly said that.
Dmitry Kitsov

Hampus Lager

PostTue Aug 06, 2013 6:32 pm

You people scared the living XXXX out of me! haha

EDIT: I think most people knew what I wrote, but just amazed that it's considered swearing and I got censored. We're I come from even kids say it and no one consider it something to be censored. Looks like it's time to step into the TARDIS, DeLorean or whatever time traveling vehicle you have and go to the 50s. As for me, time for some youtube quality time with George Carlin! :D
Last edited by Hampus Lager on Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Christine Peterson

PostTue Aug 06, 2013 6:39 pm

Dmitry Kitsov wrote:
Brian@202020 wrote:Just got confirmation over the phone from Markertek that both the BMCC EF and BMCC MFT are discontinued by Blackmagic Design.

I guess Markertek will not be enjoying the dealership status from now on, if they truly said that.

Markertek is a great reseller for us. We're investigating the situation, but I can assure you that we definitely intend to keep selling the original Cinema Camera for the foreseeable future.
Christine Peterson

(Previously Community Relations Manager for Blackmagic Design)

rick.lang

PostTue Aug 06, 2013 6:50 pm

hempo22 wrote:You people scared the living XXXX out of me! haha

EDIT: I think most people knew what I wrote, but just amazed that it's considered swearing and I got censored. We're I come from even kids say it and no one consider it something to be censored. Looks like it's time to step into the TARDIS, DeLorean or whatever time traveling vehicle you have and go to the 50s. As for me, time for some youtube quality time with George Carlin! :D

Even your handle here (if thought to be a reference to hemp) might be censored in the 50s!

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Brian@202020

PostTue Aug 06, 2013 6:52 pm

Terry emailed me asking for the name of the person I talked to at Markertek. The reason I called them was to see about a partial refund due to the price decrease. I received my BMCC MFT about 6 weeks ago, but it was at BMD getting a battery replaced for almost 3 weeks of it. I figured a partial refund was a long shot, and I'm totally fine with what I paid, but I figure why not try. This is when they told me BMD discontinued the BMCC models and they couldn't give me any refund. I asked if they (Markertek) was discontinuing them or BMD. They said BMD.

Christine Peterson

PostTue Aug 06, 2013 7:00 pm

Brian@202020 wrote:Terry emailed me asking for the name of the person I talked to at Markertek. The reason I called them was to see about a partial refund due to the price decrease. I received my BMCC MFT about 6 weeks ago, but it was at BMD getting a battery replaced for almost 3 weeks of it. I figured a partial refund was a long shot, and I'm totally fine with what I paid, but I figure why not try. This is when they told me BMD discontinued the BMCC models and they couldn't give me any refund. I asked if they (Markertek) was discontinuing them or BMD. They said BMD.

It's a he said/she said situation at this point. Regardless, we are not discontinuing the camera and when we spoke to Markertek today, they seemed delighted to continue selling them.
Christine Peterson

(Previously Community Relations Manager for Blackmagic Design)

Terry Frechette

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Aug 06, 2013 7:01 pm

Hempo:

Aaa, George Carlin's 7 words. I remember having deep discussions on that in my Comm Law classes.

But we run a swear free forum. For every person that is not offended, there will 2 that are. So no swearing is the rule we live by.

You would find it funny some of the conversations me and Christine have trying to determine if some words are curse words.

Terry

PS: Please start using a real name. I am slowing working through everyone to remind them of that.

Brian@202020

PostTue Aug 06, 2013 7:06 pm

Christine Peterson wrote:
Brian@202020 wrote:Terry emailed me asking for the name of the person I talked to at Markertek. The reason I called them was to see about a partial refund due to the price decrease. I received my BMCC MFT about 6 weeks ago, but it was at BMD getting a battery replaced for almost 3 weeks of it. I figured a partial refund was a long shot, and I'm totally fine with what I paid, but I figure why not try. This is when they told me BMD discontinued the BMCC models and they couldn't give me any refund. I asked if they (Markertek) was discontinuing them or BMD. They said BMD.

It's a he said/she said situation at this point. Regardless, we are not discontinuing the camera and when we spoke to Markertek today, they seemed delighted to continue selling them.

I am glad you are not discontinuing them. I wonder if the person I talked to knows the craziness he stirred up? I do :)

Hampus Lager

PostTue Aug 06, 2013 7:44 pm

Terry Frechette wrote:You would find it funny some of the conversations me and Christine have trying to determine if some words are curse words.

I can imagine. I'm from Sweden and didn't know it could be such a big difference what considered swearing when the Swedish word for the word I used is so similar and means exactly the same thing. I say what Craig Ferguson says: "It's a slang word for... apples." hehe

Real name fixed, didn't realise I still had my nick here. I use that nick on all forums so I'm a victim of routine I guess :lol:

John Bartman

PostTue Aug 06, 2013 8:14 pm

There are a lot of posts being removed from these threads. Why?

Is it time to start an independant BM forum?
Last edited by John Bartman on Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dmitry Kitsov

PostTue Aug 06, 2013 8:15 pm

John Bartman wrote:There are a lot of posts being removed from these threads. Why?

Out of topic posts?
Dmitry Kitsov

earl riddick

PostTue Aug 06, 2013 8:41 pm

Jace Ross wrote:
Chris Daniel wrote:
Jace Ross wrote:
Uh huh, what's that supposed to mean?
How is it disloyal to lower your price after a products release? I honestly cannot believe the brat attitude of some people on here. As if their pre-order makes them loyalists that should get the lowest price possible for eternity. You pre-ordered a camera, you knew the price and unless you are a few cents short of a dollar (if you know what I mean) you'd understand that sales/discounts/price drops happen. When they happen is irrelevant.

that's getting a bit unkind there. if people feel disappointed then we don't need to be rude to them. i also don't fully understand the mentality, but that doesn't mean we have to be like this :-(

I'm not sure what you mean, I never intended to be rude. Just honest. If it was a bit blunt, that was intentional, I'd like people to see how absurd they are acting from an outside perspective.

actually it was rude and i haven't personally attacked any individuals or groups in ONE of my posts, im simply conveying my opinion. If you have an opinion on the subject fair enough please voice it but don't attack others. If you had read what i had written i said it wasn't about the money the fact that i have only just received my camera after such a long long wait to find it reduced within weeks is simply the final straw. I have been in this industry for a long time and have seen many companies get things wrong but never so prolifically and with such lack of apology. That's where my gripe lies. My opinion was simply that i cannot trust a company that has made so many wrong decisions from the point of view of customer after care. Doesn't seem unfair to me !!!!

PaulDelVecchio

PostTue Aug 06, 2013 8:49 pm

Terry Frechette wrote:
You would find it funny some of the conversations me and Christine have trying to determine if some words are curse words.

Terry

I could make a list for you... but... uh... it might get censored.
Paul Del Vecchio - Director/Producer
http://www.pauldv.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pdelvecchio814
http://www.facebook.com/pauldv
http://instagram.com/pdelv
Twitter: @pauldv

Jace Ross

PostTue Aug 06, 2013 9:56 pm

jj tokenslot wrote:[quote="Jace Ross"

I'm not sure what you mean, I never intended to be rude. Just honest. If it was a bit blunt, that was intentional, I'd like people to see how absurd they are acting from an outside perspective.

actually it was rude and i haven't personally attacked any individuals or groups in ONE of my posts, im simply conveying my opinion. If you have an opinion on the subject fair enough please voice it but don't attack others. If you had read what i had written i said it wasn't about the money the fact that i have only just received my camera after such a long long wait to find it reduced within weeks is simply the final straw. I have been in this industry for a long time and have seen many companies get things wrong but never so prolifically and with such lack of apology. That's where my gripe lies. My opinion was simply that i cannot trust a company that has made so many wrong decisions from the point of view of customer after care. Doesn't seem unfair to me !!!![/quote]

Perhaps you should read my post before commenting on it. I never attacked anyone, I stated some people, without pointing fingers, have a very poor view of the situation and then followed it with my reasoning.

I don't see how bmd have done wrong with the price drop. You can't expect a preorder to be the lowest price irrelevant of when the cam arrived (unless it arrives after the price drop).
BMPCC, FD Canon 28mm f2.8, Tokina 80-200mm F4, Tamron 70-300mm f4 C Canon J6x12 MFT SLR Magic 17mm T1.6, Sigma 19mm f2.8, Samyang 7.5mm f3.5
Rode VideoMic, Viewfactor Cage/Handle/Grip/Perspex backing

Peter Poulos

PostWed Aug 07, 2013 2:36 am

my dealer has 10 bmcc in his back stock room, i purchased one on freaking thursday the day before the announcement. i called friday when i found out and they said they would figure it out and call BMD. They have a 3 day return policy on opened items and of course i opened it on thursday. The store told me they are calling BMD and demanding that they get reimbursed for each camera they have in stock before they can knock off 1,000 off of my monthly payments for the camera. It is now passed the 3-day return policy so if they do not get reimbursed and my 1,000 does not come off then there is going to be some serious issues.

John Bartman

PostWed Aug 07, 2013 4:41 am

Peter917 wrote:my dealer has 10 bmcc in his back stock room, i purchased one on freaking thursday the day before the announcement. i called friday when i found out and they said they would figure it out and call BMD. They have a 3 day return policy on opened items and of course i opened it on thursday. The store told me they are calling BMD and demanding that they get reimbursed for each camera they have in stock before they can knock off 1,000 off of my monthly payments for the camera. It is now passed the 3-day return policy so if they do not get reimbursed and my 1,000 does not come off then there is going to be some serious issues.

Unfortunately I think BM are not looking back, only forwards...
and as discussed in many posts on this forum, an attitude which is detrimental to building trust.

Peter Poulos

PostWed Aug 07, 2013 5:12 am

See i did not pre-order i purchased the camera from a store with them already in stock the day before the price drop. i had better be given the 1,000 price cut by the store or there is going to be a huge problem. them telling me it will be taken care of caused me to lose the chance to return the item and the only reason i did not return it was due to the 15% charge restock fee. I feel i deserve the price cut and the fact that i was told it will be taken care of by the store in which i purchased needs to reimburse me regardless of what black magic does with them.

Thomas Schumacher

PostWed Aug 07, 2013 7:50 am

Peter917 wrote:See i did not pre-order i purchased the camera from a store with them already in stock the day before the price drop. i had better be given the 1,000 price cut by the store or there is going to be a huge problem. them telling me it will be taken care of caused me to lose the chance to return the item and the only reason i did not return it was due to the 15% charge restock fee. I feel i deserve the price cut and the fact that i was told it will be taken care of by the store in which i purchased needs to reimburse me regardless of what black magic does with them.

That really sucks, I hope you get this sorted out!
I'm glad I live in a country where you can return things within 14 days and get your full money back. Having said that although I ordered the BMC at a German reseller with no deposit at all as well but I finally bought it in Australia in April, so I might have ended up in the same trap than you...
But rest assured, once some times has passed, you have put the Sigma 18-35 on your BMC and played around with it, you'll forget about the trouble and after a thousand minutes of shot material it's only a Dollar more per minute - that's how I tend to see it meanwhile.

Good luck!
https://www.gernemehrfilm.de/

earl riddick

PostWed Aug 07, 2013 10:26 am

Jace Ross wrote:
jj tokenslot wrote:[quote="Jace Ross"

actually it was rude and i haven't personally attacked any individuals or groups in ONE of my posts, im simply conveying my opinion. If you have an opinion on the subject fair enough please voice it but don't attack others. If you had read what i had written i said it wasn't about the money the fact that i have only just received my camera after such a long long wait to find it reduced within weeks is simply the final straw. I have been in this industry for a long time and have seen many companies get things wrong but never so prolifically and with such lack of apology. That's where my gripe lies. My opinion was simply that i cannot trust a company that has made so many wrong decisions from the point of view of customer after care. Doesn't seem unfair to me !!!!

Perhaps you should read my post before commenting on it. I never attacked anyone, I stated some people, without pointing fingers, have a very poor view of the situation and then followed it with my reasoning.

I don't see how bmd have done wrong with the price drop. You can't expect a preorder to be the lowest price irrelevant of when the cam arrived (unless it arrives after the price drop).[/quote]

I read your post very carefully actually.

"actually it was rude and i haven't personally attacked any individuals or GROUPS" (quoting me). I consider "some people" (quoting you) to be firmly aimed at the GROUP of people that are conveying there feeling about how upset they are about this latest revelation. Thats the GROUP you are personally attacking with your description of "brat like behavior" and considering the comment was directly in reply to one of my comments i consider it aimed at me as part of said group. As for your comment "I don't see how bmd have done wrong with the price drop. You can't expect a preorder to be the lowest price irrelevant of when the cam arrived (unless it arrives after the price drop)." im not sure what you still dont get about "its NOT about the money". as i clearly said, it wasn't about the money the fact that i have only just received my camera after such a long long wait to find it reduced within weeks is simply the final straw, after a year and a bit of problem after problem after problem. I have been in this industry for a long time and have seen many companies get things wrong but never so prolifically and with such lack of apology. That's where my gripe lies.

John Bartman

PostWed Aug 07, 2013 11:17 am

jj tokenslot wrote:
... I have been in this industry for a long time and have seen many companies get things wrong but never so prolifically and with such lack of apology.

Its the silence on the one hand and the "we want to empower the people" on the other that short circuits.

Darryl Gregory

PostWed Aug 07, 2013 11:42 am

Terry Frechette wrote:Hempo:

Aaa, George Carlin's 7 words. I remember having deep discussions on that in my Comm Law classes.

But we run a swear free forum. For every person that is not offended, there will 2 that are. So no swearing is the rule we live by.

Terry

PS: Please start using a real name. I am slowing working through everyone to remind them of that.

Great! and since I'm nearly as old as George Carlin (but still kicking) is there any chance you can ask Christine to remove my 2 warnings? I think it has been enough time, and I have learned my lesson, I Just wish it was you giving out Pre-Warnings before I got the real (This counts) warning below my name, this stigma of "Warnings: 2" below my "REAL" user name really stinks, Not that I didn't deserve it at the time..., but it is a stigma that seems just a tad abusive now after all this time.

Thanks
Last edited by Darryl Gregory on Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:55 am, edited 3 times in total.

Aaron Scheiner

PostWed Aug 07, 2013 11:52 am

lol Darryl, I've always thought those warnings suit you :P . You could just delete your account and re-register ?

I must admit I'm still irritated with the price reduction... but I'm over it now, I figure I'll have those cameras for long enough that the price reduction won't matter... and they are still awesome for what I bought them for. An engineering friend of mine also gave me a hard time, saying that it is the price an early adopter pays...

ANNND, I wrote to BMD and I got a response from Grant Petty. Normally I'd put it down to marketing but the candid nature of the letter and some other factors imply that it was real (not that I expect a letter from a CEO of every company I'm displeased with, but it is impressive). I've asked for permission to post it here but so far I haven't received a response. I'm not sure if it'd be unethical for me to post it here without permission.

Darryl Gregory

PostWed Aug 07, 2013 12:21 pm

Aaron Scheiner wrote:lol Darryl, I've always thought those warnings suit you :P . You could just delete your account and re-register ?

I must admit I'm still irritated with the price reduction... but I'm over it now, I figure I'll have those cameras for long enough that the price reduction won't matter... and they are still awesome for what I bought them for. An engineering friend of mine also gave me a hard time, saying that it is the price an early adopter pays...

ANNND, I wrote to BMD and I got a response from Grant Petty. Normally I'd put it down to marketing but the candid nature of the letter and some other factors imply that it was real (not that I expect a letter from a CEO of every company I'm displeased with, but it is impressive). I've asked for permission to post it here but so far I haven't received a response. I'm not sure if it'd be unethical for me to post it here without permission.

You are correct that having "2 Warnings" suites me just fine, since at least one of them was about me, well being me..., and I don't care what people think, I speak my mind, and I feel this is important at my age, This lets everyone know who I am from The Get Go!
I'm not kissing butt to get approval, I tell it like it is.

Now about your dilemma?
I suggest you let it go!
For the most part I (or maybe We) do not care what your letter contained,
and we certainly do not need anymore drama, I think the price reduction was a CEO's job,
and I don't care why Grant did it, I only approve that he did it, I don't care or want to know the "Details" behind his decision, I just like the fact he did reduce the price by $1000.00
This should be a celebratory time, and yet we have people whining and complaining,
I just don't understand how lowering the price of this "Amazing" camera by $1000.00 can be construed as anything more than a Gift!, And a message from Grant telling us he appreciates us all, I'm just confused by all the people complaining, And I hope this does not make Grant angry when he thinks about any future rebates or price reductions, Some of you just can't see what an Awesome Gesture this is.

Aaron Scheiner

PostWed Aug 07, 2013 12:24 pm

And you wonder why those warnings are still there ?

Darryl Gregory

PostWed Aug 07, 2013 12:29 pm

Aaron Scheiner wrote:And you wonder why those warnings are still there ?

I never wonder, I know!
What is your excuse?

Aaron Scheiner

PostWed Aug 07, 2013 12:38 pm

I think this has run it's course (not to mention off topic), this will be my last response in relation to your warnings.

Darryl Gregory

PostWed Aug 07, 2013 12:40 pm

Aaron Scheiner wrote:I think this has run it's course (not to mention off topic), this will be my last response in relation to your warnings.

No need to even reply, I shut the door an hour ago.

Thanks Aaron :lol:

John Bartman

PostWed Aug 07, 2013 1:19 pm

Back to topic?

i.e Blackmagic Cinema Camera Price Reduction

wipeman

PostWed Aug 07, 2013 1:48 pm

First post!

I'm one of those on the waiting list for the pocket camera but am sorely tempted by the price drop on the cinema camera. It all boils down to how much I'm need the increased portability of the pocket camera (incl. the swappable battery) and its active mount. I own no lenses at the moment so have no constraints there.

I'm unlikely to be using the camera casually - e.g. having it hung round my neck when on holiday - rather it would always be used in a planned manner for solo music recordings, interviews, short films etc. Hence I'm thinking I might be wise to consider the Cinema camera (full software versions and all).

All rather confusing so I'm secretly quite glad there's been a delay in the pocket camera so I can think long and hard about this!

stoiqa

PostWed Aug 07, 2013 8:27 pm

i get the price drop, and the revolutionary thought behind it.

Now, if I wanna get the pocket camera or the 4k bmc, should I wait couple of months after it got released /// for price to drop?
Last edited by stoiqa on Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sean mclennan

PostWed Aug 07, 2013 8:43 pm

wipeman wrote:First post!

I'm one of those on the waiting list for the pocket camera but am sorely tempted by the price drop on the cinema camera. It all boils down to how much I'm need the increased portability of the pocket camera (incl. the swappable battery) and its active mount. I own no lenses at the moment so have no constraints there.

I'm unlikely to be using the camera casually - e.g. having it hung round my neck when on holiday - rather it would always be used in a planned manner for solo music recordings, interviews, short films etc. Hence I'm thinking I might be wise to consider the Cinema camera (full software versions and all).

All rather confusing so I'm secretly quite glad there's been a delay in the pocket camera so I can think long and hard about this!

To be clear, the BMCC has an active mount if you get the EF mount.

To be the devil's advocate for a second....unless you're working with 4K, I don't think you need the full software version. The free version would be fine for you. So really, camera to camera comparison...either one would work for your intended use. SD cards are cheaper than SSDs. Pocket camera batteries are cheaper. Most of the accessories that have been released are also cheaper.

Sooooo, why spend the money on the BMCC? If you don't have any lenses already, get the Pocket camera.

wipeman

PostThu Aug 08, 2013 8:45 am

sean mclennan wrote:

To be the devil's advocate for a second....unless you're working with 4K, I don't think you need the full software version. The free version would be fine for you. So really, camera to camera comparison...either one would work for your intended use. SD cards are cheaper than SSDs. Pocket camera batteries are cheaper. Most of the accessories that have been released are also cheaper.

Sooooo, why spend the money on the BMCC? If you don't have any lenses already, get the Pocket camera.

That's pretty much what I've concluded! I think getting the pocket camera lets me set foot into the world of pro equipment where I can learn more about what I might need in the longer term. Thanks for your advice :)

Pete Proniewicz-Brooks

PostThu Aug 08, 2013 9:02 am

sean mclennan wrote:

Well if your looking to submit to somewhere that would like a proper 2k copy, not a 1080p one then possibly the full version might suit better. (noth that you'd lose much in that upscale but still).

SSDs are fairly comparable to the fast end of SD cards these days, don't forget for RAW at least you're into the really expensive end of SD cards. Given how picky the BMCC is for SSDs it wouldnt be suprising to see the pocket not playing nice with a fair few SDs.

The Down rezzing of the 2.5k will also give a slightly better result.

This can all be countered by the price and portability of the pocket, how much that teeny bit extra of picture quality is worth to him, and what he's looking at lens wise (the pocket with a super 16mm sensor is in many ways a better fit for its lens mount that the BMCC for either of its).

Luctantem

PostThu Aug 08, 2013 12:02 pm

can I shoot feature film for theatrical projection if I go for bmcc 2.5k and also what would be over all price difference between Pocket cam and BMCC EF for all accessories, rigs and storage, work flow?

or I just go for pocket and upscale to 2k theatrical projection.

wipeman

PostThu Aug 08, 2013 12:14 pm

Thanks for your replies. As I'm still at the learning stage in filmmaking then I think I should get the most versatile (not to mention cheaper) option and start playing.

Rakesh Malik

PostThu Aug 08, 2013 4:38 pm

Theodore Prentice wrote:Should have kept the price the same, use the profit to pay more techs to work on firmware fixes and updates.

It's a common misconception that adding developers to a development team will speed the release of a piece of software.

In other news, you can't reduce the time it takes to carry a baby to term by adding women.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

bhook

PostThu Aug 08, 2013 4:59 pm

Tamerlin wrote:
Theodore Prentice wrote:Should have kept the price the same, use the profit to pay more techs to work on firmware fixes and updates.

It's a common misconception that adding developers to a development team will speed the release of a piece of software.

In other news, you can't reduce the time it takes to carry a baby to term by adding women.

Doesn't that logic fly in the face of teams, networks, clouds? A baby only has one umbilical cord but a SW development team can all collaborate over the same piece of firmware from their homes (or most anywhere on the planet for that matter).

Aaron Scheiner

PostThu Aug 08, 2013 5:02 pm

The performance improvement for an increase in developers isn't linear. Adding developers to a project does speed up development.

Retconaddict

PostThu Aug 08, 2013 5:26 pm

Tamerlin wrote:

That doesn't make any sense at all.

DavidJames

PostThu Aug 08, 2013 5:33 pm

Retconaddict wrote:
Tamerlin wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooks's_law
thekreative
www.thekreative.com

rick.lang

PostThu Aug 08, 2013 6:05 pm

Retconaddict wrote:
Tamerlin wrote:

The Mythical Man-Month is an illuminating read.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

bhook

PostThu Aug 08, 2013 6:10 pm

thekreative wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooks's_law

According to Brooks himself, the law is an "outrageous oversimplification",

John Bartman

PostThu Aug 08, 2013 6:16 pm

Maybe their are too many people involved already?
(At least when it comes to building a strategy for a dedicated supporter base)

Pete Proniewicz-Brooks

PostThu Aug 08, 2013 7:56 pm

mhood wrote:
thekreative wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooks's_law

According to Brooks himself, the law is an "outrageous oversimplification",

Holds reasonably true in many applications though. Adding more people to a team may just slow it down (training them up, familiarizing them with the project takes time and reduces the productivity of the rest of the team while its happening).

Then there are tasks where the limit isn't the number of workers.

It of course isn't true in every application, but far to many people seem to believe that just adding people to a job will make it go faster.

John Oliva

Loyal Blackmagic customers angry abou $1000 price drop for c

PostFri Aug 09, 2013 5:56 pm

Blackmagic has decided that they are offering NOTHING to it's loyal customers who purchased the BMCC at the $2995 price point. I have only had mine for less tha two months and they reduce the price 33% for new cutomers ONLY. The new price is $1995 or $1000 less than a good customer might have paid for it as little as three weeks ago. It has left a real sour taste with me to know that I basically paid $3000 for a camera that's only worth $2000. As an owner of a production company that buys quite a bit of equipment I will work around purchasing Blackmagic products in the future. It won't be that hard to work around them because there are good companies like Canon, AJA, and Sony who actually care about customer loyalty and would never pull a stunt like this without doing something for the existing cutomer. UNBELIEVABLE... I though Blackmagic was a good company... guess I was wrong.

David Chapman

Re: Loyal Blackmagic customers angry abou $1000 price drop f

PostFri Aug 09, 2013 5:59 pm

Perhaps you could contact them directly to see what they could do for you. Although, a friendly call would get you more than a rant.

You still have the full version of Resolve which will get he free upgrade to Resolve 10. That's something. And you should have made money with the camera for the last 2 months. Unless it's a hobby camera.
David Chapman
Just another creative dude with a camera.

John Oliva

PostFri Aug 09, 2013 6:08 pm

I started out with a friendly call David. It got me nowhere. I thought the same thing..you catch alot more flies with sugar than vinegar... I was friendly and professional on the call and asked nicely if they could offer me anything and the answer was no. So....

Sean Pfeiffer

PostFri Aug 09, 2013 6:13 pm

Look, I know you're annoyed, but this is hardly an unprecedented thing. Companies rarely announce ahead of time when they will make a major price reduction in their products, so anyone who bought a PS3 right before a price drop has a similar experience, but it is a risk we all have to deal with. If you wanna get mad at them, get mad at how they handled the release of the BMCC, not at the price reduction.

If you are buying something and not expecting it to depreciate in value afterward, you should be looking into stocks and bonds, not camera bodies.

John Oliva wrote: It won't be that hard to work around them because there are good companies like Canon, AJA, and Sony who actually care about customer loyalty and would never pull a stunt like this without doing something for the existing cutomer. UNBELIEVABLE... I though Blackmagic was a good company... guess I was wrong.

Yes, because these companies would never do something to screw over its consumer base like crippling their less expensive cameras so that we are forced to shell out tons of cash for vastly more expensive high end ones.

Also, good luck avoiding Blackmagic in favor of companies like Canon, I'm sure you are going to have absolutely no problem spending tens of thousands of dollars that you didn't need to on camera equipment.
Sean Pfeiffer
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography