Could this be spam?

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

ChefJohnny

Could this be spam?

PostTue Nov 03, 2020 5:29 pm

I quick history. I am a YouTuber and was contacted by Maya@davinciresolve.site . She asked if I was interested in using the new Resolve 17 and advertising for them on my channel. Well here is the strange part. She said to contact her using Whats App and the links on her email were not active. When I coppied and pasted them they did take me to blackmagic and the Resolve17 site. The link to a PDF for the advertisers agreement was a google link and google says it does not exist. My computer tells me to not open because it is dangerous and could be phishing software. She sent a zipped file for me to download. It is supposed to be the 17 to test. What do yall think. I do not think this is legit.

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

Re: Could this be spam?

PostTue Nov 03, 2020 6:17 pm

This is not a legit contact so do not click any links or download any files.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

ChefJohnny

PostTue Nov 03, 2020 6:22 pm

Thanks I kind of figured that. Just wanted to confirm. I do get offers from companies all the time, but this one seemed different. Again Thanks

jamedia

PostMon Nov 16, 2020 6:52 pm

ChefJohnny wrote:I quick history. I am a YouTuber and was contacted by Maya@davinciresolve.site .

it's blackmagicdesign.com however you might want to ping BMD to alert them some one is using davinciresolve.site and pretending to be BMD which is, in many jurisdictions, an offense. BMD should be able to trace the owners of the domain.
The other thing is if you check the reply email address. The "displayed" address may not be the same as the actual address it is sending to.

ChefJohnny wrote: She asked if I was interested in using the new Resolve 17 and advertising for them on my channel. Well here is the strange part. She said to contact her using Whats App and the links on her email were not active.

Never seen a company working on Whatsapp like this. They use email

ChefJohnny wrote: When I coppied and pasted them they did take me to blackmagic and the Resolve17 site. The link to a PDF for the advertisers agreement was a google link and google says it does not exist.

Normally PDF's are emailed as attachments. However check that it is doc.pdf and not doc.pdf .exe which I have seen.

ChefJohnny wrote: My computer tells me to not open because it is dangerous and could be phishing software.
She sent a zipped file for me to download. It is supposed to be the 17 to test. What do yall think. I do not think this is legit.

The BMD Website has the download links for the resolve, resolve studio and Beta versions. They are far too big to email. Even in a Zip file.
www.JAmedia.uk
[AMD Ryzen 5950X 16 Core CPU | 128GB Ram | NVIDIA 3080TI 12GB ]
[MB ASUS ProArt B550| C Drive:; 1TB M2 980 Pro | D Drive; 2TB M2 970 EVO ]
[ Win 11 home |Resolve Studio V18.6 | Speed Editor via USB | Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen| ]

Return to Off-Topic