Render Queue Groups and Tweaks for managing large cues

• Author

Bennett Killmer

PostFri Sep 18, 2020 12:00 pm

Working in trailers and promos, each promo of an HDR/SDR delivery might have 16 render items and then there might be 20 different promos in a campaign - so I quickly get into the hundreds of items in the render queue.

Resolve is amazing in that I can keep these and then easily re-render an entire set of 16 outputs if an earlier delivery has a revision - so it's a huge benefit to keep all of the items in the render queue and not delete them.

I wish that I could:

1) Group and reorder the items in the render cue. So that I can have a group that contains multiple items for easier organization.

2) Point a render item to a different timeline. Often I need to make a new timeline for a revision, which then forces me to create a new render item that now is at the end of the cue instead of next to the other related items. Also - if there are alternate versions of a timeline and a different one is chosen, I wish I could just right click on the render cue item and point it to a different sequence to use.

3) Show the entire filename when hovering over it. The delivery filenames tend to be long strings that look almost identical and it's awesome that Resolve shows you the END of the filename, but it can still be difficult to confirm the filename and the timeline name.

4) Make a preset group of render items just like you can make render settings presets. Maybe one way this might work is that I could build a render queue and select the 16 items, right click and choose "make render group preset". Then later I could hit this preset to dump 16 render items into the queue that I can then point to each timeline I want each one to use. This would vastly simplify repetitive, complex deliveries. If this is possible already in some way using scripting, and anyone out there would be interested in helping me - don't hesitate to reach out!

Thanks!!

Bennett

Jim Simon

Re: Render Queue Groups and Tweaks for managing large cues

PostFri Sep 18, 2020 3:04 pm

I like 1 and 3.

Seems like 2 would be obviated by 1, though.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Mel Matsuoka

PostSat Sep 19, 2020 6:39 pm

I totally agree with this. Folder groups and rearranging the order of queue items are pretty important to have.

#3 appears to be yet another one of the numerous areas in Resolve that ends up being a casualty of its inflexible UI design. The text truncation issue is also a big problem in the Media Management tool as well, although at least it now has a tooltip that exposes the entire pathname, which is better than nothing.
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 12.5.1, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

DeFusion

PostMon Nov 16, 2020 2:05 pm

How can you upvote this?

Jim Simon

PostMon Nov 16, 2020 6:57 pm

You just did Devin.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests