Just Announced: Sony FX6 Full Frame

Got something to discuss that's not about Blackmagic products? Then check out the Off-Topic forum!
  • Author

robedge

Just Announced: Sony FX6 Full Frame

PostTue Nov 17, 2020 6:02 pm

US$6,000 body only.

CVP:

ProAv has a live session with Philip Bloom tomorrow:

The screen capture is from B&H's e-mail.

Sony FX6.jpg
Sony FX6.jpg (259.8 KiB) Viewed 4271 times
Video Cameras: iPhone, Pocket 4K
Microphones: Schoeps, DPA
Audio Recorder: Sound Devices

jallen0

Re: Just Announced: Sony FX6 Full Frame

PostTue Nov 17, 2020 7:39 pm

Meh. Compared to the A7siii the benefits do not outweigh the negatives.
2019 MacPro OS 12.1, 3.2GHz 16 Core, 160GB Mem, 4TB Drive, 8TB Internal Sonnet Raid, Dual Radeon Pro W5700X 16GB
LG UF 5k, 27" Tbolt Display, 55" LG C8
Resolve Edit Keyboard, Mini Panel, US 4K Mini
Resolve Studio Ver. 17.4.3
Desktop Video 12.1

Que Thompson

PostTue Nov 17, 2020 8:37 pm

I'm pretty much sold on this. Blackmagic has until February to show me something or I'm jumping ship. It's been wonderful, but I need the conveniences (internal nd, servo, autofocus) that this camera offers. I'd been looking very hard at the FX9 and this may have just tipped the scales. I'd love the see the 12k sensor in a cube like body (ZCAM), but I just don't know if we'll get it. S-Cinetone is very nice as well. The major downside is that I'd need to buy lenses to use the autofocus. I've been using primes and loving them most of my time behind the camera, so this could make it very difficult to make this move. The 16-35 t3.1 is nearly the cost of the body :lol:

Adam Langdon

PostTue Nov 17, 2020 8:54 pm

Que Thompson wrote:I'm pretty much sold on this. Blackmagic has until February to show me something or I'm jumping ship. It's been wonderful, but I need the conveniences (internal nd, servo, autofocus) that this camera offers. I'd been looking very hard at the FX9 and this may have just tipped the scales. I'd love the see the 12k sensor in a cube like body (ZCAM), but I just don't know if we'll get it. S-Cinetone is very nice as well. The major downside is that I'd need to buy lenses to use the autofocus. I've been using primes and loving them most of my time behind the camera, so this could make it very difficult to make this move. The 16-35 t3.1 is nearly the cost of the body :lol:

I'm tempted to jump the BMD ship too, but to RED.
The bigger manufactures are giving us a TON of new prosumer/professional-eque models to choose from and the competition is only going to get crazier.
URSA Mini 4.6k & Pocket 6k Pro - SLR Magic APO Microprimes - Blazar Remus Anamorphics - Aputure Lighting

Ellory Yu

PostTue Nov 17, 2020 9:33 pm

I'm tempted as well to jump ship and replace both my UMP G2 and P6K for a FX6. I' sure I can still use my EF mount lenses with it using an adapter but that wouldn't do any good with the AF. The downside I have been thinking is having to get new lenses for AF.

I wish that BMD will, instead of competing in the resolution war, make devices that allow the pocket and URSA 4.6K G2 to be more electronically controlled and networkable. That will give new least of life to them.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Mary Miron

PostWed Nov 18, 2020 8:55 am

I'm tempted as well.

What I love about Blackmagic cameras is the look. If all other things were equal, I would always go with Blackmagic, even over all ARRI cameras and Sony Venice. But they are not. Looking at Canon's and Sony's newest offerings, the image is decent enough and the practicality of them is ridiculously good. Price used to be a selling point for Blackmagic cameras, too, but now it's more even. I mean, Pocket 4K/6K plus all the accessories you need can easily climb into FX6 territory and you'll still have no usable autofocus or eND or other real-filmmakers-don't-use-stuff-like-that goodies.

Will be interesting to see what Blackmagic do next. My prediction is the G2 sensor in a more gimbal-friendly form factor (Z Cam) with internal ND. But not many people predicted the 12K UMP or the 6K pocket so it's probable that Blackmagic will surprise us all again.

robedge

PostWed Nov 18, 2020 4:29 pm

Here's the ProAv/Philip Bloom live session. The stream starts at 12:31:

Filmobsession

PostWed Nov 18, 2020 5:07 pm

Sony are technically great when it comes to hardware innovation.

It’s true, Resolution is sickly overrated.

Form/functionality and quality pixels is the way forward, IMO.

I think Grant Petty’s new innovative sensor is a step in the right direction, He now needs to find it a better home.

... it’ll come 2021

robedge

PostWed Nov 18, 2020 6:31 pm

B&H demo of the first lens in Sony's new Cinema series. It's 16-35mm, T/3.1 E-mount. Price US$5,500.

Shot with the FX6 camera:

Olivier Burri

PostWed Nov 18, 2020 8:04 pm

I do not understand the fake hype around this camera (which is an a7sIII repackaged with a subpar menu system).

You see all these British mercenaries so-called filmmakers (including Ph. B.) who are parading one after one demonstrating their paid for jobs.

At least, Blackmagic, like RED, has the look, the RAW and the workflow (DVR16, not RED though).

Sony colors suck unless you aspire to a 70's tube show revival look. Proof, courtesy of Matteo Bertoli:

I'm still dreaming of an 8K BMPCC with a better battery system and decent BMD customer service, at half the price of this FX6.

Grant, if you're reading....
Olivier G. Burri

Filmobsession

PostWed Nov 18, 2020 8:21 pm

Watch out, Olivier! Walt Disney’s Captain Hook doesn’t like it when you’re critical of people you don’t name. You may be in for a warning.

Censorship is out of control these days even if what you say makes complete sense to God!

I feel sony’s image lacks character. It looks too formal for my creative taste. But you have to admit, though, they do know how to build a camera!

A pocket 8k - similar design to 12k full RGB sensor - in a cube form with some bells and whistles found on UMP G2 and Dual Native ISO would be wonderful.

I’m hoping Grant Petty announces something in 2021.

Matteo is a decent filmmaker for the YouTube community

pia12254

PostWed Nov 18, 2020 9:23 pm

I used to be a Sony FS7 owner before I moved to Blackmagic. I do love the look of the Blackmagic but I was SUPER disappointed by the announcement of the Ursa Mini Pro 12K. No one I know is actually in dire need of 12K. I shoot for a lot of larger brands and have yet to deliver anything over 4K (much of it is still 1080p).

This announcement from Sony honestly makes me seriously consider switching back. It's got pretty much everything I'd been hoping Blackmagic would include in their last Ursa Mini Pro announcement:
- Full frame sensor
- Auto focus
- Much more flexible ISO options (still 800 native ISO Blackmagic? Really!?)
- Variable electronic ND
- 4K 120fps

I feel like all of these were really good decisions on the part of Sony, informed I'm sure by tons of market research. I think you can look at the FX6 and see what most professionals in the video industry actually want. 12K is not on that list...

I've been shooting with two BMPCC 6K cameras for the past year or so and I miss having at least one full bodied camera. I was hoping the Ursa Mini Pro update would answer that, and it did not.

Hopefully Blackmagic will listen to what their users actually want and continue to innovate, but in a USEFUL direction. Otherwise, it might be time to compromise and go back to the subpar Sony color in order to have a more useful, truly professional tool.

Just my $0.02. :)

Daniel

Ellory Yu

PostThu Nov 19, 2020 3:54 am

pia12254 wrote:I used to be a Sony FS7 owner before I moved to Blackmagic. I do love the look of the Blackmagic but I was SUPER disappointed by the announcement of the Ursa Mini Pro 12K. No one I know is actually in dire need of 12K. I shoot for a lot of larger brands and have yet to deliver anything over 4K (much of it is still 1080p).

This announcement from Sony honestly makes me seriously consider switching back. It's got pretty much everything I'd been hoping Blackmagic would include in their last Ursa Mini Pro announcement:
- Full frame sensor
- Auto focus
- Variable electronic ND
- 4K 120fps

I feel like all of these were really good decisions on the part of Sony, informed I'm sure by tons of market research. I think you can look at the FX6 and see what most professionals in the video industry actually want. 12K is not on that list...

I've been shooting with two BMPCC 6K cameras for the past year or so and I miss having at least one full bodied camera. I was hoping the Ursa Mini Pro update would answer that, and it did not.

Hopefully Blackmagic will listen to what their users actually want and continue to innovate, but in a USEFUL direction. Otherwise, it might be time to compromise and go back to the subpar Sony color in order to have a more useful, truly professional tool.

Daniel

I totally agree with your view on this so I'll up by adding my vote with another $0.02 to yours. Cheers!
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

robedge

PostThu Nov 19, 2020 4:43 am

Philip Bloom's Review:

Olivier Burri

PostThu Nov 19, 2020 1:34 pm

robedge wrote:Philip Bloom's Advertisement
:

Olivier G. Burri

jallen0

PostThu Nov 19, 2020 2:35 pm

Really the first time I have seen one of his video. I liked it. The video, not the camera. Honestly I think the A7sIII is the camera to get between the two of them and just rig it out a bit.
2019 MacPro OS 12.1, 3.2GHz 16 Core, 160GB Mem, 4TB Drive, 8TB Internal Sonnet Raid, Dual Radeon Pro W5700X 16GB
LG UF 5k, 27" Tbolt Display, 55" LG C8
Resolve Edit Keyboard, Mini Panel, US 4K Mini
Resolve Studio Ver. 17.4.3
Desktop Video 12.1

thomas bruegger

PostSun Nov 22, 2020 9:43 am

pia12254 wrote:I used to be a Sony FS7 owner before I moved to Blackmagic. I do love the look of the Blackmagic but I was SUPER disappointed by the announcement of the Ursa Mini Pro 12K. No one I know is actually in dire need of 12K. I shoot for a lot of larger brands and have yet to deliver anything over 4K (much of it is still 1080p).

- Full frame sensor
- Auto focus
- Variable electronic ND
- 4K 120fps

Daniel

Couldnt agree more! exactly how i feel, thanks.
Thomas Bruegger / garage5 GmbH
www.garage5.ch

Chris Leutger

PostMon Nov 23, 2020 10:13 pm

jallen0 wrote:Really the first time I have seen one of his video. I liked it. The video, not the camera. Honestly I think the A7sIII is the camera to get between the two of them and just rig it out a bit.

The FX6 seems like a cool camera, but too expensive and like you, I think the A7SIII seems like a better deal.

As much as I like BMD, I'm disappointed with the Pocket line for various reasons, the Sony sensor, the weird body, etc. I liked Komodo because it ticked a lot of boxes especially the body but too expensive. As I hear from more people about the A7SIII I start to think about it. I wrote off the P6K because it's too big and bulky and I'm hoping for something better from them next year (and I'm worried that I'm going to buy it tomorrow and they'll put out the P8K the next day.) This year I bought a Sony A7RIV and have been using that for scanning my film negatives and for stills. I'm starting to think about the A7SIII as my next video camera because I'm already used to the Sony eco-system and it ticks a lot of boxes, IBIS, AF, etc. It seems flexible for different things I might want to do.

I know we all go "BM image quality" but I prefer the Fairchild sensors to the new Sony ones anyway. So, that means that these days I'm starting to feel like data can be graded and that the feature set is becoming more important. Also, I think it's pretty lame that BM cameras can't do BRAW out to my BMD 12G VA. So I'm starting to warm up to the idea of a Sony in my future...though BM's menu system can't be beat...
Amateur Auteur

AMD 7800X3d 8c 5 GHz - GSkill DDR5-6000 (EXPO) 32x2
Nvidia 1080 Ti 8GB - WD SN850x 2 TB
Resolve 18.5 - Ubuntu 22.04

Return to Off-Topic