Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Playback Fusion is not fluid

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Dougy64

Playback Fusion is not fluid

PostWed Nov 18, 2020 8:04 am

Hello,

I have a problem with Fusion (I'm on DVR Studio 17)

config :
I7-7700K
16go ram
GTX 1080 latest driver
Windows 10 up to date

- I have a motion design package with a lot of svg import. No animation yet.

- The resolution is 864 by 1080 at 25 fps.

- Playback is not smooth between 4 and 6 frames/sec.

- This same composition in After Effect with animation is perfectly fluid.

- The reading in Davinci is more fluid than in Fusion.

- My GPU is used at only 20% and the CPU at 25%.

- I did uncheck High Quality and Motion Blur.

- I searched on the internet, no leads to solve my problem.

Please help me !

Small reflection : I noticed on reading that there is a green bar, I imagine it's the cache, after a few frames it disappears to start again while following, is this normal ?

Translated with http://www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Attachments
Capture d’écran 2020-11-18 085936.png
Capture d’écran 2020-11-18 085936.png (232.69 KiB) Viewed 1991 times

UserNoah

Re: Playback Fusion is not fluid

PostWed Nov 18, 2020 8:36 am

The green bar means that this part is cached in the RAM and should play in real time.
Fusion in Resolve can't access all the RAM you have because it needs to reserve more for the rest of Resolve. You could get a little more RAM out if it in Fusion Studio.

But you might want to look at disk caches. Activating this for node branches that are done could lead to better performance in the following nodes.

Right click a node and select Cache to Disk. I'm not too familiar with how Fusion in Resolve handles disk caches but I would assume it's like Fusion Studio and the default location can be changed in the settings.
You preferably want to save the disk caches on a fast drive so I/O isn't a huge bottleneck. Fusion will default to writing Fusion Raw files which can get quite big. You can cache in EXR, too but that's not interactive so you might as well use a Saver if you go that route.

Dougy64

PostWed Nov 18, 2020 11:00 am

I didn't know about the "cache to disk" option.

I looked, but unfortunately Davinci crash, probably due to the beta :/

Thanks for the help anyway, I think I'll stay on After Effect for the motion.

bentheanimator

PostThu Nov 19, 2020 11:30 pm

Until Fusion gets things like adjusting multiple tools at once in the Viewer or Flow and some keyboard shortcuts to toggle Spline or Keyframe, it is slower to work in Fusion. Also overshoot and bounce scripts are nonexistent. SirEric made a great attempt with his tool set but it bakes in the key frames instead of running it on render or execution like Ae.

It could also use some tools like IK and Constraints.

It's getting there but for straight motion work, it has some hurdles to overcome. Auto-caching like Ae would be a good one as well. I can get predictable results from Fu cache but it loses caches unless you bake them manually. Even if you have 64 GB of RAM.

If I know I have 3d being integrated into a piece then I'll go Fu but if it's just straight Illustrator or 2D, it's Ae all the live long day.

Also Audio Playback and editing. Dear God. Is it so hard to enable a wav convert and play it back? It can play back an EXR sequence but an MP3 is just impossible. You'd think with access to what they have, writing an audio co-routine would be possible.
Resolve & Fusion Studio 18.6.5
Windows 10
Intel Xeon CPU 2699A @ 2.40GHz | 128GB RAM | 2xRTX3090 | 512NVME System | 8TB NMVE Scratch | 80TB 8Gbps Fiber

MacOS 12.7.2
MacBook Pro 13,3 | 16GB | Radeon 460 4GB | 256GB System | 256GB Scratch

UserNoah

PostFri Nov 20, 2020 6:30 am

Fusion does have more Motion Graphics friendly tools than other Compositing softwares, but at the end of the day it's roots are in Compositing for VFX.

I do agree though, adjusting multiple nodes at once and better audio playback (in Fusion Studio) would be great.

Right now we're in this spot where none of Fusions capabilities have been meaningfully improved for many years. Blackmagic seems to see Fusion as a titles tool for Resolve, but that's not what it was developed for, in the 20 years before Blackmagic bought it.
And everyone who uses Fusion for VFX is sad that the few changes that do come to Fusion are exclusively geared towards titles and transitions for Resolve.

Improvements to live caching and ease of use would definitely benefit both crowds, the Resolve titles creators and the VFX artists using Fusion Studio. But we know nothing about what Blackmagics plans are for the future of Fusion.

UserNoah

PostFri Nov 20, 2020 6:54 am

Just to add some assistance though regarding the changing of several Parameters. There is the Batch Change Parameters script and there is the /for script. Both available through Reactor. They make it easier to change multiple parameters at once.

bentheanimator

PostFri Nov 20, 2020 4:35 pm

Yeah, the Batch Changer from Reactor can be helpful but you need to tweak a slider sometimes to get something dialed in. Maya has the same problem with it's Attribution Editor. It only works one node at a time. To solve that problem it has a Component Editor that loads all common attributes from the selected tools/nodes and lets you change the parameters there on all the nodes at once. It works pretty well and has been present for at least 15 years?

It would be great if Andrew or Bryan or one of the other gods of Fusion were to make it but they have other things to do besides take tool requests all day from forums. It doesn't seem that difficult from what I've done so far with scripting. It would take a lot of wrangling the tool lists and doing comparisons for matching attributes but you could start with the basics and add to the list from there. I'm making an audio loader with python and FFMPEG right now but might try it for my first interface project. It would be nice to write it all in python just to keep going learning that language format. I don't know if you can tie interface stuff to python though. The training series at steakunderwater.com on interfaces from Andrew seems really well put together and I'm sure covers what needs to happen.
Windows 10
Intel Xeon CPU 2699A @ 2.40GHz | 128GB RAM | 2xRTX3090 | 512NVME System | 8TB NMVE Scratch | 80TB 8Gbps Fiber

MacOS 12.7.2

Sander de Regt

PostFri Nov 20, 2020 4:46 pm

@ben The Batch Change Parameters script and the /for commands probably cover quite a lot of the same ground as the Maya thing does.

Also, if you know that you want to change stuff at the same time, why not wire them up to each other, just like in AE? you can pickwhip in Fusion and have all kinds of stuff animated and linked to each other, so that a single slider can run a whole animation. It's there. Nowhere nearly as nice as some things in AE, I'm sure, but I don't know how working with multiple objects/layers works in AE. Can you groupselect those and adjust the scale simultaneously? I'd imagine that you'd still have to select every gizmo/widget seperately? Tell us a bit more about what you're looking for and maybe some of it is already doable.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Bryan Ray

PostFri Nov 20, 2020 5:27 pm

You can use UI Manager from Python, also. But if your goal is greater versatility in that language for use in other applications, you could also create your own interfaces with PySide. It would take more work to match Fusion's skin, but you'd learn things that would be useful elsewhere.

I've been a little handicapped when making UIs for Houdini because there are so many convenient shortcuts in UI Manager that I haven't yet internalized how Qt works without them.

Sander de Regt wrote:…, but I don't know how working with multiple objects/layers works in AE. Can you groupselect those and adjust the scale simultaneously?

Yes, you can. Quite convenient. I've got a start on a little script that creates a UI Manager facsimile of a tool's control panel, with the intent to make something similar. The idea being that you select several tools of the same type, and you'd get a unified control panel for all of them. I'm not sure if it will work or not, but it's in my dev list.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

iddos-l

PostFri Nov 20, 2020 6:02 pm

Bryan Ray wrote:
Yes, you can. Quite convenient. I've got a start on a little script that creates a UI Manager facsimile of a tool's control panel, with the intent to make something similar. The idea being that you select several tools of the same type, and you'd get a unified control panel for all of them. I'm not sure if it will work or not, but it's in my dev list.

Sounds great.
Do you write it with python or lua?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bentheanimator

PostFri Nov 20, 2020 6:05 pm

The idea would be something like this. You're lighting a scene, select all your hero lights to to bring them up to a certain level for a base lighting intensity. You have to eyeball it because of the various color absorption in your materials. Then you select your key and fill lights and tone them down a bit. Then you select your specular highlights on a few objects and tweak those so the roll off is less sharp.

You could do all of that by the numbers but I personally don't do look dev that way. That was an extreme case but one that I'm doing in Maya this morning. Using Redshift to get lighting response instantly is amazing for look dev. I hope someday to do the same in Fusion.

@Bryan -I'm just picking up Houdini now and just got my head around point wrangling but my god does that program make things predictable. I love it. The way you can convert from one type of data to another is such a relief compared to Maya and Bifrost Graph.

Do you think making the interface in PySide is worth it to make a Channel Editor in Fusion? I totally agree about it being more useful than Fu interfaces alone. I just don't want to go down that path and find out it doesn't work. So that would be QT5 and PySide2 right?
Windows 10

MacOS 12.7.2

Bryan Ray

PostFri Nov 20, 2020 6:59 pm

iddos-l wrote:Sounds great.
Do you write it with python or lua?

It will be Lua. I'm not strong in Python, Fusion is a little slower at evaluating it, and it requires the end user to have a Python environment installed to use a script. So whenever practical, I write in Lua for Fusion.

bentheanimator wrote:Do you think making the interface in PySide is worth it to make a Channel Editor in Fusion? I totally agree about it being more useful than Fu interfaces alone. I just don't want to go down that path and find out it doesn't work. So that would be QT5 and PySide2 right?

Worth it on the Fusion end? Not sure. Based on my experience with VFXGrace's Pie Menu script, I think Python's speed in Fusion might be a downside. I'm not sure how much the evaluation cost would bother people with a tool of that sort. Beyond a certain level of comp complexity, it would no longer be noticeable, but if you're doing something simple, a few milliseconds delay might be bothersome.

As for the versions question, I believe PySide2 and Qt5 is correct. Probably best to work in an environment as close to the VFX Reference Platform as possible, which would be Qt 5.15. But again, I only dabble in Python, so don't take my word for it.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

Return to Fusion