P4k - P6k

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

John Griffin

P4k - P6k

PostThu Nov 19, 2020 6:54 pm

Just made the change and the difference is not subtle :shock:. Loads more resolution and no moiré issues I can see. Colour is a good notch up and DR looks a lot better. I know it's been measured as about the same as the P4k but when I push and pull a very contrasty shot around there seems to be a lot of clean depth in the shadows and also highlights but at the moment I can't work out how to see them at the same time so it may mean delving into the new HDR panel. So far very, very happy.

rick.lang

Re: P4k - P6k

PostThu Nov 19, 2020 10:48 pm

Thanks for the feedback, John. Enjoy your testing and the larger sensor’s increased field of view as well as higher resolution.
Rick Lang

John Griffin

PostFri Nov 20, 2020 6:35 am

It’s actually less FOV as I have a speedbooster on my P4K but I prefer shooting with longer lenses so 24-70 on the P6k is effectively about 35-100 (in my frame of reference) which is perfect.

Ryan Earl

PostFri Nov 20, 2020 12:36 pm

John Griffin wrote: Colour is a good notch up and DR looks a lot better.

Thanks John, I was under the impression the dynamic range would match up between the two. You've made me curious enough to rent the Pocket 6K with PL mod for a week to try out.

I ordered the Meike 35mm PL for super35, hopefully shipping next week, which has the same low cost as the Meike lenses for MFT.

Ellory Yu

PostFri Nov 20, 2020 4:20 pm

Ryan Earl wrote:You've made me curious enough to rent the Pocket 6K with PL mod for a week to try out.
I ordered the Meike 35mm PL for super35, hopefully shipping next week, which has the same low cost as the Meike lenses for MFT.

Which PL mod is this? Most PL mod I know for the Pocket 6K, including the one from Wooden Camera, has a limited list of supported PL lenses.

Example:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0017/ ... 0.pdf?7231

Also, why not the EF mount if you're going to use it on a Pocket 6K? Why the hassle of a PL on a non-PL camera? They have the Meike 35mm EF cine too. I understand the appeal of PL but that's true if you really have a PL mount on the camera itself, not a mod.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Ryan Earl

PostFri Nov 20, 2020 6:37 pm

Ellory Yu wrote:
Ryan Earl wrote:You've made me curious enough to rent the Pocket 6K with PL mod for a week to try out.

Which PL mod is this? Most PL mod I know for the Pocket 6K, including the one from Wooden Camera, has a limited list of supported PL lenses.

Example:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0017/ ... 0.pdf?7231

Also, why not the EF mount if you're going to use it on a Pocket 6K? Why the hassle of a PL on a non-PL camera? They have the Meike 35mm EF cine too. I understand the appeal of PL but that's true if you really have a PL mount on the camera itself, not a mod.

LOL I admit I am not always thinking the most practically.

I have the Zeiss CP2 PL and actually 2 of the original CP in PL. Then SLR Magic APO in PL and both sets are for 2 of original URSA Mini 4.6K in PL.

I've just found deals over the past few years in PL and once I started using it I've had a lot more confidence in the builds with wireless follow focus and even for interviews where I might have 2 cameras and use the Pocket 4K to float around.

With the Pocket 4K I use the Metabones PL adapter. It's nice, but still not as secure at the MFT side for the lenses I mentioned.

So really I ordered the Meike PL to fit the existing setup and I'll have to see how the Pocket 6K Wooden Camera PL mod works.

It's just a rental to try out at this point and only $20 more for the week to go with the PL mod version of the Pocket 6K. I've also been looking hard at the Komodo with Kipper Tie Revolva PL mount with built in ND.

Return to Cinematography