Playback (view) taken still images in camera BMPCC4K/6K

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

xchrisx

Playback (view) taken still images in camera BMPCC4K/6K

PostSat Nov 21, 2020 12:00 pm

PROBLEM: I do not understand why is it so hard to get a fuction to VIEW taken still images in BMPCC4K / 6K cameras. Both cam have the ability to take dng stills, but we cannot playback them.

SOLUTION IDEA: Make a new firmware where you fix this issue. I fully understand this is not a photo camera, but playback images in camera is a must have feature. It is like able to capture a video but you can only view it on a computer. Nonsense.

THANKS BLACKMAGIC FOR THE ANSWER!

carlomacchiavello

Re: Playback (view) taken still images in camera BMPCC4K/6K

PostSat Nov 21, 2020 3:36 pm

They had just a solution in developing, I read somewhere that newer firmware will save a braw single frame when you hit the still button.
The same can you save from resolve from braw video.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

John Brawley

PostSat Nov 21, 2020 4:12 pm

Leica make a digital camera that doesn’t even have a screen!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leica_M-D_(Typ_262)

I’m kidding a little.

When you playback the camera is actually rebooting a different firmware.

I’m sure there’s no technical reason it couldn’t playback a still, it’s more likely that it hasn’t been a priority to do so. They have a small development team and opening up more discrete firmware options like this I’m sure becomes a question of resources.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

robedge

PostSat Nov 21, 2020 5:05 pm

John Brawley wrote:Leica make a digital camera that doesn’t even have a screen!

True. Indeed, Leica has made several digital M cameras that don't have an LCD. They are for people who like rangefinders and want a camera that acts completely like a film camera. Neither of Leica's first two digital cameras - the M8 and the M9 - had an LCD.

The M (Typ 240), which I have, was the first with a display. When it was released, there was no shortage of photographers who objected to both the LCD and the M240's ability to shoot video. I mostly use the LCD for menu settings. I usually use the M240's rangefinder, rather than the LCD, to focus, and I very rarely use the LCD to play back photos. That said, I sometimes use my M240 with a bellows for macro photography, and I couldn't do that without the LCD. I also use the LCD whenever I have the camera on a tripod.

Leica has since made a couple of M cameras without an LCD. Personally, I find an LCD useful enough that I wouldn't purchase one of these cameras, but I see the attraction. Absent an LCD, one is left with rangefinder focusing, basic manual controls and manual lenses. In other words, a camera that works like my 64 year old M3, which is my favourite camera. The M3 is just a pleasure to shoot with, because of both its ergonomics and its simplicity. Leica also makes digital M cameras that only shoot black and white, and there appears to be a fairly strong market for them.
Video Cameras: iPhone, Pocket 4K
Microphones: Schoeps, DPA
Audio Recorder: Sound Devices

Return to Cinematography