"On-Air" lamp and hand-held switcher?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

TobyEggitt

"On-Air" lamp and hand-held switcher?

PostSat Nov 21, 2020 4:33 pm

Hi all, I use an ATEM Mini Pro ISO in my "one man" studio. By "one man" I mean literally that I'm talent (if you can call me that :lol: ) and engineer.

I use all four inputs and have two (essentially independent) problems I'd like to address.

The first problem is that even with the multi-view display on a screen, it's really easy for me to forget to switch channels to the right input when I change the camera I'm addressing. This isn't a disaster, since I have the isolated input recordings, but I'd rather get it more-right first time to reduce editing effort.

The second problem is that every time I change where I'm working, I have to first go to the control computer to switch inputs on the ATEM. Something hand-held would be much nicer.

So, I figure I need a big red light "repeater" that I can place by each camera, so it's really obvious whether I'm working with the right input selected. Yeah, I have the multiview, but I'm not looking at that, I'm looking at the camera.

Is there such a device, or do I have to make it myself (I have several ideas for building it myself, but before I get the soldering iron, software toolkit, and duct-tape out, I figure I should consider OTS options if they exist).

TIA
Toby

Michael_Andreas

Re: "On-Air" lamp and hand-held switcher?

PostSat Nov 21, 2020 4:50 pm

Here's a solution you could consider:

TobyEggitt

PostSat Nov 21, 2020 4:57 pm

Unfortunately, my teleprompters are running scripts, so that's not an option. Neat for some situations however and thanks for chipping in!

Howard Roll

PostSat Nov 21, 2020 6:05 pm

This is called Tally.

What cameras and or monitors are you using?

If the software is open you can use a BT numeric keypad to cut WL.

Good Luck

TobyEggitt

PostSat Nov 21, 2020 6:16 pm

Cameras are ... not Blackmagic ;) Indeed, not all inputs are cameras, but I figured the home-brewed, held together with duct-tape nature of my studio wasn't the most important piece of this discussion and I'd spare you all the cringe-inducing details :)

FWIW, two cameras are Sony A6000 and one is a Canon Vixia R200. The fourth input is a tap off the HDMI feed to a computer monitor. Sigh, the ugly truth is out.

Jim Simon

PostSat Nov 21, 2020 6:16 pm

TobyEggitt wrote:I'm talent and engineer.

My advice, hire help. ;)

(Especially now, there are plenty of us needing the work.)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

TobyEggitt

PostSat Nov 21, 2020 6:28 pm

So, this beastie costs $500, that would make it the second most expensive item in my studio, after the ATEM :( I was hoping not to add significantly to cost. But it sure looks like it does the job. I'll have to ponder on this much investment

But the page for this led me to the Arduino shield, which has opened up a whole ton of possibilities (I'm fairly competent in both software and electronic hardware.) Edit: well, maybe, seems like that's not using the ethernet interface. More research needed.

Thanks Howard, this looks like it might be starting me on a fascinating and productive journey.

Meanwhile, Jim, yeah, I wish my world would support that, but you can perhaps infer from my balking at $500, that's not an option. But good luck in your implied search.

Howard Roll

PostSat Nov 21, 2020 6:39 pm

What’s cool is that the new Bi-directional converter essentially spoofs big Atem. This might open up some OTS options that were previosly stuck in the big Atem SDI sandbox.

Good Luck

TobyEggitt

PostSat Nov 21, 2020 7:14 pm

Your pointer has really panned out Howard. One thing led to another and I found this describing the network control protocol these things use:

That allows me to both know which video input is live (and also which is preview) and to switch it. Which in turn means that with a trivial microcontroller on the network, I can do it all :)

Whoot!

Mikael Fredriksson

PostSun Nov 22, 2020 12:25 pm

Aaron Parecki: build an tally light for the ATEM Mini with an M5Stick esp32
YouTube /watch?v=W94MAU-42R8&t=6485s

craigneth

PostMon Nov 23, 2020 10:57 pm

If you are comfortable messing with 'arduino' level stuff, some folks have managed to turn some inexpensive esp32 (wifi) based arduino parts into wireless tally indicators:

https://oneguyoneblog.com/2020/06/13/ta ... -switcher/

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

PostTue Nov 24, 2020 12:51 am

http://tally.pytkin.sk
http://chucktv.eu
http://www.stonepp.tv
http://www.media-planet.sk

TobyEggitt

PostSat Nov 28, 2020 3:04 pm

Interesting, many thanks craigneth and Roman. I am pursuing the ESP solution, probably more basic than the oneguyoneblog one, but sufficient for my goals. Prototype on breadboard is working, need to get some real lights, a half decent circuit board soldered up and then it should be usable.

Really impressed with BM using easy protocols and publishing them!

Thanks again everyone for all the help, much appreciated.

dsoethe

PostSun Apr 17, 2022 12:27 am

TobyEggitt wrote:Hi all, I use an ATEM Mini Pro ISO in my "one man" studio. By "one man" I mean literally that I'm talent (if you can call me that ) and engineer.

I use all four inputs and have two (essentially independent) problems I'd like to address.

The first problem is that even with the multi-view display on a screen, it's really easy for me to forget to switch channels to the right input when I change the camera I'm addressing. This isn't a disaster, since I have the isolated input recordings, but I'd rather get it more-right first time to reduce editing effort.

The second problem is that every time I change where I'm working, I have to first go to the control computer to switch inputs on the ATEM. Something hand-held would be much nicer.

So, I figure I need a big red light "repeater" that I can place by each camera, so it's really obvious whether I'm working with the right input selected. Yeah, I have the multiview, but I'm not looking at that, I'm looking at the camera.

Is there such a device, or do I have to make it myself (I have several ideas for building it myself, but before I get the soldering iron, software toolkit, and duct-tape out, I figure I should consider OTS options if they exist).

TIA
Toby
Use blackmagic Tally interface or get old android phones and install
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... her.viewer

This turns old Android phones into Tally lights...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

dsoethe

PostSun Apr 17, 2022 12:36 am

You can also remote control your atem switcher with an android and https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... temcontrol

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Return to Live Production