Soften Aging Skin

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

GRNZBRA

Soften Aging Skin

PostSun Nov 08, 2020 4:15 pm

I have a 4K video of a lady sitting at a desk talking to the viewer. Focus on her face is tack sharp which tends to exaggerate her age (74). Is there any simple way to soften the overall focus of the picture (the background is already extremely soft)?

Uli Plank

Re: Soften Aging Skin

PostMon Nov 09, 2020 2:28 am

Why? Just take care of her skin with the Face Refinement filter.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

jbeech

PostSat Nov 21, 2020 3:35 pm

Tiffen 1/8 black Promist, maybe 1/4.
--
John Beech

GalinMcMahon

PostSat Nov 21, 2020 5:33 pm

Try adjusting midtone dynamics (MD) in the color screen. It's on the bottom left with contrast, tint, etc.
Water cooled Windows 11 laptop
i9 12th gen - 64GB RAM - 16GB 3080ti
2TB 4th gen nvme main - 4TB 4th gen nvme scratch
Micro panel (thank you BM :) ) - Stream Deck
Resolve Studio 18.5
BenQ ultrawide - DeckLink 4k mini via Sonnet - 48” LG C2 OLED

JonPais

PostSun Nov 22, 2020 12:21 am

jbeech wrote:Tiffen 1/8 black Promist, maybe 1/4.

Oh really? What filter size do you recommend for a 4K Mini Monitor?
https://daejeonchronicles.com

Ellory Yu

PostSun Nov 22, 2020 2:18 am

Any one of the suggestions made by Uli or Galin will do. If you go with Galin, I suggest masking her face and then adjusting MD only to the mask, preventing the entire image from softening too.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Marc Wielage

PostSat Nov 28, 2020 9:02 am

A few suggestions:

1) Face Refinement is probably the easiest one-step process you could do. Track the face and then make some adjustments and see how it looks. Eyebags are often a very important adjustment.

2) For actors in this age range, I generally tend to add a neck mask, pull a key on skintone, and set that to "stun." Minus Mid-Tone (MD) to maybe -50 and then see how far you need to go. In some cases, lot of Y-only SNR can work. In others, Soften/Sharpen can help. I try to avoid the actual Defocus control except in difficult situations.

3) In cases where Face Refinement doesn't work (head turns or occlusions), you can create multiple tracking masks (forehead, worry lines, cheeks, mouth, under eyes, crows feet, etc.) and adjust those as needed.

4) sometimes, Glow applied to skin or using a mask can help take the curse off an unflattering shot or harsh lighting.

5) there are instances where I have to use all or some of these. Every situation is different and you have to try different things and be willing to experiment. I try to err on the side of not going too far in the hopes of leaving a few subtle wrinkles to give them some realism and expression, rather than carving out a "Barbie doll" look. Sometimes, less is more.

6) be very careful to preserve the sharpness of the mouth, the eyes, the hair, and their outfit. That will preserve the illusion of sharpness and just make them look "well-preserved" as opposed to "overprocessed." Constraining the key is mandatory, with tracking power windows or just careful qualification.

Once you create this look, save it as a PowerGrade, which will help reduce the time it takes to apply it to multiple similar shots.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

jbeech

PostSat Nov 28, 2020 8:49 pm

Wow Marc Wielage, master level briefing! Thank you.
--
John Beech

Return to Post Production