Color Calibration Software and Advice

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

secomagic

Color Calibration Software and Advice

PostSun Nov 22, 2020 3:25 am

I just bought an iDisplay Pro Plus and looking to buy a new monitor. I've been using DisplayCal to do my calibration for years, but lately my calibrations look terrible. Hence me buying a new colorimeter. I'm trying to decide if I should continue using DisplayCal or switch to the iProfiler. Does anyone have any advice or opinions on how to calibrate.

I am a small video production company, I do mostly web stuff for clients, but on occasion will do a film or something for TV. But I want a solid monitor calibration that can handle my day to day life. If I need to do special adjustments for film or tv things later, I can.

Also, do people do special luts that they use in Resolve? I've always just calibrated my monitor and left it at that. I know DisplayCal can create luts for Resolve, but never tried it. Should I be doing that?

And do you have any general calibration advice? I feel like I read so much info from so many places, I almost feel more lost on what I should be doing.

robedge

Re: Color Calibration Software and Advice

PostSun Nov 22, 2020 3:36 am

What monitor are you using?

[EDIT: Ahh, it's in the other thread that you started at the same time as this one: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=126904]
Video Cameras: iPhone, Pocket 4K
Microphones: Schoeps, DPA
Audio Recorder: Sound Devices

secomagic

PostSun Nov 22, 2020 3:43 am

Sorry, I am using a Dell U2410, but I am also looking to upgrade my monitor very soon. So I wasn't sure if I should include it in the post.

Ellory Yu

PostMon Nov 30, 2020 9:56 am

I'm using DisplayCalc with a SpyderX Elite calibration device. I do calibrate my monitors every 2-3 months (probably should do it more). It does work well for me and I'm happy with it. I was looking at the x-rite i1 display pro but the difference I see gaining from the i1 is its software generating better profile when compare to the Spyder. Since I am the device with the DisplayCalc software, I found that difference to be irrelevant (at least for the time being).

I also generate a LUT for Resolve using DisplayCalc which I use on the reference monitor.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

hposts

PostTue Dec 01, 2020 8:07 am

Ellory Yu wrote:I'm using DisplayCalc with a SpyderX Elite calibration device. I do calibrate my monitors every 2-3 months (probably should do it more). It does work well for me and I'm happy with it. I was looking at the x-rite i1 display pro but the difference I see gaining from the i1 is its software generating better profile when compare to the Spyder. Since I am the device with the DisplayCalc software, I found that difference to be irrelevant (at least for the time being).

I also generate a LUT for Resolve using DisplayCalc which I use on the reference monitor.

Thank you, it fits for me, I even build a DisplayCalc LUT for Resolve I am using on the comparison monitor.

Return to Post Production