Speed Editor and/or Editing Keyboard in Linux

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

jammin

Speed Editor and/or Editing Keyboard in Linux

PostSat Nov 14, 2020 8:54 pm

Happy owner of Studio, was just about to purchase the Speed Editor when I happened to notice no mention of operating system support anywhere. So I searched online and in this forum and still came up empty.

So I called support... they didn't know for sure but thought it probably was fine... but they would test and get back to me.

The eventual answer was "no, it didn't work".

Asking here for both confirmation and discussion of that. Do they really truly not work in Linux? If so, why isn't it stated anywhere? And if not... why isn't it stated anywhere!? And why on earth wouldn't/couldn't it work? And is there any hope of it changing?

As far as I can tell all other DaVinci control surfaces work fine, by whatever protocol Resolve uses to talk to them. At least some parts of it can talk MIDI, pretty much any Mackie compatible contoller works. (Not even getting into programs that read Midi and translate them to keyboard commands... I've used a Behringer BCF 2000 in Davinci by that method myself.) That leaves what... HID? Nothing special about that in Linux.

So... do they truly not work in Linux, and if so why not? What does lsusb say about it when one is plugged in? What does dmesg show when plugging it in?

To get really elaborate... if ones mounts debugfs, loads the usbmon module, and watches the matching usbmon files while pushing keys or turning the wheel... is there nothing there? Or is there, but Danvci just doesn't try to look for it or use it?

I dunno, just seems crazy that it wouldn't or couldn't work in Linux. I was really excited about it and really wanted the Speed Editor. It was already in my cart at B&H for crying out loud, when I thought I better check first. :)

Thank you in advance for any answers, help or comments.

puddlepounce

Re: Speed Editor and/or Editing Keyboard in Linux

PostMon Nov 16, 2020 3:36 am

Thanks for finding this out; that would seem to be really rather poor. Does the full sized editor keyboard work in linux ? Normally i'd let a company off for ignoring Linux support, but when the software works there naively it's pretty unforgivable, and doubly so to not mention it.

ChrisH

PostMon Nov 16, 2020 3:58 am

I just bought a Studio license with the promo with the free Speed Editor.
I only use Resolve in Linux.
I had other reasons for the Studio license, so if the Speed Editor doesn't work for me I'll probably just sell it after the promo is over.
I'll do some experimenting like you suggest. (Once the Speed Editor arrives, currently backordered.)
I can't imagine it's doing anything that fancy, it's just USB or Bluetooth.

The Tech Spec page for the Speed Editor doesn't list Linux, but then again none of the hardware pages list Linux.

jammin

PostMon Nov 16, 2020 4:03 am

Well, I can't (or don't want to) say I've found this out until hearing officially from Black magic here.

Yes, that is what support said after trying it out... but it was also after they'd said they thought it would work fine. I don't know any details about what testing they did to try it.

All of it seems just fuzzy enough that it would be really nice to get some sort of definitive statement or explanation here.

puddlepounce

PostMon Nov 16, 2020 5:01 am

yea. It would seem unlikely as normally keyboards are fairly well supported in linux and there's decent tooling around them for debugging and such, but afaik (not sure as i don't have one) i'm of the understanding that it isn't remapable and mostly only works on the cut page, which implies it maybe isn't acting as a normal keyboard and is possibly doing something a little more propriety, so it's plausible that it wouldn't work. Till now i'd assumed it would given they support the OS with the software. Agreed it'd be good to get an official word though.

jammin

PostTue Nov 17, 2020 6:37 pm

That's the part that concerns me a bit...

If it is just a keyboard sending HID style keyboard commands over USB & bluetooth, it should "just work". But it would also be re-mappable and usable in anything (anything that already has the ability to map/bind commands to keys, that is), which they are saying it is not. So... it probably isn't speaking those protocols.

Same goes for MIDI... if under the hood it was actually using CC commands, one could see what they were, and make use of them. But they say it can't, so it probably isn't.

That leaves a proprietary to BlackMagic protocol. Which is fine, nothing wrong with that. Slight bummer I wouldn't also be able to use it for Harrison Mixbus, etc, but it isn't exactly the ideal design for that sort of use anyway, no biggie. It is meant for editing in Resolve, and that's all I really want it for. But it means we're dependent on them to make it work in Resolve, so if they don't make it work on one of their 3 advertised platforms... I guess we're SOL? But that's also why it doesn't make sense that it wouldn't work, as their other proprietary devices do work on linux. It makes little enough sense that it is tempting to assume the support staff must have been wrong, and some small correctable issue got in their way. And to order it anyway and give it a go.

But I don't want to do that if they already know for sure that it won't, and I'll be stuck using it as a paperweight. I do have 3 Macs here, but even the best of them isn't suitable as a video editing machine (debatable whether it'd run Resolve at all). I do have and use Windows regularly/professionally, but only remotely over RDP and locally as VMs on my actual workstation... I can't edit with those. My studio workstation was built to be a workhorse for all 3 fields I do... systems & db admin, audio production, and video editing. It's a Threadripper 1950X with 64GB RAM, an RTX 2070 Super, a 43" 4K main screen and often/optionally two 22" side screens, Razer & IBM M series keyboards, Yamaha studio monitors, etc, etc. I'm not going to limp along editing on a 2012 non-retina Macbook pro while this thing sits idle. (The last upgradable Macbook, throw in an SSD and stuff it with RAM and it is still fantastic for general use, but *not* Resolve.)

Anywho... could someone at BlackMagic please confirm one way or the other, so I can either put down my money to get this thing, or move on without it, and invest in something else? I'm not afraid to spend money on good tools, but I'm not prone to throw it away for nothing, either. That's why I mention the Editing Keyboard as well. With all of the new features of 17, that is also looking a lot more attractive.

But I can't find anything about the Editing Keyboard on linux, either. Even a year after release? Does it not work either? Or do regular keyboard functions work, while special keys and jog wheel don't? Or does the whole thing work... which would make "speed editor doesn't work" an even weirder situation.

Which brings up another weird thing... can't find it now but didn't somebody from BlackMagic say the Speed Editor isn't supported on 16? Yet the Editing Keyboard has been out there for a year, on 16? Is the Speed Editor not mostly a subset of the Editing Keyboard? If it is, why wouldn't it at least partially work on 16? And if it isn't... what is the fundamental difference, other than lacking the QWERTY bits and having some additional special keys in "num pad-ish" area?

The speed editor not working on 16 is another strong indicator that BlackMagic uses its own protocol for these. It watches for them by name or ID on the USB/bluetooth bus, connects to them, and uses an internal mapping for them. Something like that. 16 knows the ID for the Editing Keyboard, and has a mapping for it. It doesn't for the Speed Editor, and isn't looking for it, so it won't work.

Which brings me back again to the beginning... other devices speaking BlackMagic protocols work on Linux. They know how to do it. So why wouldn't this one?

So many questions. 8-) Could BlackMagic please answer some of them for me? I understand that some of them you probably can't get into, but at least tell me for sure if it is safe for me to buy this product or not. :mrgreen:

puddlepounce

PostWed Nov 18, 2020 5:11 am

Just a note to confirm that i have also been told that on linux it's a paperweight. ugh.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Nov 18, 2020 8:45 am

Looking into this
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

jammin

PostWed Nov 18, 2020 10:21 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Looking into this

Thank you, sir!
8-)

didier.villevalois

PostSun Nov 22, 2020 11:02 am

I was also interested in buying Resolve Studio 17 + Speed Editor to use it on Linux. Eager to have the answers from Black Magic!
Resolve 16.2.7 – Fedora 33 – Wayland – Kernel 5.10.22-200.fc33 – opencl-amd-20.45.1188099-3.fc33
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X – AMD Radeon RX 5700 – 64GB DDR4 3200 – Samsung 980 Pro 1TB

Noel Sterrett

PostTue Nov 24, 2020 12:49 pm

didier.villevalois wrote:I was also interested in buying Resolve Studio 17 + Speed Editor to use it on Linux. Eager to have the answers from Black Magic!
I pre-ordered one at B&H. They indicate the combo is not returnable, so it is important to know if it works with Linux soon.
Admit One Pictures
Resolve Studio 18 | Linux Lint 21 | Nvidia 515 | Xeon | iCore | Ryzen

puddlepounce

PostThu Nov 26, 2020 8:42 am

any update on this ?

Daniel Tufvesson

PostThu Nov 26, 2020 9:44 am

I have mine on pre-order as well expecting it to work like the other panels but without Linux support it's useless to me.
Shoot - BMCC | BMPCC | BMPCC4K | BMVA | GH5
Edit - Resolve Studio 18.1 | Debian Linux 12 | i7-3930K CPU | X79 MB | 32GB RAM | GTX1080 GPU | Speed Editor
Monitor - Decklink SDI, SDI Duo, SDI 4K, Intensity Pro
danieltufvesson.com/makeresolvedeb

Noel Sterrett

PostThu Nov 26, 2020 1:13 pm

Daniel Tufvesson wrote:I have mine on pre-order as well expecting it to work like the other panels but without Linux support it's useless to me.

+1
Admit One Pictures

didier.villevalois

PostThu Nov 26, 2020 6:33 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Looking into this

Hi Peter,

Can you please give us some news about this ?

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Didier
Resolve 16.2.7 – Fedora 33 – Wayland – Kernel 5.10.22-200.fc33 – opencl-amd-20.45.1188099-3.fc33
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X – AMD Radeon RX 5700 – 64GB DDR4 3200 – Samsung 980 Pro 1TB

Noel Sterrett

PostMon Nov 30, 2020 8:56 pm

Noel Sterrett wrote:
Daniel Tufvesson wrote:I have mine on pre-order as well expecting it to work like the other panels but without Linux support it's useless to me.

+1
Please pick one (or more):

A. Linux is supported.
B. Linux is not supported.
C. Linux might be supported at some time.
D. Linux is not supported but might work with USB, but perhaps not Bluetooth.
E. Linux will not work no matter what you do.
F. I don't know. The Speed Editor team won't talk to me.
G. Better cancel your B&H order before you're stuck with a brick.
Admit One Pictures

jammin

PostTue Dec 01, 2020 3:57 am

Trying to be patient, but yeah...

Some folks waiting to find out if they should cancel an order. Others (me) waiting to find out if they should place one, before the promo deal runs out.

Either way, some nervous calendar & clock watching going on here. :?

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Dec 01, 2020 7:08 am

As I previously said, we r looking into this, progress being made. Will announce details in the readme when we have it.

puddlepounce

PostTue Dec 01, 2020 7:26 am

umm, that worryingly sounds a bit less like "we designed this hardware to work on an officially supported platform" and kinda more like "one of the devs has a nix box kicking around and he's going to see if he can get this thing the hardware guys just threw at us working".

Here's to hoping though. :?

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Dec 01, 2020 7:39 am

No, it’s Linux is the third OS we r working on.

Noel Sterrett

PostTue Dec 01, 2020 12:37 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:No, it’s Linux is the third OS we r working on.
Thanks for the update.
Admit One Pictures

jammin

PostThu Dec 03, 2020 12:11 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:As I previously said, we r looking into this, progress being made. Will announce details in the readme when we have it.

Thank you.

Should we interpret this as "although it may not work right at the moment, we expect to have it working in the reasonably-near future"?

And safely act on that interpretation by going ahead and placing an order for one, knowing that it will not remain forever a brick? Or by not cancelling an already existing order for one?

I don't mind waiting a bit to have it, or for a bit longer for it to become usable in Linux. As long as I can be sure that at some point, it will. 8-)

Michael Hebo

PostSun Dec 06, 2020 10:47 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:No, it’s Linux is the third OS we r working on.

Does this mean that it will work on Linux with time?
DaVinci Resolve 17, Pop!_OS 20.10 64-Bit, 32GB RAM, i7-8750H, GTX 1070 8GB, 2TB NVMe

Noel Sterrett

PostMon Dec 07, 2020 12:00 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:

What's new in DaVinci Resolve Studio 17 Public Beta 4
Initial Linux support for the DaVinci Resolve Editing Keyboard and the Speed Editor.
Admit One Pictures

didier.villevalois

PostMon Dec 07, 2020 5:42 pm

Noel Sterrett wrote:Peter Chamberlain wrote:
What's new in DaVinci Resolve Studio 17 Public Beta 4
Initial Linux support for the DaVinci Resolve Editing Keyboard and the Speed Editor.

Great! Thanks BMD folks!

valimitaru257

PostTue Dec 08, 2020 12:58 pm

I just received my Davinci Resolve Speed Editor.
I have to admit that I was sceptic about it's compatibility with Linux systems. I'm using Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS.

I uninstalled Resolve 16 and installed DaVinci_Resolve_Studio_17.0b4_Linux using the latest MakeResolveDeb v1.4.1 which "Added support for Editing Keyboard and the Speed Editor (17 only)."

BUT the speed editor doesn't work using USB connection, nor the Bluetooth connection. Still, it is detected, as it shows-up as "Blackmagic design DaVinci Resolve Speed Editor" in lsusb.

Does anyone has some ideas?
Thanks!

jammin

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 1:33 am

Fantastic, thank you very much.

Order placed. 8-)

valimitaru257

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 6:21 am

One more thing.. I tried to manually run 'opt/resolve/DaVinci Control Panels Setup/DaVinci Control Panels Setup'.
When the keyboard is not connected the app is running displaying that you need to connect the panel to the USB port. After I connected the keyboard and re-run the app, it says
"terminating with uncaught exception of type std::runtime_error: Unable to get Serial Number
Aborted (core dumped)"

Thanks!

Daniel Tufvesson

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 5:27 pm

valimitaru257 wrote:BUT the speed editor doesn't work using USB connection, nor the Bluetooth connection. Still, it is detected, as it shows-up as "Blackmagic design DaVinci Resolve Speed Editor" in lsusb.
It would be interesting to have a look at the Resolve log file.
Does it mention anything about the new device?

I'm still waiting for my Speed Editor so I can't do any testing myself.
Edit - Resolve Studio 18.1 | Debian Linux 12 | i7-3930K CPU | X79 MB | 32GB RAM | GTX1080 GPU | Speed Editor

valimitaru257

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 7:04 pm

As far as I remember I didn't see anything related to the keyboard, but I'll check it again and paste it here.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

valimitaru257

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 7:28 pm

I don't know if Speed Editor keyboard is treated as panel in Resolve. I was looking into the ResolveDebug.txt and I saw only this:

x7fa3cfd6b640] | Main | INFO | 2020-12-09 21:17:20,250 | Running DaVinci Resolve v17.0.0b.0013 (Linux/Clang)
[0x7fa3cfd6b640] | Main | INFO | 2020-12-09 21:17:20,250 | BMD_BUILD_UUID 7d351d70-2e47-4520-aa8a-b0496de203c0
[0x7fa3cfd6b640] | Main | INFO | 2020-12-09 21:17:20,250 | BMD_GIT_COMMIT 214bf455ff8e43df6a6e3afe02be67a5acde7fb5
[0x7fa3cfd6b640] | GPUDetect | INFO | 2020-12-09 21:17:20,250 | Starting GPUDetect
[0x7fa3cfd6b640] | GPUDetect | INFO | 2020-12-09 21:17:20,306 | Done in 55 ms.
[0x7fa3cfd6b640] | GPUDetect | INFO | 2020-12-09 21:17:20,306 | Detected System:
[0x7fa3cfd6b640] | GPUDetect | INFO | 2020-12-09 21:17:20,306 | - OS: Linux Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS
[0x7fa3cfd6b640] | GPUDetect | INFO | 2020-12-09 21:17:20,306 | - Model: LENOVO LNVNB161216
[0x7fa3cfd6b640] | GPUDetect | INFO | 2020-12-09 21:17:20,306 | - System ID: 82f4c76dffba45d8a8fd355f3257ff81
[0x7fa3cfd6b640] | GPUDetect | INFO | 2020-12-09 21:17:20,306 | - CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ, 4 threads, x86-64
[0x7fa3cfd6b640] | GPUDetect | INFO | 2020-12-09 21:17:20,306 | - RAM: 5.8 GiB used of 31.2 GiB
[0x7fa3cfd6b640] | GPUDetect | INFO | 2020-12-09 21:17:20,306 | - NVIDIA Driver: 455.38, supports CUDA 11.1
[0x7fa3cfd6b640] | GPUDetect | INFO | 2020-12-09 21:17:20,306 | Detected 1 GPUs:
[0x7fa3cfd6b640] | GPUDetect | INFO | 2020-12-09 21:17:20,307 | - "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050" (gpu:3d971d87.f91e8f0c) <- Main Display GPU
[0x7fa3cfd6b640] | GPUDetect | INFO | 2020-12-09 21:17:20,307 | Discrete, 405 MiB used of 3.8 GiB VRAM, PCI:1:0.0
[0x7fa3cfd6b640] | GPUDetect | INFO | 2020-12-09 21:17:20,307 | Matches: CUDA, NVML, OpenCL, XOrg
[0x7fa3cfd6b640] | GPUDetect | INFO | 2020-12-09 21:17:20,307 | Detected 1 monitors:
[0x7fa3cfd6b640] | GPUDetect | INFO | 2020-12-09 21:17:20,307 | - "Monitor" <- Main Monitor
[0x7fa3cfd6b640] | GPUDetect | INFO | 2020-12-09 21:17:20,307 | 3840x1080, connected to "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050" (gpu:3d971d87.f91e8f0c)
[0x7fa3cfd6b640] | Main.GPUConfig | INFO | 2020-12-09 21:17:20,307 | Selected compute API: CUDA
[0x7fa3cfd6b640] | Main.GPUConfig | INFO | 2020-12-09 21:17:20,307 | Automatic GPU Selection:
[0x7fa3cfd6b640] | Main.GPUConfig | INFO | 2020-12-09 21:17:20,307 | - "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050" (gpu:3d971d87.f91e8f0c)
[0x7fa3cfd6b640] | IO | INFO | 2020-12-09 21:17:20,307 | RED InitializeSdk with library path at /opt/resolve/libs
[0x7fa3cfd6b640] | IO | INFO | 2020-12-09 21:17:20,403 | R3DAPI 7.3.5-48A04 (20201023 L64S) R3DSDK 7.3.5-48A04 (20201023 L64D C3B1) RED CUDA 7.3.5-50124 (20201026) [/opt/resolve/libs/] init is successful
[0x7fa3cfd6b640] | Main | INFO | 2020-12-09 21:17:20,404 | 0 RED rocket cards available
libDeckLinkAPI.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[0x7fa3cfd6b640] | Main | INFO | 2020-12-09 21:17:20,404 | Decklink model name: '', version: ''

[...]

[0x7fa3cfd6b640] | SyManager | INFO | 2020-12-09 21:17:22,855 | Started /opt/resolve/bin/DaVinciPanelDaemon with pid 52167
[0x7fa2e21cd700] | SyManager | INFO | 2020-12-09 21:17:22,856 | Starting keyboard device monitor thread...
[0x7fa3cfd6b640] | DbCommon2 | INFO | 2020-12-09 21:17:22,857 | Sm2SysIdEntry is not supported in disk database (xml) mode
SY panel handler thread starts: 7FF34700
[0x7fa37ff34700] | SyManager | INFO | 2020-12-09 21:17:22,936 | Connected to panel socket at 66
[0x7fa37ff34700] | SyManager | INFO | 2020-12-09 21:17:22,936 | Connection to the panel server has been re-established

valimitaru257

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 7:32 pm

Daniel Tufvesson wrote:
valimitaru257 wrote:BUT the speed editor doesn't work using USB connection, nor the Bluetooth connection. Still, it is detected, as it shows-up as "Blackmagic design DaVinci Resolve Speed Editor" in lsusb.
It would be interesting to have a look at the Resolve log file.
Does it mention anything about the new device?

I'm still waiting for my Speed Editor so I can't do any testing myself.

I'm glad if I can help somehow.

I was looking at Resolve version stated in log files: Running DaVinci Resolve v17.0.0b.0013
Also, the Resolve About says: Version 17.0B BUILD 13.
This is the latest Resolve version for 17.0 Beta4?

theirishkiwi

PostThu Dec 10, 2020 4:25 pm

Hi,

I have the Speed Editor and running the latest DR beta build 13 on Linux Mint.
Code: Select all
lsusb
Bus 003 Device 015: ID 1edb:da0e Blackmagic design

The only reference to the keyboard in the logs that I can see.
$ tail -f /home/username/.local/share/DaVinciResolve/logs/ResolveDebug.txt
16162:0x7f56831ee700 | SyManager            | INFO  | 2020-12-10 15:59:16,033 | Starting keyboard device monitor thread...
16279-SY panel handler thread starts: 33ABC700
16320-0x7f5733abc700 | SyManager            | INFO  | 2020-12-10 15:59:16,088 | Connected to panel socket at 80
16426-0x7f5733abc700 | SyManager            | INFO  | 2020-12-10 15:59:16,088 | Connection to the panel server has been re-established
0x7fbae88b2700 | SyManager            | INFO  | 2020-12-10 15:58:59,179 | Exiting keyboard device monitor thread.
0x7fbbd6da3640 | SyManager            | INFO  | 2020-12-10 15:58:59,179 | Thread release successful.

I also managed to track down the path to DR keyboard libs.
$ ll -rth /opt/resolve/DaVinci\ Control\ Panels\ Setup/AdminUtility/PlugIns/DaVinciKeyboards/*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1.5M Dec  7 19:33 '/opt/resolve/DaVinci Control Panels Setup/AdminUtility/PlugIns/DaVinciKeyboards/libDaVinciKeyboardsPlugin.so'*

'/opt/resolve/DaVinci Control Panels Setup/AdminUtility/PlugIns/DaVinciKeyboards/Resources':
total 360K
-rwxr--r-- 1 root root 249K Dec  7 19:33 data-da0e.bin*
-rwxr--r-- 1 root root  99K Dec  7 19:33 data-da0b.bin*
drwxrwxr-x 2 root root 4.0K Dec 10 15:04 ./
drwxrwxr-x 4 root root 4.0K Dec 10 15:32 ../

'/opt/resolve/DaVinci Control Panels Setup/AdminUtility/PlugIns/DaVinciKeyboards/lib':
total 22M
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 242K Dec  7 19:33 libusb-1.0.so.0*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 6.3M Dec  7 19:33 libQt5Widgets.so.5*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1.5M Dec  7 19:33 libQt5Network.so.5*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 5.6M Dec  7 19:33 libQt5Gui.so.5*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 6.2M Dec  7 19:33 libQt5Core.so.5*
-rwxr--r-- 1 root root 531K Dec  7 19:33 libgcc_s.so.1*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 969K Dec  7 19:33 libc++.so.1*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 219K Dec  7 19:33 libc++abi.so.1*

Let me know what else you'd like me to check.

Cheers
Chris

valimitaru257

PostFri Dec 11, 2020 7:36 am

Thanks Chris for the detailed info.
I still have the same output as yours (lsusb, logs and files) but unfortunately the Speed Editor doesn't work in Resolve. I tested in Windows and it works, but in Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS doesn't. Nor in Linux Mint Cinnamon
Did you performed some additional steps in Resolve to make it work?
Did you run it with sudo?

Thanks!
Vali
Last edited by valimitaru257 on Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

theirishkiwi

PostFri Dec 11, 2020 9:41 am

Hi, Vali,

Unfortunately, mine does not work on Linux either. But does on my Windows setup. I might try running a strace to see if I can capture any additional detail. I also wonder if DR can be started in debug mode to get more verbose logging?

**Updated**

It looks like Linux is seeing the keyboard fine, just DR is not. :(
lshw
*-usb:1
                      description: Human interface device
                      product: DaVinci Resolve Speed Editor
                      vendor: Blackmagic Design
                      physical id: 3
                      bus info: usb@3:5.3
                      version: 1.00
                      serial: 14D************************
                      capabilities: usb-2.00
                      configuration: driver=usbhid maxpower=100mA speed=12Mbit/s

I discovered you can set log verbosity here, but added little extra that I saw.
/home/chris/.local/share/DaVinciResolve/configs/log-conf.xml

Output can be found here.
/home/chris/.local/share/DaVinciResolve/logs/ResolveDebug.txt

I'll report back with anything new as I find it.

Cheers
Chris
Last edited by theirishkiwi on Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

valimitaru257

PostFri Dec 11, 2020 10:30 am

Ah, ok. I understand that it does. Ok

valimitaru257

PostFri Dec 11, 2020 4:33 pm

I was looking into the verbosity logs but as you said, nothing new.
I took my attention this:

[0x7fbd1715e700] | SyManager            | INFO  | 2020-12-11 18:26:44,706 | Starting keyboard device monitor thread...
[0x7fbdb3857700] | SyManager            | INFO  | 2020-12-11 18:26:44,720 | Connected to panel socket at 66
[0x7fbdb3857700] | SyManager            | INFO  | 2020-12-11 18:26:44,721 | Connection to the panel server has been re-established

Then I looked into panel.log where I saw this:
opened log file
Opening communication to resolve..
Failed to create listener
Unsupported DaVinci Panel API Version (0.0), please update
Resolve discovery
Resolve discovery
Resolve discovery

Cheers

Kitosch

PostSun Dec 13, 2020 9:19 pm

I can confirm the Speed Editor is recognised by the system correctly according to lsusb, but not by DR.

Hope we don't have to wait for too long until it works in Linux.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Dec 14, 2020 12:49 pm

Kitosch wrote:I can confirm the Speed Editor is recognised by the system correctly according to lsusb, but not by DR.

R u using beta 4?

valimitaru257

PostMon Dec 14, 2020 1:36 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:
Kitosch wrote:I can confirm the Speed Editor is recognised by the system correctly according to lsusb, but not by DR.

R u using beta 4?

I'm also using Beta 4 (Version 17.0B Build 13 - as stated in DR About screen)

Kitosch

PostMon Dec 14, 2020 4:46 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:

R u using beta 4?

Yes, same build as valimitaru257 says. RS 17.0b4, or 17.0B Build 13 according to the "About" splash screen.

Noel Sterrett

PostWed Dec 16, 2020 6:07 pm

Got mine today. Just out of the box and it's still cold. Simply plugged it in, voila!

So it works with 17b4 on Ubuntu 20.04.
Admit One Pictures

valimitaru257

PostThu Dec 17, 2020 9:24 am

Noel Sterrett wrote:Got mine today. Just out of the box and it's still cold. Simply plugged it in, voila!

So it works with 17b4 on Ubuntu 20.04.

Did you use MakeResolveDeb v1.4.1 from https://www.danieltufvesson.com/makeresolvedeb to make .deb package from .run?

Thanks!

valimitaru257

PostThu Dec 17, 2020 11:22 am

I have to admit that it works on my end only by running as sudo.
cd /opt/resolve/bin
sudo ./resolve
It might be some user permissions that doesn't allow to access the usb ports when running it as logged-in user.

I end-up changing the user and group for (in my case) /dev/hidraw2. Also I was looking also in /dev/usb/hiddev

Noel Sterrett

PostThu Dec 17, 2020 12:17 pm

Noel Sterrett wrote:Did you use MakeResolveDeb v1.4.1 from https://www.danieltufvesson.com/makeresolvedeb to make .deb package from .run?
No, I just ran the .run file. I have used Daniel's script in the past with great success, but it no longer seems to be needed.
Admit One Pictures

Daniel Tufvesson

PostThu Dec 17, 2020 2:15 pm

Thank you Noel for the update! Nice to know it's finally working. I'm still waiting on mine.

valimitaru257, regarding makeresolvedeb, make sure you are using the latest version (currently 1.4.3).

Kitosch

PostThu Dec 17, 2020 6:12 pm

I can confirm it works now after installing it just from the run installer instead of the deb detour on Xubuntu 20.04.

Gesendet von meinem Aquaris X Pro mit Tapatalk

valimitaru257

PostThu Dec 17, 2020 8:31 pm

Yeap, it works with makeresolvedeb_1.4.3_multi without any additional users/group permission changes.

jmyhanssen

PostSun Dec 20, 2020 10:18 pm

Has anyone gotten it to work with bluetooth? I'm running Resolve 17 beta5 on Pop OS, it works fine over USB-C, but its dead when I try to use bluetooth only. It's otherwise recognized by the system and it says that it's connected.

MicamDK

PostTue Jan 05, 2021 8:48 pm

Works fine here on Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS but so far only with cable and ONLY on DR17 (so the speed editor is not supported on DR16).
Next

Return to DaVinci Resolve