PortKeys $399.00 very compact EVF

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Leon Benzakein

PostSat Nov 14, 2020 3:32 pm

Television: Lighting/Cameraman, O.B. Camera Operator, Experience in EFP, EPG and ENG , Grip, Lamp Operator
Film: Grip, Lamp Operator
Theater: Lighting Designer, Light board Operator, Stage Electrician, Stage Management

Ellory Yu

Re: PortKeys $399.00 very compact EVF

PostSat Nov 14, 2020 9:20 pm

Looks like another variation of a loupe + field monitor combo. Would be nice if it had SDI too.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... _view.html
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

rick.lang

PostSun Nov 15, 2020 2:13 am

They have another version with HDMI and SDI 3G.

No too sure I liked the 4K input being displayed 1440x900. Still like BMD’s approach with 1920x1200, but given the large price difference, this should attract customers.
Rick Lang

Ellory Yu

PostSun Nov 15, 2020 4:52 am

rick.lang wrote:They have another version with HDMI and SDI 3G.

Yes, they do but a bit pricey.
Here's one from ZCAM too, price at the range of the PorKeys with HDMI and SDI 3G.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... inder.html

I hope that more compact EVF at the < $500 price starts appearing in the marketplace.
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

rick.lang

PostSun Nov 15, 2020 6:56 am

It’s still a market BMD could win if they wanted to take it. The BMVF is superb quality and good functionality but lacks flexibility. I was very happy to fit into their use case and add it to the UM46K order in 2015. It still integrates with those larger cameras, but perhaps we’ll see a change when they make a shift to other engineering and design for the future.

Their URSA was a beautiful bear of a camera growing out of an ENG history of even larger cameras that drove their design under the requirements of the technology of the day. The next generation will come and demand its own requirements. We used to say lenses last for generations and it can be true, but right now we are flooded with alternative and often incompatible mounts even from the ‘traditional’ vendors. The same is happening recently with cameras from upstarts and traditional vendors. Somewhere in all these changes, BMD will determine the fate of their BMVF.
Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostSun Nov 15, 2020 8:14 am

I agree with you Rick, and whist rhe OirtKey and new Zacuto EVF (a remake of their original EVF) look interesting, the Zacuto offering is a better alternative at this point.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

David White

PostSun Nov 15, 2020 3:27 pm

I don't understand why these aftermarket view finders are so large. Still cameras have had much smaller view finders for many years and camcorders for several decades. The newer pocket cameras are small. Existing view finders are too large for them.

I just got a Panasonic G7 still camera for my micro 4/3's lenses and really like it's viewfinder. It's small, bright, and works well. It looks like it belongs on the camera.

Black Magic really missed an opportunity by not giving the pockets a hot shoe mount so a view finder could have been wireless. Perhaps they will fix that in the next generation.

In the mean time, would somebody please make a small viewfinder for them?

David

robedge

PostSun Nov 15, 2020 4:24 pm

David White wrote:I don't understand why these aftermarket view finders are so large. Still cameras have had much smaller view finders for many years and camcorders for several decades. The newer pocket cameras are small. Existing view finders are too large for them.

In the mean time, would somebody please make a small viewfinder for them?

People would have to learn how to use a light meter, which would probably give some a heart attack :)

More seriously, small electronic viewfinders, at least the ones that I've used, are composition and focusing aids. If you can stick a histogram, zebras and false colour in there, I'd like to know how. Personally, I'd love a small EVF, but I use a Sekonic as my main exposure aid anyway. On cost, a small EVF may not save much money for those who don't already have a light meter, because decent light meters aren't cheap.

But yes, sign me up for a small, high quality EVF. That plus my Sekonic and I'm good to go.
Video Cameras: iPhone, Pocket 4K
Microphones: Schoeps, DPA
Audio Recorder: Sound Devices

David White

PostSun Nov 15, 2020 11:10 pm

I just confirmed my G7's small viewfinder shows the histogram, focus peaking, and zebra display.

And yes, light metering is best.

I just need the viewfinder to show me where the camera is pointed outdoors and some kind of focusing feedback. It doesn't even need to be in color. We got along without color view finders for very long time.

David

robedge

PostSun Nov 15, 2020 11:52 pm

David White wrote:I just need the viewfinder to show me where the camera is pointed outdoors and some kind of focusing feedback. It doesn't even need to be in color. We got along without color view finders for very long time.

That makes two of us. But then, my favourite viewfinder is the one on my 64 year old Leica M3 :)

Ellory Yu

PostMon Nov 16, 2020 1:02 am

robedge wrote:People would have to learn how to use a light meter, which would probably give some a heart attack :)

Although I would like an inexpensive electronic viewfinder so I can see better in daylight (primary reason really), I completely agree with Rob that people need to learn to use a light meter. It is an indispensable tool. I know false color is getting to be popular as well, so a nice thing to have in a EVF.

Leon Benzakein

PostThu Nov 19, 2020 2:58 pm

Dear Anele

You being a BMPCC 4K user may be seeing this post.
Thanks for posting on Youtube.

DOES THE IMAGE FLIP?

Looking forward to your next video, using the EVF.
Cheers

Television: Lighting/Cameraman, O.B. Camera Operator, Experience in EFP, EPG and ENG , Grip, Lamp Operator
Theater: Lighting Designer, Light board Operator, Stage Electrician, Stage Management

Greg Lee

PostThu Nov 19, 2020 4:36 pm

I’m actually looking at using this on a BMCC. Will need an adapter to HDMI, but otherwise, seems like it would work...

I’m kind of shocked how long it’s taken for someone to do this.

Ric Murray

PostTue Nov 24, 2020 5:32 pm

I have one of these on order, but I am wondering how best to power it? I usually run my BMPcc4K off a V-Lock battery, D Tap to the Lemo AC socket. After reading in other places about power issues with just splitting the D Tap with a Y connector, I am looking at a battery plate or some other way to regulate the output. Any suggestions?

Looking at my Switronix XP-L90S batteries, I see there is a Dtap AND a USB1 outlet on it. As they are different voltage, I assume they would be isolated from one another and safe to use the Dtap to the camera and the USB to the EVF?
Creativity is the ability to accept ambiguity.

ricardo marty

PostTue Nov 24, 2020 7:20 pm

Just a small compact evf to check focus and use under the sun, nothing fancy. That all most of us want.

Ricardo Marty
DVR_S 18.5, Asus ProArt PD5, 2.5 GHz i7 16-Core 64GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM GeForce RTX 3070 1TB M.2 NVMe Window 11, LenovoLegion 2.6 i7 10750h 2.6, 64gb 3200mhz, rtx 2060, 1tb ssd M.2 Win 11 BenQ PD3420Q, Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6700. PreSonus AudioBox

rick.lang

PostTue Nov 24, 2020 7:23 pm

Ric, the website may specify if the two battery outputs are isolated.

I can run my BMPCC4K from the D-tap on my Cinegears 250 Wh, but then would have the tethered BMVA12G7 running isolated from one or two NP-F970 on-board batteries.
Rick Lang

Richard Knight

PostWed Nov 25, 2020 10:19 am

I just want a viewfinder with a diopter adjustment, it saves having to put on your reading glasses when recording. Also wearing glasses and a covid mask by the time the fogged up lenses have cleared you've missed the shot.

Ellory Yu

PostThu Nov 26, 2020 5:59 am

ricardo marty wrote:Just a small compact evf to check focus and use under the sun, nothing fancy. That all most of us want.

Ricardo Marty

Exactly!!! BMD, are you listening?

Overlander

PostThu Nov 26, 2020 6:18 am

Yup me too, a small EVF. I can't afford and don't need the usual EVF. So, being a cheap s.o.b. I repurposed a second Zacuto view finder they had sent me. It is for my Nikon and is bit shy on the sides but... I can work with that - I know the image that is there most of the time. So I made a clip for it and I slide it over the side monitor. No, I does not work for shoulder mount but it is great when on a tripod and, as much of my shooting is wildlife, it cuts the light and magnifies a bit. Then I fashioned a "red dot" gunsight which I mount on the handle. With it and my 400mm I can easily swing the lens onto target/subject and often start shooting before my eye even gets down to the Zacuto and the monitor. Work around but it works for me.

Leon Benzakein

PostMon Nov 30, 2020 4:03 pm

Update video.

Last edited by Leon Benzakein on Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ric Murray

PostFri Dec 04, 2020 2:43 pm

I received my new PortKeys EVF yesterday and had it in service a few hours later. Initial reaction is good. Definitely does what I needed, which is that it provides a superior focusing environment in bright sunlight with my BMPCC4K. It is reasonably compact, seems well laid out, and shows a bright clear image that was easily adjusted to my eyesight. I attached it to my SmallRig half cage with a SmallRig pivot monitor mount. It makes the camera slightly top heavy, but not awful. Many of the features, like peaking focus assist, false color, etc are redundant and not as finely tuned as the same services from the PCC4K, probably because they are applied in the monitor to the 1080 image fed to the monitor. I prefer to use those aids on the camera and pass them through to the HDMI feed. The general construction seems a bit light weight, but for the price is about as expected. I have ordered a dedicated cable for power and a short, coiled HDMI. I will post some images of the full rig when the cables arrive.

Leon Benzakein

PostFri Dec 04, 2020 3:38 pm

Ric Murray,

Nicely done, Sir!

Looking forward to more info from you.

rick.lang

PostFri Dec 04, 2020 7:48 pm

Ric, glad it’s working well for your intended purposes. BTW I think the PortKeys EVF screen you view is 1440x900.
Rick Lang

Ric Murray

PostFri Dec 04, 2020 8:02 pm

rick.lang wrote:BTW I think the PortKeys EVF screen you view is 1440x900.

Yes, you are correct, but I believe the signal out of the 4K's HDMI is 1080. I'm not sure if the peaking is applied before or after it's knocked down to 900, but either way it's much cruder than the detail on the P4K internal peaking which I'm pretty sure is applied to the full res signal, as it is much finer lines with more small detail.

rick.lang

PostFri Dec 04, 2020 8:07 pm

The BMVA12G7 is a step above the BMPCC4K as the detail in the scopes are excellent, especially given you can magnify the vectorscope which is difficult to read normally.
Rick Lang

Bunk Timmer

PostFri Dec 04, 2020 11:07 pm

Ric Murray wrote:Many of the features, like peaking focus assist, false color, etc are redundant and not as finely tuned as the same services from the PCC4K, probably because they are applied in the monitor to the 1080 image fed to the monitor.
Is that even after fine tuning the settings? I only have the bmpcc and bmcc and have to say I’m very happy with the Portkey Oeye’s peaking, which as far as I know shares the same software as the Leye. My favorite being ‘edge enhance‘. Beside that. Does the Leye have the option ‘flip control’, should be under ‘system config’. Could be an interesting setting if you want the hdmi port on the left side.

Ric Murray

PostSat Dec 05, 2020 4:45 pm

My favorite being ‘edge enhance‘. Beside that. Does the Leye have the option ‘flip control’, should be under ‘system config’. Could be an interesting setting if you want the hdmi port on the left side.

I do not see "flip control" in the menu under system config, or anywhere else.
Don't get me wrong, the i'm sure the focus assist is useful if your camera doesnt have it, it just seems finer to me on the camera due to the higher res signal. No big deal.

My question for the group is does the USB C plug on the PCC4K OUTPUT 5V DC from the camera? IE: could I power the EVF from with a short USB A to C cable, then boost the whole rig with an external V Lock DTap to Lemo to AC in? Wouldn't that be safer in terms of ground issues between units?

Leon Benzakein

PostSun Dec 06, 2020 2:55 am

Ric Murray wrote:My question for the group is does the USB C plug on the PCC4K OUTPUT 5V DC from the camera?

An interesting idea.
One would think that the 5V USB power can power the external SSD.
However the EVF may draw more than the output is rated for.

If you do try it remember to keep your fingers plugged in your ears and a fire extinguisher close by.

May the force be with you. :geek:

Bunk Timmer

PostSun Dec 06, 2020 10:17 am

Ric Murray wrote:I do not see "flip control" in the menu under system config, or anywhere else.
Don't get me wrong, the i'm sure the focus assist is useful if your camera doesnt have it, it just seems finer to me on the camera due to the higher res signal. No big deal.
Thanks for taking a look. That's a pity as it would make the Leye even more versatile.

Ric Murray

PostSun Dec 06, 2020 4:13 pm

If you do try it remember to keep your fingers plugged in your ears and a fire extinguisher close by.

Tried it. Nothing, no sparks, no power up. No nuthin'

My new cordage should arrive on Wednesday, I will post some pics then.

Bob Moore

PostSun Dec 06, 2020 4:51 pm

Ric Murray wrote:

Ric,

Can you measure the inner and outer diameter of the EVF ring ... have one on order and would love to
add a true eyecup ... might need to velcro it on like the foam.

I assume that there is no fan ... nothing in the specs and the two reviews has mentioned it either way.

Thanks

Bob Moore

Ric Murray

PostMon Dec 07, 2020 12:08 pm

Can you measure the inner and outer diameter of the EVF ring

OD 2.75"
ID 1.5"
(approximately)

There was a foam rig with a cover attached plus a spare in the box. I found the provided ring to be pretty effective, you may want to try it before you spend money on another. It is attached with velcro.
There is no fan or any moving part that I can see or hear. I have been using it in a studio environment and I am quite happy with it. I will be out in the field, on location, on Friday, and will report back after that. The only thing that seems odd is that when I use the Zoom function for focus, it turns the image 90 degrees. It's still useable, but odd.

Bob Moore

PostMon Dec 07, 2020 1:59 pm

Thanks for that information ...

My concern is in very bright sunlight ... not sure the foam will eliminate light
as effectively as a deep eyecup.

Love to know how your Friday outdoor shoot works!

Perhaps the zoom function is a preliminary step to a flip image function. :D

Lack of a fan is ideal .... one less source of sound on set.

Thanks,

Bob Moore

Leon Benzakein

PostMon Dec 07, 2020 3:58 pm

Ric Murray wrote:

I am relieved to hear that you, the EVF and camera are still with us.
Remind me again, what cordage you are waiting for?

Leon Benzakein

PostMon Dec 07, 2020 4:05 pm

Bob Moore wrote:
Ric Murray wrote:

Ric,

Can you measure the inner and outer diameter of the EVF ring ... have one on order and would love to
add a true eyecup ... might need to velcro it on like the foam.

I assume that there is no fan ... nothing in the specs and the two reviews has mentioned it either way.

Thanks

Bob Moore

AS a matter of interest.
I fashioned an eye cup for my loupe by using a piece of sash cord made into a ring.
I placed the sash cord ring in a wrist sweat band folded in two so that the ring is trapped in the sweat band.
The sweat band is held on the loupe with a thin bungy cord around it.
It works really well and the sweat band can be removed to be washed.

Greg Lee

PostMon Dec 07, 2020 8:17 pm

I got this EVF on Thursday, it works great with my Micro (which I'm shooting on much more than my BMPCC4K). I'm also eager to try it on the BMPC4K I just got on eBay.

I'm powering it with a separate Sony L-series battery from the one I have powering the Micro, because I don't want to blow either one out, as I've heard there have been ground-loop horror stories about running two devices off of the same battery. However...

I just bought a teeny little USB powerbank, which I'll try Velcro-ing to the EVF. As the updated video shows, you can power this EVF with a standard USB powerbank, so hopefully a tiny little one would do the trick!

Bob Moore

PostTue Dec 08, 2020 2:18 am

Leon Benzakein wrote:
Bob Moore wrote:
AS a matter of interest.
I fashioned an eye cup for my loupe by using a piece of sash cord made into a ring.
I placed the sash cord ring in a wrist sweat band folded in two so that the ring is trapped in the sweat band.
The sweat band is held on the loupe with a thin bungy cord around it.
It works really well and the sweat band can be removed to be washed.

Not much of a tailor here ... but found this ...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... _Hood.html

Will report back if it serves my needs ...

Tom Donalek

PostTue Dec 08, 2020 7:57 am

It's disappointing that the eye cup can't hinge up so you can at least get an idea about framing a shot when you can't get your eye to it. (Particularly with the BMPCC 4k/6k with their non-moving main screens.) From the images on the manufacturer's site, it looks like the eye cup piece attaches to the main body/screen with a screw at each of the four corners. I wouldn't encourage anyone to risk damaging their device, but just in case anyone got curious and took the eye cup/shade element off to see what it's like underneath, I'd love to hear about it. Making a hinge that sits between the eye cup/shade part and the main body wouldn't be too hard (or easy, necessarily), but it would push the lens at least a couple mm further away from the screen which might be within it's range of adjustment to compensate. But if the "insides" really aren't able to be exposed by hinging the shade up and away, then it's not a big deal.

I'm likely to pick one up even if the shade can't be hinged.

Leon Benzakein

PostTue Dec 08, 2020 4:33 pm

Just some input from a guy who has been around the block a few times.
Ok, Boomer. I hear you say. Oh, you did not say that. Must be the voices in my head.

In the days of dinosaurs most of the black and white EVF did not have the function of being able to tilt the loupe away from the screen and we survived quite well, thank you.

Actually when I think of 3rd party EVF's, how many do have the hinge thing?

Does the BMD one have the hinge thing?

I can see the advantage of being able to momentarily remove the loupe but I think that it adds extra design faults.

robedge

PostTue Dec 08, 2020 8:38 pm

Leon Benzakein wrote:Just some input from a guy who has been around the block a few times.
Ok, Boomer. I hear you say. Oh, you did not say that. Must be the voices in my head.

In the days of dinosaurs most of the black and white EVF did not have the function of being able to tilt the loupe away from the screen and we survived quite well, thank you.

Actually when I think of 3rd party EVF's, how many do have the hinge thing?

Does the BMD one have the hinge thing?

I can see the advantage of being able to momentarily remove the loupe but I think that it adds extra design faults.

The Olympus EVF that I purchased for my Leica M (Typ 240) way back in 2014 has a hinge :) At the time, Leica's own EVF was the Olympus rebranded, the Olympus being significantly cheaper.

Amazingly, this past August someone posted a video on YouTube about it.

Leica EVF - Why you need an EVF for your Leica M camera! (Olympus VF-2 on Leica M240)

I'll grant you that the discontinued, but much sought after, Toyo and Rodenstock loupes that I use on an Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 ground glass don't have a hinge :)

robedge

PostTue Dec 08, 2020 9:29 pm

Tom Donalek wrote:It's disappointing that the eye cup can't hinge up so you can at least get an idea about framing a shot when you can't get your eye to it. (Particularly with the BMPCC 4k/6k with their non-moving main screens.) From the images on the manufacturer's site, it looks like the eye cup piece attaches to the main body/screen with a screw at each of the four corners. I wouldn't encourage anyone to risk damaging their device, but just in case anyone got curious and took the eye cup/shade element off to see what it's like underneath, I'd love to hear about it. Making a hinge that sits between the eye cup/shade part and the main body wouldn't be too hard (or easy, necessarily), but it would push the lens at least a couple mm further away from the screen which might be within it's range of adjustment to compensate. But if the "insides" really aren't able to be exposed by hinging the shade up and away, then it's not a big deal.

I'm likely to pick one up even if the shade can't be hinged.

I'm pretty sure that I'm missing something here. What do you envisage that would be different from using the tilting mount shown at 13:35 in this video:

Overlander

PostTue Dec 08, 2020 9:59 pm

So I am guessing this won't work on the Ursa G2 as it is HDMI not SDI, or, would a SDI to HDMI adapter work?

Ellory Yu

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 3:21 pm

Overlander wrote:So I am guessing this won't work on the Ursa G2 as it is HDMI not SDI, or, would a SDI to HDMI adapter work?

Should be able to use an HDMI to SDI adapter from BMD.

ricardo marty

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 3:56 pm

For me, the best form factor of any evf is the Zacuto Kameleon EVF Pro. and is the size that I would consider adequate for the p-4k-6k bmd cameras. (4.9 x 2.75 x 2.83" / 12.45 x 6.99 x 7.19 cm)
But being a Zacuto its price is way over. If someone made something like this for under 1k and work with HDMI I'm sure it would fly off the shelves. even the PORTKEYS OEYE-3G Electronic Viewfinder with a lower price and only HDMI would work better.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... html/specs

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... ml/reviews

Ricardo Marty
DVR_S 18.5, Asus ProArt PD5, 2.5 GHz i7 16-Core 64GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM GeForce RTX 3070 1TB M.2 NVMe Window 11, LenovoLegion 2.6 i7 10750h 2.6, 64gb 3200mhz, rtx 2060, 1tb ssd M.2 Win 11 BenQ PD3420Q, Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6700. PreSonus AudioBox

Leon Benzakein

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 4:52 pm

Overlander wrote:So I am guessing this won't work on the Ursa G2 as it is HDMI not SDI, or, would a SDI to HDMI adapter work?

Here is a thought.

Purchase a BMD 5" Video Assist.

This will give you the following:
(1) SDI to HDMI converter (and HDMI to SDI)
(2) an extra 5" onboard screen that can face in any direction
(3) an external recorder
(4) an IP interface for streaming
(5) waveform, etc.(I think)

You can then plug the EVF in the VA 5" HDMI output.

Good luck with handheld work. I have not solved that issue yet. But watch this space!

Leon Benzakein

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 5:03 pm

robedge wrote:I'm pretty sure that I'm missing something here. What do you envisage that would be different from using the tilting mount shown at 13:35 in this video:

Would I be correct in saying that Tom is talking about the loupe being able to hinge away from the screen.
So that you can see the screen as a monitor.

robedge

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 6:09 pm

Leon Benzakein wrote:
robedge wrote:I'm pretty sure that I'm missing something here. What do you envisage that would be different from using the tilting mount shown at 13:35 in this video:

Would I be correct in saying that Tom is talking about the loupe being able to hinge away from the screen.
So that you can see the screen as a monitor.

That's the impression that I had, assuming that by screen you mean the EVF's screen. I guess I don't understand the practical need for that.

Tom Donalek

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 10:21 pm

It's exactly the issue that the friend illustrates at 15:11 in that video. Yes, back in the iron age, there was no option except the attached, fixed EVF, just as before that in the bronze age, we could only look through the viewfinder of the film camera. (Though the industrial revolution did bring the video tap to film cameras...) Yes, people made far better films than I can with today's bells, whistles and conveniences.

I would like to be able to rig my 4k with an EVF positioned for some sort of "normal" shooting position (such as on the shoulder or pressed against my upper-right chest.) With the rig on a tripod, you can see the rear screen to frame and lean in to look into the EVF to focus. Sometimes I could use a 5" to 7" monitor on the rig. Some people prefer monitors, but I like to have an EVF. As I get older, my close focus eyesight isn't great, even with glasses, so an EVF with good adjustable optics is easier than trying to focus looking at a monitor a few inches/cm from my eyes, like on a shoulder rig. Plus, the eye cup against your head can add to stability a little.

Often, hand held, you need to shoot from some other position, where it's hard to hold the camera and get your eye to the EVF or see the rear screen. That's what the friend in the video is getting at at 15:11. With 1980s EVFs, it was a teeny, tiny B&W display that would be useless from some distance away without the optics in the eyepiece. They were super-crisp (as was my eyesight) but today, we have better options. Because this unit has a small screen, it would be preferable to use it directly sometimes.

If the eye cup/shade hinged up, then you could flip it out of the way and see the screen itself when you are in an awkward position. It isn't absolutely necessary, but it would be more convenient some of the time.

I'm likely to get one because it's 80% of what I've been looking for over the last few years (mostly because of the price range compared with older, much more expensive options like those from Zacuto.)

edit: Of course, if the BMPCC 4k/6k cameras had tilting or "flippy" screens, then this wouldn't be an issue ....

robedge

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 10:24 pm

Tom Antos did a review of this EVF last week:

This afternoon, he also posted a review of the more expensive OEYE-3G:

Bunk Timmer

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 11:30 pm

Near the end, after using it for one day, Tom Antos repeats he loves the cross conversion hdmi/sdi. There is no such thing as a cross conversion. Also no talk about the noise of the fan. It has more or less the same loudness as bmcc 2.5k but then in a higher pitch. It’s the number one concern with this evf, yet no mentioning of it.
Next

Return to Cinematography