Davinci Resolve Studio License Delivery Time

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

renehermi

Davinci Resolve Studio License Delivery Time

PostMon Dec 07, 2020 3:53 pm

Sorry if this might be off-topic or does not belong here but I did not find a better contact option.

I've ordered a DR Studio license (incl. speed editor) more than 2 weeks ago from a German authorized DR dealer.
They can not tell me any delivery time and their last response was that it takes a "few" weeks until you (Blackmagicdesign) can deliver licenses because you ran out of them. :?

I don't care about the speed editor and I am only eager to the studio license.

I wonder what's going on. It's 2020 and buying a software key which is sent via mail should be a matter of seconds to generate and not weeks of waiting time. How can Blackmagicdesign be out of license keys?

I am using the basic DR version and really like it much but I need to edit all intra codecs from a Sony A7SIII which are not supported by the basic version. So at the moment, I am totally blocked by that long delivery time and am seriously considering changing Adobe Premiere due to that. I'd hate it but if I don't get an activation key soon I have no other choice.

Hope you have some insights for me.

Cheers
René

Jim Simon

Re: Davinci Resolve Studio License Delivery Time

PostMon Dec 07, 2020 4:18 pm

You might look into transcoding the media into something the Free version can work with so you can get started, and then when the License arrives, switch back to the originals.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Ivor_Bigunn

PostMon Dec 07, 2020 7:11 pm

Hi!

I would like to second this observation.

I ordered the Resolve Studio plus Speed Editor (Free while stocks last) in Switzerland on 26/11 but have not received it, and have no delivery date.

I understand that the Speed Editor is a Bonus, but I should be able to get a Resolve Studio Activation Code without waiting for the Editor.

Instead I am told " The activation code cannot be sent by e-mail. It is a physical product sent by the supplier in a box.
This reference “Bundle 1x BM-DV/RESSTUD DaVinci Resolve Studio (Code) + 1x BM-DV/RES/BBPNLMLEKA DaVinci Resolve Speed Editor for free” is also a special offer which contains two products, one for free.

We can only deliver to you when both products are available.

Blackmagic has not confirmed the delivery date yet."

I guess this is a result of un-anticipated consequences !! :(

I really like Davinci Resolve software, so I will wait, but it is disappointing.

Regrds

IB
AMD 5600X 6-Core Processor; Nvidia 3080 VideoCard; 32Gb Memory; Windows 10. Davinci Reslove Studio 18Beta

Mike1938

PostTue Dec 08, 2020 12:12 am

I only use the free version. I do not need the studio version. Having to wait for an Activation Code is ridiculous. Black Magic Design needs to have a better way of activating Resolve. I am a long time Adobe Premiere user. Every time I open Premiere for the first time I have to enter a User Id and a Password. Twice Adobe Support attempted to fix the problem and they failed. If my Internet is down, I cannot access Premiere. Eventually I may completely switch to Resolve. If you lose the Activation Code, you have to pay $295.00 again. :?

Mike Warren

PostTue Dec 08, 2020 12:54 am

Mike1938 wrote:If you lose the Activation Code, you have to pay $295.00 again. :?

There are some legitimate complaints about the way BMD does licensing.

But:

1/ Not that one. If it's a possibility for you to lose your serial number then write the code on as many pieces of paper and digital copies as you want and store them in many locations so you cannot lose the code. Basic backup process.

2/BMD have a very fair costing and license. Very few companies will allow a license to last so many versions without expecting to be paid an upgrade fee.
Resolve Studio 17.4.6 - Fusion Studio 17.2.2 - Windows 10
Gigabyte GTX1080ti 11GB - AMD 1950X - 64GB 2400
Gigabyte X399 AORUS Gaming 7
Intensity Pro 4k
Presonus 192 Audio Interface
Separate M.2 SSDs for OS and Resolve Cache

mjordan79

PostTue Dec 08, 2020 2:21 am

Mike Warren wrote: Very few companies will allow a license to last so many versions without expecting to be paid an upgrade fee.

Hope they will continue for a long time. I've just purchased my license, I wouldn't like to incur in a policy shift just now. :lol: :lol: :lol:

renehermi

PostTue Dec 08, 2020 9:21 am

Jim Simon wrote:You might look into transcoding the media into something the Free version can work with so you can get started, and then when the License arrives, switch back to the originals.

Yes, this might be a temporary option to work with. At the moment I am shooting in another not so well codec to be able to edit it with resolve.

Ivor_Bigunn wrote:Hi!

I would like to second this observation.

I ordered the Resolve Studio plus Speed Editor (Free while stocks last) in Switzerland on 26/11 but have not received it, and have no delivery date.

I understand that the Speed Editor is a Bonus, but I should be able to get a Resolve Studio Activation Code without waiting for the Editor.

Instead I am told " The activation code cannot be sent by e-mail. It is a physical product sent by the supplier in a box.
This reference “Bundle 1x BM-DV/RESSTUD DaVinci Resolve Studio (Code) + 1x BM-DV/RES/BBPNLMLEKA DaVinci Resolve Speed Editor for free” is also a special offer which contains two products, one for free.

We can only deliver to you when both products are available.

Blackmagic has not confirmed the delivery date yet."

I guess this is a result of un-anticipated consequences !! :(

I really like Davinci Resolve software, so I will wait, but it is disappointing.

Regrds

IB

So, if we had only opted for the studio license, we would likely have already received it. :lol:
At least, I am not the only one, who is waiting but it does not make the feeling of disappointment much better.

I'll keep you updated when I got my license if you are interested.

renehermi

PostTue Dec 08, 2020 11:18 am

Quick update: My dealer told me that they got a bigger delivery from Blackmagicdesign but I am not in that batch of orders and will not get the license in 2020.

They can not deliver the license without the speed editor and offered me a refund or to wait longer :cry:

Seriously, this means in the end I'll have a waiting time of 2 months at least for the studio license.

Jim Simon

PostTue Dec 08, 2020 4:30 pm

Mike1938 wrote:If my Internet is down, I cannot access Premiere.

That's the advantage of Resolve's dongle. ;)

Use it on any machine, any time.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Mike1938

PostTue Dec 08, 2020 4:52 pm

The disadvantage of losing the dongle I assume is that it will cost you $295.00 for a new dongle. :cry:

BrianHanke

PostTue Dec 08, 2020 5:19 pm

Ha, I was just coming here to post something along these lines. This has been my number one complaint with BMD for a long time: they make it awfully hard to actually buy their products. I remember a few years ago I needed an URSA Mini 4k and I had to shop around all over the country until I finally found like the last one available on the planet at some tiny store in Florida.

Same thing here. I emailed B&H Photo and they said they'd not only have to mail the activation code, but they'd wait to send it until the keyboards came in. And who knows how many weeks or months that will be. Come on! Just let us buy a license on the BM site and download it like every other piece of software from every other company.
youtube.com/brianhanke
twitter.com/brianhanke
instagram.com/brianrhanke

digitalFan

PostTue Dec 08, 2020 8:35 pm

B&H shipped the software the next day I placed the order. The speed editor is still back-ordered. I am in California.

renehermi

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 9:38 am

Is there any chance that someone responsible for product and sales management will read our experiences here? I welcome your feedback, guys, and hope we can move something, but this requires that someone officially reads our lines.

I also wrote two times on the Blackmagic Facebook site in the comments section, but I did not receive an answer at all. In my opinion, this does not look good to other interested people. If there are social media activities, they should be handled well.

@moderators: Please give someone responsible for this kind of question a heads up in your company :)

For a company, there is nothing worse than customers not able to buy and use their products :!:

BrianHanke

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 1:19 pm

renehermi wrote:For a company, there is nothing worse than customers not able to buy and use their products :!:

It's so crazy. Name me one other piece of software in the year 2020 that you can't buy online and immediately use. Everything from the tiniest After Effects plugin to the most expensive compositing app is a click away. Yet Blackmagic is stuck in this 1995 "authorized reseller" model. I don't get it...
youtube.com/brianhanke
twitter.com/brianhanke

robedge

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 1:31 pm

A Canadian (@CollingsRADC) who has a thread in the Post Production forum ran into this problem and was able to sort it out with a reseller. See this post and the two following: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=125036#p696117
Video Cameras: iPhone, Pocket 4K
Microphones: Schoeps, DPA
Audio Recorder: Sound Devices

renehermi

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 5:37 pm

I called the DaVinci Resolve reseller and was told that the Speed Editor was back ordered to April 4, 2021..(!!) ..and that no, I could not have the key for the software download beforehand because it was bundled with the speed editor.

I canceled my order a moment ago... For the moment, I have no ambition nor time to deal with another vendor about this. :cry:

BrianHanke

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 5:54 pm

renehermi wrote:I canceled my order a moment ago... For the moment, I have no ambition nor time to deal with another vendor about this. :cry:

Hey Blackmagic! See what's going on here? Add me to the list. I literally would have already bought Resolve 17 by now if it was actually possible to do so.
youtube.com/brianhanke
twitter.com/brianhanke

Jim Simon

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 6:21 pm

Mike1938 wrote:The disadvantage of losing the dongle I assume is that it will cost you $295.00 for a new dongle.

Yup.

So don't do that! ;)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

mjordan79

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 9:15 pm

renehermi wrote:
I called the DaVinci Resolve reseller and was told that the Speed Editor was back ordered to April 4, 2021..(!!) ..and that no, I could not have the key for the software download beforehand because it was bundled with the speed editor.

I canceled my order a moment ago... For the moment, I have no ambition nor time to deal with another vendor about this. :cry:

To be honest, there is nothing to deal with. It's just waiting.

Ivor_Bigunn

PostFri Dec 11, 2020 3:42 pm

April 1st 2011 is ridiculous !!!

I guess I should have just ordered the software........

IB
AMD 5600X 6-Core Processor; Nvidia 3080 VideoCard; 32Gb Memory; Windows 10. Davinci Reslove Studio 18Beta

Return to DaVinci Resolve