DVR ATEM Speed Editor Keyboard SDK

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

antoine

DVR ATEM Speed Editor Keyboard SDK

PostWed Dec 16, 2020 1:26 pm

Hi,

Is there a SDK for the new "DaVinci Resolve Speed Editor" keyboard ? I downloaded the Switcher SDK but couldn't find a reference to this new keyboard in it, and the changelog indicates "Changes in Blackmagic Switchers SDK 8.5.3 : here are no changes in this release".

I would just like to be able to receive input in real time, what buttons the user is pressing and the current angular speed of the infinite round knob

Thanks,
Antoine
BRAW Studio FREE and Premium for Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects, with a brand new Desktop .BRAW Player and Color Grader, as well as an automatic White Balance Color Picker tool

Xtreemtec

Re: DVR ATEM Speed Editor Keyboard SDK

PostWed Dec 16, 2020 2:10 pm

This device is not linked in any way to the Atem.. So you wont find it in the Atem SDK ;)

Not sure if there is an SDK for it.. Heard people say that but have not seen it yet.. Might be locked to Davinci Resolve use only??!!
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

antoine

PostWed Dec 16, 2020 10:55 pm

Interesting thanks. My local retailer called it the "Atem Speed Editor", hence the confusion sorry.
BRAW Studio FREE and Premium for Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects, with a brand new Desktop .BRAW Player and Color Grader, as well as an automatic White Balance Color Picker tool

aramzadikian

PostThu Apr 29, 2021 5:04 pm

Any word on this? Would love to use the speed editor on other things. Any way people have found to use as a general purpose surface for creating custom hotkeys?

Thanks

Max Paperno

PostThu May 20, 2021 7:55 pm

FWIW, so far I've determined that the Speed Editor _can_ act as a standard USB HID (Human Interface Device) and send regular reports (8 bytes including report ID), but only while DR isn't running. As soon as DR starts up, the HID reports stop, and/or the whole HID interface disappears from the system (the Speed Editor then shows up as a "gaming" device in Win Device Manager). The HID reports are a bit "strange," but should be usable, including all the keys and the wheel (which seems to report in terms of movement speed + direction, vs. actual steps). There's also Input and Feature reports available, presumably to set LEDs and such, but I haven't investigated those at all. Most likely not keeping it, though I do like the wheel.

Only thing I could find online was a Reddit post and YT video showing someone using the SE in Premiere with some custom software. I'm guessing they're using the HID reports and mapping them to Premiere shortcuts, but there are zero details, just a tease.

Short of using the HID interface, looks like someone would have to reverse-engineer whatever USB communications are going on between DR and the SE. Typical.

-Max

Chris Hocking

PostTue Jun 01, 2021 5:57 am

Unfortunately, there's a token-based authentication system in place to prevent people from using the hardware outside of Resolve. Essentially the hardware requires a "handshake" every 5-10mins from Resolve, so without this handshake, third party software can't communicate with the panels.

I'd LOVE to add support for both the Speed Editor and the Resolve Editor Keyboard, but alas, Blackmagic seem to have gone out of their way to prevent third parties from using the hardware outside of Resolve.

Max Paperno

PostTue Jun 01, 2021 8:05 pm

Thanks for the info Chris. Also, nice project you have. Well, there are those HID reports... not sure I monitored it for > 10min, but I didn't see them go away until Resolve was started. I can check again if you want me to (in case you don't have a SE).

I get why BMD may want to limit DR to their own hardware (and yet a few 3rd parties are supported?). But why make the hardware so locked down, escapes me. My SE ("free" with DRS) is destined for eBay basically because I can't find a use for it which justifies its size (even with DR).

-Max

Chris Hocking

PostTue Jun 01, 2021 9:51 pm

Essentially, the panel is useless until "woken up" by DaVinci Resolve. To wake up the panel, Resolve does a token-based authentication handshake with the panel, specifically:

- Resolve send the panel a "wake up" message.
- Speed Editor sends Resolve an encrypted message
- Resolve receives that encrypted message and sends back an appropriate response
- Speed Editor receives that encrypted replied and sends back another appropriate response
- Resolve receives that encrypted message and sends back an appropriate response
- Speed Editor receives that encrypted message, and if everything checks out, sends back an OK command
- If Resolve is also happy, it'll send back an OK command

The panel needs re-authenticating every 5-10 minutes (it seems consistently 5mins on Windows, and longer on macOS) and because the panel has a battery, it seems you can disconnect the USB-C and reconnect, and this won't require re-authentication until after the 5-10 minutes has passed.

What this means is, you can open Resolve, then close it, and then use your own code to communicate with the panel for 5-10mins before the panel requires re-authentication, at which point your own code will stop responding to button presses on the panel.

The authentication process is very complex - it seems to use encrypted tokens with a salt - so you can't simply just monitor the HID traffic to determine a pattern, because the data will be different every time.

I've reached out to Blackmagic, and it seems like upper management is pretty keen on keeping this harder only to Resolve, so I don't see this changing anytime soon, and it's fairly unlikely anyone will be able to "crack the code".

The hardware firmware is also encrypted, so the chance of someone coming out with custom firmware is also fairly low.

Max Paperno

PostTue Jun 01, 2021 10:47 pm

Chris Hocking wrote:Essentially, the panel is useless until "woken up" by DaVinci Resolve.

Ah indeed, I re-tested here and it's all just as you describe. And useless. Oh well.

Chris Hocking

PostWed Jun 02, 2021 2:53 am

Feel free to reach out directly (https://commandpost) if you want to chat further about our experimentations, but alas, I think we've basically reached a dead-end - sorry!

Return to Software Developers