Before upgrading to Resolve 17...

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

michel-ki

Re: Before upgrading to Resolve 17...

PostMon Nov 23, 2020 1:47 pm

Could anybody describe the process of backing up my Database before upgrading?
The moment the term "PostgreSQL" got introduced, I got lost :/.
Thanks!

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Nov 24, 2020 2:40 am

Please go to the project manager and if you dont see databases listed on the left select the icon nest to the the heading 'Projects' to open the database panel.

Now you can see your databases.. you may only have one 'Disk Database' and if so, select that and then review the icons above the database section for 'backup'

details for all this in the extensive manual.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

LaurieCarroll

PostTue Nov 24, 2020 8:47 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:No. The current Resolve Studio activation codes and dongles work with Resolve 17 Studio.

Thanks I was looking for this info too myself.....so will wait till 17 is in full version so to speak....

You have some simple but REALLY neat updates here in 17 from the YT videos I have been watching... eg the Titles Fonts shown as they are, rolling over it I think and similar....so very useful! Thanks Laurie :o
WIN 10 64Bit Home, Samsung M.2 860 EVO SSD for C drive, 16Meg RAM, Nvidia GTX 1080T1 GPU
AMD Ryzen 7 1700 3GHZ

tonysal

PostThu Nov 26, 2020 11:51 pm

As Marc Wielage suggested and I fully agree with the concept of creating a bootable clone of your current installation which has a Resolve Release build on it.

Install the beta version of Resolve on the second cloned bootable drive and use it for testing only.

I use this workflow for testing out new releases of Mac OSX and Beta versions of any software which I cannot commit to for mission critical projects.

I recommend buying a license of carbon copy cloner to create the external bootable hard drive or SSD. I have done so successfully for many years and have the ability to test multiple clones each with a different MAC OSX and Resolve version.

This method allows for importing and upgrading an earlier version of a release build database or importing an individual project file. In any case UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you test a beta build of Resolve without FIRST creating multiple database backups of the Resolve Release version to multiple external locations as well as exporting the individual projects themselves. If the event a database is corrupted resorting to importing the project backup will save you and might get you a raise from the boss for your thoughtfulness.

How many backups do I recommend well "One is none, two is one and three is just right."

Tony Salgado

MarcusWolschon

PostFri Nov 27, 2020 6:07 am

tonysal wrote:As Marc Wielage suggested and I fully agree with the concept of creating a bootable clone of your current installation which has a Resolve Release build on it.

A terrible workaround for the serious limitation that you can't have 2 different, major releases of Resolve installed on the same operating system. :/

Marc Wielage

PostMon Nov 30, 2020 2:08 am

MarcusWolschon wrote:A terrible workaround for the serious limitation that you can't have 2 different, major releases of Resolve installed on the same operating system. :/

Live it, or live with it.

Our tactic for the past 6-7 years has been to wait a month or two after the release of the .0 (non-Beta) version, and then upgrade. We have too many client projects to risk upgrading too early, before the software is really ready.

We are using the Beta on a 3rd machine off to the side, just getting acquainted with the new features and figuring out how it will fit our style of working. The panel upgrade is another consideration.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

YvesArt

PostMon Nov 30, 2020 9:31 am

I agree, this is the wise thing to do. although I am anxious to use all the new features of the 17 Version 16.2.7 is very stable and is the one I am using until the release of the non-beta version.
Thank you for your interest in my ART
Yves Lanthier

Iliya Gitlin

PostTue Dec 01, 2020 2:42 pm

Now I use 2 computers with 16 version and a separate computer for the project base.
If I update only one Resolve computer to version 17, will I be able to use the shared project base in Resolve 16 and 17 like this?
CPU i9-10940X
RAM 96Gb
GPU RTX3070+RTX3080 latest studio driver
Win11Pro 22H2
Resolve Studio 18,6,2

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Dec 01, 2020 3:39 pm

Iliya,

You will need separate databases for v16 and v17 as the information stored is too disparate.

v16 project databases can be upgraded when transitioning to be compatible with v17, but vice versa is not possible. It is a good idea to backup or make a copy of your database before you start this procedure (link to FAQ article).

Similarly, you can export individual v16 projects as DRP files to be reimported in a v17 database.

Regards
Shrinivas

stevelees

PostWed Dec 02, 2020 11:43 pm

Using this version, my GPU is only being worked to 60% instead of flat out like it used to do, why is this?
Regards Steve...

Gigabyte Aero 15 | Core i9 11980HK | 64GB RAM | NVIDIA RTX 3080 GPU | 4K AMOLED Display | 4TB + 8TB SSD

Emilio Mejia

PostSun Dec 06, 2020 7:35 am

Yep, I messed up that one. I tried to go back to 16 because now my Tangent Element doesn't work, and the database is no longer compatible. They should make a way to downgrade a database. Or give a prompt asking if you want to make a backup of a database before you upgrade it. I mean, it's my fault but some help would have been clutch.

KarlFf

PostSat Dec 19, 2020 9:53 am

Not directly related to the topic in hand directly, but...

I am using DaVinci Resolve 16 (Free) and bought Studio Version 17 with the Speed Editor keyboard.
Unfortunately Resolve 17 Studio isn't available yet, but I did receive my Speed Editor.

Should I install DaVinci Resolve 17 (Free) or wait for the Studio version to arrive?

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Dec 21, 2020 2:13 am

KarlFf wrote:Not directly related to the topic in hand directly, but...

I am using DaVinci Resolve 16 (Free) and bought Studio Version 17 with the Speed Editor keyboard.
Unfortunately Resolve 17 Studio isn't available yet, but I did receive my Speed Editor.

Should I install DaVinci Resolve 17 (Free) or wait for the Studio version to arrive?

The Studio version, like the free, is available as a beta on our web site.

KarlFf

PostMon Dec 21, 2020 9:14 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:

I thought that would need a Serial Number to download the Studio version?
As all I have so far is the Speed Editor, software supposed to follow.

Scott Leckie

PostMon Dec 21, 2020 9:49 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:

I got all excited there, thinking I could install Studio as an eval before my license comes though but it needs the license to start :(
Like the OP I've paid for Studio but can't use it, not even on 16, because the reseller can't get the activation keys out. It all seems very complex for a piece of cardboard with a number written on it :cry:

KarlFf

PostTue Dec 22, 2020 12:24 am

I got all excited there, thinking I could install Studio as an eval before my license comes though but it needs the license to start :(
Like the OP I've paid for Studio but can't use it, not even on 16, because the reseller can't get the activation keys out. It all seems very complex for a piece of cardboard with a number written on it :cry:[/quote]

It seems we're not alone viewtopic.php?f=21&t=128490

The funny part, yes there is a funny part, is that inside the Speed Editor box is marketing material to direct me to download Resolve 16 which is incompatible with this Speed Editor.

Please post, send, release the serial codes.

Simba1020

PostWed Dec 23, 2020 1:28 am

hello everyone,
Is version 17,free?

because :) as I understand its free, so I downloaded it and I cant use it,
ask me an activation code..
Do I have to pay? It should be free, am I right?

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Dec 23, 2020 9:19 am

Simba1020 wrote:hello everyone,
Is version 17,free?

because :) as I understand its free, so I downloaded it and I cant use it,
ask me an activation code..
Do I have to pay? It should be free, am I right?

If it’s asking for an activation key you downloaded and installed the Studio version not the free version

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostSun Dec 27, 2020 3:26 am

megapt wrote:Can the database be fixed manually? I need to downgrade from 17 to 16 because its buggy to the point of being unable to use it, rendering crashes upon effects, have to constantly copy the entire timeline content and paste it to an empty timeline to continue working....

No.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

waltervolpatto

PostSun Dec 27, 2020 3:31 am

My take.

In “Hollywood” (Co3) we don't upgrade until the version is well establish and stable, giving that the machines are the bread makers, you don't want to break them.

Usually I’m talking about 6 months AFTER the software is out of beta. Some issues are the usual: breaking of things, the software/plugin consideration, and the problem of update literally scores of machines at about the same time.

Having said that, at home I have the machine I use for play: get the database I want to work with and do two things:
1) export the projects I want
2) backup the database I want
3) import back the database and give a name blablabla_v17
4) install v17
5) upgrade ONLY that database and see if works.
6) for test, I also do a clean V17 database and import the project to see if there are differences in performance/bugs and such.

I “can” uninstall V17, install the last v16 and work on ANY other database that is not updated if I choose to do so.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled

MarcusWolschon

PostSun Dec 27, 2020 9:45 am

Blackmagic has never given us a a REASON, WHY only one version of Resolve can be installed on a Computer at the same time (even as different users), have they?

Scott Leckie

PostSun Dec 27, 2020 12:04 pm

MarcusWolschon wrote:Blackmagic has never given us a a REASON, WHY only one version of Resolve can be installed on a Computer at the same time (even as different users), have they?

I can't speak for macs but, as a software developer, I can say that there are some challenges in getting multiple versions of a single app installed on Windows. The Windows app install/upgrade workflow actually expects a single installation to be done per app, and uses version numbers to identify whether an app can be upgraded.

That said, it's definitely not insurmountable however it means taking control of managing versions away from the Windows install subsystem and managing it yourself (for example, ensuring that side by side versions don't overwrite each other, multiple copies of a database can be maintained and upgraded, etc.).

So I suspect that BMD have just figured that it's not worth the hassle for the (relatively) small number of people who would want two different versions installed on the same machine.

MarcusWolschon

PostSun Dec 27, 2020 12:41 pm

What we often do with Android apps is that a BETA/TESTING/DEBUG app and a PRODUCTIVE app have a different internal name (and often a postfix in the name as well as a different colored icon). So they are 2 different applications as far as the package manager part of the operating system environment is concerned.

Peter McLennan

PostSun Dec 27, 2020 11:54 pm

My current install is the latest free version of DR 16. My new speed editor will arrive in a week or so.

I have nothing whatsoever in my current install that I wish to save. A half dozen projects, all tests.

What are the best practices for installing Version 17? Should I delete the existing install using Windows Control Panel? Or just directly install 17, overwriting the old Version 16?

Should I upgrade my graphics card drivers before or after the new version installation?

Thanks!
Last edited by Peter McLennan on Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ASUS ROG X570-E motherboard, Ryzen 9 3900X, 64GB RAM, 1TB SSD boot, 2TB NVMe work, Zotac RTX 3060 12 GB, Behrenger Uphoria UMC 404HD.

waltervolpatto

PostMon Dec 28, 2020 4:48 pm

MarcusWolschon wrote:Blackmagic has never given us a a REASON, WHY only one version of Resolve can be installed on a Computer at the same time (even as different users), have they?

Yes, Dwaine actually was explaining why is a bad idea in another thread or earlier in this post (not sure).

It’s a bad idea. Execute at your own risk.

MarcusWolschon

PostMon Dec 28, 2020 5:09 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:

Yes, Dwaine actually was explaining why is a bad idea in another thread or earlier in this post (not sure).

It’s a bad idea. Execute at your own risk.

You mean "The Resolve user specific files (not the Application folder) are still the same. And stuff could get updated there that can break the other version. "?
That refers to copy copying a second PROD version with no changes to the application to support that.
If you have a separate BETA version, that one would be programmed to store it's user specific files in it's own directory.

robozb

PostWed Dec 30, 2020 11:13 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:No. The current Resolve Studio activation codes and dongles work with Resolve 17 Studio.

Wow Fantastic :) And where can I download from the Studio 17? Thank you so much!

Scott Leckie

PostWed Dec 30, 2020 5:18 pm

robozb wrote:

Wow Fantastic :) And where can I download from the Studio 17? Thank you so much!

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/uk/pro ... lve/studio

Yasser Saeed

PostWed Dec 30, 2020 10:32 pm

HP Z2 Mini Workstation
Display: HP Z27 QHD DreamColor
CPU: i9-10900K @3.70GHz 10 Core
GPU: Radeon Pro WX3200
eGPU: Core X RTX 3090
RAM: 64GB
NVMe SSD: OS 2TB, Data 4TB
NLE: DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6

Joshua_G

PostSun Jan 03, 2021 3:39 pm

Thanks, Yasser. Is it possible to make the Windows Sandbox and its' content active even after rebooting?
DaVinci Resolve Studio (latest stable) / Windows 10 Pro x64 / AMD 1920X / 32GB RAM / RX Vega56 8G.
BMPCC 6K + BMPCC 6K Pro.
Retired electronics technician and sound engineer, long-time amateur photographer, beginner hobbyist filmmaker for personal uses.

robozb

PostMon Jan 04, 2021 1:12 am

Scott Leckie wrote:
robozb wrote:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/uk/pro ... lve/studio

Thank you very much!

roger.magnusson

PostSun Jan 10, 2021 3:52 pm

Windows Sandbox is a virtual machine. Running DaVinci Resolve in a virtual machine on a "normal" PC is problematic at best. I assume it requires vGPU enabled to even run.

Skred300

PostTue Jan 12, 2021 11:47 am

Is there any news on a full release? How long does it usually take from beta to full version?

TonyGamble

PostWed Jan 13, 2021 2:21 pm

Why is it that when I backup my Database it goes to one folder?

That's todays with the date 13.01.21 in the filename.

And when I click on the Toggle Detailed Information it shows a totally different folder?

Am I being a bit stupid when I expect the 'information' to be wrong?

I am about to upgrade from 16 to 17 this afternoon and don't want to join the folk who get told off for not doing adequate backups.

Tony

roger.magnusson

PostWed Jan 13, 2021 5:18 pm

One is the backup of the database, the other is the active database.

TonyGamble

PostWed Jan 13, 2021 5:21 pm

Thanks Roger,

So as long as I keep a note of where the backup is I will not have a problem when I upgrade to V17?

T

roger.magnusson

PostWed Jan 13, 2021 5:35 pm

Yes, but to make absolutely sure everything is safe you should verify that you can restore your backup to a new database before upgrading.

TonyGamble

PostWed Jan 13, 2021 6:01 pm

Good point Roger,

Something to tackle in the morning with a clear head.

Tony

TonyGamble

PostThu Jan 14, 2021 12:22 pm

Worked out how to restore to new database.

Upgrade to V17 has worked without a hitch.

Onwards and upwards.

Now looking for the manual so I can connect the Speed Editor.

Tony

ddaedalus

PostWed Jan 20, 2021 10:09 pm

This whole discussion emphasizes the User being responsible for something that the Software Developer is responsible for.

Public Beta 17 is not a beta, it's a sandbox version without permissions

The whole reason for a beta is it's inherent downgrade-ability. It's not the fact there are bugs, bc these days THERE ARE ALWAYS BUGS IN EVERY VERSION OF EVERY MUDBALL SOFTWARE.
DHPD

Scott Leckie

PostThu Jan 21, 2021 1:05 pm

TonyGamble wrote:...

Tony

Hi Tony

I discovered the "Reference Guide" for the first time, last night - start Resolve and go to the Help menu and select it from there. That goes into quite a lot of detail about the speed editor.

Scott Leckie

PostThu Jan 21, 2021 1:17 pm

ddaedalus wrote:This whole discussion emphasizes the User being responsible for something that the Software Developer is responsible for.

Public Beta 17 is not a beta, it's a sandbox version without permissions

The whole reason for a beta is it's inherent downgrade-ability. It's not the fact there are bugs, bc these days THERE ARE ALWAYS BUGS IN EVERY VERSION OF EVERY MUDBALL SOFTWARE.

As a software developer, I would disagree with your point above, which I've put in bold.

First off, you're correct that all software has bugs so there is an element of risk in both production / mainstream releases and beta releases.
However, beta software always has a far higher risk as not all features have been completed, not all upgrade paths have been verified and not all testing has been implemented. In addition, the software will typically ship with known issues that have failed testing.

You cannot rely on beta software being inherently stable, and most vendors offer no warranty on beta software. In particular, while an upgrade path is normally included to help the beta testing (so that beta testers - which is what we are in this scenario - can try it on known workflows), it is extremely unlikely that many software houses give much thought to downgrading back to previous versions.
There are just too many unknowns, and too many (very fast) moving parts in the beta cycle to consider downgrade paths.

You mention "the whole reason for a beta..." but, with respect, I'm not sure you've picked out the correct reason. The main reason for beta releases is to extend testing to a wider audience, and include additional real-world scenarios.
Betas are exciting for tinkerers like me, but it's not a service to professional users - it's an optional service from users back to the software manufacturer to help test the solution.

Inherent in all of this is that if you depend on a software tool for your living, it would be very brave to depend on beta software. Better to have a separate machine (or virtual machine) for beta testing.

I did say that I'm a software developer, but I don't work for BMD so the above is my opinion and experience - BMD's approach may be different, although I've seen nothing that suggests that it is!

TonyGamble

PostThu Jan 21, 2021 2:16 pm

"I discovered the "Reference Guide" for the first time, last night - start Resolve and go to the Help menu and select it from there. That goes into quite a lot of detail about the speed editor."

By coincidence Scott I also found it yesterday.

A good read.

Tony

paultom

PostThu Jan 21, 2021 3:44 pm

Bumping this.

I'm not touching 17 until it appears as an upgrade option when I open 16. But this seems to be going on for a strangely long time...

Skred300 wrote:Is there any news on a full release? How long does it usually take from beta to full version?

roger.magnusson

PostThu Jan 21, 2021 4:04 pm

Around four months has been the norm previously.

jdsglobal

PostFri Jan 22, 2021 5:40 am

Scott Leckie wrote:

Tony

Hi Tony

I discovered the "Reference Guide" for the first time, last night - start Resolve and go to the Help menu and select it from there. That goes into quite a lot of detail about the speed editor.

After beating my head against the wall in Support...to no avail...I came here to see if anyone knew where I could find the instruction/reference manual for my new Speed Editor. A quick search and BOOM! - 2 minutes later I'm reading about how to use my new pieces of kit!

God, I love this forum! Thanks, everyone.
2020 Custom-build PC, Intel i9-10900X CPU, 10 Core(s) @ 3.70 GHz, 4.30 GHz OC, 128GB RAM, 2-2TB NVMe SSDs, 20TB Internal HDD Raid, Dual Nvidia RTX 2080 Super 8GB
Two BMPCC4K
Resolve Speed Editor, BM ATEM Mini Pro
Current Resolve Studio Ver. 17.2

AVIT PSY RUH

PostFri Jan 22, 2021 6:45 am

I did & tried everything to make resolve 17 studio to work on my updated studio gtx 1070 gpu. the error still pops that gpu not configured. can some one help me to get resolve 17 to get working on my pc without loosing data. coz even after bckup i lost my previous sessions.

Scott Leckie

PostFri Jan 22, 2021 2:27 pm

jdsglobal wrote:
Scott Leckie wrote:

Tony

Hi Tony

After beating my head against the wall in Support...to no avail...I came here to see if anyone knew where I could find the instruction/reference manual for my new Speed Editor. A quick search and BOOM! - 2 minutes later I'm reading about how to use my new pieces of kit!

God, I love this forum! Thanks, everyone.

No worries :D

I must admit that it's a bit odd that the speed editor itself didn't seem to arrive with any kind of hint as to where to find the documentation. Perhaps that's something they will address once v17 comes out of beta.

MarcusWolschon

PostFri Jan 22, 2021 2:39 pm

Scott Leckie wrote:I must admit that it's a bit odd that the speed editor itself didn't seem to arrive with any kind of hint as to where to find the documentation. Perhaps that's something they will address once v17 comes out of beta.

Any hopefully some incomplete developer documentation by 2025.

Devon Stanczyk

PostMon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm

If i download Beta 17, will the software "check for updates" and alert me when the official release is available? Is it possible to have Resolve 16 AND 17 on the same machine (macOS Big Sur)?
PreviousNext

Return to DaVinci Resolve