New MINI HDSDI/HDMI RECORDER

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

marcellomazzilli

New MINI HDSDI/HDMI RECORDER

PostMon Sep 17, 2012 12:12 am

Hi,
I would like to build a very light and economic HD Live kit using a MacBook Air with Thunderbolt and the new MINI RECORDERS due to be released for this fall.. together with a software like Wirecast.. Do you think this will work... also using a thunderbolt external Raid ?
1) Will I be able to use more than one MINI RECORDER (maybe 3-4... one for each camera) ?
2) Will Wirecast (or similar software) be able to seamlessly switch between cameras (as with a digital genlock) ?
3) Will the Ultra Studio 3D work the same (but, I guess, only for 2 cameras) ?
Marcello Mazzilli

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

Re: New MINI HDSDI/HDMI RECORDER

PostFri Sep 28, 2012 6:01 pm

siroma wrote:Do you think this will work... also using a thunderbolt external Raid ?

Should do.

siroma wrote:1) Will I be able to use more than one MINI RECORDER (maybe 3-4... one for each camera) ?

Only 1 Thunderbolt port on the Ultrastudio Mini's. So each one needs to be last in line. Effectively, no.

siroma wrote:2) Will Wirecast (or similar software) be able to seamlessly switch between cameras (as with a digital genlock) ?

Well, it depends on what Wirecast is doing behind the scenes. Because there is no genlock on these Ultrastudio Minis and likely no genlock on your computer, it would be up to how the wirecast software deals with two incoming signals on different clocks.

siroma wrote:3) Will the Ultra Studio 3D work the same (but, I guess, only for 2 cameras) ?

Ultrastudio 3D is a single input device. The Dual SDI inputs are for either Dual LInk formats or for left and right eye 3D inputs. Not two discrete streams.
Joshua Helling

Director of World Wide Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to Getting Started